Cirrus

The prevalence of extensive archetypes in Yu-Gi-Oh!, but in Duel Portal especially, has led to the downfall of synergistic decks and the discovery of such. Thus, this thread aims to create cards that may be used by a wide variety of decks, to provide power to decks that run fewer archetype-specific cards and more generic cards so they don't just randomly lose in the arms race of "who has the more linear deck that also runs faster because archetypes".

* denotes experimental.

[spoiler=2/27: Moonlit Eclipse | Lightning Blast][spoiler=" "]

H0WRIvK.png

[/spoiler]

Moonlit Eclipse
Normal Trap
Reveal 1 Effect Monster in your hand; negate the effect(s) of all face-up monsters on the field, until the beginning of your next turn.

Stand-in for Skill Drain (kind of? it's one-shot), who is going onto the hitlist. Not actually particularly effective in comparison to Breakthrough Skill and Fiendish Chain if against only a single target, but I think this card could see some use in appropriate decks - for example, the Purgatile guys that Zaziuma made.

[spoiler=" "]

trWVc38.png

[/spoiler]

Lightning Blast
Normal Trap
Target 1 face-up monster; destroy that target, then you take damage equal to its ATK on the field -1500.

Generic disruption. It targets, it destroys, it makes you take a decent chunk of damage if you kill a boss monster, and it hits face-ups only. A lot of DP boss monsters these days have various forms of protection, and this requires the absence of all of them. Just ... please don't randomly make more simply because of this card's creation.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/7: Cloak of Souls | Blessing of the Wind King | Calamity Machine*][spoiler=" "]

i2d6k8j.png

[/spoiler]

Cloak of Souls
Quick-Play Spell
When a monster effect is activated that targets exactly 1 monster you control (and no other cards): Negate that effect, and if you do, negate the effect(s) of the first monster until the end of this turn, then you can return up to 2 banished monsters with the same Attribute(s) as the targeted monster to their owner's Graveyards.

Rather niche second effect, but pretty useful first effect. Not as good as BfDD at making plays, but hey what can you do.

[spoiler=" "]

NydQ0VB.png

[/spoiler]

Blessing of the Wind King
Normal Spell
Target 1 face-up monster you control; until the end of your opponent's next turn, it cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects, be tributed, or be used as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material. If this Set card is destroyed by an opponent's card effect and sent to the Graveyard, draw 1 card.

Interesting cycling telegraphed protection card. Revised to be more useful.

[spoiler=" "]

9zwdaDr.png

[/spoiler]

Calamity Machine
Continuous Spell
When this card is activated and during each player's Standby Phase: Roll a six-sided die. Treat the turn player's opponent's columns as numbers 1-5, counting from their right. The turn player targets a card their opponent controls in the rolled column; destroy that card. If the result is 6, roll again. During the End Phase, if this card destroyed a card this turn: You can destroy this face-up card; draw 1 card.

I need to fix this card. It's super hilarious but not actually good or really playable at the moment.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/8: Commune with Beyond | Searing Sovereign - Levitas][spoiler=" "]

trhB3tQ.png

[/spoiler]

Commune with Beyond
Normal Spell
Target 2 monsters in your Graveyard and 1 of your banished monsters; switch their locations, then draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Commune with Beyond" per turn.

One-shot BfDD that doesn't let you make nearly as many plays, but it cycles! That's the important part, right?!
[spoiler=" "]

W6DfP3e.png

[/spoiler]

Searing Sovereign - Levitas
Level 7 - LIGHT - Pyro/Effect - 2100 ATK/0 DEF
During your Main Phase or if a monster is Special Summoned during the Damage Step: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you do and it is your Main Phase, send all cards from your hand to the Graveyard (if any). During the turn this card is Special Summoned, you cannot search your Deck. You can only Special Summon 1 "Searing Sovereign - Levitas" per turn.

We'll see how this pans out. Respect or counter, this card does both!
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/10: Arc Spirit]
[spoiler=" "]

KbiOTK6.png

[/spoiler]

Arc Spirit
Level 3 - LIGHT - Thunder/Tuner/Effect - 1100 ATK/400 DEF
You can discard this card: Add 1 ~ from your Deck to your hand, or if you have 2 or more copies of ~ in your Graveyard, you can draw 1 card instead. During the End Phase of the turn this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can banish it; add 1 ~ from your Deck to your hand. You can only use one effect of ~ per turn, and only once that turn.

