Cardinal Sky [OoC/Limited Acceptance/Not Started]

Aix

I suppose if none of you are going to start moving, I will.

Please respond to this thread within 48 hours or I will assume you have lost interest in this roleplay. Just a restatement of interest is all I want. That, and a completed application.

First of all, I'd like to accept Raine's character as the Turtle. If there is someone else aiming for the Turtle, I'm sure we can stretch another role so that your character counts as them.

Raine, since you asked, I'll shed my thoughts on your character.

I do like your interpretation of the wisdom and intelligence needed to be the Turtle, her ruthless practicality and experience will prove invaluable. There's a weird bit in the personality section that I'd like clarified: "she’s liberal with her own knowledge and sparingly shares relevant information." She's liberal and yet sparing? What does that mean exactly?

Her mundane, realistic, and depressing background is nice; it's something you won't find often on YCM and it does well to explain her character. Her inventory only further solidifies this sense of realism from her character which will come to a fun contrast with the idealistic fantasy of the setting.

It's definitely good that she has some competence. Her ability for negotiation will be quite crucial. Her power is a fun one for me as a host to be able to display the other options that we had. It's certainly useful though. Any sort of information gathering ability is very useful in this roleplay and I will accept it if anyone makes an information-related ability for a slot other than Turtle.

My fault on the wording, that line is left over from when I was debating with myself the details of her character and going through personality drafts. I must have missed it in my last edit. She is very generous with knowledge, I'll remove that "sparingly" wording. I'm glad you liked the nature of the character!

(1) The picture for her appearance is way too young for a 27 year old, unless you purposely wish to make her appear like to be in her early teens, which would be kind of weird.

(2) "She enjoys being a leader, but is not bossy when leading." At this moment, this seems tacked on and needs elaboration.

(3) I'm not too sure why you said "when she's not studying an organism". I think you mean when she needs to make any sort of judgement, she tends to go with her instincts, but then you would imply that studying biology does not require judgement.

(4) "Seraphina is almost always open to making new friends when in a good mood, but if agitated will grow hostile to strangers."

I'd like a little more elaboration on this. Is the hostility due to some primal, bestial instinct or something else?

(5) And now to the main feature of your character, her fixation with biology and her attunement with nature that borders on the supernatural. The concept itself could be done very interestingly, but I feel very unconvinced by what you've written. I understand she is just born with a strong relationship with nature, but there is little there that gives her any complexity and the most notable thing there are her ability to take on animal personalities. You failed to convey the possibility of any human depth and made her quite unrealistic as a character. For the simplest solution, I suggest writing more about her human side.

If this were my normal roleplays, I might have more or less handwaved it, except for the special nature powers which you'd have to give me a good reason for me to accept. But here, I am rather unsatisfied.

(6) As for the latter portion of the app, the animal powers are too far-fetched, I'd rather you not have them. The vegetarian part seems tacked on with the simple train of thought of "she likes nature so she won't eat animals", but I feel unconvinced since she easily takes on animal personalities, including that of predators. You'd have to explain more on that.

Ok. I am re-vising the app and would like to know what you think of the new version. I have addressed every point you have brought up in your advice.

[spoiler=Aster P'an]

bDcFR0k.jpg

8iE6yRj4T.png

Name: Sun Mi "Aster" P'an

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Appearance]

0fa867866e795e2d7ac8d4c63edf161f_480.jpg

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 121

Blood Type: AB+

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Personality]Aster's personality is similar to how one might describe a storm. A lifestyle of risky behavior and living on according to her own rules has lead to the person Aster P'an has become today. A bold and social animal most of Aster's dialogue is simple and humorous, and carries the tone of someone who doesn't regret much and lives as though every day is her last. Aster has little patience for theory or philosophies viewing such intangible concepts as pretentious, and while she has the intelligence to understand them, prefers to focus on the tangible and real things.

However as a sufferer of manic depressive episodes many of Aster's energetic highs are often followed by moody lows in which Aster's personality becomes combative and volatile. During these times Aster's already risk-prone behavior is turned up to 11, and she has at times hit lows so bad that she becomes borderline suicidal. As someone who struggles to properly deal with her own emotions Aster's ability to sensitively deal with emotionally charged situations, and will hit someone with a can of blunt of truth rather than try and spare their feelings.

As one might expect from someone of Aster's circumstances, she is not terribly sympathetic of others and there own circumstances. She views others entirely on a merit based ideology, believing people who can't help themselves deserve to be left behind. This Darwinist ideology applies to both social and emotional situations, so despite her keen perception of others emotions she has little concern for them, or the emotional baggage other maybe carrying.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Biography]The second generation child of poor South Korean parents Aster, as the first born son, had almost crushingly high expectations placed on her head. As the first son Aster was afforded many privileges from her parents, however she was also expected to perform well in school as well as assist in housework and in her parent's tailor's. Aster's father encouraged her to become involved in sports, however Aster often quickly quit any sports she participated preferring to help her mother mend clothes. While she was young these behaviors were although not preferable, they were tolerated, however as Aster aged into her teens these "feminine" behaviors became unacceptable in the first born son.

