Casual Fusion Contest

Sleepy

Same format as the above post. RED means corrections. BLUE means my thoughts/suggestions.
If I moved around stuff that's not in those colors, probably just saving space, nothing against your choice of arrangements xD

3rd Judgment entry:
@Booloomer

This is a bit hard to put together. Your cards were posted in a bunch of different individual posts and the Fusion has at least 3 different posts I recall. Not all cards have text data written under the card either....  Thanks to this I cannot do the same I've been doing in previous entries. I very much have to re-write the stuff myself and ditch trying to replicate the typos that I then have to correct.

Faze Grunt
DARK Level 4 [Fiend/Normal] 1000/1000

Faze Fusion
[Spell]

When this card is activated: You can also pay 500 LP to target 1 of your banished cards (if any). Fusion Summon a "Faze" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or your side of the field as Fusion Material. Then, if you paid LP when you activated this card, you can add the banished target to your hand.

Fazeling
DARK Level 4 [Fiend/Effect] 1000/1500

Cannot be Tributed, except for the Tribute Summon of a "Faze" monster. If this monster is Tributed and sent to the GY: You can pay 250 LP to target 1 "Cursed Fazeling" that is banished or in your GY; either shuffle the banished target into the Deck OR add the target from your GY to your hand. Also, skip your next Draw Phase.

Cursed Fazeling
DARK Level 5 [Fiend/Effect] 600/600

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by the effect of a "Faze" monster. Your opponent cannot target this card with card effects. If this card is destroyed by battle or effect: Inflict 500 damage to its controller. This effect cannot be negated.

Faze Vontrusa
DARK Level 8 [Fiend/Fusion/Effect] 2300/2400

1 "Fazeling" + 1 Level 4 or higher DARK monster
Cannot attack the turn it is Summoned. DARK monsters on the field lose 500 ATK. When this card is Fusion Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Cursed Fazeling" from your hand or Deck to your opponent's side of the field. That monster cannot be destroyed by battle or effects until the end of your next turn.

- - - - - -

Ok so, the gist of it is that you Fuse the vanilla and the regular Fazeling, the Fusion then Summons the Cursed Fazeling into the opponent's field with indestructibility for a couple turns so you can hit into it, only for it to then burn 500 when it does go off. 
Meanwhile, both Fazeling and the spell aim to recycle it.

-The concept is fine but there's some things that didn't quite work the best way.
-The Normal monster is not necessary. It is not the central Fusion Material and it doesn't have effect, stats, or anything that makes me think it needs to be used for the combo to exist.
-The Fazeling's anti-Tribute method is weird because nothing else is even able to use it. Cursed Fazeling might be a high Level monster but you made it impossible to Tribute Summon (or to  Normal Summon in general really). At the same time, the Fusion is the only method of Summoning Cursed Faze.
-Your Spell is an alright way to recover anything banished. It having to go for this specific Fusion is kind of a good enough balancing measure.
-I think none of the cards really need to have LP costs or draw phase drawbacks to work. 

If I had to recommend stuff. Cursed should have all the sturdyness without such a closed off way to be Summoned. It should probably become more of a liablity. The Normal Monster could also have been something to help search for the pieces so the Fusion can be a bit easier to drop. 

600 ATK / 0 DEF /  Level 5
Cannot be Tributed. If a monster battles this Defense Position card, inflict piercing Battle Damage to this card's controller.

^then have the Fusion being able to control its position whenever it battles or have the opponent get burned so it stacks more misfortune on the opponent's side.
Stuff like that. Remember "on-field" effects always happen from the controller's perspective. While the "and sent to the GY" happen from the owner's perspective. Those help recognize how a card that changes sides would react on what side. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Same format as the above post. RED means corrections. BLUE means my thoughts/suggestions.
If I moved around stuff that's not in those colors, probably just saving space, nothing against your choice of arrangements xD

@Ankh_Dev
I am SOOOO annoyed, this post was already a few cards in and a bit copy/paste shenanigans made the post glitch into non-existence somehow... but here goes it again xD

Set, Egyptian God of Evil
DARK Level 6 [Divine-Beast/Fusion/Effect] 3200/2800

Anubis, Egyptian God of Death" +  1+ "Egyptian God" monsters
When this card is Special Summoned: Destroy face-up cards on the field up to the number of materials used, other than "Anubis, Egyptian God of Death", and if you do, Special Summon 1 DARK "Egyptian God" monster from your GY in Defense Position, but negate its effect. Pay 1000 LP; Banish 1 card on the field. You can only activate this effect of "Set, Egyptian God of Death" once per turn.

The lack of targeting concerns me. For now without the picture in my head regarding the rest of the entry, I'll leave it at that for now. Rest is card grammar.

Anubis, Egyptian God of Death
DARK Level 6 [Divine-Beast/Effect] 2500/2000

This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special summon this card (from your hand) either by discarding 1 "Egyptian God" monster, or by banishing 1 "Egyptian God" monster from your GY. If this card is Special Summoned: Banish 1 card from either player's GY, and if you do, negate the effects of all cards with that name. Discard 1 card; banish 1 card in your opponent's GY, and negate it's effect.

You used both GY and Graveyard in the same effect. I'll just go for the newer standard.
If you are confused about this bit: The word "banished" doesn't go capitalized in Yugioh text. It does after a colon or a period, just like any other word, but more or less not anywhere else. I'll also keep changing "one" for 1 every time I see it.... xD

Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underworld
DARK Level 6 [Divine-Beast/Effect] 2700/3000

This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) when a card in your GY is banished, OR by discarding 1 "Egyptian God" monster. If this card is Special Summoned: Banish 1 card on the field. Discard 1 card; then banish 1 monster on the field. You can only activate this effect of "Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underwolrd" once per turn.

No need to separate the Summon conditions in a way that repeats the same first bit. I think fusing both in one clause is doable to make the card feel less clogged.
Hmmmm.... I need confirmation, is the lack of targeting done intentionally? This has its pros and cons but some of these sound like effects that should totally be targeting.

Fusion of The Gods
Spell Card

(This card is always treated as an "Egyptian God" Card)
Fusion Summon an "Egyptian God" monster by banishing cards in your hand, field or GY as Fusion Material. After that, you cannot Fusion Summon until your next Standby Phase. You can only activate "Fusion of the Gods" once per turn

Well as a standalone card this is pretty decent from where it can grab. Then again it has a pretty big lock/drawback.

Apophis, Embodiment of Evil
DARK Level 12 [Divine-Beast/Fusion/Pendulum/Effect] 4500/4500   Scales < 0 > / < 0 >
Pendulum Effect:

If you Special Summoned this turn: You cannot Pendulum Summon. When you Pendulum Summon: Banish this card, face-down. During your Standby Phase: Either pay 2000 LP or banish this card.
Monster Effect:
"Set, Egyptian God of Evil" + "Anubis, Egyptian God of Death" + "Osiris, Egyptian God of The Underworld"
(This card is always treated as an "Egyptian God" monster)
Can only be Fusion Summoned using "Fusion of the Gods". If this card is Special Summoned: Banish all cards on the field, except for this card. You cannot draw cards while this card is face-up in a Monster Zone. If this card declares an attack: Banish 10 cards from the top of your Deck. If this card battles an opponent's monster, at the start of the Damage Step: Banish that opponent's momster, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the difference in this card's ATK and the opponent's ATK or DEF (your choice) During your Standby Phase; Pay 2000 LP. If this card would be sent to the GY, you can place it face-up in a Pendulum Zone instead.

As a way to help me save and look at them with grammar edits included, I'm gonna post this and in a moment will edit with my overall thoughts after this sentense~

EDIT:
Overall thoughts, the Pendulum is a pretty sweet game ender. Though if it doesn't succeed, the amount of drawbacks is a bit overkill. From never drawing again, to banishing so many cards form the deck (at least it does so face-up so things can combo from this). The banishing effect that nukes the field is almost a drawback considering you'd prefer to find a way to get a low ATK monster on the opponent's field. Anything with 500 or less ATK means a 1-hit KO.
It essentially asks for 4 specific cards to make if you include the Spell. It is very close to an Exodia-like card, and I can appreciate that xD

I confess it took me up until now to stop focusing on the sheer amount of excessive drawbacks it seems to have everywhere... 

Osiris has a borderline problematic removal effect, but also one that given a specific scenario can backfire badly... non-optional and non-targeting for either side of the field means it HAS to hit itself if nothing else is around.

As far as I see, among these cards there's not much in terms of furthering setup. The combo asks to hard draw everything more or less, but once you do draw into the pieces, they are Ace-sized and have good effects so it is kinda neat.

2 Fusions sounds a bit sneaky for the event though lol xD

Thanks for the feedback.

The mechanic of the deck is a "Dragon Rulers" like gimmik where it is filled with special summoning and relies on ending with one big boss (Like Apophis). I also based this on real life mythology of Egypt because it is amazing, so the idea that anubis and osiris don't target is because they control the fate of the dead, so it is unavoidable. But I didn't intend for you to have to pay 1000lp and banish each turn. Will fix that. Also each summoning type (Fusion, Xyz, Synchro, and Link) will have only one Endgame board boss, while having a secondary middle step miniboss inbetween. Since Apophis is Evil, he will be the strongest with the biggest drawbacks, almost like punishing you for going on the evil route. Also, the deck will have searchers in the form of spells and monsters, so getting the pieces is easier than expected. The reason for the fusion spell to have that drawback, is so you can't bring out apophis in one turn that easily, since the deck searches out spells easily with it's main deck pendulum monsters, but I guess since the submission was only 5 cards, you don't know that. Fair enough. Can't wait for the results!

I believe this will be the 4th one 

@The Legendary Dark Knight

Flame Servant
FIRE Level 5 [Zombie/Fusion/Effect] 1000/2500

"Skull Servant" + "Blazing Impachi"
This card gains 1000 ATK for each "Skull Servant" in your GY. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle: Banish 1 Zombie monster from your GY instead.

Well, it is a sort of "Flame Ghost" retrain, with the ATK capabilities of "King of Skull Servants" +1000, viable with Instant Fusion.
It doesn't self-regenerate like King does as much as it just flat out doesn't die to begin with, and it is welcomed that it can banish the Zombies that are usually just support like Zombie Masters or Goblin Zombies, not eating away at Skull Servant body count in the GY.

Though not being a Level 1 or treated as a "Skull Servant hurts it a little bit. On top of the banishing effect being mandatory.
The 2500 DEF is also kinda random considering Blazing Impachi sits at 0 DEF and Skull Servant at 200. Even after the Level itself was properly a combination of both materials' Levels to this card's detriment. Zombie Master only reviving Level 4 or lower ones, and Lady of Wight only giving protection to Level 2 or lower ones.

