Tournament Format Suggestions

seattleite

So I guess a metagame has been forming, and by another member's suggestion I should make changes to Duel Portal to accommodate it.

The problem is we can't do it the same way as a CCG (or how EVO will be) because we need TCG cards. So I thought now would be a good time to talk about changes to separate the 'casual' from the 'competitive' parts of the Public card pool.

Here is my idea:

*  Public cards can be 'submitted' for approval to whoever wants to manage it. If approved for balance, the card will be 'locked' and can no longer be edited, except by the people who manage it. Also, only decks that use approved cards can be used in a tournament - anything else will need to play under 'traditional'

Some caveats:

- Users will have some kind of limit of how many cards they can submit per week

- This all hinges on the promise that there will actually be people to approve cards

So, can it work? Or do you have another idea entirely? Please discuss!

We already have some things sorted here on the thread that could be implemented possibly onto Duel Portal with tis all in mind:
- We have a thread specifically for submitting cards. Me and Nai were sorted out a system to get it down which I can go into more detail with
- The system developed and in effect rn already limits itself to 25 a month, 15 archetypal cards and 10 generic cards. I'm sure the 25/Month limit could be implemented, but if possible without too much of a hassle, a way to cap the 2 sides would be appreciated

I think this would be a good start, and I will leave it for the others to discuss and I will address this in the Skype Chat. I appreciate you posting this and taking this into consideration! I'm thrilled to see how this plays out, and I'm sure the majority of us are as well

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/332049-tournament-duel-portal-tournament-card-pooling-and-discussion-thread/

Basically, it's this thread; so any card limits are already dealt with.

In terms of approval, we're more/less looking them over as a community already.

Though we could have a few members look at the stuff going in [probably Nai, myself and Toyo; along with a few other DP-goers, since the former three already manage deck lists for the tournaments].

---

(I'd go in the DP chat, but again the thing clogs my Skype and Nai/I haven't exactly spoken about anything related to this section [or CC in general]; then again, I dropped out because of the former.)

Okay, so since you sort it out on YCM, I think approving cards in DP on top of that would be tedious.

The question is, is the "anyone can edit" policy working? I could let some people 'lock' public cards after they've been approved here.

It's been mostly fine, but in some cases, it has caused some issues from what I heard, and not everybody wants to make their cards public because of it. I think the system of locking said cards would make people feel a lot more comfortable, etc. Myself I have been fine, but I do know other of this case

• 3 weeks later...

I could sticky this if you want, but 6 stickied threads is a bit of a clutter.

I think the card locking idea is nice if people don't want their stuff edited (mostly for testing reasons or if they don't want people to tamper with things).

Agree, in this tourney, someone changed the effect of 1 of my cards w/o telling me or Darkness, and the card isnt even mine

Which card was edited?

I was checking DP the other night, and some of my stuff was edited (although I think it's the stuff that was slated to be used in the Deckswap tournament, and the cards that I gave permission to be altered in accordance with whatever I had on main post).

--------

But yeah, if someone's editing the card during the tournament; then we have a problem.

--------

That being said, I have stickied the thread for convenience. 

Okay so after the discussion in the skype chat I can say that we're going to implement some judging team to have "pooling power" of things we upload to DP and use for tournaments. 

I personally say a combination of Darkness, Giga, and Nai are the best way to go. If anyone else has any different opinions then they should probably speak up.

Archived