Yu-Gi-Oh! CYCLE [Interest Check, OoC, and Sign-ups] NA temporarily

Have you ever been watching one of the main Yu-Gi-Oh series and felt like you could do better? Ever seen a character you felt deserved more of a look, or a card that went grossly underrepresented?

So have I.

Here, we are creating what essentially amounts to our own side to a Yu-Gi-Oh anime. Now, we're each going to (mostly) stick to an archetype- like every protagonist from Jaden onwards, you need an overarching theme to your Deck. Since this is our series, though, you can use your own archetypes, or I could loan you one of mine (I have a lot, if you're interested). Additionally, I do plan to throw you into seriously convoluted situations, so that you can use every member of your chosen archetype at least once, and so that we create cards I like to call "happy abominations"- cards that, in a normal Duel, have literally zero chance of hitting the field (Rainbow Neos comes to mind), but are just so cool and symbolic that their existence was necessitated. Be prepared to forsake the purity of your archetypes with weird combination cards.

Now, all the gushing and a good chunk of the oddness out of the way, we need to get down to brass tacks. We can't all be the protagonist- hell, I don't intend on there being a central protagonist in anything but name (hint: it'll be the guy with an ace monster with exactly 2500 ATK).

This will be more centered around plot development for all of our characters (I say "our", but if there is no room for myself I will sit aside and DM this). If you just got a significant power-up, I'll make the next few Duels relatively easy, to make the "new" card seem to have a lot more power. If you're going through a darkness arc, tell me, and I'll put you in no-win situations so you have an excuse for losing the Duel and getting hung up over it.

Now, I can't properly Duel in twenty places at once, so there will be a maximum of five characters here. If five people are interested, I will be purely the DM, as stated before.

As for the plot . . . I'll let you determine what you think of it as the RP progresses. Rather than waste time dallying, I plan to open up with the tournament plot, so we can get each character and their Deck established BEFORE we get to the crazy supernatural stuff that is half of why people watch a series about card games that may or may not be on motorcycles, on hippos, in Egyptian Hell, in alternate dimensions, or in space. In fact, because my plot doesn't precisely rely on ancient prophecies, your character can be a (relatively) normal guy or girl.

I'll put up more precise sign-up information later today, and I know I have the interest (but no confirmed appearances of) Techi and FinalDan. 2 of a maximum of five RPers.

Our setting is a sprawling urban environment known as Rettopolis, which is essentially Los Angeles, New York, Tokyo, and London all rolled into one. CROWDS EVERYWHERE.

There are also raised highways for Turbo Dueling purposes, and all Dueling arenas have been retrofitted for Action Duels (which have yet to catch on here, but they're getting there).

Our first arc, though, ignores all that for a classic Dueling tournament, where the winner gets insane amounts of prize money and the right to be known as the city's Champion.

Who's interested?

(Oh, if you'd like to borrow an archetype, message me with the kind of character you'd like to be and I'll send you in the appropriate direction).

[spoiler=Rules]

1. All IC posts should be at least 4 lines (roughly 100 words) of text, minimum.

2. Posting in script format is verboten.

3. This is its own distinct RP, do NOT bring in characters from other RPs without changing them majorly to fit this one's style.

4. If you Duel each other, you can either agree on an ending with one another and just RP the Duel for fun and/or plot, or confirm the contents of your hand/all Set cards with me between posts for verification purposes.

5. No godmodding, power playing, or metagaming. This is important.

6. There are to be no spoilers. Do not ask me about future plot details unless you're going to do something crazy and/or stupid. If I need you to do a specific thing, I'll tell you what that thing is in THIS thread, and you can find a reason why your character would do it in IC.

7. No one is Yusei- everyone will probably lose at least once. Accept the loss and move on (at least while OoC).

8. Try to avoid cards that had relevance in the existing anime. My villains will all use archetypes that never seriously appeared in the anime, be they ignored TCG/OCG cards, cards from my own portfolio or the AGM's lovelies. You can also greenlight some of your archetypes for use for villains.