Inspired by Thunder Dragon and BtanH.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/13: Tribute to Greed]
[spoiler=" "]

LdMMA1W.png

[/spoiler]

Tribute to Greed
Normal Spell
Tribute 1 face-up monster you control that was not Special Summoned this turn, then draw 2 cards.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/15: Blue Moon Magus | Herald of Gale, Irene]
[spoiler=" "]

JdLHEhc.png

[/spoiler]

Blue Moon Magus
Level 4 - WATER - Spellcaster/Effect - 1700 ATK/1200 DEF
During either player's turn: You can Tribute this card; the effect of this card becomes that of a monster effect activated earlier in the chain (you may choose new targets, if applicable). You can only use the effect of ~ once per turn.

[spoiler=" "]

T0gNAEa.png

[/spoiler]

Herald of Gale, Irene
Level 4 - WIND - Winged Beast/Effect - 1600 ATK/800 DEF
Once per turn, when a non-Token WIND monster is Normal or Special Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Gale Token" (Wyrm-Type/WIND/Level 2/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). During your Draw Phase, if you control 2 or more "Gale Tokens": Destroy all "Gale Tokens" you control, then draw 1 card.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/17: Rift Sentinel | Cantor of Silence]
[spoiler=" "]

EmJmsXj.png

[/spoiler]

Rift Sentinel
Level 4 - DARK - Warrior/Effect - 1900 ATK/1400 DEF
Cards cannot be banished from either player's Graveyard or Deck. During either player's turn: You can discard this card; each time a monster(s) is banished this turn by an opponent's card effect, inflict 500 damage for each monster(s) banished.

Point and counterpoint. Not actually even necessarily as good as Kycoo a lot of the time since it can't actively disrupt your opponent's existing resources, but it's a DARK Warrior! That's worth some brownie points, right.

[spoiler=" "]

uvqztll.png

[/spoiler]

Cantor of Silence
Level 4 - WIND - Fairy/Effect - 1700 ATK/1000 DEF
Neither player can activate Optional Trigger monster effects. If this card is destroyed (by battle or card effect) and sent from the field to the Graveyard: Shuffle 1 Spell or Trap Card from your Graveyard into your Deck.

Pretty decent but it's no Rai-Oh or Doomcaliber. Mostly because its ATK is only 1700! Kind of fragile and mildly situational but still very good. I am considering making it full-on all Trigger Effects but that seems to have a small chance of being too good - not sure yet because I do want 2nd effect to be semi-semi-relevant.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/22: Mirror Witch | Rimefire Serpent]
[spoiler=" "]

fVW6Hc9.png

[/spoiler]

Mirror Witch
Level 4 - WATER - Spellcaster/Tuner/Effect - 1300 ATK/1000 DEF
If this card is Normal Summoned: You can banish a Level 4 or lower monster with 1200 or less ATK from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Mirror Token" (?/?/Level ?/ATK ?/DEF ?) with the same Level, Type, Attribute, and original ATK and DEF as the banished monster, then change this card to Defense Position if you activated this effect

Experimenting with making a potential flagship. This is the kind of card synergy-based decks are fueled by; a power card that can be boosted by judicious deckbuilding and optimization.

[spoiler=" "]

fmxecBH.png

[/spoiler]

Rimefire Serpent
Level 9 - FIRE - Sea Serpent/Effect - 2700 ATK/2100 DEF
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by banishing 3 WATER and/or FIRE monsters with different names from your Graveyard (but at least 1 of each), and cannot be Special Summoned in other ways. Once per turn: You can discard any number of cards from your hand; your opponent discards that many cards at random, then inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card discarded this way. If this card destroys a monster by battle: Draw 1 card.

Part of a potential (?) cycle of nouveau chaos monsters. Actually I'm just doing some experimentation. The effect has a lot of parity but isn't bad.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=3/28: Dimensional Transport Unit | Unwinding Time]
[spoiler=" "]

d1H3wPn.png

[/spoiler]

Dimensional Transport Unit
Level 4 - DARK - Machine/Effect - 1900 ATK/1800 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: Banish the top card of your Deck, face-up. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can return 1 banished card to the Graveyard.

Kind of an interesting / cute card.

