O9's first episode is ridiculously damn packed, lije whoa.

It's actually pretty nice and solid despite how fast everything go, but just how much they cram things there seems pretty alarming imo.

Yeah it was ridiculously packed in so many ways. Damn the Ryotas.

It'd be a miracle if they can keep cramming that much every episode, since O9 only has 2 light novels out and the first ep went through the first one entirely. Once it gets past volume 2 it'll be all anime original and by then I really don't see a reason for its pacing although I do hope it won't slow down too much.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Out! 's first episode was pretty meh. I'm not a huge fan of the art direction that almost certainly has an ulterior motive, but I can accept stuff like that if the content is there. Episode 1 pretty much had no rugby in a rugby anime, so my expectations are failing. I haven't yet watched episode 2 yet, but at the very least I think imma at least give it 3 episodes to see where it goes. It ain't no Haikyu but I hope it does pick up cuz I would actually like to learn more about rugby like Hajime no Ippo and the aforementioned Haikyu did for their respective sports.

I'll be honest, I think I'm legit most excited about Keijo!!!!!!!! out of everything every week. I've missed my sports lately, and yeah I've been super wanting more Haikyuu!! forever, but I've already read the manga so that takes a bit away from it. Meanwhile Keijo!!!!!!!! is actually a really funking good sports series. Read 36 chapters of the manga after the first episode came out and it's awesome. And it's not about the boobs, either, because while I won't deny they are nice to see, I'm not a teenager anymore, I really stopped getting all excited and hot and bothered about that sort of thing years ago.

Second episode of Keijo!!!!!!!! was hilarious and I was super excited going in, but I think I'm gonna drop the anime and just continue reading the manga. The anime changes too much, like how they've completely cut any mention of the male characters at the school and skip a lot of the side development.

I'll probably chime in to figure out what the Gate of Babylon in the OP is about, though, if it's not so apparent in the manga.

buengWn.jpg?1

Izetta's third ep convinced me it's Valkyria Chronicles the anime.

Overall impression of this season:

God tier:
Gi(a)rlish Number

Questionably as god tier:
Flip Flappers

Almost questionably as god tier:
WIXOSS

Occultic;nine

breddy gud tier:
Izetta

Hibikek

Takkyu Musume

Yaoi Onsen

Gundam

alrighto tier:
3gatsu

ALL OUT

Keijo

Stella no Mahou

wwwworking

tawawa

eh:

ikusei(second ep onwards)

stray dogs

VC had an anime already, though.

Haven't seen it so I wouldn't know if it was good(knowing video game adaptations though...) but Izetta's similarities to VC is almost spooky in some ways. I guess it's just the byproduct of having a WW-inspired setting that includes a magical girl or two in both series. They even have footsoldiers shouting "Medic! Medic!" gdi. And having the third ep give significant focus to this random soldier boy is pretty similar to how VC gives all its troop characters some bio and backstory.

The similarities may or may not turn out to only be skindeep by the end of the show but so far it was more than enough to entertain me.

iirc the VC anime was kinda meh, maybe even terrible but I'm not sure.

But yeah, I'm loving the show so far. This kind of setting is awesome and the animation and music are really nice. I'm also really loving the portrayal of war in the beginning parts of this episode.

Yep I would def consider All Out in alrighto.

Second episode was, by an enormous margin, much better than the first. It still wasn't all that crazy, but at least we got to see some actual rugby and to see the MC start doing MC stuff. The animation during the action sequences seems pretty good too. If the quality and content continue to pick up and Madhouse starts being Madhouse then I could see it becoming pretty good. We'll have to wait until the first game or whatever to know for sure though.

On a side note I gotta admit I didn't even notice the art style by the second ep. Funny how something you don't much care for one day becomes irrelevant the next.

Dub's already started for Izetta, gonna have to check that out sometime.

Also, got around to seeing the first episode of Fune wo Amu/The Great Passage today. Seems really interesting so far, it's based on a popular novel that had a movie adaption back in 2013 which I'd actually heard of but never watched, it's neat to see it pop up again in this context.

• 2 weeks later...

Haikyuu 3-Haikyuu's one of the best sports anime ever, always down for more.

Sound Euphonium 2-The first cour was the sleeper hit of that season and I really enjoyed it, so I'm psyched for a sequel.

Drifters-I didn't like the manga when I read it, but I could see this being really good as an anime if the right people are behind it, so I'll give it another shot.

Occultic;Nine-Same guys behind Steins;Gate? I'll be keeping an eye out and hoping they can dish out another great show.

And that's it for now. I'll see if any other shows are talked about as they come, but it looks like it'll be a light season for me.

As of right now, I'm watching the first three and they're all fun romps so far! But I heard Occultic;Nine was weird and not very good, so I'm steering clear from that.

I also picked up:

Izetta The Last Witch-It's okay.

Yuri on Ice-Soooo gay, I love it and its slickass animation. My favorite so far besides Haikyuu.

March Comes in like a Lion-I like it so far, very atmospheric show. First episode had standout direction too.

I'm debating picking up Keijo!!!!!!!! since I heard it was really stupid but fun.

I'm debating picking up Keijo!!!!!!!! since I heard it was really stupid but fun.

I think it's very good, has all the good sports genre conventions and stuff, but I'd read the manga instead if you want to get into it, the anime cuts out a lot of stuff (like skipping the first 20 chapters).

I think it's very good, has all the good sports genre conventions and stuff, but I'd read the manga instead if you want to get into it, the anime cuts out a lot of stuff (like skipping the first 20 chapters).

LuffyZoro2.jpg

Don't get why they'd do that, but I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll try out the first chapter and see where I go from there.

I assume it was to get right into the action, the first 20 chapters have abunch of (important) character intoductions, training, gives backstory, stuff like that.

And while the sport's very ecchi, the series takes the ridiculousness of it and runs with it while maintaining a completely serious attitude about the sport, it's quite fun.

It is downright funking abnormal how quickly Ping Pong Girls jumped from being 'pretty good' to being one of my favorites this season from episode 3 onwards. Am I the only one who's watching this? Is it just me or is the show really funking brilliant?

Also Drifters is some good mindless fun. And Vivid Strike's first episode was nice, I guess? And didn't seem to rely on Nanohaverse's lore much yet. WIll find time to watch until that loli beatdown scene and then see.

What I've seen from Ping Pong Girls definitely looked promising but this season I think I've already into a bit too much girls doing things anime so I probbaly will check it once it finish airing.

Drifter's a beautiful mindless fun. No plot? No problem! Nasu no Yoichi is best girl.

haven't picked up 3-gatsu no Lion again yet, decided to put it on hold, same as Yuri!!! on Ice. Not in the mood for Keijo!!!!!!!!, FlipFlap's pretty fun so far, Gundam's doing good so far since it has way better pacing than the previous season, and then there's Gi(a)rlish Number which is my current AOTS.

Assuming 12 episodes and Watari didn't screw up badly (after yahari i doubt he will), other shows gonna have a hard time to top it. It doesn't aim that hard to be a hard critique to the industry, but it still shows the worst parts of it all while the humor and Chitose carried the show hard. Chitose's a rotten human being but she's a blast to watch (and to laugh at whenever she got full of herself and then things went off badly), and the supporting cast is solid too. I'm really glad it does have more substance than just a cynical view on the industry, and the underlying drama covered with all the humor was definitely promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived