A collection of all the Extra Deck monsters I've decided to make and will make in the future. No archetype-specific cards will be listed here, although some might have stricter material requirements than others. Nothing too fresh and new, this is as much for posting as it is for archival.

Cards are sorted by rank / level.

[spoiler=Synchro Monsters]
---[spoiler=Level 4]
[spoiler=Frostreaver Knight]gfiNAju.png

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
This card cannot be destroyed by battle with or be targeted for effects by a monster that has 2100 or more ATK. If this card battles a monster, after damage calculation: Change that monster to Defense Position, and if you do, it cannot change its battle position and its effects are negated until the end of your opponent's next turn.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---[spoiler=Level 7]
[spoiler=Revenger Instrument, A-831]xYVnTq6.png

You cannot Special Summon any monsters. If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can banish 1 random card from your hand to target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, banish it. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation. Each time this card destroys a card (by battle or by effect), inflict 700 damage to your opponent.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---[spoiler=Level 8]
[spoiler=Splendid Magiciar, Arista]RfKKcrI.png

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more Spellcaster-Type non-Tuner monsters
This card is unaffected by your opponent's Spell effects. You can banish 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy it. You can shuffle 1 of your banished Spell Cards into your Deck to target 1 monster on the field; return it to the hand. You can only use one effect of "Splendid Magiciar, Arista" per turn, and only once that turn.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---[spoiler=Level 12]
[spoiler=Shorecrasher Leviathan]CRcKo3l.png

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can change all other face-up monsters on the field to face-down Defense Position. Those monsters cannot change their Battle Position until the end of your opponent's next turn.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Xyz Monsters]
---[spoiler=Rank 3]
[spoiler=Heartstoker Adept]r6I9H85.png

2 Level 3 monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: You can Tribute this card with Xyz Material, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; take control of that target until the End Phase, but if you do, only that monster can attack for the rest of this turn.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---[spoiler=Rank 4]
[spoiler=Trinity Blaster]MKlL1gc.png

2 Level 4 monsters
During the turn this card is Xyz Summoned: You can target exactly 3 face-up or face-down cards on the field; discard 3 cards, then destroy those targets. You can only use this effect of "Trinity Blaster" once per turn. Once per turn, when this card is targeted for an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate that attack, then inflict 500 damage to your opponent.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Artful Magiciar, Pleione]poq8gzI.png

2 Level 4 monsters
During your Main Phase 1: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; activate 1 of the following effects, based on the number of Spell Cards you activated this turn: • 1: Shuffle up to 3 Spell Cards from your Graveyard into your Deck, then draw 1 card. • 2: Negate the effect(s) of up to 2 face-up cards on the field, until the end of this turn. • 3+: Destroy 1 card your opponent controls.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Delusive Magiciar, Sofia]Ha42iAN.png

3 Level 4 Spellcaster-Type monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, then Set 1 excavated Spell Card into your Spell & Trap Card Zone, also place the rest on the bottom of your Deck in any order. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; inflict 300 damage to your opponent, then you can increase or decrease the count of Spells you've activated this turn by 1. If this card is destroyed (by battle or by effect) and sent to the Graveyard: You can place 1 of your banished Spell Cards on top of your Deck.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---
[spoiler=Rank 5]
[spoiler=Counterflux Capacitor]LL3cg9G.png

2 Level 5 monsters
This card cannot attack the turn it is Summoned, and any battle damage it inflicts is halved. During your turn, when your opponent activates an effect that would destroy exactly 1 Spell/Trap Card you control (and no other cards): You can reveal this card in your Extra Deck; your opponent Xyz Summons this card to either player's side of the field, using an Effect Monster as the Xyz Material, then negate that effect. You can only use the effect of "Counterflux Capacitor" once per turn.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
---
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Miscellaneous]
Nothing here yet. Possibly stuff in the future.
[/spoiler]

I like capacitor's design! However it's a little bit too strong.
I suggest you make it activate just upon rank 4s, as it already packs too much in sense that it is an advanced form of volcanic queen that lives in the extra deck and negates effects of some of the most commom ranks (3,4).
Having it be counter to 4 different ranks is just too much.