[spoiler=" "]

zgDiAZR.png

[/spoiler]

Unwinding Time
Normal Trap
Discard 1 card; negate all previous effects on the current Chain (if any), then the turn player ends the current Phase, then proceeds to the next one. (If a player would proceed to Main Phase 2, it becomes the End Phase instead.)

Flexibility is this card's strong suit. I've considered most of the best-case usage scenarios; you should think about what this card can do! I think it's a cool card.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=4/2: Rimefire Blade | Sandstorm Hammer | Eclipse Spear | Sandstorm Empress | Lightray Colossus | Soulstealer Necron | Level Gainer]
Too lazy to post rando stuff since it's a big update. Judge and evaluate.

[spoiler=" "]

7xmB6ur.png

[/spoiler]

Rimefire Blade
Equip Spell
Equip only to a WATER or FIRE monster. The equipped monster gains 700 ATK. When the equipped monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can inflict 800 damage to your opponent, then draw 1 card. During your opponent's Battle Phase, when an attack is declared: You can activate this Set card, then equip it to an appropriate monster you control.

[spoiler=" "]

tVSvpLJ.png

[/spoiler]

Sandstorm Hammer
Equip Spell
Equip only to a WIND or EARTH monster. The equipped monster gains 700 ATK. When the equipped monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard, then Special Summon 1 "Storm Token" (Thunder-Type/WIND/Level 4/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). During your opponent's Battle Phase, when an attack is declared: You can activate this Set card, then equip it to an appropriate monster you control.

[spoiler=" "]

qMramRr.png

[/spoiler]

Eclipse Spear
Equip Spell
Equip only to a LIGHT or DARK monster. The equipped monster gains 700 ATK. When the equipped monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can gain 500 LP, then return 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT or DARK monster with 1500 DEF or less from your Graveyard to the hand. During your opponent's Battle Phase, when an attack is declared: You can activate this Set card, then equip it to an appropriate monster you control.

[spoiler=" "]

L50ZIJr.png

[/spoiler]

Sandstorm Empress
Level 9 - WIND - Rock/Effect - 2300 ATK/2900 DEF
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by banishing 3 EARTH and/or WIND monsters with different names from your Graveyard (but at least 1 of each), and cannot be Special Summoned in other ways. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Storm Token" (Thunder-Type/WIND/Level 4/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). Your opponent cannot target other monsters you control for card effects.

[spoiler=" "]

NrbnroB.png

[/spoiler]

Lightray Colossus
Level 8 - LIGHT - Rock/Effect - 2800 ATK/1000 DEF
While face-up on the field, this card is also EARTH-Attribute. You can banish 1 EARTH and 1 LIGHT monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your hand. You can banish 1 EARTH and 1 LIGHT monster from your hand; Special Smmon this card from your Graveyard. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; negate that target's effect(s) until the beginning of your next turn, also it loses 500 ATK and DEF.

[spoiler=" "]

oPvEVRF.png

[/spoiler]

Soulstealer Necron
Level 5 - DARK - Fiend/Effect - 2000 ATK/1800 DEF
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding 1 monster card. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 other monster in your Graveyard; shuffle this card and that target into the Deck, then Special Summon 1 "Husk Token" (Level 5/DARK/Zombie-Type/2000/1800). You can only use this effect of "Soulstealer Necron" once per turn.

[spoiler=" "]

vA9man8.png

[/spoiler]

Level Gainer
Level 1 - LIGHT - Reptile/Effect - 0 ATK/600 DEF
If this card is in the Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 5 or higher monster you control; increase its Level by 1, and if you do, Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. You can only use the effect of "Level Gainer" once per turn.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=4/4: Equalizer Matrix | Imperative Reprisal | Temporal Maze]
Posting staples today, just in case BTH / CED don't come back. Powerful defensive Traps that can shape the, uh, shape of formats and are roughly equivalent to Book / BTH / CED.

[spoiler=" "]

vTOIX9u.png

[/spoiler]

Equalizer Matrix
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 face-up Attack Position monster. It loses its Level or Rank until the end of this turn. Choose and activate 2 of these effects, then resolve in sequence:
• Change that target to face-up Defense Position.
• Negate that target's effects until the end of this turn.
• Negate the next effect this turn that targets it.