At school Aster often felt isolated from her predominantly white classmates, who tended to much more affluent than she was, which often lead to their mocking of her. This along with the fact that Aster herself was beginning to realize that she was quite different from other boys her age, lead to the divide between Aster and those in her life to become larger. Slowly her grades began to slip, and Aster began to slip in with a bad crowd slowly building tensions between Aster and her parents. The last straw came when Aster came out to her parents as gay, and finally the couple pushed to their limits threw their first born son out of the house.

With nowhere to go and nobody to turn to Aster to sink into a life of hard substance abuse and prostitution to support herself. While Aster had thought that coming out would finally free her, she still felt that something about her was wrong. Thinking perhaps her pathetic state was the cause of her depression the young woman began to try building a better life, and after several years and plenty of underhanded deals Aster became the owner of her own club. By this time Aster had finally figured out exactly what had always made her feel so wrong, and it was the fact she was born into a body that was not her own. Using the money she had acquired from her now thriving club.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Inventory]Handbag - A simple black strapless handbag is the only thing Aster was transported to the other world with. Within are several items that at this point are likely pretty useless.

• Signalless Cell Phone - At this point really nothing more than a glorified flashlight, and one that likely won't last that long anyway considering it's only got about 46% battery left anyway.
  • Various Make-up Products - As a trans woman Aster's femininity is very important to her, and so she carries make-up products with her to re-apply throughout the day.
  • Anti-Depressants - Most of the time the only way Aster is able to get out of the bed in morning, and at only about a half a prescription left it's only a matter of time until she hits a brick wall.
  • Pepper Spray - As a trans woman living a rather dangerous part of town this is her way of defending herself against any men, or women who might get any want to pick a fight.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Skills]Good Cook - Scraping by a living on the streets Aster quickly learned practical skills. Over the years however her cooking skills have improved, and she could probably rival professionals at this point. Aster can also whip up a mean drink given the right materials.

Bilingual - Aster is able to speak English as well as Korean

Seamstress - Skills acquired from working in her parents tailor's. Give Aster a piece of ripped clothing and she'll have it looking as good as new. She also enjoys using this skills to pass time as an artistic hobby making her own clothing or full pictures using just a thread and needle.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Power]Psychometric Empathy - Aster is able to experience the memories of others through touch. This ability can also activate should Aster touch an object or be in an area that has a long history or powerful memories associated with it. However when experiencing a memory all 5 of Aster's senses are heightened, and Aster experiences the emotions associated with the memories she experiences as if she were feeling the emotions themselves. So, if Aster were to say, die, in the memory she would feel as though she herself had died, or if the person who's memory she is experiencing becomes very sad Aster may begin to cry. The ability can activate without warning, and Aster is not given much sense as to what sort of objects contain memories. Also when trying to perform this ability on another person if they are unwilling Aster will have a much more difficult time viewing that person's memories. It should be noted that when using this ability with a person the ability can work in reverse allowing the other person to see Aster's memories as well, however Aster must allow this to happen first.

Finished my app. If you have the time I would love a review

Ok. I am re-vising the app and would like to know what you think of the new version. I have addressed every point you have brought up in your advice.

I meant for you to elaborate on what sort of leader she is, and what would even make her a leader. I'd like you to elaborate on what prompts her to take on animal characteristics in her personality and generally explain it more.

[spoiler=Aster P'an]

bDcFR0k.jpg

8iE6yRj4T.png

Name: Sun Mi "Aster" P'an

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Appearance]

0fa867866e795e2d7ac8d4c63edf161f_480.jpg

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 121

Blood Type: AB+

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Personality]Aster's personality is similar to how one might describe a storm. A lifestyle of risky behavior and living on according to her own rules has lead to the person Aster P'an has become today. A bold and social animal most of Aster's dialogue is simple and humorous, and carries the tone of someone who doesn't regret much and lives as though every day is her last. Aster has little patience for theory or philosophies viewing such intangible concepts as pretentious, and while she has the intelligence to understand them, prefers to focus on the tangible and real things.

However as a sufferer of manic depressive episodes many of Aster's energetic highs are often followed by moody lows in which Aster's personality becomes combative and volatile. During these times Aster's already risk-prone behavior is turned up to 11, and she has at times hit lows so bad that she becomes borderline suicidal. As someone who struggles to properly deal with her own emotions Aster's ability to sensitively deal with emotionally charged situations, and will hit someone with a can of blunt of truth rather than try and spare their feelings.

