[MtG] [SOI] Daily Spoilers - Mar 15

*whistles* WELL, those two are a DOOZY.

A 2/1 Red creature for 1 is a damn good agro card in general, especially since Swiftspear will be gone soon. Giving Madness to all vams is spectacular too. R/B Madness Vamps looks like it might be a thing when this set comes out. Stuff like the new Kalitas and Drana with Lightning Axe should be vicious.

Sage of Ancient Lore is just bonkers in multiplayer. Killer artwork too. Dunno how likely Sage is to flip over if it's cost is 5 mana, though, usually by that point both players can cast a fair range of stuff.

index.png

Rattlechains {1}{U}

Creature - Spirit

Flash

Flying

When Rattlechains enters the battlefield, target Spirit creature gains hexproof until end of turn.

You can cast Spirit spells as though they had flash.

2/1

---

This, the madness lord and Relentless Dead makes me think that Wizards is really pushing tribal synergies to hopefully be Constructed level. I don't mind that. It's been a long while since we've had anything resembling that in Standard, and the one truly tribal block was a bit oppressive in terms of how one tribe dominated. *glares at faeries*

Madness Lord seems very good. Looks like the bulk of Madness will be in Red and Black.

Sage seems underwhelming.

Giving all your Spirits flash seems STUPID powerful.

New Ordric seems pretty cool. Looks like Skulk if an evergreen ability since it is listed with them all.

To the Slaughter seems good, but a little sad its rare. Though I guess being able to get a planeswalker it the reason.

Arlinn seems sweet.

Macabre Waltz is insane with the madness vampire deck, which feels like the aggro deck of the format, surpassing mono green. If Olivia is good enough, it could have a good showing at the PT.

Odric seems really nice, being a hill giant that can make your board insane, given the right circumstances. Hexproof and indestructible being on his list is really what makes the card.

I was expecting a new tribute to hunger, but this one doesn't gain life (likely because foul tongue invocation fills that slot) so it is significantly weaker. Even so, in deck like Grixis, where delirium is easily attained, this feels really powerful in what I expect to be a planeswalker-heavy metagame.

The spirit card is really nice, and is even better if we get a new version of traft. Currently, it has synergies with Anafenza, as its one toughness sets it up for bolster, making an aggressive flyer while protecting her.

Sage has mindblowingly cool art, and will probably show up at EDH tables galore.

Finally, Arlinn is Huntmaster, as expected. Rather than herself having a body like huntmaster, she makes up for it in the utility of alternate abilities, as well as the convenience of not having to jump through hoops to repeatedly flip. I can see myself alternating between her 0 and -1 until she is gone, tbh. The plus on werewolf side is actually insane.

Cool that we got our first red 1-cost 2/1 without downside (and coincidentally with fairly major upside).

Don't think Seer will see play. Front side is rarely, rarely better than Shaman of Spring, and more expensive. Backside doesn't compensate for that.

Arlinn Kord is cool. It feels a lot like Huntmaster. I think people who cube should get rid of Huntmaster in favour of Arlinn. The lines of play and the need for careful sequencing makes her a much more interesting and skill-intensive card to play with. Also, being one body rather than two like Huntmaster, and not +ing at all if you plan to Wolf/Bolt over and over again makes her less incessantly grindy as well. She'll see plenty of play in Standard too of course.

Rattlechains is also seems incredibly strong.

exile plus token is worth two more mana

I'm not saying it isn't, but you must keep 2 things in mind:

1.) Delirium is not guaranteed, and can be tricky to achieve in a control deck

2.) It doesn't matter if it is worth the extra mana if you have lost before you get the chance to cast it. Oftentimes, turn 6 is simply too late.

Archived