[OCG] Selection 10: Sunavalon

image0-1.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Seed Genius Loci (Sunseed Genius Loci)
Level 1 EARTH Plant Normal Monster
ATK 0
DEF 600
A seed that can be harvested from the sacred tree once every thousand years. It is said to become the guardian spirit of its land after a millennium.

image1-1.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Vine Maiden (Sunvine Maiden)
Level 1 EARTH Plant Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 0
You can only use the (1) effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) When your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a Plant monster(s) you control that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck (Quick Effect): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, negate that effect.
(2) Your opponent cannot target “Sunavalon” and “Sunvine” Spells/Traps you control with card effects.

image2-1.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Seed Shadow (Sunseed Shadow)
Level 1 EARTH Plant Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 400
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) If you control a Plant Normal Monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
(2) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 of your linked Link-2 or lower “Sunavalon” or “Sunvine” monsters; you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except Plant monsters, also Special Summon 1 monster with the same name from your Extra Deck, but its effects are negated.

image3.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Seed Twin (Sunseed Twin)
Level 2 EARTH Plant Effect Monster
ATK 0
DEF 800
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) If this card is Normal or Special Summoned and you control a “Sunavalon” Link Monster: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower Plant Normal Monster in your GY; Special Summon it.
(2) You can banish this card from your GY and 1 Link Monster you control; if there are 2 or more Plant Link Monsters with the same name in your GY, Special Summon 1 of them.

image4.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Avalon Dryas (Sunavalon Dryas)
Link 1 EARTH Plant Link Effect Monster
ATK 0
Link: Bottom
Materials: 1 Level 4 or lower Plant monster
(1) If this card is Link Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone by using “Sunseed Genius Loci” as material: You can add 1 “Sunvine” Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.
(2) Cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly.
(3) Once per turn, if you take battle or effect damage: You can gain an equal amount of LP, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Sunvine” monster from your Extra Deck.

image5.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Avalon Dryades (Sunavalon Dryades)
Link 2 EARTH Plant Link Effect Monster
ATK 0
Links: Bottom Left, Bottom Right
Materials: 2 Plant monsters, including a “Sunavalon” Link Monster
(1) Cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly.
(2) Up to twice per turn, if you take battle or effect damage: You can gain an equal amount of LP, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Sunvine” monster from your Extra Deck.

image6.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Avalon Dryanome (Sunavalon Dryanome)
Link 3 EARTH Plant Link Effect Monster
ATK 0
Links: Bottom Left, Bottom, Bottom Right
Materials:  2+ Plant monsters
(1) Cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly.
(2) Up to thrice per turn, if you take battle or effect damage: You can gain an equal amount of LP, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Sunvine” monster from your Extra Deck.
(3) Once per turn, when a monster this card points to is targeted for an attack: You can negate that attack, and if you do, move the attack target to another of your Main Monster Zones.

image7.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Avalon Dryatrentiay (Sunavalon Dryatrentiay)
Link 4 EARTH Plant Link Effect Monster
ATK 0
Links: Top, Bottom Left, Bottom, Bottom Right
Links: 2+ Link Monsters
(1) If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 “Sunavalon” Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.
(2) Cannot be destroyed by your opponent’s card effects, also cannot be targeted for attacks, but does not prevent your opponent from attacking you directly.
(3) Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Link Monster this card points to; destroy cards your opponent controls, up to the Tributed monster’s Link Rating.

image8.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Vine Gardna (Sunvine Gardna)
ATK 600
Link: Top
Material: 1 Plant Normal Monster
(1) If a “Sunavalon” Link Monster(s) you control leaves the field by card effect: Destroy this card.
(2) When an attack is declared involving this card linked to a “Sunavalon” Link Monster and an opponent’s monster: You can activate this effect; halve the battle damage you take from that battle.
(3) When this card is destroyed by battle: You can activate this effect; end the Battle Phase after the end of the Damage Step.

image9.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Vine Healer (Sunvine Healer)
ATK 600
Link: Top
Materials: 1 Plant Normal Monster
(1) If a “Sunavalon” Link Monster(s) you control leaves the field by card effect: Destroy this card.
(2) If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 “Sunavalon” Link Monster on the field; gain LP equal to its Link Rating x 300.
(3) When your Plant Link Monster inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can gain 600 LP.

image0.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Vine Thrasher (Sunvine Thrasher)
ATK 800
Link: Bottom
Materials: 1 Plant Normal Monster
(2) If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 “Sunavalon” monster on the field; this card gains ATK equal to its Link Rating x 800.
(3) When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the GY: You can Special Summon that monster to your zone a Link Monster points to, but its effects are negated.

image1.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Vine Shrine (Sunvine Shrine)
Continuous Spell Card
Activate this card by sending 1 card from your hand to the GY while you control a “Sunavalon” Link Monster.
(1) You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck, except Plant monsters.
(2) Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Plant Normal Monster from your GY.
(3) Once per turn, during your opponent’s End Phase: You can send this face-up card to the GY, then target 1 Continuous Trap in your GY; Set it to your Spell & Trap Zone.

image2.jpg?resize=300%2C300&ssl=1

San Avalon Blooming (Sunavalon Bloom)
Continuous Trap Card
You can only activate 1 card with this card’s name per turn.
You can only use this card name’s (2) effect once per turn.
(1) When this card is activated, if you control a Link-4 or higher Plant Link Monster, you can negate the effects of all face-up monsters your opponent currently controls.
(2) If your Plant Link Monster battles, during damage calculation: You can make it gain ATK equal to the total ATK of all monsters it points to, until the end of this turn.

source:

https://ygorganization.com/realgrasshours/

Some context, this was the #2 deck in the anime support poll right after fossils. 

Jim Crocodile Cook/”Fossil” 27.4% - In CP20

Spector/”Sunavalon” 23.5% - In Selection 10

Yakou Tenma/”The Wicked” 16.8%

Blood Shepherd/”Drone” 11.0%

Alice/”Doll Part” 7.2%

Sergay Volkov/”Thorn Prisoner” 6.6%

Jean Claude Magnum/”Ninja” 2.8%

Crimson Demon Familiar/”Abyss” 2.3%

Jin (Fortuno)/”Shaman” 0.8%

Shuzou Hiiragi (Skip Boyle)/”Guts Master” 0.6%

Takashi Todoroki (Caswell Franscis)/Debugger 0.6%

Sid/”Wheel” 0.5%

6 hours ago, Ryusei the Morning Star said:

Some context, this was the #2 deck in the anime support poll right after fossils. 

[...]

I was already wondering if they would still release the second placed archtype, especially considering that it was somewhat close and since they did the same thing with the Structure deck poll.

The cards themselves look fine, however I would have really prefered all of the Sunavalon monsters to be intargetable, since the strategy is already slow, completely transparent and battle focused.

Sunavalon Bloom should have really been able to be used with any Sunavalon monster, also the regeneration focused ones.

At this rate (without more cards) the archtype looks fun to have, but completely unplayable (which is what I feared when I saw them on the poll [before Fossils were revealed]).

The Fossil archtype was buffed into the sky and this archtype has admittedly been buffed as well, however only in minor ways (both of the searching effects) and still lacks the ability to not get overrun immediately.

30 minutes ago, The Highlander said:

I was already wondering if they would still release the second placed archetype, especially considering that it was somewhat close and since they did the same thing with the Structure deck poll.

I think after what happened with the Structure Deck poll(s), it was merely a matter of when not if we'd get the Sunavalons tbph.

30 minutes ago, The Highlander said:

At this rate (without more cards) the archetype looks fun to have, but completely unplayable (which is what I feared when I saw them on the poll [before Fossils were revealed]).

At this stage, it's looking to be used as a supplement to other Plant strategies (like Aroma for instance) or other Plant strategies will supplement these guys.

53 minutes ago, ~British Soul~ said:

I think after what happened with the Structure Deck poll(s), it was merely a matter of when not if we'd get the Sunavalons tbph. [...]

That was my point as well.

53 minutes ago, ~British Soul~ said:

[...] At this stage, it's looking to be used as a supplement to other Plant strategies (like Aroma for instance) or other Plant strategies will supplement these guys.

Yea, but what do they offer as a package ?

>Looks at Maiden
Well, she can protect Verte Anaconda from stuff like Veiler and Imperm...

1 hour ago, The Highlander said:

That was my point as well.

Indeed.

Yeah, but what do they offer?

In the case of Aromas, the Tree Links 1-3 gain LP when you take damage so in theory there's synergy there (whether it works in practice remains to be seen), but I reckon this'll likely be another deck that'll make use of Dragoon (via a Predaplant engine) and this archetype does have a way to protect Verte Anaconda.

Yea, but what do they offer as a package ?

I guess they might make an ok payoff if we get something that has to do with self-damage?  Use self-damage to trigger the Sunavalons to link ladder.  That said, we don't actually have too many of them, so it'd have to look something like:

- Use the Normal monster to summon the Link 1

- Search the continuous spell

- Continuous spell > Discard Zephyros the Elite/Performage Trick Clown

- Use Spell to bring back Normal monster.  Use discarded monster effect to burn + summon itself.  Use burn effect to summon a Sunvine. (You now have 4 monsters)

- Make more plays...

If you use Zephyros, then you get more options because you can bounce your continuous spell into your hand so you aren't solely restricted to Plant Links.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, Tythe Scora said:

I guess they might make an ok payoff if we get something that has to do with self-damage?  Use self-damage to trigger the Sunavalons to link ladder.  That said, we don't actually have too many of them, so it'd have to look something like:

- Use the Normal monster to summon the Link 1

- Search the continuous spell

- Continuous spell > Discard Zephyros the Elite/Performage Trick Clown

- Use Spell to bring back Normal monster.  Use discarded monster effect to burn + summon itself.  Use burn effect to summon a Sunvine. (You now have 4 monsters)

- Make more plays...

If you use Zephyros, then you get more options because you can bounce your continuous spell into your hand so you aren't solely restricted to Plant Links.

That play demands quite a bit of luck to fully assemble though and Trick Clown is not exactly very helpful if you are locked into Plants due to Shrine.

My point is that they seem to lack interaction (which would be a non-issue if Sunavalon Bloom would have the Link 4+ restriction on the second effect, instead of the first), as a package do not really outshine other packages one could run instead and are dangerously reliant on Thrasher (which would again be a non-issue if they would get Sunavalon Daphne).

Maybe they will get more support I guess, which would help them to work beyond a small package or an OTK or bust centric deck, given that I would really like for them to be at least casually viable as a more control focused archetype.

5 hours ago, The Highlander said:

That play demands quite a bit of luck to fully assemble though and Trick Clown is not exactly very helpful if you are locked into Plants due to Shrine.

Yeah, I'm aware. That's about the best you can get for now though regarding self-damage.

As for trick clown, you'd have to use it to go into Predaplant Link for it to tie into the deck (locking into Plants is sub-optimal but not truly an issue under the assumption of casual play).

...I pretty much should have prefaced with that: I don't really care for these, their strategy seems really slow and vulnerable, and they'd only work in a casual setting. Any combos I name is under that base assumption unless they get something that really blows them out of the water.

Archived