[spoiler=" "]

anN1k8G.png

[/spoiler]

Imperative Reprisal
Counter Trap
When an effect is activated that would Special Summon a monster(s), or when a monster Special Summoned this turn activates its effect: Negate any effects that would Summon a monster(s) in the current Chain, then destroy all monsters that activated an effect in the current Chain.

[spoiler=" "]

hgYjAHQ.png

[/spoiler]

Temporal Maze
Normal Trap
Target 1 monster on the field; reveal it if that target is Set, then shuffle that target into the Deck. Its controller can Special Summon 1 monster from their Deck with the same name as the shuffled monster during the next Standby Phase. If they do, they cannot Normal Summon or Set that turn.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=4/8: Four Origin Gathering | Quicken]
[spoiler=" "]

TJ2B2R4.png

[/spoiler]

Four Origin Gathering
Normal Spell
At the start of your Main Phase 2: Target 4 monsters with different Attributes in your Graveyard; shuffle all 4 into the Deck, then draw 2 cards. You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn.

[spoiler=" "]

vAOu74y.png

[/spoiler]

Quicken
Quick-Play Spell
If you control 1 or fewer monsters: Draw 1 card. Immediately after this card resolves, activate 1 Normal Spell from your hand or Spell & Trap Zone. You cannot Special Summon monsters until the end of your next turn. You can only activate 1 "Quicken" per turn.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=4/14: Empyreal Melodist | Polychrome Prodigy]
[spoiler=" "]

4T17hSS.png

[/spoiler]

Empyreal Melodist
Level 3 - LIGHT - Fairy/Tuner/Effect - 900 ATK/600 DEF
You can return 1 face-up Spellcaster-Type monster you control to your hand; Special Summon this card from your hand, then you can Normal Summon 1 Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand as an additional Normal Summon. You can only use this effect of "Empyreal Melodist" once per turn.

[spoiler=" "]

762rFuQ.png

[/spoiler]

Polychrome Prodigy
Level 4 - LIGHT - Spellcaster/Effect - 1400 ATK/1000 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can look at the top card of your Deck, then you can send it to the Graveyard, otherwise put it on the bottom of your Deck. During the Main Phase of this turn, if the sent card was a Normal Spell Card, you can activate the effect of that card in your Graveyard. If this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can send 1 Spell Card from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 3 Spell Cards in your Graveyard; your opponent randomly adds 1 of them to your hand.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=5/10: Warp Gate | Ignition Drive | Furious Counterstrike]
[spoiler=" "]

T6OxHOP.png

[/spoiler]

Warp Gate
Normal Spell
Special Summon 1 "Frigate Token" (Level 4/LIGHT/Machine-Type/1000 ATK/1000 DEF), then you can draw 1 card for each "Warp Gate" card in your Graveyard. If the "Frigate Token" Special Summoned by this card leaves the field by an opponent's card (by battle or effect): You take 1000 damage.

[spoiler=" "]

bo0XCa2.png

[/spoiler]

Ignition Drive
Continuous Spell
Once per turn: You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, then if it was a Monster Card, choose and activate one of the following effects:
• Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.
• Target 1 face-up monster with 1000 DEF or less; destroy that target.
You can only control 1 "Ignition Drive".

[spoiler=" "]

atu2yGC.png

[/spoiler]

Furious Counterstrike
Counter Trap
During the Damage Step, when an opponent's monster battles your monster and is not destroyed: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy it at the end of the Damage Step, then inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of its ATK on the field.

[/spoiler]
Actual updates pending schedule. I will put in a nicer-looking index when I have time.

Moonlit Eclipse is a nice card to bypass locks and almost every unbreakable fields tbh. It's definitely a sweet option to consider depending on what's currently being played.

I honestly prefer even the vanilla trap hole over Lightning blast, even if it's not chainable. Chainable removal's sweet and all, but I tbh don't see that much merit of it, and you get burned on top of it(not that bad, but still). Probably in a trap heavy deck, or when the meta consists of so many backrow popper like in Mermail era, but I'm really skeptical still whether it has merits at the moment or not.

