spacer.png

Pontus Caelum (SPELL)

[Field Spell Card]

(This card's name is always treated as "Umi")
If your WIND Aqua, Fish and/or Sea-Serpent monster(s) is banished OR Special Summoned, while banished; place 1 Skywave Counter on this card and inflict 100 damage to your opponent for each.

WIND monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each Skywave Counter on this card.

Cannot be destroyed while you control no monsters.

It's the sea in the sky. 🙂 

I watched a video on this "almost" an archetype series that was released back in the day, which i had forgotten about, since "Leviair The Sea Dragon" is arguably the only card people remember from it. This included: AirOrca, Flyfang, Skystarray, Winged Tortoise & Speafish Soldier and some support cards for them, one of which is in my top card names list 😄 .

Reply that i put in the edit for whatever reason.

Thanks to Darj for the OCG text fix. Regarding the "Umi" i have some reasons. (there was a free row on the card box and it was a pet peeve, also i wanted something that would indicate that this field is a sea as well, it's by some extent compatible with Daedalus and Codarus, if that makes any sense).

OLD EFFECT: (This card's name is always treated as "Umi")
If your WIND Aqua, Fish or Sea-Serpent monster(s) is banished, except by this card's effects; place 1 Skywave Counter on this card for each. WIND monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each Skywave Counter on this card. During either player's turn: You can remove 3 Skywave Counters from this card; banish 1 card on the field and draw 1 card. If this card would be destroyed, you can banish 1 Aqua, Fish or Sea-Serpent monster from your GY instead.

Cool to see support for the Banifish.
Some notes:
I see little benefit in making this treated as Umi. I get the reference to "sea in the sky" but IIRC Banifish has no use for Umi, and decks that use Umi aren't WIND nor banish-happy so they would have little to no use for this as well.
Spell/Traps don't have "Quick Effects", that's exclusively a type of monster effect (e.g. Ignition Effect). You have to use the "during either player's turn" condition instead.
Protection effects like the last one are continuous, so you have to edit the punctuation marks.

(This card's name is always treated as "Umi")
If your WIND Aqua, Fish or Sea-Serpent monster(s) is banished, except by this card's effects; place 1 Skywave Counter on this card for each. WIND monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each Skywave Counter on this card. During either player's turn: You can remove 3 Skywave Counters from this card; banish 1 card on the field and draw 1 card. If this card would be destroyed, you can banish 1 Aqua, Fish or Sea-Serpent monster from your GY instead.

Anyway, looks like solid support to me. A spell speed 2 effect that Banishes 1 AND draws 1 is really potent as a +2, but it's slow and needs set-up so it should be fine. My only concern is finding ways to abuse the card somehow by banishing the monsters in multiples, Necroface and luckily banish-milling the WIND monsters come to mind, or milling + Soul Release strategies. But that would require set-up or a dedicated deck, anyway.

this is bad

the card is jam packed with positive effects, its not the effects should not be positive or have a drawback (they should), its that the card

1) is umi, something tons of aqua cards benefit from

2) counter generation that's ramps up with 200 each time, soo if this happens 3 times you get a 600 bonus..and the numbers keep growing

3) a field with an offensive banish eff??!! wtf

3.5) also you draw? huh?...also yea its a quick effect..why not

4) you banish any aqua creature from GY to protect field????!!!! really....

I mean don't you think that's enough? just cuz the bonus will get lowered does not balance it out if you wonder or anything..the card should have 1-2 max effects and 1 of them must be the protection with an even heavier cost by default....

Okay. I can understand what you mean.  Before i continue - well, this is the casual section so i did not over-concern with the cards being completely balanced. We have Ancient Fairy Dragon on the banlist for a reason - Field Spell cards are strong now. Look at SPYral Resort, Mystic Mine, Trickstar Stages, Chicken Game LOL etc. 🙂

1). There isn't that much monsters that benefit from this being an "Umi", i mentioned some, besides - this would not be the best card you would want to play if you use them.
Forgot to take into account how Mermaid Knight and Amphibious Bugroth MK-2 would totally shift the meta with this field. 

2). The counter generation is very restricted and works with a handful of cards. If banishing and generating counters was viable cards like Chaos Zone would have been really good and not just mediocre. 

3.) You need to go -3 (by banishing 3 very specific types and attribute of monsters) to get a +2 for this effect.
Considering when you activate this card - it doesn't instantly do anything, it's an inherent -1. 

4.) Fair point, maybe i got over the top with this one, a once-per turn clause or steeper cost might be called for.

Thanks for raising these concerns.   

8 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

3.) You need to go -3 (by banishing 3 very specific types and attribute of monsters) to get a +2 for this effect.

Considering when you activate this card - it doesn't instantly do anything, it's an inherent -1.

This point here. I wouldn't call it a -1, but a +0. It doesn't generate anything, but you don't lose anything either, and dead cards on the board can have use, too.

Now that Vlasaras pointed it out, +200 ATK per counter does feel like a bit too much. +100 should be just fine: not overpowering, but can stack. Most Fields provide around +500 ATK nowadays.

I got excited when I saw (This card is always treated as Umi) since I'm an enthusiast of WATER support... then I saw it's meant for WIND fishes, XD. Later, I shrugged, because I still dig the rest of the card. I'm always in for effects that somehow protect your cards, so I wouldn't remove that part, albeit maybe adding a opt clause so it's not so hard to take down might come in handy. Being treated as Umi is a pretty nice thing, despite not benefiting WATERs as usual, some stuff that comes to mind beside the mentioned cards is the always annoying Tornado Wall and the pseudo-Heavy Storm, Abyss-Strom. I agree with making the ATK increase +100, as Darj says ^_^

Ah, a sea of sky.  I really like the theme here.  I also haven't seen support for those ol' banish fish things in forever (Oh F!sh! has still gotta be one of my favorite card names ever).

All that said, I'm not really a fan of this being a quick effect on top of being non-targeting non-destruction removal, but I'm honestly pretty fine with everything else.  +200 per counter can become pretty big, but it is restricted to WIND and you still need a reliable way of getting counters on this card so it's arguable (I mean, there isn't really an effective/consistent way of stacking counters, right?).  The protection effect should probably be locked behind an HOPT in that case though.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it really helps me taking into consideration various things i might have glossed over and not thought about while making the card and it's honestly been kinda fun to brainstorm and discuss with players what can/should be improved about a card. 

I've posted a new revised effect that is less focused on removal and more about poke-(effect)-damage and synergy with banish-fishes' ability to leave your field empty and re-spawn during the following turn. Its self protection is kinda questionable, but i felt like it should go with the theme. (Lumina reminding me Tornado Wall existed and it could combo/help the hypothetical deck). 

Those are interesting changes you have made. Although I must say I like more the overall strength of the previous version of this card, I'm completely in favour of the last protective effect. Obviously, a tremendous weakness of Decks that rely on these Umi replacements is how screwed you become when its removed, and specially Tornado Wall, which is destroyed along with the Umi, so a single MST was enough to send you crying to your house. This version goes well thematically with the bani fishes. Well, it's not like your opponent can't wait until it's your turn and you summon something to screw you with backrow destruction, but at least it won't be as bad as when they do when it's the opponent's turn.

Archived