As one might expect from someone of Aster's circumstances, she is not terribly sympathetic of others and there own circumstances. She views others entirely on a merit based ideology, believing people who can't help themselves deserve to be left behind. This Darwinist ideology applies to both social and emotional situations, so despite her keen perception of others emotions she has little concern for them, or the emotional baggage other maybe carrying.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Biography]The second generation child of poor South Korean parents Aster, as the first born son, had almost crushingly high expectations placed on her head. As the first son Aster was afforded many privileges from her parents, however she was also expected to perform well in school as well as assist in housework and in her parent's tailor's. Aster's father encouraged her to become involved in sports, however Aster often quickly quit any sports she participated preferring to help her mother mend clothes. While she was young these behaviors were although not preferable, they were tolerated, however as Aster aged into her teens these "feminine" behaviors became unacceptable in the first born son.

At school Aster often felt isolated from her predominantly white classmates, who tended to much more affluent than she was, which often lead to their mocking of her. This along with the fact that Aster herself was beginning to realize that she was quite different from other boys her age, lead to the divide between Aster and those in her life to become larger. Slowly her grades began to slip, and Aster began to slip in with a bad crowd slowly building tensions between Aster and her parents. The last straw came when Aster came out to her parents as gay, and finally the couple pushed to their limits threw their first born son out of the house.

With nowhere to go and nobody to turn to Aster to sink into a life of hard substance abuse and prostitution to support herself. While Aster had thought that coming out would finally free her, she still felt that something about her was wrong. Thinking perhaps her pathetic state was the cause of her depression the young woman began to try building a better life, and after several years and plenty of underhanded deals Aster became the owner of her own club. By this time Aster had finally figured out exactly what had always made her feel so wrong, and it was the fact she was born into a body that was not her own. Using the money she had acquired from her now thriving club.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Inventory]Handbag - A simple black strapless handbag is the only thing Aster was transported to the other world with. Within are several items that at this point are likely pretty useless.

• Signalless Cell Phone - At this point really nothing more than a glorified flashlight, and one that likely won't last that long anyway considering it's only got about 46% battery left anyway.
  • Various Make-up Products - As a trans woman Aster's femininity is very important to her, and so she carries make-up products with her to re-apply throughout the day.
  • Anti-Depressants - Most of the time the only way Aster is able to get out of the bed in morning, and at only about a half a prescription left it's only a matter of time until she hits a brick wall.
  • Pepper Spray - As a trans woman living a rather dangerous part of town this is her way of defending herself against any men, or women who might get any want to pick a fight.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Skills]Good Cook - Scraping by a living on the streets Aster quickly learned practical skills. Over the years however her cooking skills have improved, and she could probably rival professionals at this point. Aster can also whip up a mean drink given the right materials.

Bilingual - Aster is able to speak English as well as Korean

Seamstress - Skills acquired from working in her parents tailor's. Give Aster a piece of ripped clothing and she'll have it looking as good as new. She also enjoys using this skills to pass time as an artistic hobby making her own clothing or full pictures using just a thread and needle.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Power]Psychometric Empathy - Aster is able to experience the memories of others through touch. This ability can also activate should Aster touch an object or be in an area that has a long history or powerful memories associated with it. However when experiencing a memory all 5 of Aster's senses are heightened, and Aster experiences the emotions associated with the memories she experiences as if she were feeling the emotions themselves. So, if Aster were to say, die, in the memory she would feel as though she herself had died, or if the person who's memory she is experiencing becomes very sad Aster may begin to cry. The ability can activate without warning, and Aster is not given much sense as to what sort of objects contain memories. Also when trying to perform this ability on another person if they are unwilling Aster will have a much more difficult time viewing that person's memories. It should be noted that when using this ability with a person the ability can work in reverse allowing the other person to see Aster's memories as well, however Aster must allow this to happen first.

Now that I have lovely rule following app can I have a review please :3

I meant for you to elaborate on what sort of leader she is, and what would even make her a leader. I'd like you to elaborate on what prompts her to take on animal characteristics in her personality and generally explain it more.

Alright. I've tried to add to my revised version, and addressed both of these points. (The added text for the latter I placed in the biography section; it just seemed to fit there.) I hope it's enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to say this, but... is anyone else still interested? I've been waiting for a while for progress to get moving (and for a verdict on my re-revised app) but there hasn't been any movement from some other people applying, and not much movement from Aix himself as of yet.

I still want to apply for this even as I fully know well and true that this is going to probably play out like every other typical Aix RP.

But I'm bored and have nothing else to do and at least Aix is good enough at hosting for at least the length the RP is alive (well, usually).

So count me interested.

Also, I just realized I haven't done anything on YCM in like weeks lol.

I'm back I guess.

Never mind didn't realize the thread was necrobumped.

Well, that ended quickly.

Okay, this isn't work because I'd thought I'd be able to get it running smoothly before university and get a feel for the pace. Now with my semester is approaching, I don't think I will be able to properly dedicate the thought and effort to host this the way I want.

I have a very heavy course load.

Okay, this isn't work because I'd thought I'd be able to get it running smoothly before university and get a feel for the pace. Now with my semester is approaching, I don't think I will be able to properly dedicate the thought and effort to host this the way I want.

I have a very heavy course load.

Wait, so... what does this mean? Are you canceling the RP or something? Or putting it on hiatus? (Or something else?)

Archived