Casual Fusion Contest

Sleepy

Hello everybody, I haven't made a contest in like 7 years so let's see how this turns out. xD

GOAL~

The goal is to make a set of a Fusion Monster + at least 1 listed/named material.
You can add your own "poly" or make it contact
You can add more named materials or have other materials be generic
Only the bold is the absolute minimum required, the rest is optional, but please don't give me more than 5 cards total if you can help it.
Balance is tricky. Don't make an absolute chad meta defining combo. Keep it "casual" but keep it functional so don't go the other far end. We all have our own standards of this "casual" but do your best n.n

NOTES~

-I'd like to get a second judge/volunteer to help me so we can even out the opinions and avoid biases from one single jugement, but if none apply I'll still do my best here.
-There's no end date defined. We'll see how successful this is first, but I'd like to take no longer than up to the start of February if possible, because by then we'd be working on something Valentine's related.
-I'm not offering a very rigid judge system, and I won't name the bottom achievers. Only the winner or winners depending on how many people join. I'll be giving suggestions and commenary as if I was bumping into your cards at Custom Cards so we can have something positive here other than a "not good enough, next" with people stressed out. 

PRIZES~

- I can only really do 1 thing, a drawing request. If you want card art or just a request from an OC or some waifu art, I'll do my best. Though nothing NSFW please.
If you wanna look up what I can do, you can visit my art club in this forum here. or check out my DeviantArt:

Let us have fun~
74ifR8d.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

I would like to participate in the contest!

Is there any Type, Attribute, or archetype you have a preference to?

Welcome to the contest xP
Hmm if I had to name archetypes I'm very fond of. I very much like the art and also playing with Evil Twins and the Beetrooper bosses (but I don't like Battle Wasps so even though everybody plays them together, I'm not really a fan there).

Individual card art: I also very much like the designs of Rainbow Dragon, Armed Dragon LV7, Silent Magician, Marshmallon, E HERO Flame Wingman, Pikeru, and of course D.D. Crazy Beast. 

^on this last one, I was super fond of a time in the history of the game when I could run an EARTH toolbox strategy that moved along with Giant Rat and Zombina (basically a Giant Rat but for the GY) while I tagged into cookie cutter choices that were battle oriented, like Mad Sword Beast (pierce), Hyper Hammerhead (bounce), Heraldic Beast Basilisk (destroys monsters), D.D. Crazy Beast (banishes what it destroys and is my favorite card in the game), Amazoness Sage (destroys backrow), Injection Fairy Lily (beater) and stuff like that. Thanks to this I am fond of a few battle oriented themes like Dark Scorpions (which focus on battle damage rather than damage calc battling), Amazoness (only from the last wave of support they got though), and I unironically am a fan War Rocks too. 

Saying this, the best sample of a battle oriented archetype that also happens to be Fusion focused would be Gladiator Beasts.... don't take from that, I actually despise that deck xD
It just snowballs into spammy loops, while the above decks I mentioned have a little more of a grind. Closing in on slow but smart plays that 1-ups over time has been when I've most enjoyed the game, away from "unwinnable boards" or unfair gamestates that can be generated in 1 or 2 turns......

Ah, and I also (in general) like GY themes like how the early Synchro era played where you'd be pulling out your setup and making not huge but decent pushes every turn like leaving a Level 8 Synchro even as a -1, and trading with opponent plays, eventually getting extra advantage from some single-use cards that got dumped into the GY along the way like Spore or Quibolt Hedgehog and achieve that extra edge to pull you through.
Half of that era one of my MVPs was Flamvell Fire Dog that was just a decent beater that MP2 became a Synchro and a couple turns down the road made Rekindling a bigger play. Now, I know you are not a fan of these sorts of GY friendly themes so you don't need to make use of this last paragraph. I like more than 1 way of playing.

If you can avoid harsh floodgates it'd also be great. No "Last Warrior of Another Planet" or "Barrier Statue". This doesn't have to be a meta level entry so if you want to stand up to strong stuff out there, the approach of "boost yourself up enough to survive the opponent's push and have a follow up next turn" is better than "prevent the opponent from playing" as far as me is concerned. We'd have to ask a secondary judge about his/her preferences if I do get a volunteer down the road but that's mine xP

If you have any more questions or comments feel free to ask away xP

I know it was the first thing you said, but Beetroopers really need a better boss.

