[Finished][FINISHED] [CARD COMPETITION] Lore of the Normal

Eddie McBean

Hey, my name is nunukyuu, a member who just became active about a month ago :P but well, I decided to do a little contest of my own that uses only normal monsters, if you ask me "why exactly a contest of normal monsters?" I'll have to say, because I'm unable to really compare effect monsters or even judge them at all... Oh, that's enough presentation, to the rest!

1. Each participant will create 3 normal monsters, all 3 of them must have a linked lore, either being the same person or being a comrade of battle, father, brother, sister, etc.

2. Each card will be judged in 3 aspects as well as balance and useability, which is the classic: Lore Creativity; Name creativity; How the cards reveal a certain evolution or decay, depending on what the lore induces (weakened by certain events or became stronger after fighting for years is an example).

3. Each participant will only be able to create 3 cards, so choose well what you want to create and submit, because you will not be able to change it.

Each one of the aspects have a weight:

1. Lore Creativity: 30

2. Name Creativity: 20

3. Link Between the Cards: 20

4. Useability and Balance: 30

Total: 100 (Oh, as I forgot to mention, grammar mistakes, if just a letter or swapped letters (once per card), they'll be fixed, if there's more, then that will affect your grade in a negative way, so review the text twice).

The prizes will go as follows:

1st place: 500 points + 5 rep

2nd place: 300 points + 3 rep

3rd place 150 points + 1 rep

Pendulum normals are allowed, but remember, 1 pendulum monster per participant, because I feel like having more than 1 might bias the competition in the terms of useability and balance.

Now, I've tried to decide a limit of participants, but I fear that I'm unable to do so, but no more than 16 would be a good balance of things.

Participants:

1. cardgameking (Submitted Entry)

2. Kinka-Byo (Submitted Entry)

3. shadowliepard

4. Kreeperkr4fter (Submitted Entry)

5. ???

Judges:

1. nunukyuu

2. Dova

3. ???

Now, if someone could help me on this judginng, I would appreciate it, because wanting or not, I'm not a very good judge, but even I can judge a normal monster contest.

Also, I think the created cards can be inbued in any archetype, AS LONG as their lore is linked in any way.

And yes, written is allowed.

Contest opening: January 18th, 2016

Deadline: January 30th, 2016

Dova, here's what you'll have to do, because I liked all the comments already XD:

Kinka-Byo : 3 reps left to give to him

cardgameking: 1 rep left to give to him

Kreeperkr4fter: 0 rep left to be given to him

Please keep in mind that a significant portion of participants' grades must be in relation to how they are designed play-wise (your scale does not show this).

It's fine to grade on links, but overall balance and design (with respect to other cards) are priority.

Fix this within 24 hours.

Sakura, I hate to be a downer, but given the fact that this contest is centered around normal monsters, isn't balance and design kind of a moot point?

Also nunu I would also be in if written are allowed.

Even if they are Normal Monsters, you still have to make sure they are properly designed (given the support cards that exist for them at present) and grade accordingly with respect to that.  I don't expect him to know everything, but at the minimum, needs to be able to judge how well your entries interact with other cards.

I don't know if nunukyuu will permit the use of Normal Pendulums or just restrict things to regular Vanillas, but if it's the former, remember that Pendulums have a good amount of support cards to look at.

(It's mentioned in rule 3 under Hosting/Judging though.)

And of course, what sort of prizes are you giving the winners?

I'll join. This sounds interesting.

Also nunu I would also be in if written are allowed.

I'll enter if written cards are allowed. Otherwise, pass, as I can rarely find art I actually think suitable.

Will add you all to the participants list, thanks for entering, also, you can post the cards anytime before the deadline

Also, this is not mandatory, but you can also create a little lore outside the cards after you submit them all explaining in-depht how they changed, not necessary and your card's grade will not be affected by it neither to a bad or a good way, just if you feel like doing it.

Here's my entry!

[spoiler=Cards]

Father of Ragnarok - Loki
Level 7, Fiend, Dark
2800 ATK/2300 DEF
Loki, the father of those destined to bring about Ragnarok. For
his traitorous ways and his fate, he was imprisoned, shaking even
Midgard in his furious struggles, but now him and is children are free...
and not even Odin can save us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daughter of Ragnarok - Hel
Level 4, Spellcaster, Dark
1700 ATK/2000 DEF
Having been born half in the light and half in the shadows, Hel
is both dead and alive, darkness and light. She was given rule
over Hel by Odin, who thought this would keep her occupied,
where she would look over the dead. To those who died of old
age and sickness she was kind and caring, but to those she deemed
evil...they, were thrown into the cold depths of Niflheim. Unfortunately
destiny has caught up with Odin, her and her family have
awakened and will bring Ragnarok.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Ragnarok - Fenrir
Level 5, Beast, Dark
2300 ATK/ 2100
Being the son of Loki, Fenrir was born with a cursed destiny.
It was said that Fenrir would one day break free of his
Dwarven binding, and upon doing so he would go
forth to devour everything, even Odin himself. Being bound
three times he has already broken free twice, and
as we all know those who fail to learn from history....
are bound to repeat it.

