Writing Contest Discussion Thread

Aix

So I'm thinking about having a Writing Contest to liven things up here. I need to first figure out who would be interested in joining and who would be interested in voting or judging?

Things that need to be decided
We need to decide on a deadline for submissions.

Current Contest Details
Prompt/Theme: Loneliness, you are free to interpret this as you will.
Word Limit: 4000 words.
Deadline: June 1, 2015
Judges: Zai, Barty, and Night
Submission Method: PMed to me for anonymity. Please include a title for your entry.
Judging Method: Up to each judge's discretion, but you'd want to take a holistic approach. Each of the judges will comment on each submission and then give a score out of 10.
Prize:
1st Place: 2000 points multiplied by the # of entrants, 3 Reps
2nd Place: 1000 points multiplied by the # of entrants, 2 Reps
3rd Place: 600 points multiplied by the # of entrants, 1 Rep

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be interested in judging if you really need the help; but I understand that I haven't been here long enough for people to get a real good read (lol) on how I approach writing and my criteria/taste/skill/etc. That said, I'm also very interested in joining so it puts me in a bit of a sticky position.

Rinne & I tried putting together two contests maybe 2 years ago and they didn't go anywhere.

Maybe with newer members we'd get more than the 0-2 submissions we had back then.

So I'll compete, if only to make sure we get at least one. I have the time

Hopefully the prompt won't ruin it for me lol

Normally, I think we'll discuss more of the details, but let's try to get one done first. I think we'll start this one off with a thematic prompt. Choose any that you wouldn't mind writing about.

Zai, Barty and I will be the judges.

Format will be completely free, although I did expect short stories. No fanfiction.

Word limit is 4000 words.

I would have judged, that sounds cool, too bad I'm late to the party.

Though, I'll join for support. Contingent upon you submitting for the sotw when I get it going again soon, that seems like a fair proposition. 

I would have judged, that sounds cool, too bad I'm late to the party.

Though, I'll join for support. Contingent upon you submitting for the sotw when I get it going again soon, that seems like a fair proposition.

I can give up my position as judge if you want to judge. I didn't mind judging or joining.

And sure, I'll join the next SOTW.

I can give up my position as judge if you want to judge. I didn't mind judging or joining.

And sure, I'll join the next SOTW.

Depends on the prompt and whether or not this will be a recurring thing, also the judging format. Will it anonymous, or will it be public who's submission it is? And will judges be required to explain why shit was picked or will they just cast a vote?

I think most people have gotten the opportunity to vote, so the theme for this first Writing Contest will be Loneliness with 42% of voters interested in it. The OP has been updated.

Depends on the prompt and whether or not this will be a recurring thing, also the judging format. Will it anonymous, or will it be public who's submission it is? And will judges be required to explain why shit was picked or will they just cast a vote?

Yes, there will probably be more contests, but no you wouldn't have to judge for each of them. Submissions will be anonymous, PMed to me, and judges will have to explain why they picked what they did, in addition to at least some feedback on each of the submissions.

When would be a reasonable deadline for everyone to get a submission in?

I think most people have gotten the opportunity to vote, so the theme for this first Writing Contest will be Loneliness with 42% of voters interested in it. The OP has been updated.

Yes, there will probably be more contests, but no you wouldn't have to judge for each of them. Submissions will be anonymous, PMed to me, and judges will have to explain why they picked what they did, in addition to at least some feedback on each of the submissions.

When would be a reasonable deadline for everyone to get a submission in?

May 31st or June 1st???

Archived