9. For the love of all that is sacred, follow the app format listed below.

[spoiler= App Format]

Name:

Appearance: (an image in a spoiler or a BRIEF descriptive paragraph)

Personality: (please not 4'33", but not the Iliad, either)

Deck: (a link to the archetype or all of its members in a spoiler: anything under the AGM banner is acceptable, as is everything from my "Draconus Tournament" thread. Anything else requires a look-over)

Preferred Dueling Style: (Classic, Double, Tag, Turbo, or Action)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question, actually.

We've seen Tag Duels, where the team collaborating must also share a field, and thus has to plan around such tactics. This can lead to interesting combinations (Rainbow Neos and B. Skull Dragon come to mind).

However, Double Duels work kinda like what would happen if four players slammed down their mats simultaneously on opposite sides of a table. 20 monsters maximum on the field, 8 Pendulum cards simultaneously, Friggin' massive amounts of stuff to keep track of. To keep it balanced, though (and fast), these use anime-style 4000 Life Points.

Regarding the banlist, it has barest relevance. Yes, you should follow the current banlist (except where Graceful Charity is concerned, run one if you want), but remember that these are anime-style Duels. Your Deck doesn't exactly need to be completely consistent once the tournament is over.

Besides, you'll be sticking to a custom (or ignored) archetype, primarily. The banlist shouldn't be a factor.

[spoiler=WIP App]

Name: William Gordon

[spoiler=Appearance:]_7963256.jpg

[spoiler=Personality:]

Ever heard of 8th Grade Syndrome, or Chuunibyo? Where the effected becomes caught up in their own fake world of magic and wonder? William here is a classic example of that. He believes he is a vessel of the Japanese God Shiranui, and when he's in a dire situation, can unleash its godly powers. When he isn't dueling he has the usual happy, "main character" personality, but when he's dueling, he becomes a serious "messenger of the gods"/ poet, and when he's about to lose, he prays to Shiranui for assistance.

Deck: Flame Brothers, and I'm going to add more Main Deck monsters, as well as have a Shiranui-themed boss instead of the dragon.

Preferred Dueling Style: Double

Sign me up.

[spoiler=Sora]

Name: Sora Suzuki

Appearance:

[spoiler=Sora]

yumi_fuuko_dress_up_by_jadenkaiba-d34q5z

Personality: Sora loves dueling, motorcycles, and speed. One could say that she's quite the adrenaline junkie. Unfortunately, she doesn't know much else beyond that, making her come off as a bit of a ditz and likely to not be very good at anything, let alone something as complex as dueling. However, she is not only a closet otaku about Duel Monsters and Duel Runners, but is quite skilled at what she loves, and knows the game inside and out. She is very personable and friendly, always wanting to make new acquaintances and find out new things, as well as share her interests with others. However, she is also very loyal to the friends that she makes, and will always defend them if she can.

Deck: Synchrons and Warriors. Some of her customs: http://ycm.wikia.com/wiki/Neo_Yusei_(Structure_Deck)

Preferred Dueling Style: Any

[spoiler=Margaret : The Lady in Blue]

Full Name: Margaret Olympia Diamandis (Usually called Margaret)

[spoiler=Appearance] [spoiler=Normal] 157px-Margaret_Render.png 

[spoiler=Dueling]272px-P4U2_Margaret.png

[spoiler=Personality]

Margaret is professional and mature while dueling and loves studying her opponent. While not dueling, she's a very good friend. With her friends she's very funny and has a great sense of humor. She's very nice and tries to keep peace in the group, but sometimes when someone is scared likes scaring them more by telling them ghost stories or stuff like that. She loves reading, listening to music, dueling and practicing her fortune-telling skills. She loves the occult and the magical, and uses her deck to also perform some tarot readings at times. She's also very smart and learns a lot from the books she reads. Margaret is very open to people and likes making them smile.

Deck: Prophecy / Spellbook  : A deck based around the tarot cards from the major arcana, it also can quickly gather resources through the use of the spellbooks.

Preferred dueling style: Classic

[spoiler=Other]

[spoiler=Music Theme]

• She used to do ice-skating and can still perform quite well
  • Her favourite color is blue
  • Her favourite food is Frozen Yoghurt
  • The book that she always carries around doubles as a duel disk, when dueling the book creates the illusion thingy that duel disks are known for, although it's all hidden inside the book and it seems like pure magic.
  • She in her free-time also enjoys playing videogames, her favourite genres are fighting and rhythm games.
  • She loves reading horror books

I expressed interest for this in your status.