Here's my entry!

[spoiler=Cards]

Father of Ragnarok - Loki
Level 7, Fiend, Dark
2800 ATK/2300 DEF
Loki, the father of those destined to bring about Ragnarok. For
his traitorous ways and his fate, he was imprisoned, shaking even
Midgard in his furious struggles, but now him and his children are free...
and not even Odin can save us.
Daughter of Ragnarok - Hel
Level 4, Spellcaster, Dark
1700 ATK/2000 DEF
Having been born half in the light and half in the shadows, Hel
is both dead and alive, darkness and light. She was given rule
over Hel by Odin, who thought this would keep her occupied,
where she would look over the dead. To those who died of old
age and sickness she was kind and caring, but to those she deemed
evil...they, were thrown into the cold depths of Niflheim. Unfortunately
destiny has caught up with Odin, her and her family have
awakened and will bring Ragnarok.
Son of Ragnarok - Fenrir
Level 5, Beast, Dark
2300 ATK/ 2100
Being the son of Loki, Fenrir was born with a cursed destiny.
It was said that Fenrir would one day break free of his
Dwarven binding, and upon doing so he would go
forth to devour everything, even Odin himself. Being bound
three times he has already broken free twice, and
as we all know those who fail to learn from history....
are bound to repeat it.

Accepted!

Actually, I would like to withdraw from entering and instead help you judge!

Thanks XD, I appreciate the help, will add you to judges

[spoiler=Welcome to the Shadowscapes]

CUecxs4.jpg

The hallowed calling of the swan
Before the lighting of the dawn.
In the night, a song of harp
And with it, blade, so razor sharp.

qVHweQ8.jpg

With darkest deed by angel's hand,
Now forced is she to wander land.
With wings forsaken and body fell
What shall become, only time will tell.

cwzfTF0.jpg

With time spent on the walking earth,
She tells the sky of her rebirth.
The joyous sky fills up with light,
To gaze upon this wondrous sight.
To change oneself, one must take time.
And so here ends: Shadowscape's rhyme.

[spoiler=Bringer of the Dawn]

Here ya go~

[spoiler=Welcome to the Shadowscapes]

CUecxs4.jpg

qVHweQ8.jpg

cwzfTF0.jpg

[spoiler=Bringer of the Dawn]

Here ya go~

Accepted!

My entries! Below some of the entries is a small explanation of the card lore and reasoning behind it.

[spoiler=My entries]

Uthirs, Runaway of the Nekroz

WATER - lvl 3 - Warrior - 1800 atk 300 def

A young boy with magical heritage, he has ran away from home to seek his own destiny. He has vowed that one day he'll return. In order to protect his idenity from those who would harm him, he now goes by a different name.

[spoiler=Reasoning for this card]

We all know that Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz was banned, and here we see the ramifications of that in lore, with him running away to become seek his destiny, as can be common in children's fantasy books. Also he may have something against using the spirits of the noble fallen of Terminal world as clothes. His name is just Shurit rearranged, while his stats are just a swap of Shurit's attack and defense. 

Mysterious Treasure Hunter

WATER - lvl 6 - Warrior - 2400 atk 400 def

A mysterious treasure hunter, he specializes in hunting down remnants of the ancient machines. It is said that his greatest ambition is to find the mysterious Towers, which disappeared round the time he appeared.

[spoiler=Ideas behind this card]

So this Shurit a bit more grown up, a couple of years since we last saw him. As you can tell from the lore, he's doing quite well. However, the Towers refereed to in the text is none other then Apoqliphort Towers. The stats here are just the stats of Uthirs + 33%.

Apoqliphort Renegade

EARTH - lvl 9 - Warrior/Pendulum - 2700 atk 500 def

Pendulum Effect: You can only Pendulum Summon "Nekroz" and "Qli" monsters. This effect cannot be negated. All monsters your opponent controls lose 500 attack. When you Tribute Summon a "Qli" monster, you can destroy this card: Increase the level of the Tribute Summoned monster by number of tributed monsters -1. This effect can effect monsters who are unaffected by spell card effects. Once per turn, you can tribute 1 "Nekroz" Ritual monster you control: Special summon 1 "Nekroz" monster from your hand whose level is less then that of the tributed monster. You can only use each effect of "Apoqliphort Renegade" once per turn and only once that turn. You can only control 1 face up "Apoqliphort Renegade".

