Christmas in July? Must be Secret Santa Anime Time

Welp it's july, and anime is abundant. Soooo, it's anime time!

Rules:

• Don't reveal yourself as a the gifter until after the dates. Don't do it, I s2g
  • Don't pick an anime you know the giftee won't like (though the giftee doesn't have to like it)
  • Epi limit is 26. If the show has multiple seasons/ arks/ w/e, make sure that 1 is a standalone
  • Sub or Dub is necessary, japanese is not an easy language to learn
  • Pls have it be available on a legal site
  • Follow the app or I s2g u will be getting all of naruto as your present
  • Send the gifts to me so that I may send them to your giftee anonymously
  • When filling out your app, try and be open. The goal here is to give a general idea of what you want, not a specific anime you want to watch. Don't be super-specific and you won't get nyan neko sugar girls as a stocking stuffer.

Deadlines:

• July 20th: Deadline for apps
  • July 27th: Deadline for sending the gifts
  • August 17th: Deadline for finishing your gifted anime
  • August 24th: (Optional) Write a review for your gifted anime. Did you enjoy it? Why/ Why not? Etc. It is at this time that I will reveal the gifters and what they gave their giftees.

App:
Name: Who are you?
Anime list: Spoiler or link is fine, just as long as it lists most/ all of the anime you've seen.
Anime I am not interested in: Put any general guides for anime that you want to avoid (i.e. Ecchi, Harem, Sports, Slice of Life, Zombies, etc.)
Misc: Specify on stuff that you think your gifter should know. But remember that last rule up there.

Entrants:

I'll put links to apps here, so that the gifters don't have to slog through pages upon pages to find their giftee

Yui
MessiAix
Rodrigo
Smear
Mitcher
Thar
Fusion
VCR_CAT (meow meow meow)

Moog

Other Stuff:

I'm the middle person here. If something goes wrong, hmu and I'll see what I can do to fix it.
If you think I should add/ adjust anything in the rules or app or anything, pm me and I'll see what I can do.

You don't have to, but if you want to suggest an anime for me, here's my list
[spoiler=Anime I've seen and stuff]
Soul Eater (NOT, too)
7 Deadly Sins
Heavan's Lost Property
Yugioh GX (re-watching because I need it)
Shuffle!
My Love Story!!
Angel Beats
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Not the movies, though)
Black Butler (seasons 1-2, haven't seen circus)
Deadman Wonderland
Yuki Yuna is a Hero
Red Garden
Hell Girl (most of the first season, am open to re-watching 1st season)
Mushishi (first season)
Chaotic (That counts, right?)
Angelic Layer
Rosario + Vampire
Gatchaman Crowds (and some of Insight, open to watching insight)
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Selector Infected Wixoss
Day Break Illusion
Bakugan (1st season only)
Shiki
Dangan Ronpa
Popotan
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Spice and Wolf
Negima
Shangrila (open to rewatching)
Sword Art Online
XXXholic
The Devil is a Part-Timer
Sekirei
Mega Man Star Force
Baka and Test (season 1)
Cat Planet Cuties
Girls Bravo
My Bride is a Mermaid
C Control
Sasami Magical Girls Club
Princess Jellyfish
Okami-sana and her 7 friends
Fairy Tail
Tamako Market
Daigashi Kashi
Barakamon
Outbreak Compony
Shimoneta
Uta~Kata
Death Parade
BTOOOM!
My Hero Academia

Probably others but I don't care/ remember

Sure. I got a pretty good anime out of it last time, so it'll be nice to see what I get this time.

Name: Yui

Anime list: I signed up for MAL with a stupid password just so I could link this page

Anime I am not interested in: Don't give me sports anime, there's no way I'll stick with it. Yaoi and BL are also a very firm no, and I'd prefer you keep me off the hype train/s of the season. And no Jojo.

Misc: Yuri and waifus are a huge winning point, but I'm pretty open on what I'm sent outside the above stuff I'm not interested in.

Name: The man with complex motives, DaMitch

Anime list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/danna45 unfortunately i'm too lazy to update this so it's fairly incomplete but should give a decent idea

Anime I am not interested in: no Precure. I already have plans to watch a lot of Precure when summer vacation hits. also preferably nothing too spooky unless it really pays off by the end and isn't just a spook/horrorfest.

Misc: Good soundtrack is always a plus.

Hopefully I finish HunterxHunter before this starts

Name: Synchro Y. Colorado

Anime I am not interested in: If the general consensus is that it's meh/bad, I'd rather not unless you REALLY insist it's a hidden gem. Nothing longer than 26 episodes for now.
Misc: I'm down for whatever basically.

