[Finished]Contest - Astral Force for the lower Ranks

Darj

Requirement

Make a generic Rank 2 or lower Xyz Monster that is a target for Rank-Up Magic Astral Force.

Deadline
April 22th

[spoiler=Rules]

1. Regular YCM Rules apply.

2. The card must be a Rank 2 or lower Xyz monster that can turn into another Xyz Monster through RUM Astral Force
2.1 For practical purposes, it must be generic and require at least 2 monsters as Xyz Materials (you can use "2 or more monsters" clauses).

3. Entries must be your own.

4. Write the card text under the card so it is easier to read.

5. Written Cards are allowed. When submitting written cards you have to include a short description of the artwork or appearance of the monster (how does it looks like, what changed compared to the original monster, etc.)

6. Check over your card before submitting it (OCG/grammar, card stats/effect), or you may get less points if it has a lot of mistakes.

7. No awkward ATK/DEF values such as XX30 or XX10.

[/spoiler]

Entry fee: 50 points (will go to the pot)

Prizes
1st -  50% of the pot + 1 rep
2nd - 30% of the pot
3rd - 15% of the pot

Pot: 1550
(Donations accepted. Thanks to Divine Dragon Sage for their donations.)

Participants

(I will only accept a maximum of 10 participants.)

1. Minato Sakai

2.  hectorbastida

3. Nekroz Kaleidoscope

4. Divine Dragon Sage

5. Cr47t

6. A Bagel Character

7. Number IV

8. Chivaldry

Judges
1.Voltex

Accepting up to 2 judges. If you are interested, PM me your grading criteria. You must have passed the Judge Exam.

Grading Criteria

[spoiler=]

Balance and Design [25] - The card has a good effect without being broken, suitable ATK/DEF for its Level/Rank and kinds of materials (generic or non-generic) required, etc.

Creativity and Flavor [20] - The effect is unique or underused, has an appropriate or clever name, etc.
Theme [5] - Follow the requirements of the card. (generic Rank1~2 monster that is a target for Astral Force).

Note: In the Balance/Design criteria, I will also consider the Xyz Monster your card can be "transformed" into, so I encourage you to be careful with the power of your Xyz and the Attribute/Type combination you pick for it.[/spoiler]

Hi guys, this is my entry for the contest.

[spoiler=Card]

dimensional_rebellion_dragon_by_bas_knig

Dimensional Rebellion Dragon

Dragon / Xyz / Effect

Monster effect:

2 Level 2 monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned, declare 1 Attribute:  While face-up on the field, this card is also the declared Attribute. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard, then add 1 Normal Spell card from your Deck to your hand.

[/spoiler]

UB9Rf2k.jpg

2 Level 2 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card using 2 "Heraldic Beast" monsters you control. You can only Special Summon 1 "Number 68: Heraldry Gestalt" per turn. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; the names of all other monsters your opponent controls become that monster's name. If this card is attached to a Psychic-type Xyz Monster as an Xyz Material, that card cannot be targeted by the effects of monsters your opponent controls 2 or more of with the same name.

I wanted to combine psychology and heraldry themes here. It opens up for more generic approaches to Number 8, as well as being a target to Rank-Up into 18 and 69. It mainly works as setup for 18, but its typing also allows for rather flexible choices.

Since Heraldic decks don't have the greatest access to Level 2 monsters, we have an alternative Xyz Summon clause that puts its Summoning requirements at the same level as Genome. First effect can disrupt some plays, but mostly it is setup for Patriarch. The last protection effect when attached is not massive, but becomes pseudo-blanket with Augmentation.

And then there's the psychology. I wanted that theme to permeate throughout the card, however this is actually rather simple. For the special Summoning clause, my interpretation is quite literal. The Xyz Monster is clearly different to the Xyz Materials used here, as in the whole is other (different) than the units. Main effect is at least somewhat more aligned with the theory itself. This is different from Genome Heritage's stealing of genes to make itself a clone of the targeted monster. It has more to do with how the monsters are perceived, here through just being "the opponent" and being treated as the same card, in name at least.

It's a number because all of Tron's Xyz Monsters were numbers, and 68 because all other Heraldry Numbers ended in 8, and it's quite close to Crest's number.

Card for contest made and submitted.

Au2PGOI.jpg

Number 39: Utopia Root V

Lore: 2 or more (max 3) Level 2 monsters

You can also Xyz Summon by using a "Number 39: Utopia Roots" as the Xyz Material. (Any Xyz Materials attached to that monster become Xyz Materials on this card." When any player`s monster declares an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Negate the attack. Once per Duel, during the End Phase, if you used this effect of "Number 39: Utopia Root V" that negates an attack: You can add 1 "Rank-Up Magic" Normal Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, and if you do, skip your next Draw Phase.

Because IDK Wynaut, points sent.

[spoiler='And last place goes to...!']yyjxLLE.jpg
2 Level 2 monsters
You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls in face-up Attack Position; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material. This effect of "Protector of Sharkham" can only be activated once per turn. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: You can target 1 monster in your Graveyard that was attached to this card as a Xyz Material; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card]

S8djrWb.jpg

2 or more Level 1 monsters
This card gains 200 ATK/DEF for each Xyz Material attached to it. This Defense Position card cannot be destroyed (by battle or card effect). This card can attack your opponent directly, if it does so using this effect, change it to Defense Position at the end of the damage step. During either player's turn you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card in both player's Graveyards; banish those target(s). You can only use this effect of "The Evil Air, Sneadrago" once per turn.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Creative thoughts]
I had a somewhat hard time deciding what kind of Rank-up monster I wanted to make. Did I want a unique one that could only go into one maybe 2 things or did I want more versatility and options with my card.
I decided to go the loner route and have a card that can only Rank-up into one thing.
Next up obviously was finding a useful R3 or R4 Xyz, this was also a challenging part as there are so so many!
Instead of going through all the thought I had about that I'll get to the point -
I chose Leviair The Sea Dragon.

Now on to my card:
  • It takes 2 or more Level 1s, giving decks that can swarm Level 1's something special they can go into it.
  • Its first effect can abuse this somewhat by having 5 material it gets an extra 1000 ATK/DEF.
  • The 2nd and 3rd effects works somewhat together. Allowing a usually low attacker to get some extra damage in and switching to DEF to protect itself a little if you cannot Rank it up that turn.
  • The last effect is where the Rank-up really comes into play. With it you can banish about any Level 4 monster than Special Summon it with Leviair. Not only that it allows for disruption plays when your opponent tries to get something back from their Graveyard!
  • Although that may seem broken remember with RUM Astral Force's 2nd effect you can only Special Summon using RUM Astral Force. So you would need at least 1 turn if you were to try a play like this.
  • Lastly even the name of the card "The Evil Air, Sneadrago" is an anagram of "Leviair the Sea Dragon". :D

[/spoiler]

HNK0MSW.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 Level 2 Monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: Target 1 card in your opponent's Graveyard; shuffle that target into the Deck. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card is unaffected by other card effects until the end of the turn. This card cannot be destroyed by battle while it has Xyz Material.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Purpose & Flavor']Purpose:

Obviously to use Rank-Up-Magic Astral Force to become Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer.

However, it is also supposed to serve as a mild interruption to the opponent and become a wall for any deck that is able to use Rank 2 monsters efficiently, such as the Raccoons and Ghostricks.

Because decks that use Rank 2s have a more difficult time maintaining a defense and field presence, this card serves to do just that, letting the deck catch up to the opponent.

Flavor:

• The picture depicts a baby bird in what seems like a canyon: ergo the "Petite" and "Valley" in its name. And why it is a winged beast.
  • It bounces from the Graveyard, which is tangent to what the WIND attribute in the game usually does; shuffle or return cards elsewhere.
  • Castel's ATK+DEF=3500 This card's total is 2500, a thousand points less than Castel. This is a more abstract relation between the two.
  • In the picture, the chick is running as if attempting to learn to fly. One can interpret that Castel is flying above these canyons once this bird learns to fly. (Also a distant connection.)

[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the scores done. I will give 2~3 days for discussion on the scores and clarifications.

Current Standings:

1st: Chivaldry  - 50 points

2nd: Cr47t - 44 points

3rd: Divine Dragon Sage - 43 points

[spoiler=Scores]

Balance and Design [25] - The card has a good effect without being broken, suitable ATK/DEF for its Level/Rank and kinds of materials (generic or non-generic) required, etc.
Creativity and Flavor [20] - The effect is unique or underused, has an appropriate or clever name, etc.
Theme [5]

Dimensional Rebellion Dragon
Balance and Design: 13  - Sorry, but searching for any Normal Spell just looks too good to be fair, even with the discard cost attached, since you can pick from a AF to evolve this on the spot, or why not go for stronger Spells such as Raigeki, Dark Hole, Soul Charge, etc. At least it has a cost and its ATK/DEF are really low for a Rank2 so it is not too crazy. The Attribute change looks like a sneaky way for playing around the contest requirement and enable it to Rank-Up into other monsters, namely Laggia, in addition to inherent good targets such as the obvious Rebellion Dragon or Verz Ophion, which feels like a slippery slope, but doesn't really affect this scoring as much as the searching effect.
Creativity and Flavor: 10 - I really don't get any creativity or flavorful traits from this card. Its name implies that it is related to Rebellion Xyz Dragon, but its effects have nothing related to it, unless I am missing something. Heck, not even its stats make a reference to it; for instance, 1500/1000, which is Xyz Dragon stats -1000. The attribute-change feels a bit random as well.
Theme: 5
Total: 27

