[Finished][Finished]CC Monthly Series [March 2015] (Please read the rules first)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Results]

Gadjiltron (Mass Hatching)

B: 12 (I…am definitely not a fan of concepts like this. High-risk, high reward card that would give you disproportionate reward compared to the risk if you build your deck properly. It’s random, yes. It has a chance of failure, yes, but the design of this card is unhealthy as it could simply win you the game right there with a little luck, or it would screw you up too much to be usable. And not to mention, even if this is unusable right now, something like this would be problematic in the future. At least, you remembered that clause to prevent further abuse. The intent is definitely good, but I honestly would rather take a safer approach to support those types. Also, I guess I should appreciate the fact that this doesn’t help in summoned the Evolzars.

Yeah, you nailed the card’s potential problems in your design notes, but that doesn’t really make the problems to disappear. )

U: 10 (Not really usable at the moment outside of Jurracs. Evols ran too many evoltiles (that would not be summoned by this) to use this effectively, and Inzektor, as you’ve said, can’t run this at all. A randy Worm monster mash-y build is possible, but I doubt it’d be effective. Aliens might touch this, but they need too much S/T to function. This would be something to watch out in the future, but for now…yeah.)

C: 19 (Not gonna dwell on this too much, but it’s quite standard, execution-wise. The concept’s pretty neat, admittedly.)

F: 12 (Standard grade. It does involve mass-hatching, so yeah.

G: 10 (Doesn’t see anything to be concerned about)

Total: 63

[hr]

Aquatic Ether Zerpant (Gradius Deployment Unit)

B: 17 (Not overpowered, but at the same time, felt a bit underwhelming due to reasons in the next segment. Also, first effect is really underwhelming since it only works on being attacked, and only giving you 600 to boot, and only being a one-use since it’s not a continuous trap card.)

U: 11 (You’d realistically summon this with FalchionB in its intended deck, and by that point, you’ll need to wait a whole turn to make this card not be a vanilla. The series kind of need more support anyway, but there’s little reason for them to summon this instead of, let’s say, GGX or Castel or something else. The second effect is powerful, definitely, which made this actually able to be considered as an option, buut…overall there’s not much situations where this’ll be worth it over other choices.)

C:  23 (I like how this card utilizes the Set to its owner S/T part like that, buuuuuuut, there’s a problem regarding this, see the grammar part of the review.)

F: 7 (Going to be nitpicky regarding this. This is not a deployment unit at all, to be honest. Mothership, yes, but this has little to do with deploying.)

G: 5 (Some reduction. First, the fact that it gives an effect to a set card is quite odd, but might not be problematic. The main problem would be how you said that the card was set as a Trap card, but the wording of the effect assumes it’s a continuous.

Total: 63

[hr]

Yugiohcreator876 (Card Apprentice)

B: 13 (Effects are balanced in regards to its stats, and it’s randomized. Well…It’s actually really underwhelming and doesn’t support Spellcasters at all unlike what you said, but it’s not too horrid. Also, some cuts since there’s a chance of the third effect being completely problematic.)

U: 5 (Nothing really would run this over something else, since many other things would be better in most decks right now, and this doesn’t really have any true utilities at all to offer. First effect didn’t really do anything, second effect is cute, but unless you can pop it or utilize it in a way, it doesn’t do a thing. And last effect is….oddly worded. It could very well break the game, but not sure due to the completely ambiguous wording. But yeah, it doesn’t offer anything of value to decks, and the fact it’s randomized didn’t help its case.

You should’ve expanded the effects instead of using the required effects straight.)

C: 18 (Granted, I like how you decided to make it like this to avoid this card turning into having too much effects.)

F: 8

G: 2 (Big stuffs. First, the monster effect doesn’t say anything regarding where the excavated card goes to (the deck would probably be shuffled in this case, but this is a wonky wording). Second, the trap effect. I think you mean that the card revealed by this cannot be activated, or something similar, buuuut, the current wording can be interpreted as disallowing effects to be activated outright. Which would be broken.)

Total: 46

[hr]

RealmReaver (Volcano-born Ifrit)

B: 5 (First, it’s a level 8 Pyro dragon-ruler esque card. That alone is problematic. The on-summon effect is even more problematic than Gadjiltron’s card, since this one doesn’t even cost anything. You’d lose nothing, but you can gain up to a +3 from this. Last effect won’t trigger most of the time, but punishing your opponent with 2800++ burn for destroying this by battle is overkill. Not to mention this’ll be summoned again immediately, and the fact that it doesn’t even have OPT clause. Also, excavating this by another copy’s effect is completely hilarious. So yeah, it’s completely broken)

U: 15 (Lavals, mainly. Volcanics could run this, but they don’t really appreciate the kind of help this provides, and banishing anything outside of Rocket and Doomfire there would be a pain. Still, this in Lavals would be quite potent. Point reduction due to its usability being closely tied to how broken it is.)