I did this last time, and I really enjoyed it! So let's go round 2 bb

Name: VCR_CAT

[spoiler=Anime List in no particular order]

• Death Parade
  • Dennou Coil
  • Erased
  • Last Exile
  • Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing
  • Medabots
  • Megaman NT Warrior
  • My Hero Academia (Season 1)
  • One Punch Man
  • Samurai 7
  • Watamote (disliked)
  • Yugioh! DM/GX/5D's/Zexal/Arc V

Interests/Taste: I tend to have some strong tastes and opinions when it comes to... well, most things in general. In terms of shows; a strong art style/good visuals, good characters, and a good plot are sure to drag me right in. If a show is going to lean too much in any one of those three categories, I'd say that characters and plot matter much more to me than art style and visuals. Beyond that, you can probably tell that I have eclectic tastes when it comes to genre; so I'm very open to most things. BUT, what I'm NOT open to is stuff that's just moe or w/e. I'm not in it for that. If the show is genuinely very well written and good, then I'll probably enjoy it, but pay more attention to its characteristics beyond genre.

Misc: Of the animes I've seen above; my favorites are definitely: Dennou Coil, My Hero Academia, and One Punch Man in that order.

Name: Moog

[spoiler=Anime List (Not a full one just a list of recent ones ive watched and all time favorites)]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Serial Experiments Lain

Paranoia Agent

Aku No Hana

Trigun

Gundam Wing (only Gundam ive seen some of)

Outlaw Star

Log Horizon

Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat In Space

Night on the Galactic Railroad

Aggressive Retsuko

Perfect Blue

Paprika

Wolf Children

Maxim the Parasyte

Big O

Jewelpet

FLCL

Cat Soup

Kaiba

Digimon Tamers

Ghost In the Shell

Inferno Cop

Kill La Kill

JoJos Bizarre Adventure

Cowboy Bebop

Ringing Bell

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Anime I am not interested in: I guess really a big thing im not into is harem/ecchi material, not because im a big snob who looks down on fanservice but because im a massive furry and little half naked anime girls are just unappealing and boring for me. Also despite being a very big horror junkie I really dislike just about every anime horror ive seen (Exception being Parasyte) I have really disliked, now thats not to say that im completely off-limits towards Horror anime but it really has to be a very good very well praised and easily fitting with my tastes Horror anime or I probably wont bat an eye at it. Also please no sports anime at all. I have zero interest in sports and I have zero interests in seeing them in anime. I really also would wish to stay away from Romance unless its more outside the box than the typical Romance series.

Misc: I really love things that are meant to be very visual, especially when it comes down to surrealist visuals, I am also quite fond of things that have a lot of philosophy, psychology, symbolism, and just lots of very thought-provoking stuff. I like the weirdness of that sort of stuff and I really love to watch things that will challenge my mind, I just find that it really gives me more of an experience and sticks in my brain more if it can offer me food for thought. But not all the time do I try to sound like a pretentious 2deep4u art college student with what I watch, I can also enjoy things that focus more on the entertainment value than the artistic merit. When it comes down to this type of stuff I usually tend to watch action shows, mechs are cool with me and I really like a show with more fun characters but I also enjoy darker much more serious plotlines (So long as it isnt ridiculously edgy). I also really love hyper violence, but only when it doesnt take itself very seriously (like in Tokyo Gore Police), or is more stylistic (think Miike or Tarantino). Im also cool with Sanrio style stuff but it often tends to not be on my top favorites mostly because I tend to prefer other material over it, kind of too childish for me to consider favorite material but regardless I do genuinely like it and wouldnt mind being recommended to something like it either. Im also really into the Cyberpunk theme and themes on Artificial Intelligence if youre thinking of recing me a Sci-Fi show just keep that in mind. Also should mention that Im big on sort of yakuza, gangster, crime lord, type of material (Though I dont have any animes listed as that because I dont know very many ones and I havent seen any). One more thing that I think I should mention is that my favorite anime director is Satoshi Kon and my favorite non-anime directors are Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, and Takashi Miike. Yeah thats just about it.

The deadline for reviews is about a month from now but funk y'all I'm writing mine anyway because guess who just finished their anime.

The anime I was given was Sound Euphonium. Based on what little I'd read before hopping in, I'd expected to basically watch K-ON with different instruments and a slightly more serious tone. Every expectation I had for it with that in mind was systematically blown apart and exceeded, one by one, episode by episode. I could go on and on about how the cast as a whole developed, how I wound up feeling for this cast more than any anime cast before them, or the attention to detail in the animations, but I'd rather not waste too much time. I have a gif to get into my rotator and a show to add to MyAnimeList. Instead, I'll leave it at this: Whoever you are, my secret santa, you done good.

