[Finished]CC Monthly Series [June 2015] - JUDGING PERIOD

Refer to this thread for any specific information regarding the policies of the CC Monthly. 

Theme

Design a card based on some form of fruit or vegetable.
Provided it has something to do with fruits/veggies, you have free reign over whatever design you choose for this contest.

(You can make Archetype support, Extra Deck Pendulums, whatever you wish)

It doesn't have to a card based solely on that fruit (as in a card literally called "Apple" or something, and have a picture of one); I strongly advise against doing that.

If you want to (for examples), you can design a card based on these. They have something to do with fruits, so they'd qualify as acceptable entries in this.

Of course, you are more than welcome to do other things besides them.

(This month is a bit more seasonal; considering the fact that we are approaching summer later this month)

Helpful Threads

http://forum.yugiohc...before-posting/
http://forum.yugiohc...d-design-guide/
http://forum.yugiohc...ds-and-casuals/

Deadline

June 30th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm Hawaiʻi Standard Time (GMT -10:00)

If you need help determining what time it'll be in your area when deadline hits, use this converter.
(Select USA - Hawaii - Honolulu in the "convert to" area)

For your safety, I highly recommend that you turn in your entries when it reaches 11:59 pm in your respective timezones, to avoid confusion; unless you live in the Polynesian islands or another location between the dateline and Hawaiʻi (but I do not foresee this to occur).

Entry Fee

None, you just need to state your interest + provide an entry card with an appropriate explanation by deadline.

Rules

1. Standard YCM and Custom Cards rules apply in this section. Please remember to abide by / follow them in this contest. 

2. Written Cards will be accepted, however if you opt to do this; do not use the cardmaker to generate a picture-less image.

Just type it out in text format. 

3. When posting a card, make sure that you have its lore posted beneath, so it is easier for the judges to read your effect.

Also make sure that you post it properly using the cardmaker. 

4. You are allowed to make edits to your card until the deadline, HOWEVER you should have already designed the card as a final product. 

5. The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 23 legal Types + 6 Attributes).

Also remember to abide by the max. 5000 ATK/DEF rules for original stats.

6. When submitting your entry, give a short description of what your intent was during the design process. 
It'll help the judges to better understand your card + grade accordingly.

7. You do not need to have a card ready when you enter, but it needs to be in before the deadline.

If you require an extension due to circumstances beyond your control, PM me.

Prizing

1st - 4000 points + 3 reps + access to a custom member group (privileges pending) for a month.
2nd - 3000 points + 2 reps
3rd - 2000 points + 1 rep
4th - 1000 points

Additional prizes may be given as deemed necessary (likely will be GFX awards as given in SCS tournaments).

Participants

• Gadjiltron
  • Instinct
  • Dragon Sage

Judges

• Sakura
  • Giga
  • Toyo

If you're interested in judging, provide your grading scale.
This goes without saying, but make sure you know what you're doing.

(I'll accept 1-2 members who are interested in helping. All judges get a rep for their assistance)

Scoring

SAKURA

Balance/Usability - 50

Creativity/Flavor - 30

OCG/Grammar - 20

My criteria is also listed in the information thread in detail if you need to reference things.

GIGA / TOYO

Grade will be determined from a review of the card; out of a scale of 100.

------

If you have any questions about things related to the contest, either post in this thread or send me a PM. 

Best of luck to all participants.

Strange how this time there's a lot less activity.

Anyway, the card:

rX43X3j.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]When a Plant-Type monster you control attacks: You can excavate the top card of your Deck, and if it is a Plant-Type monster, send it to the Graveyard, and if you do, the attacking monster gains 500 ATK until the end of the Damage Step. Otherwise, place the excavated card on the top or bottom of the Deck. If a Plant-Type monster you control attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

[spoiler Design Notes]I seriously have no idea why I keep going back to excavations whenever I design Plant monsters. Maybe I just love the concept of excavation, which is the closest thing to scry in Yugioh.

Here, Muscle Melon has a very simple effect, lending a fixable chance for an ATK boost whenever a Plant attacks so they can overcome slightly bigger obstacles, and granting piercing to smash through walls. Standard fare for a beatdown-oriented card. If he hits any Sylvans, sweet. More advantage. If he doesn't hit any Plants, you still do get the option of putting the card back on top if you really want it. That's what makes him stand out a little compared to other Sylvan excavators.

Earlier drafts had him trigger if he excavated any monster, but I realized it would make him ridiculously splashable due to everything triggering if they were sent to the Graveyard. It's very difficult to make a real cost nowadays.

Perhaps the task this month has proven to be a bit more difficult for some members than I had originally thought.