C: 17 (Standard stuffs, mainly.)

G: 10 (Nothing problematic)

Total: 55

[hr]

Batmed (Shekinar of Darkness)

B:10 (3 mats for a 2300 body with a temporary removal effect that removes itself from the field for too long, with a bajilion amount of clauses on top of that. Yeah, doesn’t really seem to be worth the effort.)

U: 10 (Dark World, Fabled, BA, and other Dark/Fiend decks can run this. But…why? It’s a -3 to summon. And its effects are…underwhelming at best. And the decks that can realistically summon this without minusing too much (BA), would only be able to trigger it once. So yeah. At least it’s playable.)

C: 20 (At least, I have to say it’s quite interesting, concept-wise. A recurring 1-4-1 removal with that kind of detail is nice, concept-wise. Too bad the restrictions and the hefty summon requirements killed it)

G: 10

Total: 58

[hr]

Fallenking27 (Eye of the Creator)

B: 20 (It’s…a weaker Vanity’s fiend with better defense? Sure then. Last effect is kind of an edge in favor to it, but…it doesn’t beat an extra 500 ATK. Still pretty balanced, designly-speaking.)

U: 12 (You can use it anywhere…but why? Unless on some very specific cases, you’d rather just run Vanity’s fiend over this.)

C: 16 (Pretty basic, I may say.)

F: 7 (What does being an Eye of the Creator have anything to do with preventing stuffs from, well, being created?)

Total: 65

[hr]

[spoiler=KoolGoldfinch]

Balance: 20

Usability: 5 This card is so painfully niche that I cannot think of any deck ever that would make use of it. It is slow, underwhelming, risky, and generally terrible.

Creativity: 15

Flavor: 9

Grammar: 2 (reducing this due to cheating in the tournament requirement. Putting the "Fusion, Ritual, etc" bit as examples of special summoning definitely does not count.)

Total: 51

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=EndUser]

Balance: 25

Usability: 20

Creativity: 15 The fact that this is a balanced Exchange means that it really is not very original, but the idea is well enough executed that I still gave a decent amount of points here.

Flavor: 12

Grammar: 10

Total: 82

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Noel]

Balance: 18 The majority of the card is quite tame, but in a deck with a large percentage of Pendulum Monsters, the monster effect can allow for a horrifying amount of plussing.

Usability: 22

Creativity: 25 Did great on this field. Adding searchability to oscillation cards, rather than, say, another pendulum searcher, is a cool idea.

Flavor: 10

Total: 85

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Radiant F.U.R.Y.]

Balance: 0​ This is a level 9, bottomless-proof, semi-targeting-proof, beatstick that is summoned for effectively no cost whatsoever. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenope. The only downside is that it cannot attack directly. This is simply ridiculous. Nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Usability: 15 Why wouldn't it be used? As I said. No downside. Didn't give it a 25 because I am not going to give it more points jsut for being degenerate.

Creativity: 5 This is just a really easy to summon, really difficult to stop monster. Hardly any creativity involved.

Flavor: 5

Grammar: 8 Targeting cards in deck and extra deck is not really a thing, but other than that this is fine.

Total: 33

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=TJDouglas13]

Usability: 5 This really has very little upside, aside from using it in silly little combos. I guess it allows you to discard a card of your choice from the opponent's hand, but it is covered in downsides for really no good reason.

Creativity: 20 Well, it certainly hasn't been done before...

Grammar: 2 Decided to use this bit to penalize the fact that this card's activation requirement really is impossible, as you shouldn't know when your opponent has each of the card types in hand.

Total: 52

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Silenth]

Balance: 18 Kinda abusable with OPT effects and divine wind, but since it has no alt-summoning requirement, I think it is fine.

Creativity: 24

Flavor: 15

Total: 77

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Gold_Armor]

Usability: 10 If you get to the point where you only have one monster in hand, this might be a slow but effective way of summoning it. Maybe.

Creativity: 15

Flavor: 15 No explanation given, but it is quite clear. Monsters teleport from hand to field slowly, and can't be seen in between the two places. Cool.

Total: 70

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Voltex]

Balance: 12 See, here is the problem. Igknights can summon this quite easily, and it acts as a Rhongomiant-esque lock on the opponent's summoning. This is a massive problem.

Creativity: 15 Anything rank 6 is nice, but a floodgate with a float effect is quite boring.

Flavor: 5 A mysterious dancer that prevents summoning! Get it? Neither do I.

Total: 62

[/spoiler]

[hr]

[spoiler=Striker]

Balance: 10 I understand the idea of anti-meta, but this is simply too good. It removes threats VERY effectively, at virtually no cost. Also, it is immune to both Raigeki and Dark Hole.

Usability: 15

Creativity: 18 A Grand Mole Variant, but that isn't something we have seen in a while.

Total: 58

[/spoiler]

[hr]

Nekroz of Kaleidoscope (Duchess of Plants)

B: 2 (Yeah, let’s summon two plant princesses straight from the deck. Or two Hermitree then overlay for Alsei. Being a ridiculously easy special summonable level 3 EARTH plant also allows it to access meliae, which then can revive this. This is very far away from what I’d call balanced. It even summons from hand so drawing your level 8s won’t even hurt you. I’d still give rubric some credits since you at least put the plant-only restriction and the OPT.)

U: 12 (Any plants decks that runs level 8s would definitely run this. Point reduction since the usability’s due to the card being really broken.)

C: 10 (Not the most creative card of the bunch. It’s a special summonable double lonefire that has OPT and more restricted target. So yeah.)

F: 13 (It’s a duchess of plants, that supports plant princesses. Fine enough, I guess.)

G: 10 (Don’t see anything wrong here.)

Total: 47

[hr]

Cirrus (Revenger Instrument, A-831)

B: 25 (Nothing to nitpick about here. Potent one-shot +0 removal on a level 7 synch. The burn effect is cute. Summon restriction is maybe an overkill restriction, but the card’s worth it enough due to being immune to such things as Bottomless, Torrential, and Warning)

U: 22 (It’s a level 7 Synch, probably the closest equivalent for R4s when it comes to synchros. Its removal is potent, but it’s fighting the slot with gems such as Yazi, both Rose dragons, Clear Wing, and other decent to good level 7s. Though, personally I liked it better this way since making it a definitive choice for 7 would mean this card is too good.)

C: 17 (Really basic, if I may say. Seeing Bottomless-esque destruction again is quite nice, arguably.)

F: 12 (Uh…I guess…I’ll go with what you say when it comes to flavor. Maybe.)

Total: 87

[hr]

Lightdiversion (Familiar Tyranno)

B: 20 (Usual huge level 4 monsters with drawbacks. But unlike most, this has an actual use. I’d say, that’s quite nice. The drawbacks miiiiiiiiight not be enough due to it having good type and attribute while being stronger than all other level 4 beaters AND having a semi-armades effect.)

U: 17 (It’s not really for most decks, but a searchable 2600 beater can be useful. It also has a nice attribute and type which allows it to get supported by a nice amount of cards. It makes the evolzars too, which is lovely.)

C: 18 (I like how it prevents you from attacking maindecked non-ritual monsters. Makes it have its niche while not being able to bully weak cards too much.)

F: 10

Total: 75

[/spoiler]

Alright, those are the results. Sorry for the extremely long delay, but…well, things happened. Personally I’m quite disappointed with the results, and it kinda did make me less than ecstatic to post it here. Was thinking whether we should inflate some of the scores to not make it look too low, but decided not to. So yeah.

Hopefully on your next competitions, you can do better than this~

At least, the top 4 have decent scores.

1st Place: Silenth/Cirrus (87 points)

2nd Place: Noel/Aqua (85 points)

3rd Place: EndUser (82 points)

4th Place:

Congratulation for the winners! Go PM Aix/Sakura to claim the custom membergroup prize for you who got it.

Fair enough then.

I apologize for frequently reminding you to do it, but even if the entries weren't as good as you'd like, things should've been submitted quicker.

Should you not have had the drive to do it or were busy with work, you could've had Giga/Toyo post them for you.

----

Anyway, Cirrus, PM me with the details for your custom member group.

I trust that Nai will handle the other parts of the prizing (points + reps); as this is technically their tournament. (I only intervened when necessary; mostly if Nai was away)

Erhh...am I doing it wrong or the sum of my score is really 87? which is different from the final result o.o

You... wait. Yeah. I apologize, I was the one who scored your card, so I must have messed up on math somewhere. With a score of 87, you should actually be tied for first. 

Either Nai or Sakura, could this be sorted out? It was my mistake here.

In my defense:
Balance: Igknights are stupid and I think pretty much everyone here would agree that they are the problem, not the cards they can play. I think the "Igknights can play it" argument is unfair to bring up; "Broken X archtype can play it so card is OPed" doesn't look like a solid argument.
Flavor: the "mystery" theme is more of a reference to its excavating effect: You don't know what you will get from the next top 5 cards, and then places them into the bottom of the deck, messing your next card draws entirely. Also, the dance can be interpreted as a magical performance or whatever that locks/prevents Summons. As an stretched reference, "Dance Princess of the Necloth" protects her kind from targeting and their Rituals from being answered with her dancing spells or something.

Archived