8/10 anime based on the animation and writing, plus two more for the cast and how everything that went through their hearts - good or bad - managed to find its way through mine too.

Since I had to drop my anime and theres no harm in doing early reviews I guess ill take a crack at reviewing mine. Railgun was an unpleasant watch to say at the least, looking at it from the outside it had a decent premise but a set-up and style that looked a little too...uhm ehhhhhhhhh and I was expecting it to be really hard to watch, and surprise surprise it was. I was originally only planning on at least getting to episode 5 but I had to stop it at episode 3 because it was unappealing in almost every aspect to me and I had other things in my backlog that I wanted to watch. The first and biggest thing that Railgun falls flat with is its humor, the show reminds me of why I hated K-On with the fact of how all of the jokes are either too casual or are underwhelming in the sense that there is a lack of comedic flow to anything, it just puts a bunch of cute girls there and throws jokes at you expecting you to laugh at them because theyre jokes. The first episode is extremely guilty of doing this (I will let loose with the 2nd episode which while it wasnt the most intriguing thing in the world or even all that funny at least was able to take advantage of its scenario and create more humor. Ill also admit that I did find the restaurant scene in the first episode to be funny but thats it), I know that cutesy animu chicks arent my thing but at least I can sit down and enjoy shows like Lucky Star and Nichijou because they have good humor thats written well and actually gives response to you, in Railgun theres nothing and most times I stood there blankly or just wondered if what I saw was a joke or not. Also that "fight scene" at the end of the first episode was one of the most bland action scenes ive ever sat through in an anime, ever.

Ill admit that after I got through the first episode (which I spent more time with it on pause while I paced around chugging down glasses of soda) the second episode made me a little bit more hopeful considering that it had comedic set-ups and actually took advantage of its scenarios, but when the third episode came around I completely ditched the show. The mystery that they were going for was just so empty, so lifeless, and so dull that I had to give up the show before I made it to the 5 episodes that I promised myself that id make it to. The mystery had no suspense in it whatsoever and didnt leave me guessing at all or even caring for that matter. Were in a set-up with all girls and the main girl doesnt wanna show the girls the crime scenes because its so horrible and when she caves in and shows them we dont get to see it, lemme guess it has something to do with their looks? And oh surprise it does when one of the main girls gets stunned and wakes up with big thick eyebrows. Is the perpetrator doing this because she wants revenge for her boyfriend telling her she was ugly because she has big thick eyebrows? Also yes. I will say though with this episode that I do like what they did with the chase scene in that the girl couldnt keep her appearance hidden on the cameras, thats a pretty cool idea.

I know it sounds like im being really harsh but I honestly cant think of very many positives. While the show itself had an okay idea and I did like a few jokes here and there the whole show was just a chore to watch due to how completely underwhelming of a watch it was, the whole show is so absorbed into creating a laidback atmosphere that it pollutes areas that dont need that type of feeling (Although I wasnt a fan of it, Hitsugi No Chaika does the mixture A LOT better than Railgun does), and overall just isnt funny most of the time if it had of been at least fun to watch I would have been able to at least say that it was an okay show but it really was as bad as I expected it to be. Yeah...sorry to whoever gave me this recommendation if this is your favorite show or if you really thought id dig it but I just couldnt stand it at all. So yeah Railgun gets a fat ol 2/10 from my end. Kind of ironic that the last time I did this I ended up getting Paranoia Agent and it became one of my top 5 favorites and now I got a show that really, really, really, wasnt doing it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only watched, what, four or five episodes, but the show I got, Shin Sekai Yori, was actually pretty interesting from what I've seen. Whoever recommended me it, really sorry I haven't finished it yet (shitty phone games been distracting me and all) but I've seen enough to give a cursory review, or so I hope? At least that should prove interesting to read.

The first thing that struck me was, that this show was really ambitious, you can really feel it in the world-building even in the first episode. It's not something that pays off right away and honestly the first episode felt somewhat boring because of that. And perhaps precisely because of that, I was already impressed with the show. Looking it up, it turns out to be an adaptation of a novel, and that suddenly made a fair amount of sense. It has a strong, very Japanese flavor of fantasy and sci-fi to it and at least to me that felt unique from the get-go. I'm already confident this is one of A-1 Pictures' better shows, although it still depends on how the plot carries onward. With that said, this is a novel adaptation so I'm not as concerned since everything's already written down.

The production values were pretty great. Character models were consistent, animation was solid, and I really like that it had a somewhat faded color palette for the characters but the backgrounds were bright and vivid. Has a fitting soundtrack too. Also the ED sequence is  gorgeous, both visually and the song. The CGi, during the ball rolling contest thing was a little jarring but I've seen much worse(Hi Berserk). It doesn't particularly detract that much. That's really all I have to say at the moment. Oh, and the slight bits at the beginning of the episode looks noticeably choppier than the rest of the show too, or maybe that's just me. It's some kinda cool foreshadowing thing I suppose.

[spoiler=HOLY funking sheet SPOILERS]Then I watched episode...3? Or was it 4? I'm not sure. But they really dropped it on us. Up until now it was a fairly comfortable Japanese fantasy with some strange aesthetics(the weird rodent people and the esper powers and stuff), then this sudden exposition dump. What the hell is this? Isn't this the sort of thing that's revealed way later on? Or at least halfways through? And despite that I was even more impressed. Things became weird and I really liked that. The weird animal thing's presence suddenly threw the entire show(which, is actually only a few episodes so far) out of balance. It was at this point that stuff happened and I became busy for a while, and then some shitty phone game got its nasty cold grip on me and I haven't looked at it since.)

I don't particularly care for the characters so far. I suppose this is a more concept-heavy story than a character-heavy one but it could develop to be something more. Somehow the cast reminds me a fair bit of Glasslip's cast, which I also didn't finish. Probably a coincidence and nothing more.

This show's high in my backlog list but chances are I won't be finishing it any time soon. So at least I'll write my thoughts on it now and provide some small satisfaction.

Welp, it's about the end of the 24th, so I might as well put out that list

Fusion X gave Yui Sound Euphonium
VCR gave Aix Last Exile
Rodrigo gave VCR: Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch!
Moog gave Smear: Show by Rock!!
Mitcher gave Fusion X Penguindrum
Aix gave Mitcher Shinsekai Yori
Yui gave Moog To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
Smear gave Rodrigo Motto To LOVE-Ru

feel free to say thank you now

I've been waiting for the reveal to say that I'm very sorry Railgun wasn't to your liking. I spent a good deal of time narrowing it down out of stuff I knew about that was also stuff I thought matched what was in your "stuff I like" paragraph, and it actually got down to the point where I had to flip a coin to decide between Railgun and something else I can't remember. Based on the last secret santa as well, I'm starting to think I might not be very good at this ._.

I've been waiting for the reveal to say that I'm very sorry Railgun wasn't to your liking. I spent a good deal of time narrowing it down out of stuff I knew about that was also stuff I thought matched what was in your "stuff I like" paragraph, and it actually got down to the point where I had to flip a coin to decide between Railgun and something else I can't remember. Based on the last secret santa as well, I'm starting to think I might not be very good at this ._.

Naah man salright, you tried and gave me something out of genuine care you at least deserve a pat on the back and a gold sticker. For some reason I was expecting my secret santa to be you after I got my show and looked at everyone elses list. Oh well it was still at least nice to give it a try and I found one or two aspects that made it not the worst thing in the world and its not Kanokon (Which I consider to be the worst show ive ever tried to sit through) so theres that. You can always try again m8 pretty sure youll get it right sometime.

The deadline for reviews is about a month from now but funk y'all I'm writing mine anyway because guess who just finished their anime.

The anime I was given was Sound Euphonium. Based on what little I'd read before hopping in, I'd expected to basically watch K-ON with different instruments and a slightly more serious tone. Every expectation I had for it with that in mind was systematically blown apart and exceeded, one by one, episode by episode. I could go on and on about how the cast as a whole developed, how I wound up feeling for this cast more than any anime cast before them, or the attention to detail in the animations, but I'd rather not waste too much time. I have a gif to get into my rotator and a show to add to MyAnimeList. Instead, I'll leave it at this: Whoever you are, my secret santa, you done good.

8/10 anime based on the animation and writing, plus two more for the cast and how everything that went through their hearts - good or bad - managed to find its way through mine too.

Glad you liked it! Everyone pretty much had the same experience I think, going in expecting another K-ON and getting a very pleasant surprise. And there's a second season coming, I believe this fall.

I'm sorry, I actually completely forgot about this. But thanks to Mitcher for recommending Penguindrum; it's one of those anime that's been on my radar for years, but haven't actually checked out yet. When I finish Always Sunny on Netflix, that'll be the first thing I watch and I'll let you know if I liked it.

Archived