(COTD) Dark World Brainwashing

Setting up the right monster on the field looks like the only real difficulty with this card.

Beiige is good as recurring monster negation, but it has 1600 ATK meaning it can be easily run over and has no guarantee that it'll be the one discarded. Gold and Silver are better than Beiige due to higher stats/actual abilities when discarded by opponent cards, but getting them on the field in the first place looks like the hardest part. Grapha is easy to get on the field, has high stats but just isn't recurring.

Anyway, were Lightsworn and DW first featured in the same pack?

The fact that this thing has no once per turn in the slightest is absolutely bonkers considering the interactions that can arise:

1) Discarding Broww draws 2 cards, letting you keep your hand up.

2) Discarding Beiige, Goldd, Latinum, or Sillva replaces the monster you had to bounce back, effectively making the cost 0 on top of whatever bonus effects may trigger since it was an opponent's card effect that discarded.

3) Discarding Grapha pops a thing, but then you have a chance to steal a monster from their hand.

4) Discarding Lucent gives you TWO things to bounce back for the price of one.

This card, with the proper hand, effectively makes it so "if I have Dark Worlds on my field, you are not ever using monster effects". It's pretty freakin amazing.

It requires you to have 3 cards in hand. That's a lot in Dark World, or at least used to be, given dark world ran like 13 monsters? 3 Snoww, 3 Broww, one Beige, 2-3 Grapha, Tour Guide to the uUnderworld, Sangan and then maybe a tech slot or two. Depending on the format.

If you had 3 cards in your hand that could all trigger, you've probably burnt through your deck, which means you probably aleady had answers that weren't conditional. Or you just bricked, which was an issue with dark world. The bigger issue still was that almost all your draw power was at +0 or worse.  Whichmeant you could never really refil your hand outside of Reckless Greed.

this seems to have is that from the wording it hits sheet that wouldn't get stopped by skill drain, which is great. But it's still fairly conditional with kinda minimum upside with conditions that don't play well around how the deck functioned. It could, and probably would function differently now, but I don't see it wanting to run clunky cards given it already has consitency issues.

I also don't think that it's especially good in the mirror, because sheet being in play in the mirror usually implied somebody did something, and that just ends really really poorly in the Dark World mirror. Given your entire deck essentially enables the opponents. The only stuff that would easily be in play in the Dark World mirror was like some rank 3 off of TGU because TGU didn't require you to play any triggers?

But given I haven't played a game of YGO in years what the hell do I know?

Yeah, u start with 5 cards, have to hold 3 in hand while going through, devote a normal as well as setting this. So outside of resolving cupidity it doesn't seem you are able to set backrow alongside it or take advantage of its no OPT. Atm it's pretty terrible until we get a Dark World NS that can search w/e cause its literally asking you to not commit.

The deck is a turbo deck, and every attempt toss control-esque aspects into it (such as the viruses) only made it worse, with the exception of Compulsory. Not only that, but despite the fact that having 3+ cards in your hand isn't that difficult, it still means that you have to kneecap your plays to actually utilize it properly.

It doesn't help at all. It's actually pretty bad, unless the way the deck is played fundamentally changes. Even then it's pretty bad because it says random.

I played the sheet out of this deck and hope it gets some real, good support. It was one of my favorites ever.

The deck is a turbo deck, and every attempt toss control-esque aspects into it (such as the viruses) only made it worse, with the exception of Compulsory. Not only that, but despite the fact that having 3+ cards in your hand isn't that difficult, it still means that you have to kneecap your plays to actually utilize it properly.

It doesn't help at all. It's actually pretty bad, unless the way the deck is played fundamentally changes. Even then it's pretty bad because it says random.

I played the sheet out of this deck and hope it gets some real, good support. It was one of my favorites ever.

I'm curious if it'll see any play OCG side given that Skill Drain is at 3, and Card Destruction is still legal. 

