YCM Cube Section

For those who don't know, Cube is a type of Magic: The Gathering Format in which a person or team designs a singleton (one of each card) set that is big enough for 8-16 people to draft from on a regular basis. The fun comes from being able to choose what cards go in and how you want the draft to function.

This is becoming more popular as time goes on, and due to how Yu-Gi-Oh! is structured, designed, and published by Konami, it's extremely difficult to design a cube for the game. However, we here at YCM are not bound by Konami. There are many brilliant card makers here on this site, and I think a Community Designed YCM Cube would be a fun project for everyone involved.

The point of all of this: I think that we should set up an Advanced CC Subforum for creating a YCM Cube.

The forum would have the Planning Thread, the Cube Thread, and the Rules Thread pinned to the top of the forum, then people can post cards into in their own threads, and every so often the community chooses the best fitted cards for the Cube to be included.

It would be a long and drawn out project, yes. A Yu-Gi-Oh! Draft has players open six nine card packs, and the smallest draft can be done with 4 people, though some groups draft with as many as 8-16. To fit a 16 person draft, we as a community would need to design 864 individual cards, or 540 for a ten man draft.

This would be a great way to bring the community together, and a kind of jumping point for Casual CC posters that want to try their hand at Advanced without having to know as much about the current meta as they would if they went straight into Advanced.

This subforum could work in Casual, too, and would function the same way.

I'll talk it over with Koko and Zextra in the coming days, however it also depends on what other CC goers want.

If not enough of you want the idea, then it won't be considered.

Technically speaking, you really don't need to know a ton about the metagame to post in Advanced in the first place.

All you need is know what constitutes a good card, and the ideas that have already been used (plus whatever certain Decks need/don't need).

You should have some knowledge of what goes on, but in any case, full knowledge isn't required.

Indeed though, it would be interesting to have our own format and we design what we want.

Come to think of it, I believe there were a couple attempts sometime in the past; most/all of which are likely dead now.

(And we have DP for that to a certain extent)

Technically speaking, you really don't need to know a ton about the metagame to post in Advanced in the first place.

Isn't metagame context definitionally the difference between casual cards and advanced? 

Anyway, though I doubt it requires a section to itself, I fully support the creation of a CC cube and I would love to participate and/or help with facilitating it however possible.

Why yes, yes it is. Seems Sakura forgot about that key difference. Anyway, this should be interesting. If you need contest support and the like, I can give a hand. You have my backing.

I didn't forgot about it Striker (and Giga).

Technically, Advanced is for cards that follow the metagame.

When the forum split was proposed, Advanced would be for cards that were based on the metagame (like it had been prior to that as RC) and Casual would be for everything else; especially Pop Culture cards and other things.

[We haven't exactly drawn up precise criteria to differentiate the two sections, other than one is metagame-based and the other is not.]

We use some degree of Advanced logic in Casual at times while grading, which is fine.

Casual is technically a starting point for you to get good in cardmaking and prepare you for Advanced later on.

Depending on how things go, this might warrant a section; or maybe a sticky thread in there.

Before anything gets implemented, things will need to be talked over to see how we're going to structure it.

We'd like to make sure things don't flop over in the long run, and this is indeed a sustainable thing.

Archived