Moonlit Eclipse sounds really neat, and would be useful against a few specific locks and/or pushing one. In particular, I see this with Dread Angel of the Rose being a beautiful thing. I also see it being an out against Breeze if that Deck ever arises again. Lightning Blast seems meh, but you could be a pro and destroy a big monster, then chain Barrel Behind the Door so you essentially have a mini Volcasaurus. In all seriousness, I'm going to have to side with Toyo on that one. Making it a Quick-Play Spell Card would be a start to upgrading it, essentially making it a decent replacement for Offerings to the Doomed if you need the draw

That being said, I appreciate where this is all going. Even though I tend to run the archetype avenue, I value the random generic card, and search for such cards or random generic support that fits into whatever I run. Both Dark Dimension and Dread Angel were by products of this, whether it be using the techs made by other players or the boss monsters made by Konami. It was all in the name of a solid Deck, and this seems to be no exception here, so I encourage to keep such up before the tournament and maybe I can find a few to add onto the March Side Deck and Staple Thread

Tribute to greed is like that existing trap card (which strangely I forgot its name now, its art has fiery bird and it's a trap) just better in every way.
Definitely needs a nerf, maybe have it tribute a ritual / fusion / gemini / spirit instead? (synchros definitely do not need any more encouraging support of this sort so I left them out).

I know about Soul Transition, and I don't agree that Tribute to Greed is better in every way. In this case, being a Normal Spell is not strictly superior to being a Normal Trap because the timing windows in which to activate Normal Spells is much smaller and the cost interacts with the board (specifically - your own board). Try playing Tribute to Greed in Qlis over Soul Transition - I probably wouldn't like it much more than actually playing Soul Transition. I would agree if this was a comparison between Common Charity and Allure of Darkness, however.

However, Tribute to Greed has the perks of being faster and having much less conditions/restrictions. I think the card is too dangerous as a highly splashable +0 deck thinner (Allure, D-Draw, etc.). Sure, it is not as fast as the discard deck thinners, but it's not like it will be that difficult to make it live; at the very least, this card would cost you the Normal Summon that normally you would save by discarding the monster. Plus this would work well along monsters with on-Normal Summon effects (Stratos-ish searchers, etc.).

Please provide a proof-of-concept that abuses the card such that a deck becomes overpowering with it. I know what it has the potential to do.

If a criticism only talks about the good parts of the card, anything's going to sound overpowered. What's being left out is that typically the timing window for a filter card such as Allure and Recharge is before you set up plays, and Tribute to Greed is something you cannot (as a general rule) play easily in the same turn as that in which you are making a push. The light-ish limitation's sole purpose is to provide this caveat. It is absolutely good with normal summon searchers, and I am okay with that because it costs you the card on board. The card itself isn't providing a +1, the searcher is.

Possibly a non-Token clause or just a 1000 or more ATK clause might be helpful to cut down on some Level Eater/token tactics, but it's not a huge difference either way.

It's not that it is overpowered; the card is a solid deck thinner. The issue is that it enters in the territory, so to speak, of other +0 deck thinners, threatening with outclassing them, especifically White Elephant's Gift and Advance Draw, cards that also Tribute-to-draw-2. +0 deck thinners have their niches and are meant to provide a boon to certain decks (e.g. Elephant's Gift for decks with easily accessible Normal/non-effect monsters, Allure for DARKs, Trade-in for Level8s); but when every deck gets a +0 deck thinner, then the advantage/appeal/boon is diminished, if not lost.

If you want specific proof or examples, I don't have any as I have not even tested the card yet, but probably I would try teching a copy or 2 on decks that don't have access to more practical +0 deck thinners (e.g. Allure) just for that slight speed boost; or why not run this along said deck thinners for even more speed and go turbo (not saying that it is bad).

Sure, the card doesn't help with pushes and is a bit on the slow side, but it still should be great for deck thinning and setting up. I'm not sure if having a generic deck thinner like this would be a good idea, as if Upstart and Duality weren't enough.

You totally missed my point. This has a drawback compared to all the other deck thinners you mentioned; it interacts with your board and not in a good way for you (generally speaking).

It costs you a deployed monster. The cost proposition between actually having a monster and not having a monster is huge. Generally, it costs you a Normal Summon if you have no board. If you have a board, it costs you something on that board. This is something cards like Allure, Trade-In, and friends do not do. The invisible cost of deploying an appropriate monster as a target for this card is very important, and makes it not live all the time nor as splashable as you believe (sure, it's splashable ... but so is Upstart Goblin, which is, surprise surprise, also a +0 deck thinner and prototypically so. most decks don't play Upstart Goblin. just because you can play something doesn't mean you should).