Monster Lore: Half man and half machine, this strange being used to be treasure hunter. However, after raiding a downed floating city, the core fused with him. It is unknown whether he or the core is in control. He is often seen observing large conflicts.

My entries! Below some of the entries is a small explanation of the card lore and reasoning behind it.

[spoiler=My entries]

Uthirs, Runaway of the Nekroz

WATER - lvl 3 - Warrior - 1800 atk 300 def

A young boy with magical heritage, he has ran away from home to seek his own destiny. He has vowed that one day he'll return. In order to protect his idenity from those who would harm him, he now goes by a different name.

[spoiler=Reasoning for this card]

We all know that Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz was banned, and here we see the ramifications of that in lore, with him running away to become seek his destiny, as can be common in children's fantasy books. Also he may have something against using the spirits of the noble fallen of Terminal world as clothes. His name is just Shurit rearranged, while his stats are just a swap of Shurit's attack and defense. 

Mysterious Treasure Hunter

WATER - lvl 6 - Warrior - 2400 atk 400 def

A mysterious treasure hunter, he specializes in hunting down remnants of the ancient machines. It is said that his greatest ambition is to find the mysterious Towers, which disappeared round the time he appeared.

[spoiler=Ideas behind this card]

So this Shurit a bit more grown up, a couple of years since we last saw him. As you can tell from the lore, he's doing quite well. However, the Towers refereed to in the text is none other then Apoqliphort Towers. The stats here are just the stats of Uthirs + 33%.

Apoqliphort Renegade

EARTH - lvl 9 - Warrior/Pendulum - 2700 atk 500 def

Pendulum Effect: You can only Pendulum Summon "Nekroz" and "Qli" monsters. This effect cannot be negated. All monsters your opponent controls lose 500 attack. When you Tribute Summon a "Qli" monster, you can destroy this card: Increase the level of the Tribute Summoned monster by number of tributed monsters -1. This effect can effect monsters who are unaffected by spell card effects. Once per turn, you can tribute 1 "Nekroz" Ritual monster you control: Special summon 1 "Nekroz" monster from your hand whose level is less then that of the tributed monster. You can only use each effect of "Apoqliphort Renegade" once per turn and only once that turn. You can only control 1 face up "Apoqliphort Renegade".

Monster Lore: Half man and half machine, this strange being used to be treasure hunter. However, after raiding a downed floating city, the core fused with him. It is unknown whether he or the core is in control. He is often seen observing large conflicts.

Accepted

Ladies and gentlemen, we, the judges have decided on a true winner, and the winners are, in the following order:

1st Kinka-Byo

2nd cardgameking

3rd Kreeperkr4fter

4th Shadowliepard (didn't submit)

We shall give the points, also, thanks for the participation. (We'll need a bit of help on the rep though, as we cannot like more than once  each reply XD)

Well, I'll post mine at least. I gave them to nunukyuu, but this might be faster.

[spoiler=cardgameking]

1. Lore Creativity: 24

Well, I never expected the two of these archetypes to be connected! I like how it goes with the fact that shurit was banned. It was interesting following the tale of this man. Shame it ended so suddenly, I was eager for more!

2. Name Creativity: 14

Certainly creative, but it would've been nicer if the cards' names were more connected to eachother. Right now, it just seems to be random links between cards. However, they are original and creative, which means a lot.

3. Link Between the Cards: 12

Seems a bit random tbh, considering you took the archetype challenge, but makes for some nice flavour. The card links themselves are nice, but weak.

4. Useability and Balance: 20

The first two are meh balance-wise, but the last one looks like something I might run in Qlis. Nice work!

Total: 70/100

[spoiler=Kreeperkr4fter]

1. Lore Creativity: 18

Nice, but not too creative IMO. It looks like you just rewrote the legend of these people and made them into cards.

2. Name Creativity: 12

Nice take on the legends, but sadly not unique name-wise either. The Ragnarok addition is a nice touch, though.

3. Link Between the Cards: 17

Nicely linked. Didn't leave too much to the imagination, and although it is rewritten, it is rewritten well.

4. Useability and Balance: 15

Sadly, no good deck I can think of can run all 3 of these. Good stats, but...not even Normal Deck.

Total: 62/100

[spoiler=Kinka-Byo]

1. Lore Creativity: 28

That poem is beautiful. Tells the story well and nicely made.

2. Name Creativity: 15

Interesting choice, but I feel Shadowscapes doesn't fit this theme.

3. Link Between the Cards: 16

Obvious theme going on here. I like the climax well, but again, wish it was fleshed out a little more.

4. Useability and Balance: 20

All Spellcasters, so that's something. I see a possible engine using Endymion to bring these people out, but nothing strong.

Total: 79

Archived