(I will put together an App here for fun, please feel free to notfy me if I am cleared to be the fifth player.)

[spoiler=Wip]

Name: Micheal James Sawyer

[spoiler=Appearance]

ddd2a458ef8da395ff4539d483e0f159.jpg

Personality: Though careful to not step on anyone's toes, publically kind and generous even with strangers, Micheal has a darker side to him. When he is alone and things get serious, stress can get the better of him and have him slip. Make him do or say things he wouldn't if he was his normal happy and polite self. He notices that this stress acts up when other people's lifes are on the line. The guilt of being no good for anyone, incapable of saving his own brother, keeps him reserved in the happy little book store that he works for.

[spoiler=Deck]I am thinking of putting together a quick written custom archtype for flexibility.

Preferred Dueling Style: Classic, Tag

I'll put up more precise sign-up information later today, and I know I have the interest (but no confirmed appearances of) Techi and FinalDan. 2 of a maximum of five RPers.

How I missed that part, I dunno. My confidence has raised since rereading to see it.

Edit: My app is just missing the deck section, I am putting together a quick written custom archtype deck for this rp exclusively on my laptop and can post it here as a first draft in the application in an hour or two. Or, I can pm it to you. "Ketsuen Knight" is its name and I am going to be dabbling a little into a six sams meets Pendulum summoning set up. They will likely be underpowered because buffs are easier and there is plenty of time for that.

i think my app is done

I love your application. It is significantly better than my own! Your character feels so much more real and the personality section was written so much better than my own. If you don't mind, I think I am going to use an other section like your own in my application(obviously to detail Micheal). I think the fact your character loves to read so much might lead our characters to interact somewhat in the rp. Micheal works at a book hop. If he gets into the Rp, I think we are looking to have lots of fun!

JamesClean, I recognize your Flame Brothers archetype, and remember how it works. You're cleared with me.

FinalDan, that's a Structure Deck, not an archetype. Plus, most of those cards were used by Yusei in the anime. Please select something different.

Cosmo, Margaret looks good to me. Accepted.

Techi, if you want, I could loan you one of my archetypes. I have a few in reserve, and there are a few that are practically designed for semi-competitive use.

Saiku, if you can get your app up soon, I'll consider it.

I love your application. It is significantly better than my own! Your character feels so much more real and the personality section was written so much better than my own. If you don't mind, I think I am going to use an other section like your own in my application(obviously to detail Micheal). I think the fact your character loves to read so much might lead our characters to interact somewhat in the rp. Micheal works at a book hop. If he gets into the Rp, I think we are looking to have lots of fun!

Thank you so much, and yes our characters interacting would be awesome! Also you can use the others section no probs, i like using it to add little fun quirks to my character

Cosmo, Miranda looks good to me. Accepted.

It actually is Margaret, but okay.

FinalDan, that's a Structure Deck, not an archetype. Plus, most of those cards were used by Yusei in the anime. Please select something different.

It's a fake Structure Deck from the Custom Wika. Yes, I will also be using stuff from the new Synchron Extreme Structure Deck, but Synchrons and Warriors have no relevance to the current anime, which is what the rules state.

Alternatively, I could do a Numbers-themed Deck using Gagagas, Dododos, and Gogogos.

Where in my post did I say the word "current"?

I said "existing", ie, DM, GX, 5D's, ZeXal, and Arc-V.

You know what? Fine. Use your Synchrons. Just cut out Stardust and the evolution for it I thought I saw in the card list. Those are most definitely Yusei exclusive.

I was just going to use the Warriors. No Signer Dragons.

Though is Stardust Warrior acceptable?

[spoiler=App]

Name: Blake Murdock
[spoiler=Appearance] CCpkJyj.jpg

Personality: A disturbed guy with socializing issues, Although he has some friends, he recognizes the boundaries in his communication capabilities, thats why he's always trying to act calm and friendly. He is also a very emotional person, a single "Hi" can be enough to discompose some nerves. When it comes to dueling, sometimes he takes it too serious, almost as if his life depends on it. Has no likes nor dislikes, but he dreams of someday to find the true peace in this world.
Deck: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/326470-atlantis-archetype-77/
Preferred Dueling Style: Classic

Changed Deck.

Archived