It's not quite the full package the deck needs, and other than Instant Fusion, I thought maybe going the Hex Sealed Fusion route and just Tributing it with another monster, but then it is FIRE so it can't really go there. 

It is usable as an easy beater you can bring out with Instant Fusion and then revive with a Book of Life, which is gonna effectively gonna max out to around 22,000 ATK so I wouldn't call it bad. Just there's some little things here and there that could have given it some more synergy.

- - - - -

Leaving this text without blue coloring to help it look less like giant wall of text xD

As for the other Fusion... yeah I'm gonna add it as well considering you only had 1 card in each entry so it is easier on me xD
Not to mention I have to mention something I like that your first Fusion enables: A Light & Darkness Dragon play.
Now it is a longer effect with all text inside the card image only so I'm not gonna go through the specific wording stuff....

I just thought up something. Summon "Keeper of Dragon Magic" > Search "Fusion Deployment" and use it to Summon "Crystal Dragon" from your Deck > use Crystal Dragon to add LaDD. Just the fact the search engine becomes a bit easier to pull is worth mentioning to me, as somebody that was around during the days of "Perfect Circle" xD

Other than that, it's just a solid beater with an effect that kinda supports that. Freezes a monster, weakening it and negating it and hitting twice and harder when it does.... straightforward. It also has Dragon's Mirror to aid on the Summon.

There's a deck in there making itself up, and I kinda like that, even though my face hearing about the copy-paste from 1 contest ago  AS IS had my face like this:
jV0r81F.png

@Booloomer

I just bumped into another final version of Booloomer's Fazeling that I did not notice when posting my entry on his cards....
#$%@@&%#@! !!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

I have learned here. I'm gonna make it a rule next contest..... either empty out the posts of your previous version of the card OR just edit that one post.... Rounding up the cards was half the battle there xD

4 hours ago, Sleepy said:

3rd Judgment entry:
@Booloomer

This is a bit hard to put together. Your cards were posted in a bunch of different individual posts and the Fusion has at least 3 different posts I recall. Not all cards have text data written under the card either....  Thanks to this I cannot do the same I've been doing in previous entries. I very much have to re-write the stuff myself and ditch trying to replicate the typos that I then have to correct.

Faze Grunt
DARK Level 4 [Fiend/Normal] 1000/1000

Faze Fusion
[Spell]

When this card is activated: You can also pay 500 LP to target 1 of your banished cards (if any). Fusion Summon a "Faze" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or your side of the field as Fusion Material. Then, if you paid LP when you activated this card, you can add the banished target to your hand.

Fazeling
DARK Level 4 [Fiend/Effect] 1000/1500

Cannot be Tributed, except for the Tribute Summon of a "Faze" monster. If this monster is Tributed and sent to the GY: You can pay 250 LP to target 1 "Cursed Fazeling" that is banished or in your GY; either shuffle the banished target into the Deck OR add the target from your GY to your hand. Also, skip your next Draw Phase.

Cursed Fazeling
DARK Level 5 [Fiend/Effect] 600/600

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by the effect of a "Faze" monster. Your opponent cannot target this card with card effects. If this card is destroyed by battle or effect: Inflict 500 damage to its controller. This effect cannot be negated.

Faze Vontrusa
DARK Level 8 [Fiend/Fusion/Effect] 2300/2400

1 "Fazeling" + 1 Level 4 or higher DARK monster
Cannot attack the turn it is Summoned. DARK monsters on the field lose 500 ATK. When this card is Fusion Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Cursed Fazeling" from your hand or Deck to your opponent's side of the field. That monster cannot be destroyed by battle or effects until the end of your next turn.

- - - - - -

Ok so, the gist of it is that you Fuse the vanilla and the regular Fazeling, the Fusion then Summons the Cursed Fazeling into the opponent's field with indestructibility for a couple turns so you can hit into it, only for it to then burn 500 when it does go off. 
Meanwhile, both Fazeling and the spell aim to recycle it.

-The concept is fine but there's some things that didn't quite work the best way.
-The Normal monster is not necessary. It is not the central Fusion Material and it doesn't have effect, stats, or anything that makes me think it needs to be used for the combo to exist.
-The Fazeling's anti-Tribute method is weird because nothing else is even able to use it. Cursed Fazeling might be a high Level monster but you made it impossible to Tribute Summon (or to  Normal Summon in general really). At the same time, the Fusion is the only method of Summoning Cursed Faze.
-Your Spell is an alright way to recover anything banished. It having to go for this specific Fusion is kind of a good enough balancing measure.
-I think none of the cards really need to have LP costs or draw phase drawbacks to work. 

If I had to recommend stuff. Cursed should have all the sturdyness without such a closed off way to be Summoned. It should probably become more of a liablity. The Normal Monster could also have been something to help search for the pieces so the Fusion can be a bit easier to drop. 

600 ATK / 0 DEF /  Level 5
Cannot be Tributed. If a monster battles this Defense Position card, inflict piercing Battle Damage to this card's controller.

^then have the Fusion being able to control its position whenever it battles or have the opponent get burned so it stacks more misfortune on the opponent's side.
Stuff like that. Remember "on-field" effects always happen from the controller's perspective. While the "and sent to the GY" happen from the owner's perspective. Those help recognize how a card that changes sides would react on what side. 

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll definitely take it into consideration!