Heraldry Gestalt
Balance and Design: 18 - Card may not be too powerful nor broken, but on the other hand, it feels too weak. By itself, Decks that make Rank2s wouldn't be interested in this, since its first effect only shines in combination with Patriach or maybe silly cards such as "Three of a Kind", and the second relies on AF or Rank-Ups to become live. If its stats were at least decent, then it would have been an interesting counter against decks that rely on having monster with specific names, but with 1000/1000 chances are it won't last long on the field.
Creativity and Flavor: 20 - To be honest, I didn't fully get your explanation on this card being related to the concept of psychology and it took me a couple of reads to understand, but I see your approach with this card and its effects, and this surely deserves points in flavor.
Total: 43

Ancient Dracomage (user has been banned, but will post the grading anyway in case someone is interested)
Balance and Design: 5 - It's funny because this is exactly what I considered would be the worst you could do for this contest: a Rank2 with solid stats and convenient removal effect (e.g. faster than, let's say, Centaurea), that then can be go AF into a Rank4 with yet another removal effect (e.g. S.H.Ark, Castel, Laggia) and sure enough, this does exactly that; even if you technically break even in card balance, it is still too dangerous in my opinion. When I added on the OP to be careful with the Type/combination you pick and the overall power of your entry, this is what I meant. And on top of that, this even comes with better stats than Centaurea and it's cute how it detaches as part of the effect, probably to save materials in case of Breakthrough/Veiler, and for compatibility with monsters with effects that trigger when sent to the grave by an effect.
Creativity and Flavor: 5 - I can't see anything. Really, a bland, generic name and effect just with cute exploitable perks.
Total: 15

Utopia Root V
Balance and Design: 22 - So, another Xyz-evolve for Utopia, this part is screaming for Change Tactics abuse. Putting that aside, the effect looks fine: a 2000-DEF wall that further blocks attack may be a handy addition to the Rank2 pool. The searching effect feels like pushing it a bit, but since it triggers on End Phase and takes your next Draw Phase it should be fine.
Creativity and Flavor: 17 - Although it is yet another Utopia counterpart, it keeps Utopia's attack blocking effects and Xyz-evolving gimmick.
Total: 44

Protector of Sharkham
Balance and Design: 10 - It's basically S.H.ark-lite. It does lack the protection against destruction S.H.Ark carries and has low stats, but that can be easily patched up by simply going into Downerd. The reattaching effect is too risky and thus not as important, but simply stealing an opponent's monster and going Downerd should be dangerous enough. Then, there is the previously mentioned issue of having a removal effect, and then going AF into another Xyz with a removal effect.
Creativity and Flavor: 17 - Sharkham -> Arkham? That's clever and a bit funny. It has S.H.ARK's reversed ATK, adding more flavorful points. Having virtually the same detach effect as S.H.Ark takes some points away, though.
Total: 32

Dragun Princess Djinn
Balance and Design: 16 - I have mixed feelings towards this card. Walking ROTAs such as this, Gigant X, Feral Imp are often nice, but when you have to run Level2s to access this then things get a bit more complicated. That aside, the card looks underwhelming: low stats and the first effect is cool but you need at least 1 other Dragon to make use of it, which makes it slightly situational; and monsters immune to battle destruction rarely last long anyway. AF evolving into Rebellion and Ophion is cool, too.
Creativity and Flavor: 18 - Its artwork doesn't exactly resemble her, but it is clear from the name, effects and Attribute/Type combination that it is related to Queen Dragun Djinn.
Total: 39

The Evil Air, Sneadrago
Balance and Design: 15 - I am a bit concerned of this card because outside of AF combos, it is an annoying, indestructible direct poker that safely shifts to DEF after attacking, while doubling a a Quick Effect Rhapsody that can really mess with the opponent (e.g. banishing targets of cards such as Altair, Soul Charge, etc. before they resolve). Its interaction with Leviair seems to be fine.
Creativity and Flavor: 20 - With the explanation you attached to the entry I can see you put a chunk of effort when making your entry. The name being an anagram of Leviair is cool, and the way the different effects work with each other and even with its intended AF target is interesting.
Total: 40

Petite Guardian of the Valley
(Just a random idea: It should have been a "Mist Valley" monster in my opinion for potential compatibility wuth Mist Valley support)
Balance and Design: 25 - At first I thought it spun from the field, but then I noticed it does from the grave, and thus found it so much better. Card is really good in my opinion. It's a solid wall and should be a great addition to the Rank2 pool, the grave disruption is cute, and ranking up into Castel is cool but not abusable considering the costs involved (2 materials for this + AF itself).
Creativity and Flavor: 20 - The explanation helped to understand the flavorful elements behind this card (although the last points looks too stretched); also, returning cards from the grave would be more like a recycling mechanic rather than shuffing/boucing, but still I get the idea.
Total: 50

[/spoiler]

Archived