That, or other circumstances. [Not sure if other countries still have exams of some sort; I know a lot of us are finished with those by this point.]

(Indeed though, this one is rather inactive compared to the others.)

Technically speaking, this month's theme is rather similar to one made by ReneTCG back in October of last year; found here.

Only difference is that you just need to have your card to incorporate fruit in some way; you are not restricted to Plant-Type monsters.

I provided a link to the Fruit Dragon stuff from Puzzles & Dragons in the OP; you're more than welcome to do something like that for a card.

They incorporate fruits in their design, so you could base a card on them and it'd be perfectly acceptable for the contest.

(Card does not have to be a literal fruit; if it incorporates fruits into your design, then you can enter it.)

----

I'll note that you submitted an entry though.

That'll probably help, since it'll give participants a bit more leeway in what they can do.

As noted, tomatoes and avocados are classed as fruit as far as research is concerned (genetically).

Although with the vegetable addition, you won't have to worry about if a food is classed as either A or B.

----------------

Because of the change, I should extend this to the end of the month or next Monday.

Still about a week to submit stuff and whatever.

Bump again.

Instinct and Dragon Sage, do remember to submit entries before the deadline.

I have extended the deadline to the end of the month (while yes, it means the judging will drag on into July; we usually don't start the tournaments until the 1st/2nd full week anyway.

Also, the theme for this contest has been extended to include vegetables as well.

Hopefully it will give you some more options to work with for potential entries.

Here's my entry:

06.jpg

Effect: During your opponent's Main Phase: You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; Both players' Life Points become 4000, also skip your next Draw Phase. You can only use this effect of "Kokoro, the Starfruit Bearer" once per Duel.

Intent: I chose to make a hand-trap since fruits can often be characterized as something held to assist in given situations (hunger, etc). My card primarily focuses on star fruits which have many health benefits such as antioxidants and vitamin C, but may also provide risks if consumed by people with kidney failure or kidney stones. I tried to incorporate that into an effect designed to help the player, but also to make him/her weigh the costs (or risks) of the card and to assess the situation systematically.

Aroma Miracle

Plant/Effect

WIND

0/500

You can only Special Summon 1 ”Aroma Miracle” per turn. If you would take damage: You can Special Summon this card instead (from your hand), and if you do, gain Life Points equal to the damage you would have taken. While this card remains face-up on the field, if you would take damage, gain that amount as Life Points, instead.

Based off Synsepalum Dulcificum, also known as the miracle fruit. It's a berry, but berries are basically fruit in all but name. Miracle fruit have the odd characteristic of turning a sour taste into a sweet one when you ingest it with the fruit. I went a rather obvious route and made it turn damage into LP gain. So LP gain + Plants obviously had me make it an Aroma card. Its Attribute is WIND to match Pot, since the attributes of the other Aroma monsters have been spread out across the Levels. I couldn't really think of a type other than Plant that would really fit here, though. 

Has one restriction that helps it from mass spam with Gigaplant or something. First and foremost something for Aromas, stacking up LP gain can be rather easy but it is very fragile.

If we don't get any more contestants, this will be a contest between Leaderboard's elite, huh.

Looks like that will be the case, although at least more than one person showed up and submitted a card. Would've been a rather dull contest if only Gadjiltron submitted

(If two of you showed up, then it's essentially a 1v1, but still a contest.)

Normally, CC monthlies are a bit larger in terms of activity, but I suppose it also means that judging will be done quicker since fewer things to look over.

Again, I do not know if the theme was too much of a challenge this month, or other factors contributed to the lower activity this month.

(That, or this was done during the presence of others)

Just as a reminder that at the time of this post, if you decide on entering at this point, you have about 22 more hours to enter/submit a card before the deadline comes.

Provided you can get an entry in before the deadline, you're more than welcome to enter.

It is approximately 1:05 am HST at this time. (Gadjiltron, Instinct and Dragon Sage have all submitted an entry, so they're good to go).

Once the deadline is reached, judging will take a couple days and scores should be announced within a week.

Right now, it doesn't appear that grading will take much longer than 1-2 days.

I'm grading yours and Instinct's right now (well, obviously not at this exact moment; given that I am at a computer store at the mall). Gadjiltron's more/less finished. 

Should have the scores up by tonight. 

(Ideally, I would've liked to do them earlier this week, but I had stuff to deal with offline. This was a lighter contest than usual, so the grading shouldn't have taken this long.)

-----

As for how Giga and Toyo are, I cannot say for them. 

I'd like to get things wrapped up by Tuesday at the latest, so the July one can get underway. 

Archived