54 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

I believe this will be the 4th one 

@The Legendary Dark Knight

Flame Servant
FIRE Level 5 [Zombie/Fusion/Effect] 1000/2500

"Skull Servant" + "Blazing Impachi"
This card gains 1000 ATK for each "Skull Servant" in your GY. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle: Banish 1 Zombie monster from your GY instead.

Well, it is a sort of "Flame Ghost" retrain, with the ATK capabilities of "King of Skull Servants" +1000, viable with Instant Fusion.
It doesn't self-regenerate like King does as much as it just flat out doesn't die to begin with, and it is welcomed that it can banish the Zombies that are usually just support like Zombie Masters or Goblin Zombies, not eating away at Skull Servant body count in the GY.

Though not being a Level 1 or treated as a "Skull Servant hurts it a little bit. On top of the banishing effect being mandatory.
The 2500 DEF is also kinda random considering Blazing Impachi sits at 0 DEF and Skull Servant at 200. Even after the Level itself was properly a combination of both materials' Levels to this card's detriment. Zombie Master only reviving Level 4 or lower ones, and Lady of Wight only giving protection to Level 2 or lower ones.

It's not quite the full package the deck needs, and other than Instant Fusion, I thought maybe going the Hex Sealed Fusion route and just Tributing it with another monster, but then it is FIRE so it can't really go there. 

It is usable as an easy beater you can bring out with Instant Fusion and then revive with a Book of Life, which is gonna effectively gonna max out to around 22,000 ATK so I wouldn't call it bad. Just there's some little things here and there that could have given it some more synergy.

- - - - -

Leaving this text without blue coloring to help it look less like giant wall of text xD

As for the other Fusion... yeah I'm gonna add it as well considering you only had 1 card in each entry so it is easier on me xD
Not to mention I have to mention something I like that your first Fusion enables: A Light & Darkness Dragon play.
Now it is a longer effect with all text inside the card image only so I'm not gonna go through the specific wording stuff....

I just thought up something. Summon "Keeper of Dragon Magic" > Search "Fusion Deployment" and use it to Summon "Crystal Dragon" from your Deck > use Crystal Dragon to add LaDD. Just the fact the search engine becomes a bit easier to pull is worth mentioning to me, as somebody that was around during the days of "Perfect Circle" xD

Other than that, it's just a solid beater with an effect that kinda supports that. Freezes a monster, weakening it and negating it and hitting twice and harder when it does.... straightforward. It also has Dragon's Mirror to aid on the Summon.

There's a deck in there making itself up, and I kinda like that, even though my face hearing about the copy-paste from 1 contest ago  AS IS had my face like this:
jV0r81F.png

@Booloomer

I just bumped into another final version of Booloomer's Fazeling that I did not notice when posting my entry on his cards....
#$%@@&%#@! !!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

I have learned here. I'm gonna make it a rule next contest..... either empty out the posts of your previous version of the card OR just edit that one post.... Rounding up the cards was half the battle there xD

It's totally fine!

Ok so moving on. Next we have @tripledawn

I'll start by saying in general I haven't been commenting on the images but to all contestants: I'm not ignoring them, I just have a hard time factoring them in, from flavor-sound, self-drawns, or just simply great looking images. Sooo yeah, now let's see....

1.  W.I.Z.A.R.D. Veteran Shiori Weave [EARTH / Spellcaster / Effect / Level 4 / ATK 1500 / DEF 2000]If you would use this card you control as Fusion Material to Fusion Summon a "W.I.Z.A.R.D." Fusion Monster, you can also use 1 "W.I.Z.A.R.D." monster in your Deck as Fusion Material.

Translation note: Shiori 史織 means "history, weave"

Hmm I can't help but think there's missing pieces here. At the moment as far as the entry card limit is concerned, she's essentially effectless. The material she pulls from the Deck has to also be a W.I.Z.A.R.D. card yet she's the only Main Deck member. Well it still works out because the Fusions aren't picky about using good old Poly & company. On another note, I don't consider the grammar I've been correcting in other entries a deal-breaker for the entries themselves.... just a bit of productive feedback that helps me understand them better when re-reading them.... but I have to note: I have 0 notes on grammar for you. It seems flawless. YOU'll be judging me there xD

2. W.I.Z.A.R.D. Dragon Cavalry [Fusion / FIRE / Dragon / Effect / Level 5 / ATK 2400 / DEF 1100]
"W.I.Z.A.R.D. Veteran Shiori Weave" + 1 Dragon monster
Must be Fusion Summoned. (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "W.I.Z.A.R.D." monster in your GY; banish it, then increase the ATK/DEF of 1 monster you control by the target's ATK/DEF. If this card is destroyed or banished by an opponent's card: You can Special Summon "W.I.Z.A.R.D. Veteran Shiori Weave" from your GY, and if you do, place 1 "W.I.Z.A.R.D." Spell/Trap in your GY on top of your Deck. You can only activate each effect of "W.I.Z.A.R.D. Dragon Cavalry" once per turn.

Well I can see this goes the route of a Fusion network based on a single monster (at least inside this contest) similar to how Sky Strikers operate. It basically helps take care of those monsters that go around and a bit beyond the 4k barrier, which is a niche some decks often underestimate. Plus, Dragon is a pretty well supported Type in general so this is solid in my book.

3. W.I.Z.A.R.D. Surveillance Loadout [Fusion / WIND / Machine / Effect / Level 5 / ATK 1600 / DEF 1900]
"W.I.Z.A.R.D. Veteran Shiori Weave" + 1 Machine monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned. This card can attack directly. (Quick Effect): You can return 1 "W.I.Z.A.R.D." monster in your GY to the Deck; banish this card card until the End Phase. When a "W.I.Z.A.R.D." monster is Normal or Special Summoned: You can switch this card to Defense Position, and if you do, add 1 "W.I.Z.A.R.D." Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "W.I.Z.A.R.D. Surveillance Loadout" once per turn.