To specifically come up with a counter to a card cause you think it is really degenerate? Be honest Cirrus: Counterflux Capacitor was made to eliminate Trap Engineer Vivyzian, and only that card, because he found it to be very unfair. In fact, he considered calling it out by stats, which makes it unbelievably stupid. I mean, technically it has some fair points to it, but for the most part it shouldn't exist. Again, none of us should stop this low, and it is extremely disappointing to see someone go as far as to say "If you aren't going to nerf your card, I'll make it forevermore obselete", and I find it extremely disrespectful and painful to look at when I first saw it and learned of the intention with no one even once thinking maybe it was slightly disrespectful to make such a card. What's next, someone finds Dreads unfair and makes a Majesty's Fiend for DARK Fairies? Smh. This shouldn't be an example to follow, and thus I would reccomend removing it since Voltex is already working on the changes. Perhaps I am being a bit unfair to it, but I still see no other use, and it makes we sad to see such

I actually disagree, re: the card.

Originally it was going to just be a straight-out counter to Vivyzian, but it developed from there into an actual card. I think that you're somewhat biased because you heard it was originally going to hose just Vivyzian, but it has a larger role now; why should a card like this not exist? I think that an ED Trap with a specific niche could be an interesting addition to the game as long as we don't have too many. Since the rank 4 is immense and deep, the viability of this card being played on top of just some card is pretty good.

The most I could see after revisions is a couple timing changes and / or the targeting vector. Making it less and more useful against slightly different things (not necessarily just rank 4s but not so flexible either).

Hoser cards should be able to reasonably stand on their own as cards in their own right. If they can, then they may be evaluated from there (see Consecrated Light).

EDIT: I should add that new Vivyzian probably doesn't deserve to be hosed, hence: different things.

I actually disagree, re: the card.

Originally it was going to just be a straight-out counter to Vivyzian, but it developed from there into an actual card. I think that you're somewhat biased because you heard it was originally going to hose just Vivyzian, but it has a larger role now; why should a card like this not exist? I think that an ED Trap with a specific niche could be an interesting addition to the game as long as we don't have too many. Since the rank 4 is immense and deep, the viability of this card being played on top of just some card is pretty good.

The most I could see after revisions is a couple timing changes and / or the targeting vector. Making it less and more useful against slightly different things (not necessarily just rank 4s but not so flexible either).

Hoser cards should be able to reasonably stand on their own as cards in their own right. If they can, then they may be evaluated from there (see Consecrated Light).

Admittingly, I do like the idea of the ED Trap, but that was not what I was referring to, I was specifically referring to it being designed to counter Vivy due to your reaction towards it. Cards specifically made to counter another user's card seems fairly disrespectable, and that is what I mean by cards like it shouldn't exist. Outside of that, I can agree to most of what you are saying. I just find the motive with the card to extremely questionable

Think of it this way. This is how cards like GB Hunter are made. Except this design doesn't suck.

A lot of negation / counter-y cards directly / indirectly counter people's cards. I've made Rift Sentinel and Cantor of Silence as powerful preventative monsters in the past; I'm sure they hit random DP archetypes (Rift Sentinel in particular was designed to counter Inferno Tempest because Inferno Tempest is dumb even though it's not a DP card) so it's not like me designing hoser cards based on a specific sentiment is anything particularly new. >_>

(In fact I'm pretty sure Rift Sentinel hoses BtanH's Voyager cards / deck super hard.)

There's nothing wrong in designing cards to counter existing ones.
I've done so countless times, it would be a very interesting meta evolution if more do so as well.

Hell, in the real game - artifacts and countless xyz decks were at climax. Shaddolls came afterwards to thrive on their weaknesses and thus top regionals.
Winda was the biggest f*** you to moralltach they could've come up with.

It even happens in nature, if it is any relevant. Predators and parasitic things.
It is not disrespectful - just good.

So I was thinking you should change counterflux to

When a Rank 4 or lower Xyz Monster your opponent controls activates an effect that would destroy a Spell/Trap Card(s) you control: You can reveal this card in your Extra Deck; your Spell/Trap cards cannot be destroyed by that effect. Immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field in attack position, using that monster as the Xyz Material. During your Standby Phase: You take 1000 damage.

• 2 weeks later...

It only works on your turn when a card effect is activated that kills exactly 1 card, man. How often does that happen? It's pretty specific (now I can't MST on my opponent's turn if I control an ED monster!!). And it's not like Counterflux is even bad when summoned for your opponent now, as it's just a 3k beater with a bad effect (but not nearly as crippling as before).

It still negates that specific destruction effect, but only if the summon goes through. This means of course that if your opponent does not control any ED monsters, you will have to summon the monster onto one of your own ED monsters to negate the effect.

