[My first card with my own art] Ariel, Vanquisher of Evils

The Nyx Avatar

I don't particularly know what playstyle I was going for with this art. I thought maybe anti-Graveyard, but I've done that to death. I'll save that for a future card. So I figured anti-DARK! Haven't done that one as often. If you feel this card should be a little more fair or strong, leave a friendly suggestion.

3wm9PAI.png

Ariel, Vanquisher of Evils

LIGHT

Level 7

Warrior/ Synchro/ Effect

ATK: 2400

DEF: 1700

1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
Negate the activated effects of DARK monsters your opponent controls. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Tuner monster from your GY; banish 1 DARK monster on the field.

Wow this is crazy dangerous for Dark monsters lol. It's also a great synchro for Side-Decking. 

With PSCT help (I'm no expert, but I think I'm somewhat decent at it):

DARK monsters your opponent controls cannot activate their effects. (Quick Effect) Once per turn: You can banish 1 Tuner monster from your GY; banish 1 DARK monster on the field.

I think the proper change would be:

DARK monsters your opponent controls cannot activate their effects. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Tuner from your GY; banish 1 DARK monster on the field.

For the second part of the effect, you are not targeting any monsters, which is fine if that was the intention (to avoid effects that negate targeting effects, etc.). But if the targeting thing isn't a big deal to you, you can clean up that part of the effect by doing this: 

Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Tuner in your GY and 1 face-up DARK monster on the field; banish both targets.

Again, if the intention was to avoid targeting monsters, then you can ignore the above suggestion. 

Other than that, I like the card. The effect is pretty strong but you balanced it out with a (relatively) high level of 7 with sub-par ATK. The art is also nice! I always appreciate artists who hand-draw their arts. The art gives a lot of Von Schroeder (Zigfried and Leon) deck theme vibes. 

5 minutes ago, PrimeAceJohn said:

Wow this is crazy dangerous for Dark monsters lol. It's also a great synchro for Side-Decking. 

With PSCT help (I'm no expert, but I think I'm somewhat decent at it):

I think the proper change would be:

For the second part of the effect, you are not targeting any monsters, which is fine if that was the intention (to avoid effects that negate targeting effects, etc.). But if the targeting thing isn't a big deal to you, you can clean up that part of the effect by doing this: 

Again, if the intention was to avoid targeting monsters, then you can ignore the above suggestion. 

Other than that, I like the card. The effect is pretty strong but you balanced it out with a (relatively) high level of 7 with sub-par ATK. The art is also nice! I always appreciate artists who hand-draw their arts. The art gives a lot of Von Schroeder (Zigfried and Leon) deck theme vibes. 

Thank you! Reworded a little for the quick effect wording as you suggested. And yes, non-targeting removal was my intention, as some monsters have protection against effects that target. 

And funny enough, a Schroeder did inspire me! It was actually his little brother, though (See Prinzessin and Glass Slippers). So...yeah! Thank you once again.

Oh, John completely beat me to it, I was going to mention pretty much everything he said, then I read him saying it xD.

It's pretty hard to mention something else then, that can be helpful. The card is good, simple and straightforward, side deck material lots of Decks will fear. Despite the powerful effect, I believe a slight boost in ATK is possible. I can't stop thinkiing about Clear Wing Synchro Dragon. Its effects aren't as absolute, but they're generic, they're 3, and they don't cost. Solid 2500/2000. Not saying you got to change this card's stats to match those, put perhaps 2200 or 2300 so you can easily defeat LINK 2 monsters and the like.

The lady looks brave and cute, I like the princess/queen feeling of her. I also like how you work well with the perspective of the arms and the sword, and the Secret Rare effect looks fairly good. My overall feeling is she's WATER because of the colors, but that's just me, it's evident she should be LIGHT for flavour purposes.

3 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Oh, John completely beat me to it, I was going to mention pretty much everything he said, then I read him saying it xD.

It's pretty hard to mention something else then, that can be helpful. The card is good, simple and straightforward, side deck material lots of Decks will fear. Despite the powerful effect, I believe a slight boost in ATK is possible. I can't stop thinkiing about Clear Wing Synchro Dragon. Its effects aren't as absolute, but they're generic, they're 3, and they don't cost. Solid 2500/2000. Not saying you got to change this card's stats to match those, put perhaps 2200 or 2300 so you can easily defeat LINK 2 monsters and the like.

The lady looks brave and cute, I like the princess/queen feeling of her. I also like how you work well with the perspective of the arms and the sword, and the Secret Rare effect looks fairly good. My overall feeling is she's WATER because of the colors, but that's just me, it's evident she should be LIGHT for flavour purposes.

Thank you! Now, I didn't do the effect (that came from a template). But the art? That I did draw. I can share it in the club if you want a better look at her.

As for the ATK and DEF, I'm content with 1700 DEF. However, I don't know how much more fair she'll be by raising her ATK a little more, given her non-targeting banishment. And John's words were that the effect was pretty strong. I mean I'd be happy to raise her ATK a little, but I don't know if that would be fair, given how I want her effect to banish without targeting and a few of the funny interactions she can have.

1 minute ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Thank you! Now, I didn't do the effect (that came from a template). But the art? That I did draw. I can share it in the club if you want a better look at her.

As for the ATK and DEF, I'm content with 1700 DEF. However, I don't know how much more fair she'll be by raising her ATK a little more, given her non-targeting banishment. And John's words were that the effect was pretty strong. I mean I'd be happy to raise her ATK a little, but I don't know if that would be fair, given how I want her effect to banish without targeting and a few of the funny interactions she can have.

Hell yeah, go ahead and post it in the club, she deserves a Like on her own.

Honestly, not saying John is in the wrong, he has a fair point in saying a low ATK to balance powerful effects is good measure. But I believe powercreep is powercreep, and there are offensively powerful cards out there with nasty effects and high ATK. Remember that this card will be mostly kept in the Side Deck, and I feel that's more than enough balance. 2300 sounds plausible to me.

19 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Hell yeah, go ahead and post it in the club, she deserves a Like on her own.

Honestly, not saying John is in the wrong, he has a fair point in saying a low ATK to balance powerful effects is good measure. But I believe powercreep is powercreep, and there are offensively powerful cards out there with nasty effects and high ATK. Remember that this card will be mostly kept in the Side Deck, and I feel that's more than enough balance. 2300 sounds plausible to me.

Okay! I went with a slightly more risqué 2400 for her ATK.

nice art! i have optional suggestion

its a bit far-fetch but given the low level yet good stat, generic, and really good removal type this card as mention before can be slotted as side deck material. what i concern is this card ironically can be side-decked in DARK deck as well...and Lair of Darkness is a thing...so maybe for future-proofing make the floodgate effect affect both player stuff beside herself.

20 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

nice art! i have optional suggestion

its a bit far-fetch but given the low level yet good stat, generic, and really good removal type this card as mention before can be slotted as side deck material. what i concern is this card ironically can be side-decked in DARK deck as well...and Lair of Darkness is a thing...so maybe for future-proofing make the floodgate effect affect both player stuff beside herself.

See...that's why I was hesitant to raise her ATK. I thought with the Lair of Darkness interaction, she could sit comfortably at 2000.

I'm gonna suggest an idea that has its pros and cons. Rewording the floodgate effect to

Negate the activated effects of DARK monsters your opponent controls.

You see, both versions negate the same kind of effect, but your version doesn't even allow them to try to activate, while my suggestion does. It makes it so DARK monsters will do their effect costs but not resolve the actual effect. More importantly, if you quick synchro into her with something like Formula Synchron inresponse to an opponent activating a DARK effect, your wording won't prevent what has already activated, while my version of the effect would fizzle it.

I like the card a lot. It is a quick non target non destruction removal effect with a soft OPT clause. And lair of darkness and DNA surgery work well with it. If you wanna get wacky you can go "swords at dawn" into "scroll of bewitchment". To annoy somebody.

I appreciate the usage of tuners as cost, I think it is niche enough to balance it out.

Very cute art although the color of her aura makes her look a bit dark herself, while the strong blue tones and expression make me think "ice queen" more than light. This does not take away though, from how good that drawing turned out n_n

On 4/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, Sleepy said:

I'm gonna suggest an idea that has its pros and cons. Rewording the floodgate effect to

Negate the activated effects of DARK monsters your opponent controls.

You see, both versions negate the same kind of effect, but your version doesn't even allow them to try to activate, while my suggestion does. It makes it so DARK monsters will do their effect costs but not resolve the actual effect. More importantly, if you quick synchro into her with something like Formula Synchron inresponse to an opponent activating a DARK effect, your wording won't prevent what has already activated, while my version of the effect would fizzle it.

I like the card a lot. It is a quick non target non destruction removal effect with a soft OPT clause. And lair of darkness and DNA surgery work well with it. If you wanna get wacky you can go "swords at dawn" into "scroll of bewitchment". To annoy somebody.

I appreciate the usage of tuners as cost, I think it is niche enough to balance it out.

Very cute art although the color of her aura makes her look a bit dark herself, while the strong blue tones and expression make me think "ice queen" more than light. This does not take away though, from how good that drawing turned out n_n

I like it! I've now edited the effect for that one bit.

Archived