ITSU Archetype

Loleo

I am casually making support for the "Itsu" archetype. I am open to suggestions for balancing, better wording, and general feedback.

EDIT: Made more cards still have a lot of issues to fix. I attached the original 4 itsu monsters and a (fan made?) fusion.

Goitsu.jpg

all.jpg

DAKSo.jpg

dis.jpg

Divinitsu.jpg

fo.jpg

gustoi.jpg

Joitsu.jpg

Kosoado.jpg

Kuriboitsu.jpg

mokitsu.jpg

OIP.jpg

ojamo.jpg

po.jpg

Goodness, some of these cards are OP as hell, but well, we're at Casual xD. Let's see if I can help you a bit with the card grammar. Ah, but before that: Why does the Spell and the Trap have the same name? Anyway:

Kosoado (Field Spell)

All damage becomes 1000. Unaffected by other card effects. If your opponent controls a Field Spell, destroy this card. Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: The turn player can activate 1 of the following effects.

* Discard 1 card; Add 1 card from your Deck to your hand, but if it is an "Itsu" monster, Special Summon it instead.

* Shuffle 1 card in your hand into your Deck; add 1 card from your Deck to your hand,  but if it is an "Itsu" monster, Special Summon it instead.

Divinitsu

Fairy? / Tuner / Effect

Unaffected by other card effects. Cannot be Tributed. Cannot be used as material, except for the Summon of an "Itsu" monster. Once per turn, during the End Phase, if this is the only "Itsu" card you control: Take 1000 damage.

Kosoado ( Continuous Trap)

Special Summon 1 "Itsu" monster from your Deck, also, after that, Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Fairy/LIGHT/Level 1/ATK ?/DEF 0). (This card is NOT treated as a Trap.) If Summoned this way, this card's ATK is equal to the combined ATK and DEF of all "Itsu" monsters in your GY.

Alrighty... so, I added the Fairy typing to the monster because it's lacking it and the Trap Special Summons itself as a Fairy. You needn't have the Trap be Continuous, actually, I believe none of the existent Traps that become monsters are continuous, or at least most of them aren't.

As for the effects in themselves, live I said at the start, they're extremely OP. Of course, the 1000 damage clause would probably work against you when you consider the Trap's effect, but since the effect is generic, it would cause a lot of trouble in the IRL game. Keep in mind that "damage" includes both Effect and Battle damage, so decks that rely on small burns that can be activated many times will laugh and kill you in 8 hits. But much more OP than that are the 2 once per turn effects. To be able to add any 1 card in the game as an exchange and, in top of that, Special Summon it if it's a monster of the archetype is one of the nastiest thing I've ever heard lol. Again, even if you don't run the Itsu monsters, the basic effects are so generic every deck will run this 100% sure. Even if the opponent can do it too...

The monster seems... to be more decent. Almost an absolute immunity, except by attacks. I deleted the part that says "Cannot be targeted. If it's gonna be unaffected by other card effects, it's redundant it cannot be also be targeted (well, it's not exactly the same, you could still target this thing and do nothing)

The Trap has the potential to be absolutely obscene, but that depends on the memebers of the "Itsu" archetype. So far, there's only 1, and it has 0/0, so 0 to the Trap's ATK, but who knows what you have in mind for the other guys, please keep that into consideration.

3 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Goodness, some of these cards are OP as hell, but well, we're at Casual xD. Let's see if I can help you a bit with the card grammar. Ah, but before that: Why does the Spell and the Trap have the same name? Anyway:

Alrighty... so, I added the Fairy typing to the monster because it's lacking it and the Trap Special Summons itself as a Fairy. You needn't have the Trap be Continuous, actually, I believe none of the existent Traps that become monsters are continuous, or at least most of them aren't.

As for the effects in themselves, live I said at the start, they're extremely OP. Of course, the 1000 damage clause would probably work against you when you consider the Trap's effect, but since the effect is generic, it would cause a lot of trouble in the IRL game. Keep in mind that "damage" includes both Effect and Battle damage, so decks that rely on small burns that can be activated many times will laugh and kill you in 8 hits. But much more OP than that are the 2 once per turn effects. To be able to add any 1 card in the game as an exchange and, in top of that, Special Summon it if it's a monster of the archetype is one of the nastiest thing I've ever heard lol. Again, even if you don't run the Itsu monsters, the basic effects are so generic every deck will run this 100% sure. Even if the opponent can do it too...

The monster seems... to be more decent. Almost an absolute immunity, except by attacks. I deleted the part that says "Cannot be targeted. If it's gonna be unaffected by other card effects, it's redundant it cannot be also be targeted (well, it's not exactly the same, you could still target this thing and do nothing)

The Trap has the potential to be absolutely obscene, but that depends on the memebers of the "Itsu" archetype. So far, there's only 1, and it has 0/0, so 0 to the Trap's ATK, but who knows what you have in mind for the other guys, please keep that into consideration.

Thanks for catching the name the trap is supposed to be "goitsu".

Almost all members of the itsu archetype are going to have less than 400 attack combined; except the extra deck monsters, cards only able to be summoned in special ways and 1 monster with 1000/1000 so yes it is still OP.

I am actually trying to make a custom deck for fun use I am making a point not to add any burn cards to the deck.

With the exception of Paleozoics and phantom knights, all of the trap monsters are continuous. The reason the other 2 archetypes aren't is that they summon themselves from the GY. I don't know why though now that you mention it.

Also, funny enough, their are a lot of cards in yugioh that target but don't "affect" the card it targets for example magic cylinder and magical arm shield.

And yes everything I have made is absolutely OP. I want to make it possible for me to lose and 4 of the other itsus are garnets.

I just realized I didn't change the serial number between the spell and the monster

I am probably going to change the first effect of the field spell to All damage of less than 1000 dealt by an "itsu" card becomes 1000. all battle damage of 1000 or higher inflicted by a monster other than an itsu monster becomes 1000.

next time if you want to add new card to your post, don't post it on replies. you can edit your post to add it along with the first 3

so technically this is support for the per-existing "Itsu Fairies" Series (a bit of context there @Rayfield Lumina  its a fun series). the Itsu by themselves is a very bizarre, being Union Monster with extremely weak host but with the highest possible union boost. and its doesn't help when half of their member are actually very difficult if not a very backward in value to summon. that being said you need to specified the category into "Itsu Fairy Monster" since there's a bit of card that is not member of them but has "itsu" in its name

Kosoado: ok i understand rayfield concern, these are indeed a very OP effect. even if its easily destroyed with that (as i remember) pre - Arc-V field spell ruling that turn into effect and that OP search effect is slow acting, the rest of the effect is way too powerful and ironically betray the theme it supposedly support. the 1st effect alone enable any chain burn variant to disgustingly low investment deck. the optional search while its slow still search anything without detrimental penalty or cost

Divinitsu: i have a gist that you probably meant for this card as replacement for the weak normal monster Itsu, but ironically unlike Kosoado, this card is too weak and even don't interact with the other Itsu. sure its has double protection but the said protection prevent this card to be equipped with the Union Itsu and prevent this to gain the attack provided by it...IF its really can be equipped with it in the first place that is since Itsu suffer form early development of Unions being too specific due to fact they need to be equipped to their specific pair.

Goitsu: it suffer the same problem with divinitsu but added with slowness. sure its summon straight from deck but Itsu monster is incredibly weak to begin with so you don't want this to trigger on opponent turn unless they will OTK you and by then you wasting Itsu yoou supposed to be equipped to be the huge beat stick its intended to

Joitsu: surprisingly sensible card i guess? its not amazing and putting more achilles's heel on itsu is not really that good, but it still possible material generator 

@Dr. Jolly Glot the III I have to admit it didn't cross my mind, even though I do know those colored men riding paper planes, that this was based on them, I was concentrated on the fact that Itsu means "When?" in japanese xD.

Oh, and heck, now that I think o it, I remembered these cards. The OP most probably knows of them, but I'll leave them here in case you're interested

340?cb=20130722184147latest?cb=20170411221926300?cb=20180613144708

Hope I'm not breaking any rule, here, just wanted to illustrate ^_^

I am actually working on Extra deck cards for the itsu archetype. Including 2xyz, 1 synchro, and 2 fusions.

Divinitsu is gaining the effect to make all itsu monsters level 1.

xyz rank 1 and rank 2.

I am making a rank up card

On 7/21/2020 at 10:24 AM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Oh, and heck, now that I think o it, I remembered these cards. The OP most probably knows of them, but I'll leave them here in case you're interested

Hope I'm not breaking any rule, here, just wanted to illustrate ^_^

yeah I actually have those cards but I forgot about them. Personally I don't mind posts like this that make a point. It is still very related.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

next time if you want to add new card to your post, don't post it on replies. you can edit your post to add it along with the first 3

so technically this is support for the per-existing "Itsu Fairies" Series (a bit of context there @Rayfield Lumina  its a fun series). the Itsu by themselves is a very bizarre, being Union Monster with extremely weak host but with the highest possible union boost. and its doesn't help when half of their member are actually very difficult if not a very backward in value to summon. that being said you need to specified the category into "Itsu Fairy Monster" since there's a bit of card that is not member of them but has "itsu" in its name

Kosoado: ok i understand rayfield concern, these are indeed a very OP effect. even if its easily destroyed with that (as i remember) pre - Arc-V field spell ruling that turn into effect and that OP search effect is slow acting, the rest of the effect is way too powerful and ironically betray the theme it supposedly support. the 1st effect alone enable any chain burn variant to disgustingly low investment deck. the optional search while its slow still search anything without detrimental penalty or cost

Divinitsu: i have a gist that you probably meant for this card as replacement for the weak normal monster Itsu, but ironically unlike Kosoado, this card is too weak and even don't interact with the other Itsu. sure its has double protection but the said protection prevent this card to be equipped with the Union Itsu and prevent this to gain the attack provided by it...IF its really can be equipped with it in the first place that is since Itsu suffer form early development of Unions being too specific due to fact they need to be equipped to their specific pair.

Goitsu: it suffer the same problem with divinitsu but added with slowness. sure its summon straight from deck but Itsu monster is incredibly weak to begin with so you don't want this to trigger on opponent turn unless they will OTK you and by then you wasting Itsu you supposed to be equipped to be the huge beat stick its intended to

Joitsu: surprisingly sensible card i guess? its not amazing and putting more achilles's heel on itsu is not really that good, but it still possible material generator 

I am kind of ignoring the whole union aspect the archetype.  I am building off of something existing and spinning it in an alternative direction.

Some players only look at level, attack, and defense of monsters which is why I wanted make a deck attributing (similarly to zefra) to the decks with low average attack but amazing effects.

The extra deck monsters are going to be extra OP.

Almost every card I am making has limited status.

I actually am making an itsu deck for casual play with my friends.

I am making it a rule for myself not to use burn cards in my deck because of Kosoado. If my opponent abuses it so be it.

basically I have a lot of ideas I kind of just wanted to put out there more for the concept then the fine details.

I still am accepting balancing ideas.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

Last 2 things:

I updated like you advised.

What monsters have "itsu" in the name except the itsu fairies?

22 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

What monsters have "itsu" in the name except the itsu fairies?

Looked 'em up on EDOpro.  The other "itsu" monster in the TCG is "Legendary Jujitsu Master".  There's also "Gizmek Kuramitsuha..." but that's an OCG-only card so the name is unofficial.  The bigger offender is the Spells/Traps.  The ninja support spells/traps are "Ninjitsu Arts", so they would all fall under the "itsu" archetype name.  However, if you're gonna support just "itsu" monsters, you can probably get away with saying ""itsu" Fairy monsters".

You've got a bunch of new cards since the last time I looked at the topic, so it might take some time to review.

Hello, fine person! 

Finally got that review finished for ya!  I tried to organize things from the cards that need the biggest fixes to ones that need smaller/no fixes.  Finally, I have some general thoughts on the bottom; if you have further questions just let me know!

Without further ado, let's get right into it!

Daksoitsu
Fairy/Effect
Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 1 Normal or Union "itsu" Fairy monster.  Unaffected by card effects.  This card's ATK equals the number of "itsu" Normal or Union Fairy monsters with different names that are banished or in the GYs x 1000.
?/100

This card hits on a personal pet peeve of mine: try not to make "unaffected by everything" cards with variable ATK.  In general, I don't like the "unaffected by everything" effect because it automatically limits everything.  Adding that to a variable ATK means that once it gets over 4000 ATK, in a casual to a competitive setting it is almost impossible to get rid of it.  Once it gets to that ATK, you've already won.  I would strongly recommend giving it a weaker protection effect if you really want to keep the ATK gain (since the ATK gain fits thematically).

Kosoado
Field Spell
All damage becomes 1000.  This card is unaffected by card effects except its own.  If your opponent controls a field spell, destroy this card.  During the Standby Phase, the turn player can activate 1 of the following effects.
- Discard 1 card; add 1 card from your Deck to your hand.  If the added card is an "itsu" Fairy monster, they can Special Summon it instead.
- Shuffle 1 card from your hand into your Deck; add 1 card from your GY to your hand.  If the added card is an "itsu" Fairy monster, they can Special Summon it instead.

This card's balance is all over the place.  It's actually really difficult to say if this is broken or absolutely worthless, because it all depends on how it gets used.  Because you would normally activate it during your Main Phase, your opponent would be the first person to get a card from their Deck (and a single card can swing games), but if you could somehow activate it on your opponent's turn, you would get the search.  Damage becoming 1000 is also problematic.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the card's effects are too powerful and they are not really limited to "itsu".  There's definitely a way to break the card in some other deck, and the thought is worrisome.  A draw instead of a search, and the damage being reduced to 500 would be a nice way to weaken it.

Divinitsu
Fairy/Tuner/Effect
Unaffected by card effects.  Cannot be Tributed nor used as Material except for the Summon of "itsu" Fairy monsters.  During the End Phase, if this is the only "itsu" Fairy monster you control: Take 1000 damage.
0/0

Oddly, after seeing Daksoitsu, I was a bit worried when I saw the "Unaffected" effect again.  However, this card is probably the least powerful of all the cards.  Maybe even less useful than the original Normal monsters.  So far, it has no application and (because it is unaffected by card effects) it actually makes it next to impossible to make any interesting combos with it.  For example, you can't easily give control of it to your opponent once it's on the field.  In all honesty, I'd strongly recommend replacing the "Unaffected" effect with some kind of Special Summon effect if you want to eventually use it as Material.

From here on forward, the stuff is decently balanced with some having a few outlying effects.

Discoitsu
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, if a monster(s) would be Summoned: You can activate 1 of the following effects.
- Discard 1 "itsu" Fairy monster; negate the Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster.
- Discard 1 Normal "itsu" Fairy monster; draw 2 cards.

In a casual game, this card would probably be one of the most annoying, but on the whole it's fine.  I think the one question I had was whether it was intentionally able to work on your own monsters.  This would let you trigger "Gustoitsu", but more importantly you would be able to get 2 draws off of it relatively consistently.  Speaking of "Gustoitsu"...

Gustoitsu
Fairy/Effect
When this card is destroyed by battle: Add 1 Normal "itsu" Fairy monster from your Deck to your hand.  When this card is destroyed by a card effect: Add 1 Tuner "itsu" Fairy monster from your Deck to your hand.  (Quick Effect): You can discard this card; return any number of banished "itsu" Fairy monsters or "Gusto" monters to the Deck, then, for every 3 cards returned, draw 1 card.
100/200

Pretty much my entire complaint about this card is... why the last effect?  Iirc, neither Itsu nor Gusto care about banishing, so expecting your opponent to banish 3+ of your cards is not likely.  On the other hand, the effect is not Once per turn, so if you do have a way to banish a lot of your stuff (for example: Necroface or by using Dimensional Fissure/Macro Cosmos), you can potentially draw and trigger multiple copies.  I'd recommend reworking the last effect OR removing it entirely and focus on making the other 2 effects support both Itsu and Gusto.

