YCM is dead, how can we fix this?

In the last few weeks I've been getting way more invested in the site.

So I honestly would be open to moderating a potential subreddit if that ever comes up. Idk what the sub would be for. But it might be a way for people who use reddit frequently to actually see some posts and think about the forum more?

It should however be noted that this would create a completely different group of visitors probably. As reddit is less personal.

It might also be a good replacement for Joke and Overpowered cards. Which technically got turned into "Free Card Design", but really didn't and is dead now. (R.I.P. Joke and Overpowered cards, you were my favorite subforum, may the Lord have your soul)

I have some ideas to revitalize CC (some that are borrowed from AGM and the DP server), but a lot of them are community dependent. Things that come to mind are:

• Possible community archetype.
  • "Card of the Period" (which is probably every 2 weeks or something, because my coursework/life will not permit me to do it every week [also the activity in the area isn't exactly high enough to garner sufficient postings])
  • CC tournaments actually being a consistent thing (or I can try doing more of those multi-stage tournaments like in October with the ZPD Field Exam)

@Flash Flyer - Sakura Wait, so you're saying there will be actual tourneys where we can duel using our created cards? I imagine this will be closed to cards/archetypes/decks that do not live up to the standards in Advanced though...

What precisely do you mean "community archetype"? I'm genuinely curious, will that be some kind of grand collab by the community at large to create our own archetype?

With regards to the population problem, I do have a few ideas. Not sure how good/useful they are but here goes...

1. Have more events and community-based stuff

This is kinda self-explanatory. If we could come up with ways to get people more involved on the forums and sharing their cards maybe we could increase the numbers a little bit. The only thing that comes to mind RN is maybe having card creating contests both for competitive and casual. Get some of the veterans in on it as judges, and (this is the really hard part) come up with prizes. You could perhaps have a single-card bracket and a multiple/archetype bracket...Idk, I'm just spitballing here. Maybe its bad idea.

2. I've actually been thinking about starting a Yugituber channel, and thought about maybe having a segment/show on my hypothetical channel called "Custom Card Spotlight" or something to that effect where I pick an individual card, set of multiples, or entire archetype here on these forums and review it. I thought it would be a great way to shine the spotlight on this site, as well as on some of the really creative content that is produced here and is only ever seen by a few people. The channel would also be focused on the more fun/artistic side of Yugioh, eschewing metagame content for card art reviews, archetype theme analysis, and just recording my duels on Duelingbook with opponents who prefer fun over metagaming. There are several problems with this, namely that I can barely make good cards let alone review them, and also that I hate the sound of my own voice and am not too fond of my face either...

So if anyone else wants to take this idea and run with it, I'll be happy to write your scripts for you! :P

@Flash Flyer - Sakura Wait, so you're saying there will be actual tourneys where we can duel using our created cards? I imagine this will be closed to cards/archetypes/decks that do not live up to the standards in Advanced though...

What precisely do you mean "community archetype"? I'm genuinely curious, will that be some kind of grand collab by the community at large to create our own archetype?

If there's enough interest among the member base for the idea, then we can resume having tournaments on Duel Portal. But that being said, the original DP format fell apart somewhat because of the problems judging cards for a format and taking into consideration hybrid builds (not pure); 2099 had other issues iirc and the last one fell apart due to lack of interest.

I was referring more towards card contests (basically, I make one with a certain theme, members make stuff, I grade them based on performance and then declare a winner). Most of the time, they're just one card submissions because time constraints. Multi-stage ones would just be giving you multiple themes to design for, which I did back in October. 

====

For the community archetype, yes, it's essentially a collaboration project. Members submit names / short pitches (general ideas; not an entire prompt), which are put up to a vote, and best one would be the idea that gets done (least the one that majority vote for). After that, design would be up to the community. Idea is to make the project accessible to members of all skill levels, instead of requiring you be knowledgeable on the metagame at present to play.

Obviously, this will require that you all cooperate with each other and be mindful that not everyone has the same design mentality or knowledge of the game as you do. This doesn't mean you'll be allowed to make blatantly busted cards, but if something is amiss in design, don't be a jerk towards the member who made it. At the same time, the member who made it must be civil about it and work out changes; not lash out.

The latter is community dependent, as it relies on (1) idea submissions, (2) people voting on them and hopefully choices are picked somewhat evenly / by a member's own choice (pick because YOU like the theme; not because someone else did) and (3) well, making sure the project can be done with a minimum of conflicts. May require some outside help depending on how it turns out in size. 

With regards to the population problem, I do have a few ideas. Not sure how good/useful they are but here goes...

1. Have more events and community-based stuff

This is kinda self-explanatory. If we could come up with ways to get people more involved on the forums and sharing their cards maybe we could increase the numbers a little bit. The only thing that comes to mind RN is maybe having card creating contests both for competitive and casual. Get some of the veterans in on it as judges, and (this is the really hard part) come up with prizes. You could perhaps have a single-card bracket and a multiple/archetype bracket...Idk, I'm just spitballing here. Maybe its bad idea.

2. I've actually been thinking about starting a Yugituber channel, and thought about maybe having a segment/show on my hypothetical channel called "Custom Card Spotlight" or something to that effect where I pick an individual card, set of multiples, or entire archetype here on these forums and review it. I thought it would be a great way to shine the spotlight on this site, as well as on some of the really creative content that is produced here and is only ever seen by a few people. The channel would also be focused on the more fun/artistic side of Yugioh, eschewing metagame content for card art reviews, archetype theme analysis, and just recording my duels on Duelingbook with opponents who prefer fun over metagaming. There are several problems with this, namely that I can barely make good cards let alone review them, and also that I hate the sound of my own voice and am not too fond of my face either...

So if anyone else wants to take this idea and run with it, I'll be happy to write your scripts for you! :P

Issue with this one is that Card Contests as a whole is usually dead nowadays; both standard and 1v1. That, and the members willing to actually grade contests (taking into account the general reviewing rate in Advanced/Casual).

A Card of the Period thing for Advanced and Casual (1 for each) is probably the closest idea to this, but in the latter's case, we gotta see how the merger works out in terms of activity. Issue is that it's usually the same people posting, and well, it's not exactly fun when the same people win every time. 

(So yeah, I'm working on the announcement that Free Cards is getting the merger, but as a compromise, leave it as a sort of Workshopping area since a few of you did express interest in that. Just wait for the post in that sticky thread in Free Cards.)

===

Outside CC, more overall events could be looked into, but what can we do?

But that being said, the original DP format fell apart somewhat because of the problems judging cards for a format and taking into consideration hybrid builds (not pure)

I think I'm reasonably qualified to say that this isn't the case.

The DP format that took place over 2015 did not fail because of anything inherently flawed or wrong with the game itself. Due to various (admittedly ridiculous) personal spats, the player base was left fragmented, and leadership was reassigned. By the time the dust cleared, I was in charge, and working with VCR_CAT and Toyo, was able to more or less get things all working again. This period lasted for the latter half of the year, at which point personal issues (completely unrelated to the format) caused me to leave YCM for several weeks, without telling anyone what was going on (nobody ever asked, but that's far from an excuse). During this time, the lack of centralized control and direction caused the group to fall apart, with many moving to the then-growing 2099 format.

The second attempt, by myself, VCR, and Reaper Yuhi, similarly failed as a result of my lack of ability to put in the time and push the format forward.

Put simply, there is very little holding back the construction of a centralized Duel Portal format, beyond the inability of those in charge, myself having been a prime example.

Why don't we take the forums and PUSH them somewhere else?!

Please don't spam. Comments like this don't really contribute to the discussion (perhaps you should look at Miscellaneous which has more lax rules). Double check the site rules if you're unsure and feel free to send a mod a PM if you have any questions.

Archived