[Discussion] Shape of the Earth: Flat or Globular?

cr47t

Thought I would make a topic on this. Note that this is a serious conversation, so please do not joke around.

Discuss.

EDIT for people who are choosing to explore the archives of debates; I don't actually think the earth is flat -- I just thought the video did a good job of dealing with it and debunking the claims, to an extent.

If he had talked about how relativity worked I would have viewed him (And the theory) as far less crazy. It's not even relativity in the sense he defined it, if we are far enough away from the earth it will be a flat disc from any perspective. 

The issue with flat earth theories from my very limited understanding, well my two issues, are that one: The theories generally focus on the earth only, not the universe as whole. It's easy to make a theory that fits the Earth and our Solar System. Making a theory that fits that without regards for our observations for the rest of the universe is harder. 

And secondly: They have to say 'Oh all the space travel is fabricated' to explain it, which is far too tinfoil to regard the theory with any real scientific rigour. So long as we are capable of space travel, we can dismiss the theory in any reality that we are capable of existing in currently.

Well technically there's a quantum propobilty that the earth might become flat for an instant. So maybe

If you are defining flat at that level, I don't think there is. Even if it does exist, it's so statistically improbable it does not lend credence to the idea of a flat earth. 

You can't call something a serious conversation when it simply isn't. The flat earth theorists are a joke. We've known for centuries that the Earth was round. It can be proven scientifically very easily. We have been to space and have seen the Earth. The fact that believe could believe otherwise actually pains me.

You can literally determine that the earth is circular based on casual observations of the sun and moon. So take a moment...

remember-that-time-you-forgot-to-think-c

Brb, funding expedition to establish diplomatic relations with the mole people at the center of the earth.

You can't call something a serious conversation when it simply isn't. The flat earth theorists are a joke. We've known for centuries that the Earth was round. It can be proven scientifically very easily. We have been to space and have seen the Earth. The fact that believe could believe otherwise actually pains me.

Ok, someone went a no bullshit route with their post, I don't have to.

I think that's a /thread there, folks.

Archived