The only appropriate comparison to this card aside from Soul Transition would be Cardcar D (Soul Transition is pretty good as a parallel example). And they're quite similar in principle - restock your hand at the cost of tempo - but have different windows of play and also occupy different niches for different decks.

I welcome you to try playing this card in every deck. You will find that their effectiveness generally does not measure up to Allure of Darkness, Cards of Consonance, and its compatriots. Cards in general have somewhat more complicated metrics of measurement than just pure CA.

Yes, I did think Card Car D was similar in that it sacrifices momentum/whatever for card draws, and how some decks like it and others don't; so that makes this card as good as Card D, which is not broken, but... this certainly is more playable than Car D, and I'm not sure if having a deck thinner as generic as this card is a good idea.

Then, if you are a swarmy or floater deck, the cost of tributing that "deployed monster" is almost meaningless; heck, for some decks is easier to Tribute a monster than discard one; even Pendulum decks could benefit from this if a monster from a previous turn's Pendulum swarm survives.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing: like Card D, this card is bound to be more playable in some decks than others. But my main concern is that this card looks a bit too playable; as long a you have a monster on the field that wasn't Special Summoned this turn, it will be live; you don't really need to be a floater or swarmy deck to use it.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try on DP, but I'm not a fan of its concept of semi-generic deck thinner.

I only have really one thing to say about swarm decks. The "non-SS'd this turn" clause is designed to prevent such abuse.

Your opponent shouldn't be sitting there twiddling their thumbs on their turn. If they do they've lost anyway.

Also CCD is a +1. This card isn't as good statistically as CCD but rather different. Upstart is more generic than this card as a deck-thinner.

But there's a limit to how many optimal deck thinners you could have. < that's what I'm worried about.
Many of which do the same, can be ran in the same decks, isn't that too much draw power?
Whatever the answer to the above - I still generally dislike the concept, as we already have so many of basically the same content, oh so you took soul transition and made it spell speed 1 instead and freed the range of targets a little - what reason does it have to exist really?

What reason does it have to not exist? The reason for its existence is having options in the broadest sense. No one has to run it. The purpose of this thread is to give options.

You know if you draw your entire deck and don't run enough threats you're going to lose, right? Aside from Exodia you don't instantly win from going through all your cards any more. Draw power is useful to a certain extent (e.g. if you're looking for a specific card to combo out into), and this card gives the ability to play a semi-acceptable filter card outside of specific decks having the ability to play Allure / Cards / etc. Upstart Goblin is the "optimal" deckthinner (37 cards instead of 40!) and yet very few people run it because using every slot in your deck efficiently is important.

Soul Transition is a card with completely different applications and windows of usage. This is like saying Torrential Tribute is a Trap reactive version of Dark Hole. It is - but you're missing the point.

I can virtually guarantee that it won't have nearly as big of an impact as is thought by you and Voltex, and if it does it'll be in a slightly unintended way (for example Dandylion token -> draw 2). As stated in my post above - almost nobody runs Upstart, which is a straight-up deck thinner.

I responded to your other points but I thought the Soul Transition comparison was completely off the mark for the precise reason I responded with. (I thought that enough explanation of why they were notably differentiated cards in their intended usages was explained well enough by BtanH earlier in the thread.) On the other hand, my own statements haven't been rebutted appropriately enough for me to be convinced. Of course you may also think that I am being stubborn, which is fine; and we will agree to disagree.

The difference between Tribute to Greed and Soul Transition is simple: Soul Transition is chainable and abusable. Take Qliphort as a prime example of what other Decks could do in the future with the card. Technically speaking, Qli with Soul Transition is not only +1 from the draw, but it can be either an MST or an Evac. In both of those situations, the card is unfair in what it puts out, and leaves for other archetypes in the future to take their own turn with it, the next candidate probably being Vassals. In fact, Soul Transition if you ask me had no reason to exist on its own merit except for abuse, similar to Storm. I see Tribute to Greed as a version with some reasonable merit for existence in trade for limiting its use to your turn, forcing you to sacrifice field presence. I got a good laugh at the last few comments, and while I appreciate the humor, I think Cirrus had a decent idea. It's not something you would incorporate unless you have something to back up said play, but I think it's something interesting to sit on and work with. Intuitive perhaps would be the word

Archived