This is great in many ways. You don't need to really fuse, just Instant Fusion and banish it, and then you have a once per turn Spell/Trap search every turn. Well your entry has a total of none of those, but it almost doesn't matter what they'd be, this is a solid engine for them that reminds me of the Wind-Up Rabbit + Wind-Up Factory combo back in the day.
The direct attack effect is a side dish like how people used to go "Gagaga Cowboy" for game when the opponent had 800 or less LP. It's not the priority but it is better to have it than to not have it xD

4. W.I.Z.A.R.D. Veteran Fallout Mage [Fusion / LIGHT / Spellcaster / Effect / Level 10 / ATK 2600 / DEF 3100]
"W.I.Z.A.R.D." Veteran Shiori Weave + 1 or more "W.I.Z.A.R.D." Fusion Monsters
Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by returning the above cards from your GY or that are banished to the Deck. (You do not use "Polymerization".) If Summoned this way: You can reveal "W.I.Z.A.R.D." monsters in your Extra Deck, up to the number of Fusion Monsters returned to Summon this card, while this card remains face-up on the field. You cannot Summon monsters with the same name(s) as the revealed cards. (Quick Effect): Banish 1 revealed monster from your Extra Deck face-down; this effect becomes the effect of that monster until the end of the turn.

This last one has a few notes:
It being the Spellcaster Fusion, it would have been the one that could have used the Main Deck monster's effect on a copy of itself.... had it not required the mid-sized Fusions as material. That was so close of nicely wrapping it all together without worrying about cards outside of the submissions.
Lastly, I'm not sure I understand this effect. It sounds like it is one single long effect from "If Summoned this way" up to right before it starts the quick effect, just segmented pretty weirdly into multiple individual sentences rather than a single sequence. I tried to read it a bunch of times but I think I need to know the intention of it to really see what I'd reword here in any manner.

The way it looks like right now, If Summoned this way, you reveal W.I.Z.A.R.D monsters from the Extra up to the materials used, and then I don't know what it does with them. It says "while this card remains face-up on the field". So I'm kinda expecting that part to be a condition for an upcoming effect, yet it just stops with a solid period. If it is just meant to keep the extra deck reveals, well, revealed while this card stays there, I don't really know for what purpose it'd do so, and because reveals are momentary actions unless you clarify they'd stay revealed in a continuous manner, it really becomes a bit confusing.

After that, you cannot bring out monsters with the revealed names... That seems like its own thing and something that's 100% a downside that is not really all that worth it.
A single use of a banished Extra Deck monster in the last and quick effect... that's alright but reminds me of the Field Spell "Pseudo Space" where copying something for a turn is just normally for some OTK plans of some sort, when otherwise it is just something your strategy already had normal and more stable access to without it. I'm not super sure about this card. 

I have to recognize it is mostly because I don't seem to understand it well. The others so far have been pretty decent cards.
This theme however looks like it absolutely is begging to be given future support that it doesn't have here, and that does kinda hurt it a bit for the purposes of the entry in this contest in particular.

Again, overall if it was outside the contest parameters, these are about the most sound cards I've reviewed so far..... so not bad, just, barely functioning the way you intended them to work when completed.

Ok next up is 
@Darj

Pitch-Dark Blade Knight
DARK/Warrior/Fusion/Effect/Level 8
2700/2250
"Blade Knight" + 1 "Dark Blade" monster
Cannot be used as Fusion Material. Must first be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control and/or from your GY. (You do not use "Polymerization".) This card's name becomes "Dark Blade" while on the field or in the GY. This card gains the effects of the monsters used for its Fusion Summon. If this card is Special Summoned: You can equip, from your hand, Deck or GY, 1 appropriate Dragon Union monster that lists "Dark Blade" in its text. Unaffected by your opponent's card effects while you have 1 or less cards in your hand. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can send 1 card from your hand or field to the GY, then target 1 other card on the field and 1 face-up monster you control; equip face-up the first target to the second target as an Equip Spell that gives the equipped monster 400 ATK.

This is a pretty crazy card you go there. I haven't gotten to your second card at the moment but it full on comes like ABC Dragon with potntially all GY materials, a quick pseudo-removal effect (equipping effect that can be to self), potential immunity to effects in general, and the Union it gets from the Deck can immediately use its own effect to self-unequip.

If it didn't have that first clause it could fuel another copy of itself from the name alone, it is probably the thing that keeps it from really being overboard. The Union search effect makes this card able to turn into a Link 2 from thin air if the previous interactions weren't enough, so yeah, this is pretty much a boss material and honestly.... I've got nothing. No fixes to spot, no suggestions to improve upon it. It is strong but those ancient Union Monsters being run is kind of a drawback of itself. Dark Blade being an Unexpected Dai and Fusion Deployment target on its own also makes this boss fairly easy to bring out... 

Radiant Blade Knight
LIGHT/Warrior/Effect/Level 4
1600/1000
This card's name becomes "Blade Knight" while one the field or in the GY. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If Summoned this way, this card gains 800 ATK. If you control no other monsters, monsters in your opponent's GY cannot activate their effects. If you have 1 or less cards in your hand (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; Place it in one of your Spell & Trap Zones as an Equip Spell with this effect.
- The equipped monster gains 400 ATK.
You can only use this effect of "Radiant Blade Knight" once per turn.