I haven't play much DW, so you'd have to tell me what the deck's major lack is rinnow

I missed the random but holy funk this is garbage then

It was bad with the limitations before, but going "okay I have Beiige on board with Grapha, Snoww, and Grapha in hand, I HOPE I BOUNCE AND DISCARD BEIIGE" is retarded

yeah this is unplayable, probably even if the deck gets a way to go +X t1.

I missed the random but holy funk this is garbage then

It was bad with the limitations before, but going "okay I have Beiige on board with Grapha, Snoww, and Grapha in hand, I HOPE I BOUNCE AND DISCARD BEIIGE" is retarded

It's a weaker skill drain that's searchable. Isn't holy garbage being a little over dramatic given that most of the cards in your hand are gonna get crazy effects off being discarded by an opponent's card?

It's a weaker skill drain that's searchable. Isn't holy garbage being a little over dramatic given that most of the cards in your hand are gonna get crazy effects off being discarded by an opponent's card?

Requires effectively passing T1, considering the deck's general lack of advantage gain

is dead when drawn later

randomly discards, so you can't get the effect you need when you need it

i didn't say holy garbage, but it is pretty funking bad

I missed the random but holy f*** this is garbage then

To be fair, negating 1 and getting some other effects is p alright

Also, the card's probably meant to be used with bouncing Grapha since that's the best way to ensure both the field and hand meet conditions

Worth noting that only Silva and Lucent get "crazy" effects off being discarded by opp

Broww getting an extra draw is pretty good value but 90% of the time you don't want to wait for your opponent's turn to discard that because he's so key to your engine

It doesn't really make sense to look at this card as a control/enabler dichotomy because it's built to be both

It's not really "garbage" per say but it does strongly incentivize you build an inherently brickier Dark World deck due to functioning best with Goldd and Silva, and to some extent it revolves around Grapha being live just as much as any Dark World deck already did. In the absence of Grapha you're forced to limit your plays to maybe 1-2 summons max, and it probably increases your possible bricks because now in addition to Too Many Monster or Too Many Backrow scenarios, you now have this card + Not Enough Monster scenario to reliably get a good discard.

No OPT and working on monsters anywhere is prob meant to compensate somewhat for these problems.

Why would you want to run a brickier varient of an already bricky deck? Dark World needed outright power cards, not something that is janky more times that it isn't. You aren't going to add sheet like Lucent or Silva into the build because they are dead. Like unless you trigger off of this, all you get is a body that you can't even normal summon. They will sit in your hand, and you'll be wishing 'Why can't I have put something that either does something, or gets more closer to doing something'

Broww, Grapha and Snoww are the only cards that will trigger off of this for crazy effects that you are like to run (Unless the build had changed drastically which I doubt). And you aren't going to sit on Broww or Snoww just for the chance to trigger of this because they could be busy thinning your deck and giving you things you can actually win the game with instead.

Just give the deck more than two good monsters. Seriiously, give the deck a monster that gives consitent value and or tempo, and it fixes some of the issues the deck has. It's still crippled by the side deck, and probably still struggles with constency, but it's a start at least.

I'm not even surprised it isn't good, I'm just upset that DARK WORLD cards are being made on principle. If you're going to increase the complexity ceiling of the game like Links are doing you shouldn't be rewarding archetypes that are insanely easy to use while being basically unaffected by the rule change. It's always been a linear, dull archetype that anyone with any skill level can pilot with equal competence, this is not the direction to go with the game and archetypes you give legacy support.

Seems ... okay? Like a decent tech choice? 

This has a few advantages, but is the conditional disruption it offers any better than the unconditional disruption provided by generic staples? I hardly think running this will change the lineup of monsters you play; The cards whose main chunk of value are in their "if discarded by an opponent's card effect" effects are bricky if you don't have this, and even if you do have this, the random discard could miss and hit something else in your hand. 

I'd give it a D plus. Maybe a C minus. Seems pretty low-impact -- and if you're in a position where you have enough Dark Worlds to "go off" with this card, you'd probably be in a good place without it, anyway.

Archived