Thunder King Rai-Oh vs Denko Sekka

Both are used for different things.  They aren't super comparable against each other aside from their characteristics and the fact they are both "stun" cards.

Rai-Oh is more generally usable (because of how much searching is in the game), but it's harder to use outside of specific decks because you shut off your own plays.

Denko is much more specific (so it can be used in many more decks, but hurt much fewer decks), however it usually does significantly more damage when it is used in its optimized scenario.

All that said, Rai-Oh has more ATK and it has a useful second effect, so if you were twisting my arm and forcing me to answer one way or the other, I'd probably pick Rai-Oh every time.  The fact that Solemn Judgment is at 3 also hurts Denko's usability a bit.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:24 AM, Redro said:

Both are used for different things.  They aren't super comparable against each other aside from their characteristics and the fact they are both "stun" cards.

Rai-Oh is more generally usable (because of how much searching is in the game), but it's harder to use outside of specific decks because you shut off your own plays.

Denko is much more specific (so it can be used in many more decks, but hurt much fewer decks), however it usually does significantly more damage when it is used in its optimized scenario.

All that said, Rai-Oh has more ATK and it has a useful second effect, so if you were twisting my arm and forcing me to answer one way or the other, I'd probably pick Rai-Oh every time.  The fact that Solemn Judgment is at 3 also hurts Denko's usability a bit.

I kinda agree that Rai-Oh is more versatile, however Sekka still good for combo decks in my opinion. Still I like both and  Im testing using both togheter in a thunder family deck, since both synergize well with pahunde, mahunder and brohunder.

Run 1 of each in the main deck, siding in/out as needed imo. Overall though, denko forces an answer against any deck that's weak to it, while lacking in attack, it can be used far more effectively to counter plays.

In stun builds, raioh is an mvp though. 1900 body, prevents one of the most common methods of resource building, and can trip up a summon while he's at it (provided said summon doesn't start a chain). if you're looking to increase the ratios of one over the other, raioh is the better one to main, while denko still puts in ample enough work to sit comfortably in the side deck.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, vla1ne said:

Run 1 of each in the main deck, siding in/out as needed imo. Overall though, denko forces an answer against any deck that's weak to it, while lacking in attack, it can be used far more effectively to counter plays.

In stun builds, raioh is an mvp though. 1900 body, prevents one of the most common methods of resource building, and can trip up a summon while he's at it (provided said summon doesn't start a chain). if you're looking to increase the ratios of one over the other, raioh is the better one to main, while denko still puts in ample enough work to sit comfortably in the side deck.

I think rai-oh is used in control decks to stop combo decks and sekka is used in combo decks to stop control decks. I like both and im running the 2 in a thunder family deck.

Archived