Ridiculously easy 2400 ATK self Special Summon that floodgates the GY if you have no other monsters. This is pretty powerful. That ATK boost is just a weird flex. Are you trying to compete with Pankratops in a casual level contest? xD
This might push the play over the edge as it provides an actually super effective Dark Blade retrain, and that was the weak chain link in your bundle here. 
Since your last effect makes the target an equip card, I imagine you mean something like the FINAL Spells where they don't "activate" but still go face-up... in which case your "set" would be "place". It makes me doubt a bit if you DID mean it to be face-down because you are not designating equip targets here, but it is weird to just go "this is now face-down for whenever I want it to go off, but trust me it is now a brand new card, no resetting from being face-down due to rules or anything weird like that nope". It is strangely experimental. 

Oddly enough both the effect that requires a barren hand and the one that requires a mostly empty field don't seem very easy to mesh together, that almost sounds balanced but then I remember I'm just talking about the material, not the Fusion that is still upcoming xD 
Let's make Pankratops a fusion material for a +2 monster, is a pretty big play here.
I cannot deside if the entry tips over into "too good for the contest level" or not, but I'll think it over haha....

@The Nyx Avatar Is I believe my last single review.

Romhild, Phantom of the Battlefield
EARTH  Level 4  Warrior/Effect  ATK:1000  DEF:1000
If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY, then target 1 Warrior monster you control; it gains 1000 ATK/DEF until the end of this turn. If your opponent activates a Spell, Trap, or Monster card or effect during either player's Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can discard this card. Negate the activation, and if you do, banish that card. You can only use 1 "Romhild, Phantom of the Battlefield" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

You very much did your homework there. This is pretty amazing support for 3 archetypes whose themes I run and own IRL: Dark Scorpions, Amazoness, and War Rocks. It overcomes battle disruption or it closes ATK gaps.
Perhaps it is a little overbalanced that unlike other Honest-like effects, this doesn't have a self-bouncing clause that allows it to be recycled better, and that it carries a hard OPT clause locking it into a single of the options. It'd be still a discard per use, making it fair probably, but in spirit of its Self Summon clause and the versatility of its nature, I can say I also sorta get where this choice is coming from.

Warqueen Romhild
EARTH  Level 8  Warrior/Fusion/Effect  ATK:2800  DEF:2000 
"Romhild, Phantom of the Battlefield"+ 1 Warrior monster
Cannot be used as Fusion Material. Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from either field to the GY. (You do not use "Polymerization".) Warrior monsters you control are unaffected by your opponent's card effects during the Battle Phase.  Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects.
● Target 1 Warrior monster you control; it can attack your opponent directly this turn. If it does, any Battle Damage your opponent takes from it is halved.
● If this attacking card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to either the ATK or DEF (whichever is higher) of the destroyed monster.

This has a choice I'm a huge fan of: I was wondering at first why the material would ever wanna be Summoned when it shines most at hand, thinking it was only an emergency measure to get into the juicy Rank 4 pool if one bricked, but this card is a pretty good case as to why. It does the battle phase protection on steroids, has a pretty huge body for something that can use 1 opponent material from one of the broadest pools of monsters in the entire game, makes all Warriors essentially Utopia the Lightning and helps trigger any battle damage effects or "after damage calc" effects. 

With all these benefits I'd say it having a whooping 2800 ATK size and having that last burn effect that improved Flame Wingman's. This all has it moved up a tier. You can absorb Destroy Phoenix Enforcer here for crying out loud, and that's before it starts doing its thing. Type changing effects like DNA can probably finally enjoy some consistency as unlike Fortress Dragon, this card offers a lot more than just a beater at the end. 

It is interesting, and the art is gorgeous as expected of Nyx, but you and Darj have like, the strongest monsters here. I didn't have to seriously think about the metagame interactions with any other entry, and that's a compliment for your guys' skills, yet a bit of a detriment for the parameters of this contest. 

Thanks for the review, I had a feeling not adding the cards I was wishy-washy about was gonna come back to bite.

Doesn't really matter, but the d in deck is lower-case when not differentiating between the Main Deck and Extra Deck.

I'm not... exactly... surprised you had an issue parsing Fallout Mage, I made a call to word the way I did and that was probably a laps in judgement that I'll pay attention if I revisit the card or a similar effect.

When Fallout Mage is summoned, you reveal the extra deck cards and keep them revealed for as long as that copy remains on the field. She could go away two chains later, or 7 turns later. That might seem anti-synergistic with Surveillance, but she also gets the plus 1 effect... and also can banish a card revealed by another copy of herself, so there's that.

All in all mad respect to @Sleepy for all the work they do, and kudos to all my fellow contestants. Great work guys! 😁 

Just now, tripledawn said:

Thanks for the review, I had a feeling not adding the cards I was wishy-washy about was gonna come back to bite.

Doesn't really matter, but the d in deck is lower-case when not differentiating between the Main Deck and Extra Deck.

I'm not... exactly... surprised you had an issue parsing Fallout Mage, I made a call to word the way I did and that was probably a laps in judgement that I'll pay attention if I revisit the card or a similar effect.

When Fallout Mage is summoned, you reveal the extra deck cards and keep them revealed for as long as that copy remains on the field. She could go away two chains later, or 7 turns later. That might seem anti-synergistic with Surveillance, but she also gets the plus 1 effect... and also can banish a card revealed by another copy of herself, so there's that.