Omega Beetrooper Immaculate Stag (he's perfectly stunning and will be the end of you)

level 12

EARTH

Insect/Fusion/Effect

3000/3000

1 "Beetrooper Scout Buggy"+ 1+ Insect monsters with 3000 or more ATK

When this card is fusion summoned: Target a number of insect monsters with different names in your GY up to the number of materials used to summon this card -1; equip those targets to this card(was missing the actual effect lol). Unaffected by card effects while you control another insect monster with 3000 or more ATK. Insect monsters you control and in your GY gain 50 ATK for every banished insect monster. Once per turn, during each standby phase: you can target one banished insect; equip it to this card or add it to your hand. During the Main Phase If a card or effect is activated that doesn't contain "summon" in its text (quick effect): you can destroy one insect you control and banish 3 insects from your GY; negate that card or effect, and if you do banish it.

For the record that 50 ATK is anti-synergy because it screws up a lot of the 3000 ATK insects' effects.

Thinking of taking this out... already took out the standby effect. This guy is supposed to be a big, protected beater that can both protect and go for game.

Still need to do some tiding up, but I put a LOT of references in. I'll remove the green in the final update.

update:

35c59aca76f2.jpg

@Loleo Thanks for your entry. I actually now have 2 points I wanna talk about it thanks to your submission:
@The Nyx Avatar (this is to every participant so, at this moment that means you two xP )

-I don't know why this went over my head, but the notion of having your named material be an already existing card IRL like Loleo did, I'll allow it xD
I'll update the rules soon to mention it. This means there's an instance where participants can get away with drawing as little as 1 card (the Fusion Monster).

-I don't think I mentioned it but entries can be edited as much as needed... up to when I come up with an end date for this contest, in which case the deadline would become said date.

I wanna post thoughts on the entry so badly xD
but I'll wait for the actual judging stage for that.

1 hour ago, Ankh_Dev said:

I'll participate. Though I'm already making a fusion one for my custom archtype. Can I use those, or do I have to make entirly new cards?

The entries in question will be taking into account the IRL game card pool, plus additional customs within your own entry if any (which are like, a fusing effect and/or named materials). I think any more than that would complicate things a lot if somebody gave me an entry that is meant to take into account interactions with a 30 card custom archetype I'd have to go study, so I'd say no if it absolutely has to work in tandem with extra custom material out of the entry, but yes if it can be played just with the cards you can fit into your contest entry. Even if it works better with the rest of your cards, it would not be taking them into account.

For the sake of my sanity if this contest does pick up and I get like, a dozen entries that were to amount to 100 cards in bundles of their own bubble ecosystems (as in, stuff like keeping up in my mind that your customs and another entry's are not meant to interact if too many things could shuffle my brain xD ). 

38 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

The entries in question will be taking into account the IRL game card pool, plus additional customs within your own entry if any (which are like, a fusing effect and/or named materials). I think any more than that would complicate things a lot if somebody gave me an entry that is meant to take into account interactions with a 30 card custom archetype I'd have to go study, so I'd say no if it absolutely has to work in tandem with extra custom material out of the entry, but yes if it can be played just with the cards you can fit into your contest entry. Even if it works better with the rest of your cards, it would not be taking them into account.

For the sake of my sanity if this contest does pick up and I get like, a dozen entries that were to amount to 100 cards in bundles of their own bubble ecosystems (as in, stuff like keeping up in my mind that your customs and another entry's are not meant to interact if too many things could shuffle my brain xD ). 

I get what you mean. The fusion is kind of a specific fusion. Only works with some cards and ill post the best synergies. I'll keep it to 5/6 cards. Maybe even make two fusions

337075267_createcard(21).jpeg.b007845a16a37cc9b8da63b377681767.jpeg

This nasty little bugger is the special summon effect from Vontrusa. He disables the opponent by hogging their field, forcing them to tribute it in some way using monster effects, and inflict damage upon themselves as a result. I made the ATK and DEF 666 as a joke - I can easily change it to 800/800, but I thought it fit nicely for a curse.

I'd say the combo needs just one more card to ensure it plays out, involving banishment.

12 hours ago, Ankh_Dev said:

I get what you mean. The fusion is kind of a specific fusion. Only works with some cards and ill post the best synergies. I'll keep it to 5/6 cards. Maybe even make two fusions

Finally back home from a work day xD
Umm well, 2 things to note:

-The "multiple cards" thing are meant to be only pieces that directly aid in making the Fusion Monster, which is the centerpiece of the whole bundle/submission/entry..... not just general support. Though, you know what? Interesting.
e0crpvO.jpg

The allowing of this goes for all participants. And also, I implied this in my previous post but did not outright say it but: I don't have issues if your card isn't exclusive for the context, so long as it is a custom card made by you that is a Fusion Monster, and it somehow IS the center/focus of the strategy/combo/play of your entire submission.

However,  point # 2. No more than 5 cards please. I know it sounds restrictive but the goal of the contest is not to showcase an entire spreadsheet of potential in an archetype, just the to showcase the Fusion.

3 hours ago, Booloomer said:

I think I'll participate in this contest. I'll get a Fusion Monster and Fusion Material Monster under work.

Welcome to the contest and welcome to YCM as a whole xP
Umm, for future reference, try to avoid posting multiple comments in a row one after another. If you need any help with locating the Edit button or, really anything else that can come to mind, don't hesitate to ask away. 

Right now the posts have been made and so I accept the submissions. If you decide to change them up, correct stuff and whatnot, you are allowed to, so long as it doesn't happen before the end date...
ah, NOTE: 5, the number cap is 5 cards, not 6 xD

Which speaking of, I think we have a respectable amount of entries to start with~
- - - -

Attention Everybody!

Deadline to submission will be Friday 28th 0:00 (or 27th midnight, same thing) Pacific Time.
Yes, people can still keep joining, don't worry about that.

I'll be able to assimilate the entries throughout Friday and hopefully decide on a Winner by the evening. Once announced, I'll work on the prize during the weekend : 3
Good Luck and have fun everybody~

3 hours ago, Booloomer said:

368313329_createcard(19).jpeg.420ef038834812dad9c0d22e6292f978.jpeg

This guy here's the fusion monster. May be subject to change.

I'll start on the other supporting cards for the "Faze" / "Fazeling" combo.

I have to make a note here actually. 
I am trying to not give feedback on the cards because I'm the judge so too much involvement from me will feel unfair, but there's a couple things here:

-I'm sorry to inform of this but: Your Fusion Materials currently do NOT qualify. It has to have at least 1 specific/listed/named material. As in, naming 1 exact card. Any 1 "Fazeling" Monster doesn't cut it for the purpose of this contest. Don't worry though, since as I mentioned, there's still time to edit the entries~
The second material being 1 Level 4+ DARK monster is fine as is, so long as AT LEAST 1 covers the "specific name" condition, the rest can be anything.

-I do need to mention a bit of a preference of mine here:
If you can, try to stick with realistic typing and stats. The cards' playability can be casual but do need to be analized in context of interactions, and wild experiments on stats/typing can hurt that a bit.

I think it is fine if you leave the 666 stat only on the DEF, as it will probably not come up a ton, but making it both ATK and DEF will guarantee some headache when calculating damage. As for the "Archfiend" Type, I've seen that sort of thing on Rush Duels where a Fusion's Type is just gonna be "advanced/cooler version of the same type the game already had", but Rush Duel format is not really mixable with the regular game, I'd advice to use a regular typing like Fiend.

Finally my submission!

8852c6901f57.jpg

Set, Egyptian God of Evil

Level 6                          Dark

Divine-Beast/Effect

Effect:

"Anubis, Egyptian God of Death" +  1+ "Egyptian God" monsters
When this card is Special Summoned; Destroy face up cards on the field up to the number of materials used for this card that aren't "Anubis, Egyptian God of Death". And if you do; Special Summon one DARK "Egyptian God" monster from your GY in Defense position, but negate its effects. Pay 1000 lp; Banish one card on the field. You can only activate this effect of "Set, Egyptian God of Death"

ATK/3200          DEF/2800

64b0aead3da0.jpg

Anubis, Egyptian God of Death

Level 6                                       Dark

Divine-Beast/Effect

Effect:

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special summon this card (from your hand) by either Discarding one "Egyptian God" monster or by Banishing one "Egyptian God" monster from your GY. If this card is Special Summoned; Banish one card from either player's graveyard, and if you do, negate the effects of all cards with that name. Discard one card; Banish one card in you're opponen'ts graveyard, and negate it's effects.

ATK/ 2500                     DEF/ 2000

b8a4780f8a3e.jpg

Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underworld

Level 6                                                      DARK

Divine-Beast/Effect

Effect:

This card cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by discarding one "Egyptian God" monster. You can also Special Summon the card (from your hand) if a card in any GY is banished.  If this card is Special Summoned; Banish one card on the field. Discard one card; then Banish one monster on the field. You can only activate this effect of "Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underwolrd" Once per turn.

0f6265929463.jpg

Fusion of The Gods

Spell Card

Effect:

(This card is always treated as an "Egyptian God" spell)

Fusion Summon one "Egyptian God" by banishing cards in you're hand, field or GY. You cannot fusion summon until your next Standby Phase. You can only activate "Fusion of the Gods" once per turn

5cafa21b5fbc.jpg

Apophis, Embodiment of Evil

Level 12                                  Dark

<0>                                              <0>

Pendulum Effect:

If you Special Summoned this turn; You cannot pendulum Summon. If you Pendulum Summon; Banish this card face down. During your Standby Phase; Pay 2000 lp, or banish this card.

Effect:

"Set, Egyptian God of Evil" + "Anubis, Egyptian God of Death" + "Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underworld"

(This card is always treated as a "Egyptian God" monster)

Can only be fusion summoned using "Fusion of the gods". If this card is Special Summoned; Banish all cards on the field, except for this card. You cannot draw while this card is face up in a monster zone. If this card declares an attack; Banish 10 cards from the top of your deck. If this card battles an oppinent's monster; At the beginning of the damage step; banish the opponent's momster, then deal damage to your opponent equal to the difference in this card's attack and the opponent's attack or defense (your choice) During your Standby Phase; Pay 2000 lp. If this card would be sent to the GY; you can place this card in a pendulum zone.

448959467_createcard(23).jpeg.0f043373058f7350908c29cfab48ecad.jpeg

Other Stat Rework.
Whoops, sorry! Just saw the reminder to edit on one comment. I'll stick to this one for updates from now on - again, sorry!

709822036_createcard(24).jpeg.d4c9018aea8215e8e0a99aec10b291bc.jpeg

Fusion Spell f/ Combo.

693670373_createcard(28).jpeg.abd19da806ad27c8f6086a00ac8a7ea2.jpeg

And this here's the final card! Just another Dark monster; not specifically required for the Fusion, but I thought I'd make one anyway, just in case. Also has a story too lol.

OH CRAP

SORRY

HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT, SORRY

GONNA FIX ASAP THX

The original ATK and DEF are gonna stay the same from the first edition of the Vontrusa card. Sorry about that, I had the Input from Cursed Fazeling already in.

Alright, I finally found time to make the fixed version of Vontrusa. Hopefully I didn't totally screw it up this time...

1895132578_createcard(31).jpeg.7d2297d97e76387132cfc512fcf07b15.jpeg

Monster Name: Faze Vontrusa

Attribute: DARK

Level 8

Type: Fiend/Fusion/Effect

1 "Fazeling" + 1 Level 4+ Dark Monster

When this card is Fusion Summoned; Special Summon 1 "Cursed Fazeling" from your deck or hand to your opponent's side of the field, and if you do, it cannot be destroyed until the beginning (Draw Phase) of you opponent's second turn, after the activation of this effect. Monsters without the DARK Attribute lose 500 ATK while this card is on the field. This monster cannot attack the turn it is summoned.

ATK/2300

DEF/2400

It is, well... fine. 
I did not specify your card(s) have to be specifically created for this event. This was not an oversight from my end. I deliverately hoped if somebody has something in their arsenal that they are particularly proud of and think fits this contest pretty well, they shouldn't see it as off limits. 

Though not gonna lie, seeing the exact card reposted from the next newest contest the section had is not the best image.
Especially seeing issues in the text like numbers spelled out in words for example. A card that's been posted at least once in another contest that gave it judgment and probably had its own thread somewhere too.... Is this a case of the card getting no feedback or a case of the user just ignoring feedback? I'm gonna have to look that up as I hunt for what other instances of this card I can find around if there are any more than Nyx's contest...... I do know sometimes threads simply don't get any comments sadly.... whelp, gonna put on my backpack for this journey xD

EDIT:
Ok so, it was posted twice in Nyx's contest but I haven't seen much else, and the judgment said it had OCG issues but didn't really point them out.
I think it's fine. 
@The Legendary Dark Knight
I'll take the entry. Until the deadline you can still edit the entry. This includes adding support for it, editing the card, or even deciding to change your entry altogether. Just a friendly reminder.

Archived