Poitsu
Fairy/Effect
Cannot be destroyed by battle.  This card can attack your opponent directly.  When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: Discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand.  While you control another "itsu" Fairy monster, you take no battle damage.
200/100

This is probably the only one of the moderately balanced cards that I could see being splashed into a non-Itsu deck.  Hand destruction is a very strong effect, but since this card needs a battle phase to work and since it's not easily searchable (outside of "Kosoado/Goitsu"), it's probably not OP.  It can help secure victories and it forces the opponent to prioritize killing it, which is really strong design for the archetype.  It also works alongside the field spell.  Honestly, this card is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Goitsu
Continuous Trap
Special Summon 1 "itsu" Fairy monster from your Deck, then Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Fairy/LIGHT/Level 1/DEF 0).  This card's ATK equals the combined ATK/DEF of all "itsu" Fairy monsters in the GYs.

Joitsu
Equip Spell
Activate this card by targeting 1 banished "itsu" Fairy monster or 1 "itsu" Fairy monster in your GY; Special Summon it, also equip it with this card.  When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster.

Both of these are necessary cards for an archetype like this.  Helps you establish duos of monsters that can help protect each other.  I could see Goitsu being used alongside Poitsu in other decks, both to get Poitsu on the field and to get a free Link material.  It's really versatile.  Joitsu is a bit less versatile, but its a good card that functions well.

Foitsu
Fairy/Effect
While you control another "itsu" Fairy monster, this card cannot be destroyed by battle and you take no damage from battles involving it.
1000/1000

The card is a bit underpowered imo.  It fits the theme of united itsus, but on the whole it's pretty easy to get rid of the other itsus before attacking this.  If I were to suggest 1 buff, maybe allow it to give effect destruction or targeting protection to your other Itsus.  Oh, also the card is missing its Level.

Kuriboitsu
Fairy/Effect
During the Damage Step, when a "Kuriboh" or an "itsu" Fairy monster you control battles (Quick Effect): You can discard this card; end the turn.
0/0

A necessary effect to help keep your Itsus/Kuribohs on board.  That said, its utility is pretty limited; if you wanted to give your cards a buff, this one could use it.  Not much else to say about this one.

Mokimokitsu
Fairy/Effect
If you control an "itsu" Fairy monster: You can discard this card and target 1 Level 7 or higher monster your opponent controls; take control of it.
100/200

An extremely niche card and probably tied for the weakest with Divinitsu.  The only reason it is not up there is because this could be a really good side deck card in an appropriate format.  In an general itsu deck though?  I could not justify using it.  Like Kuriboh, you could definitely buff this in some way.

Ojamoitsu
Fairy/Effect
(This card is always treated as an "Ojama" card.)
If you control an "itsu" Fairy monster, you can Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field, but if it is destroyed: inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.  While you have an "itsu" Fairy monster in your GY, switch the ATK/DEF of all monsters on the field.
200/100

Probably the weirdest card of the bunch.  Really, I have no good idea about how this fits into an itsu deck.  Its use with Ojamas is also limited because you are forced to run itsus with your Ojamas (and Ojama already has archetype-mixing problems).  I... honestly have no idea what to make of it since I can't actually think of any practical utility for it; however, unlike Divinitsu, I know it does do... stuff.

I can't read the Fusion.  The image is too small.

Ugh... I guess I'm just getting tired huh?  Lemme leave my final/general thoughts.

General Thoughts:

I think what struck me the most was the lack of a real theme to the cards.  You have some aspects of the original cards' themes (weak cards becoming OP, cards that tag team, Normal/Union support), but then there's a lot of the mixing with other archetypes and adding in effects that don't really go anywhere (Gusto/Kuriboh/Ojama/Mokey Mokey, also supporting Itsu Tuners without any Synchros).

In moving forward, it would probably be a good idea for you to have an idea of what's the ideal end state for your archetype.  What kind of win condition do you want?  What kind of end boards do you expect to make?  It always helps me to work backwards from there.

As a final rule of thumb, it's generally not good to have one archetype do everything.  I didn't see that as a problem with this set so far, but the more cards you add, the greater its potential to fall into this.

Whew, I'm pooped.  This took much longer than I'd meant to! XD

Good luck and cheers!

• 7 months later...

Hi I left for almost a year because I got so tied up. I love the advice and I sort of hate myself for almost ignoring the original intention of the cards and I never created the extra deck. This was my first attempt at custom cards. I’ll probably make most of the suggested changes. One ruling question if temple of the mind’s eye is out how would battle damage work if my field spell’s effect to all damage becomes 500. 

Archived