All in all mad respect to @Sleepy for all the work they do, and kudos to all my fellow contestants. Great work guys! 😁 

I'm gonna have to reafirm I don't recall Deck being lowercase in actual card texts even if it doesn't specify what kind of Deck it is (Main/Extra). Here's the latest version of Stratos putting it capitalized:
https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Elemental_HERO_Stratos
Exceptions might exist, I just don't recall them if there are any. Not gonna be very adamant about my take because I've been proven wrong before on stuff I was 100% sure about, but yeah I got some confidence here regardless xD

I am currently having a hard time picking the winner(s) because, well, I liked the entries I got more than I expected I would xD
A bunch of pros and cons everywhere.... I'll be taking your explanation about the intention of your boss's effect into account, thanks for explaining it.

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

Ok next up is 
@Darj

Pitch-Dark Blade Knight
DARK/Warrior/Fusion/Effect/Level 8
2700/2250
"Blade Knight" + 1 "Dark Blade" monster
Cannot be used as Fusion Material. Must first be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards you control and/or from your GY. (You do not use "Polymerization".) This card's name becomes "Dark Blade" while on the field or in the GY. This card gains the effects of the monsters used for its Fusion Summon. If this card is Special Summoned: You can equip, from your hand, Deck or GY, 1 appropriate Dragon Union monster that lists "Dark Blade" in its text. Unaffected by your opponent's card effects while you have 1 or less cards in your hand. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can send 1 card from your hand or field to the GY, then target 1 other card on the field and 1 face-up monster you control; equip face-up the first target to the second target as an Equip Spell that gives the equipped monster 400 ATK.

This is a pretty crazy card you go there. I haven't gotten to your second card at the moment but it full on comes like ABC Dragon with potntially all GY materials, a quick pseudo-removal effect (equipping effect that can be to self), potential immunity to effects in general, and the Union it gets from the Deck can immediately use its own effect to self-unequip.

If it didn't have that first clause it could fuel another copy of itself from the name alone, it is probably the thing that keeps it from really being overboard. The Union search effect makes this card able to turn into a Link 2 from thin air if the previous interactions weren't enough, so yeah, this is pretty much a boss material and honestly.... I've got nothing. No fixes to spot, no suggestions to improve upon it. It is strong but those ancient Union Monsters being run is kind of a drawback of itself. Dark Blade being an Unexpected Dai and Fusion Deployment target on its own also makes this boss fairly easy to bring out... 

Radiant Blade Knight
LIGHT/Warrior/Effect/Level 4
1600/1000
This card's name becomes "Blade Knight" while one the field or in the GY. If your opponent has more cards in their hand than you do, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If Summoned this way, this card gains 800 ATK. If you control no other monsters, monsters in your opponent's GY cannot activate their effects. If you have 1 or less cards in your hand (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; Place it in one of your Spell & Trap Zones as an Equip Spell with this effect.
- The equipped monster gains 400 ATK.
You can only use this effect of "Radiant Blade Knight" once per turn.

Ridiculously easy 2400 ATK self Special Summon that floodgates the GY if you have no other monsters. This is pretty powerful. That ATK boost is just a weird flex. Are you trying to compete with Pankratops in a casual level contest? xD
This might push the play over the edge as it provides an actually super effective Dark Blade retrain, and that was the weak chain link in your bundle here. 
Since your last effect makes the target an equip card, I imagine you mean something like the FINAL Spells where they don't "activate" but still go face-up... in which case your "set" would be "place". It makes me doubt a bit if you DID mean it to be face-down because you are not designating equip targets here, but it is weird to just go "this is now face-down for whenever I want it to go off, but trust me it is now a brand new card, no resetting from being face-down due to rules or anything weird like that nope". It is strangely experimental. 

Oddly enough both the effect that requires a barren hand and the one that requires a mostly empty field don't seem very easy to mesh together, that almost sounds balanced but then I remember I'm just talking about the material, not the Fusion that is still upcoming xD 
Let's make Pankratops a fusion material for a +2 monster, is a pretty big play here.
I cannot deside if the entry tips over into "too good for the contest level" or not, but I'll think it over haha....

You found me out xD

I did felt like competing with Prankatops or at least complementing it since this retrain works at disadvantage with the hands while Prank works at disadvantage with the field. But I didn't really need a retrain for Blade Knight, it's just for the flex, to stick closer to the original requirements of the constest, have extra copies of Blade Knight in the game, and to offer the Fusion other effects to gain from the Blade Knight side. I still think regular Blade Knight has value due to the ATK gain effect it can copy.

The Summon and lock effect are indeed intended to not mesh together, that way it cannot apply all of its effects easily, or fully works when you are truly at card disadvantage (so no tricks like getting the rest of your hand on board, then dropping this, unless of course you had something like 4+ Spell/Traps and this).

To clarify, it is indeed an experimental effect that Sets the targeted card and gives it a new card type and effect entirely. I understand that by card mechanics face-down cards are "resetted" but I believe in the "card text can overules card mechanics" philosophy and went for something a bit out of the box. Think of how Artifacts and the Silver Sentinels can be Set as Spells. Also this is to make to card live even without monsters, for the cases this card is the only monster remaining on board. Besides, the Equip can be used on a monster summoned later, so in that way it's a team player that supports its allies.