Re: Leviathan's stats; it's a generic 12 that needs only 2 materials. It shouldn't be amazing. Book of Eclipse on wheels is pretty good.

Just relooked at Counterflux and I think it's crazy now. The concept of "ED Traps" was scary enough, but now it is just too easy to play.

You control an ED monster? now you can stop whatever single-targeting removal card/effect the opponent uses. Bonus points if you can spare said ED monster and turn into a 3k-ATK beater. Even weak ED monsters that you leave on your field indirectly gain the somewhat oppressive "negate 1 single-targeting destruction" effect just for having a Counterflux in the ED. How about turning that Lavalval Chain you previously Summoned into a 3k-ATK beater and negating an opponent's card?

Then there is the other side of using in on an opponent's ED monster to further mess with him/her.

Just for existing, this card has a psychological impact and effect on the opponent and his/her plays. Heck, you don't even need to run this; players will have to be cautious from using single-targeting destruction while there is any kind of ED monster on the field, anyway.

Personally, "ED Traps" such as this just simply shouldn't exist or be a thing in my opinion; it looks like a nasty can of worms to open. Sure, right now it is not a problem because we don't have too many, but when/if the trend picks up and everyone makes their own, then DP may turn into a mess. Cards like this are a bad precedence.

... what

I'm not sure what to say. Did you read the part that it only works on your turn and not your opponent's turn? You can play your removal on your turn even if it's designed to be played on your opponent's turn - for example, chaining it to your Draw Phase. There's also a lot of removal that targets but does not destroy on your opponent's turn! Compulsory, D-Prison, Karma Cut, PWWB, Book of Moon, et cetera.

The ability to make rando pushes with the card will be looked into with possibly either a reduction of the ATK stat or just the reinstatement of the inability to attack the turn it's Summoned since you can only summon it during your turn anyway.

I'd like to make it just slightly more niche, however; currently it's unfortunately somewhat less niche than it could be. Maybe cards that destroy Spells/Traps instead. That would probably entail removing the part of the card where it goes to overlay on an ED monster, unfortunately - or just making it overlay on one of your own monsters regardless of its ED-ness.

I think the part about "bad precedence" specifically because it's an "ED Trap" is nonsense. The cost for running an "ED Trap" should be the slot it costs; theoretically you would be able to run a full suite of 15 if you do not need the ED, so they must be appropriately niche in their applications should you run them at all. I think certainly that this is important and they are hard to design well, but definitely quite short of impossible.

I did miss it was only during your turn. Besides, this card existing not only pushes forward those non-destruction removal cards you mentioned, but also punishes and discourages single-targeting destruction, which is not a healthy thing to do in my opinion; not because there is plenty of non-destruction removal it means that targeted destruction should be hurt or pushed aside.

On the last point, the "cost" of requiring an ED slot is almost meaningless in my opinion, and not enough to balance these "ED Traps". If it was truly a relevant cost, I guess people would think twice before playing Instant Fusion for combo plays, and I believe they don't. And, I repeat, you don't even need to actually run it as long as the card exists: you could bluff the opponent into thinking you have it in your ED to potentially get the desired oppressive effect on his/her plays.

I still think they are bad precedence because "ED" Traps" are basically free advantage that patiently waits in the ED from the beginning of the duel until the conditions are met, even if they are stupidly niche/specific or are loaded with restrictions and/or drawbacks; either that, or they end up useless because of their limited playability. In both cases, I don't see a good end for this concept. Heck, you are already having trouble with balancing Counterflux.

EDIT:

Taking that back because I actually have no idea of what I'm talking about since I'm not experienced with combo decks that use IF.

Also, I may not like the concept but in retrospect it should be fine if you get ED Traps and now I'm ok with it. At the very least, we will get to see and learn how ED Traps could affect the game.

Yes, I understand all your concerns; hence the importance of finding the correct strategic niche. It's not actually far from being balanced conceptually.

I see that you edited your post but I'll address IF vs this card; they're pretty much apples to oranges. You trade a slot in IF's case for explosiveness, and a slot in this case for a very specific protection clause (or, eh, what should be a very specific protection clause - hence the importance to find that clause). One is power, the other is a safeguard.

The cost of ED slots can vary wildly depending on exactly how many ED monsters that deck is able to make, but slots are far from worthless for most decks. I'd prefer more variety in my answers over running this card "just because".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived