New mechanic "transform" with an example

I Hate Snatch Steal

"Transform" is a word that can appear on a card representing an action, just like "special summon" or "discard". When you transform a card, you completely replace the old card with the new card. e.g. if you were dueling with actual cards you'd take the old card out of its sleeve and out of the duel entirely and replace it with the new card. The card stays transformed until the effect that transformed it says to "revert" it. Transforming replaces a card's name, card  type, monster type, attribute, level/rank/link rating, link arrows, ATK, DEF, and original effects with that of the new card. Effects that are already activated still resolve if a card is transformed or reverted mid chain (see example below).

Below is an example

Example Transform Card A

Normal Spell

Pay half your LP and declare 1 spell card name; except ""Example Transform Card A" set this card in your Spell & Trap Zone and if you do, transform it into the declared card. Revert it as it leaves the field, as its sent to the GY, or as it is placed into the deck.

Note the word "as" means that it will revert before it reaches the new location without starting a chain. e.g. With the above card, if you transform it into Ojamagic, you won't be able to use its effect if its sent to the GY since its no longer transformed once it gets there.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Ojamagic

If "Example Transform Card A" transforms into "Monster Reborn" for example and player A activates it and player B chains Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy Example Transform Card A before it can resolve, the effect of monster reborn was already activated and thus will still resolve.

I don't have an archetype for this yet and the above card is purely an example is and thus is not meant to be balanced.

Oh, so kinda like Kaiba's Skill on Duel Links that transforms Blue-Eyes into Alternative?  I could see something like it irl, considering.

I feel like for practicality's sake, they wouldn't make cards that transform generically since that would be... difficult to enforce in a tournament setting.  Unless they also enforce a "Transforming Deck" of a limited number of cards that your cards can change into.  Or something.  I dunno.

1 hour ago, Tinkerer said:

Oh, so kinda like Kaiba's Skill on Duel Links that transforms Blue-Eyes into Alternative?  I could see something like it irl, considering.

I feel like for practicality's sake, they wouldn't make cards that transform generically since that would be... difficult to enforce in a tournament setting.  Unless they also enforce a "Transforming Deck" of a limited number of cards that your cards can change into.  Or something.  I dunno.

Thanks for the prompt reply ( : I generally duel using fully automated simulators and this idea came from yugioh gx EP 49 along with some code for double faced cards that someone had added. Their "transform" cards were basically this: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Double-faced_card

edit: Speaking of difficult to enforce in a tournament setting: These had to have separate rulings for tournaments https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Wish

edit2: A possible name for a transform archetype that I came up with is Renkinmajutsu, which is a portmanteau of renkinjutsu (alchemy) and majutsu (magic) I'm still brainstorming the details

edit3: I guess I'll call the archetype "Alchemy Mage"

Ioqz2V9.jpg

Reveal 1 other "Alchemy-Mage" card from your hand or banish 1 from your GY, then pay 2000 LP (half your LP instead if less then 4000); declare 1 other spell card name that special summons or destroys when its activated and if you do, return this card to the hand and if you do that, transform it into the declared card but revert it as its sent to the GY. leaves the field, or placed in the deck. You can only declare each card name once per duel this way. During the End Phase, if a "Winged Kuriboh" was destroyed this turn while in your possession: you can add this card from your deck or GY to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Alchemy-Mage's Sage Stone" effect per turn and only once that turn.

XGYjKJJ.jpg

Reveal 1 other "Alchemy-Mage" card from your hand or banish 1 from your GY, then pay 2000 LP (half your LP instead if less then 4000); declare 1 other trap card name that special summons or destroys when its activated and if you do, return this card to the hand and if you do that, transform it into the declared card but revert it as its sent to the GY. leaves the field, or placed in the deck. You can only declare each card name once per duel this way. During the End Phase, if a "Kuriboh" was destroyed while in your possession this turn or activated its effect while in your possession this turn: you can add this card from your deck or GY to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Alchemy-Mage's Cunning Stone" effect per turn and only once that turn. If you control an "Alchemy-Mage" monster you can activate this card the turn it was Set.

WOIZnHW.jpg

If this card is in your hand or field: you can reveal 1 other "Alchemy-Mage" card from your hand or banish 1 from your GY, then pay 3000 LP (half your LP instead if less then 6000); declare 1 other non pendulum/ritual/fusion/synchro/xyz/link monster name that can be normal summoned and has no special summon restrictions and if you do transform this card into the declared card but revert it as its sent to the GY. leaves the field, or placed in the deck. You can only declare each card name once per duel this way.

9WSXzMZ.jpg

If you control no monsters, you can special summon this card (from your hand). If this card is summoned from the hand: you can add 1 "Alchemy-Mage" monster from your deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Alchemy-Mage Courier" once per turn. If you control no monsters: you can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 "Alchemy-Mage" card in your GY; add that target to your hand.

EAuH7bO.jpg

If this card is summoned while you have an "Alchemy-Mage" monster with different name on your side of the field or in your GY: you can set 1 "Alchemy-Mage" spell/trap card directly from your deck or GY. You can only use this effect of "Alchemy-Mage Sorceress" once per turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 of your banished "Alchemy-Mage" cards and 1 face-up monster on the field; shuffle the first target into the Deck, and if you do, banish the second target. This card cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect.

5D13OXz.jpg

If this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 Level 6 or lower monster in your GY; Special Summon that target in Defense Position, but it has its effects negated. If you would pay LP to activate an "Alchemy-Mage" card or effect, you can banish this card from your GY and gain 1500 LP instead.

n9FWbmH.jpg

Add 1 "Alchemy-Mage" monster from your Deck to your hand. After this card resolves, put it on the bottom of your Deck.

This card goes back to the deck so its not a 1 card combo with the stones and polymorph

• 4 weeks later...

Archived