Polarity Archetype [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

I was working on the Prismirror archetype when a completely different idea jumped into my head.  I think the concept is neat, but I think I'm gonna have to redo the execution again because the card texts are novels...

The gimmick is really really simple: It's an archetype that can easily trade its scales in and out, but your cards rely on having a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone in order to make their effects live.

The cards all have the same first monster effect, but besides that, most of the cards have completely different conditions and effects.

Frison, Legend of Polarity
EARTH ****
Scale: 4<>4
Dragon/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If this card is placed in your Pendulum Zone: You can add 1 face-up "Polarity" monster from your Extra Deck to your hand.  If you control a Scale 0 "Polarity" card in your other Pendulum Zone, "Polarity" cards cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.  If you control a Scale 8 "Polarity" card in your other Pendulum Zone, "Polarity" cards cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you Pendulum Summon this card and both cards in your Pendulum Zones are "Polarity" monsters: Special Summon both monsters in your Pendulum Zones, then place this card in your Pendulum Zone.
1850/0

The Dark Polarity of Frison
DARK *
Scale: 8<>8
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If you Pendulum Summon a monster(s) and your other Scale is a Scale 4 "Polarity" card: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each monster you Pendulum Summoned.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you have a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone, this card is treated as a tuner, also, this card cannot be destroyed by battle.
750/0

The Light Polarity of Frison
LIGHT 7*
Scale: 0<>0
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If you Pendulum Summon a monster(s) and your other Scale is a Scale 4 "Polarity" card: Gain 300 LP for each monster you Pendulum Summoned.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  When you place a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone, negate the effects of 1 card on the field until the end of the Phase.
2950/0

Marove, Nemesis Plagued by Polarity
EARTH ****
Dragon/Pendulum/Effect
PE: When this card is placed in your Pendulum Zone: You can place 1 "Polarity" monster from your hand into your Extra Deck face-up; draw 2 cards.  If you place a Scale 0 "Polarity" card: You can destroy this card, and if you do, activate 1 Scale 8 "Polarity" Pendulum monster from your Deck in your Pendulum Zone.  If you place a Scale 8 "Polarity" card: You can destroy this card, and if you do, activate 1 Scale 0 "Polarity" Pendulum monster from your Deck in your Pendulum Zone.  You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn, also you cannot Special Summon monsters the turn you activate either effect except Pendulum monsters.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you Pendulum Summon this card and both cards in your Pendulum Zones are "Polarity" monsters: Special Summon both monsters in your Pendulum Zones, then place this card in your Pendulum Zone.
1000/1000

The Light Polarity of Marove
LIGHT **
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If you place a Scale 4 card in your other Pendulum Zone: Increase the ATK/DEF of all monsters you control by 300.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you have a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone, this card is treated as a tuner, also, it cannot be targeted for an attack while you control another monster.
500/500

The Dark Polarity of Marove
DARK 6*
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If you place a Scale 4 card in your other Pendulum Zone: Decrease the ATK/DEF of all monsters your opponent controls by 300.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you place a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone: You can send 1 random card from your opponent's hand to the GY.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.
2000/2000

Gash, Talebearer of Polarity
EARTH ****
Dragon/Pendulum/Effect
PE: When this card is placed in your Pendulum Zone while you control another "Polarity" card in your Pendulum Zone: You can add 1 "Polarity" monster from your Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you control a Scale 0 "Polarity" card in your other Pendulum Zone, "Polarity" cards are unaffected by your opponent's Spell effects.  If you control a Scale 8 "Polarity" card in your other Pendulum Zone, "Polarity" cards are unaffected by your opponent's Trap effects.

1500/1500

Gash's Dark Tale of Polarity
DARK 5*
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: While your other Scale is a Scale 4, you can Pendulum Summon face-up "Polarity" monsters from your Extra Deck to your Main Monster Zones.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you place a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it.
2000/1000

Gash's Light Tale of Polarity
DARK 3*
Wyrm/Pendulum/Effect
PE: While your other Scale is a Scale 4, your "Polarity" cards effects cannot be negated.

ME: (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand and target 1 Pendulum card in your Pendulum Zone (if possible); return that target to your hand (if any), then place this card in that Pendulum Zone.  You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.  If you have a Scale 4 card in your Pendulum Zone, this card is treated as a tuner, also, your opponent cannot target other cards you control for attacks.
1000/2000

Whew, if you read all that, you're the real MVP.  Thanks for looking through this set!  I'd like to think I'm going to make more things for this, but I think I wanna streamline the concept into something else first.

Anyways thanks again and as always, CnC much appreciated.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Okay, I have to say this, @Tythe Scora: After imagining this archetype in action, I ended up being all dizzy from all the bouncing n' replacing n'  moving n' substituting xD.

Before I forget, I only saw a small detail in the grammar, in the card "The Light Polarity of Frison", where it says "negate the effects of 1 card on the field until the end of the Phase." Did you mean until the end of this turn?

I'm seeing you still like to use the term "You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn." I suppose its too late for Konami to begin using it in the TCG, which I feel it's a pity, since it works very well, specially in tandem with the circled numbers and uses like, You can only use this card name’s (2) and (3) effects once per turn each. Somehow I still remember we discussed this in one of our first interactions, when you were still an evil hamburger and I an open-eyed noob xD. All of this rambling comes from a funny idea I had because of "The Dark Polarity of Marove". If I understand correctly, you used twice the mentioned term because you still want the PE to activate multiple times so you cannot globalize the HOPT. My idea was to combine both repeated OPTs into something like: "You can only use each monster effect of this card's name once per turn". What do ya think?

About the archetype in itself, well, definitely my weak point (form the 100 weak points I have xD) is Pendulums, but like I said at the start, this sounds easy to screw for the user, but high rewarding if you do things well. Evidently, what I feel this arch needs is hand presence. The more you have, the more you can keep bouncing around stuff to activate their HOPTs. I like the fact that those mons that can become Tuner have Levels 1, 2 and 3, that should lead to a lot of pretty nice plays. There's something else I like to see, and that's... Immunity effects (heh). They come from both PEs and MEs, and due to all the bouncing you'd have to be careful as to not lose those protections in case your opponent wants to play some pesky Traps. My only but would be that I don't see much draw power besides Nemesis and Talebearer, so I wonder if there is Pendulum support that can be used along with this arch. But all in all, cool work!

P.D. Did you finish the Prismirror Archetype?

O_o

I guess this archetype blew up for some reason. Thanks for the comments, peeps!

@Rayfield Lumina Thanks for the in-depth review.  As far as I know, I don't think I finished the Prismirror stuff (and I ended up factory resetting & giving that laptop to my father so I don't really remember what it was about).

I do have to say, aside from little grammar mistakes, I'm usually pretty intentional with the mechanics of how it works.  For example, Frison was intentional.  However, in editing cards (adding/removing effects), I do tend to forget stuff; This probably happened with Dark Marove.  Fixed the HOPT.

Speaking of the "this card's name" HOPT text, the TCG might actually have to adopt it/adopt something like it.  The article is an interesting read.

As for the gameplay of the archetype... All your opinions are as good as mine.  I honestly forgot how I set this up and if I meant for this to be aggro, control, stun, etc.  If I were to rework this concept, I think that would be the first thing I would need to focus on.

Archived