Ok sooooo... This hasn't been easy at all. I went from expecting to do the grading on Friday and the prizes over the weekend, to this point mid Sunday morning still trying to decide who edges out. After sleeping in on it.... twice xD
I think I have my choice now.

1st Place I give thee @Darj
Your card is a pretty fun boss that needs some old school Unions that didn't have enough love in the past, and has enough measures of balance in my book. You came in last minute to steal it dammit xD
You get 1 drawing request from me. Colored/Inked~

2st Place I give thee @The Nyx Avatar
Awesome art included, strategies that hit home for some of my favorite underdog strategies, but really overall super solid boss for Warriors in general. It did go a bit over level for me due to its forced opponent contact Fusion effect in combination with how good the rest of everything else. If Utopia the Lightning shared its stun effect with all Warriors and used an opponent material to make it... that'd be a nightmare xD but the card still has a lot of other merits.
The prize is 1 drawing request from me. Inked but no color~

3rd Place I give thee @Loleo
Like a thousand needles falling from the sky.... you got 1000 nitpickes from me in the grammar xD
However, your card was one of my favorites. It seriously almost won, if the boost effect didn't have 50s in it didn't go against the wishes of the other Beetrooper bosses  while easily enabling other members to become that 3k+ material for duplicates right off the bat, it would have been perfect! It cut it super close, congrats. 
The prize is 1 drawing request from me, but it'd stay in pencil form. 

The rest of the entries were also pretty good in their own right. Awesome work everyone and thank you so much for participating, and I hope to see you all the next time~

On 1/29/2022 at 2:41 AM, Sleepy said:

This post is just for the feedback~
Any corrections from me are gonna be in RED.
If it doesn't have red, it might look different for the sake of space from my part but I don't count it as a correction of any sort.
I'll use BLUE for my own notes to keep things tidy as well.

@Loleo

Omega Beetrooper Immaculate Stag
EARTH Level 12 [Insect/Fusion/Effect] 3000/3000

1 "Beetrooper Scout Buggy"+ 1+ Insect monsters with 3000 or more ATK
When this card is Fusion Summoned: Target a number of Insect monsters with different names in your GY, up to the number of materials used to Summon this card -1; equip that target(s) to this card. Unaffected by card effects while you control another Insect monster with 3000 or more ATK. Insect monsters you control and in your GY gain 50 ATK for each banished Insect monster. Once per turn, during each Standby Phase: You can target 1 banished Insect; equip it to this card or add it to your hand. During the Main Phase, if a card or effect is activated that doesn't contain "Summon" in its text (quick effect): You can destroy 1 Insect monster you control and banish 3 Insect monsters from your GY; negate that card or effect, and if you do, banish it.

A year in and capitalization is still my weakness.

I absolutely love the fact we'd finally have an Insect Fusion with some decent materials. No breaking your back with 4 monsters. Instead a self-duplicating Scout Buggy + Neptunes in hand. It is also pretty strong overall but I do think there's a few places lacking a bit:

-The first effect says "equip those targets" in the resolution, which means interrupting 1 of them ruins the effect for all targets. If it instead said "equip those cards" or if we follow my red correction "equip that card(s)", you could always equip the remaining ones that don't get D.D. Crow'd. It's a small thing since most of the time this card will only use enough materials to produce a single equip, but should it ever go further beyond with 3+ materials, it should be rewarded for the effort IMO.

Semi-intentional. I thought the interruption was fair considering the big effect isn't OPT and more ammo getting interrupted was fine.

-The effect that makes it fully unaffected should probably have a clause of while you control another Insect monster with 3000 or more ATK, other than "Omega Beetrooper Immaculate Stag". It is not incredibly difficult to put out, and it is fairly possible to assemble 2 copies onto the field that'd fulfill each other's immunity. It has potential to be an issue in my opinion.

I didn't consider this, thanks.

-Finally, the 50 ATK boost. As I believe you had already pointed out at some point: It has negative synnergy with the other bosses from the archetype: Atlas loses its own immunity, and Hercules has less monsters it can potentially revive. It is a boost that works in its favor as a single card, making it easier to fulfill its own immunity, but at the cost of the other allied bosses form the theme.... also, I'm not a huge fan of 50s in the stats so it'd probably grind my gears a bit on that regard xD
It does have the upside it makes it easier to produce more Fusion Summons of copies of itself, which it might not have been an intended synergy... it'd still do all the benefits if it just targeted a single bug for the boost for 1 turn at a time, without disrupting the other bosses.

All of that was intended including the annoyingness of the 50s. It's fair it didn't meet your preferences.

The last effect I like. Summon related, MP reliant, and with a heavy banish cost that Beetroopers can pay but not much else can. Sounds interesting.
All in all, this concept very much goes up my alley despite my commentary. The contest is starting strong xP

I was considering doing only summon effects or only the opposite. Glad you liked it! (PS blue went away somehow halfway through?)

30 minutes ago, Loleo said:

IDK why the blue went away xD
Didn't deduct any contestant chances of winning by cause of grammar issues, I just added them to be productive/helpful and not just write an execusioner's note haha.....

Same with the 50s, not my thing as I still calculate LP putting 8080 the calculator and 50s throw my game off, especially when halved. Yet I know it is not a big deal, it's more of a random commentary than part of the judging if that makes sense xD

I'll take advantage of this chance to yet again remind you that you have your prize of having me draw something of your choice in pencil so it feels nice to keep pushing for it xD

Btw, holy crap so many notifications from likes, Thank You xD

Archived