Do people have the right to suicide?

Prince Poison

I think everyone is done with this disscussion because people should have a right to take their own lives witout being bothered. Not everyone can get a second chance at life (reincarnation). Peoplesould be given the chance to see what wnet wrong in their life when they try to take their own, some do and dont commit suicide then try to make their lives better but if that doesnt work they completely commit suicide.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince of Death' date=' What gives you the right to say there isn't an afterlife? Other then that, I agree with you.

[/quote']

In his defense you do realize the afterlife cannot be prove yet, and neither can the next life. All we have are beliefs, and it any case we still try to live as long as possible

thankyou for explaining for me. but i dont really care about how long i live. I know when i will die, and i never got my answer from a fake nor a real psychic that can tell you when you die. i got my answer from my self, well actually from my spirit.

I never believed in the fortuneteller nonsense. They can't really predict the future at all, especially the time of your death (well, unless they have a hidden gun under their jacket or something, THEN they can say your time of death is in a few seconds).

We all choose our own paths, not for someone else to dictate it for us

The fact that you're choosing your own path doesn't really effect, nor counter-act, Determinism. For Determinism is; to be put blatantly; 'all events are the result of events prior to them'. The fact you're in control of all events prior still renders the end result as Determinism. Independent thinking, or 'choosing your own path' is only something that's done in response to such events, not the cause of them.

Basically, Determinism is all about occurrence; whilst choosing your own path is all about reaction.

Other than that, you can obviously disagree with Ragnarok in the sense that nearly every decision we make is the result of external influence. I highly doubt someone does something without factoring in other possibilities, subliminally or not. Also, this isn't a Monarchy, we still have basic Freedoms, resulting in our own independent thought, WITHOUT dictation.

As such, Suicide is the result of Determinism, as it's contemplated, and acted out, based upon past events.

However, the action, the result, the independent thinking that makes someone actually commit the act of suicide, isn't Determinism. Your reaction to an event such as suicide is all independently thought out.

Basically, you can stop someone's right to have the opportunity to commit suicide, but you can't stop their right to their own individual choice in the matter. Independence is a part of Freedom, America's social stronghold, be the result negative or not.

actually there are the type of people who take action without thinking even the slightest bit, although you can argue that's because whatever emotion going through their heads has clouded their judgment and therefore still counts as external influence on them.

Some suicides are based on very short events, although most are based on long chronological events (some take many years before they finally form)

You can only change a guy's way of thinking, you can't make him not think at all

actually there are the type of people who take action without thinking even the slightest bit' date=' although you can argue that's because whatever emotion going through their heads has clouded their judgment and therefore still counts as external influence on them.

Other than that, you can obviously disagree with Ragnarok in the sense that nearly every decision we make is the result of external influence. I highly doubt someone does something without factoring in other possibilities, subliminally or not.

My response in a nut-shell. It's part of human nature to think on a larger scale than their own. To be put simply.

Some suicides are based on very short events, although most are based on long chronological events (some take many years before they finally form)

You can only change a guy's way of thinking, you can't make him not think at all

... I'm pretty sure you just agreed with me with the rest of it.. So, uhh, why the post?

Either way, the bold is still pretty much win in this topic. =D.

The man under sentence of death is freer than the man who takes his own life. The Suicide is a coward' date=' he is one that abandons the struggle with fate; the Condemned man, however has the chance to rise above the society which has condemned him and by his courage and intellectual liberation to nullify it. The egotism of suicides with their farewells and resentments is sometimes grotesque, the dignity of a brave man on the Scaffold never. In his words, the precise opposite of the suicide is the man who is condemned to death... The God-like disponibility of the condemned man before whom the prison gates open one day just before dawn, his incredible disinterestedness about everything except the pure flame of life, here I am quite sure that Death and Absurdity are principles which generate the only rational Liberty- that which a human being can experience with body and soul.

[/quote']

People should not have the right to suicide.

In fact' date=' each time you commit suicide, you have to either spend 2 years in jail or pay a fine of 500,000 dollars.

[/quote']

and how are you supposed to pay the fine if you're dead?

Presicely. How can you control suicide? You can't go to jail, you can't pay a fine. If someone commits suicide, it's over. There really is no consequence we can lay on people. We can't stop suicide, short of locking people in cages. So, whether we like it or not, people have the right to suicide. We can't change that.

Although it's true you can't be punished for suicide, you can be punished for phailing at it/attempted suicide.

But I don't think it's right for people to commit suicide, since it would suck for anyone who liked 'em, and you have no idea what happens after you commit suicide since we know nothing about what happens at death, so it could suck for you even more than the sucking life that made you commit suicide..

I prefer to just fight my troubles and keep livin'.

So if I fall of a building and I break both of my legs' date=' and arm, and a dozen ribs, and don't quite succeed at dying, I should be hauled of to jail? Seems a little cruel.

[/quote']

of course not, you'd just be sent to the hospital, though you'd probably have to pay the medical bill

Well, of course you'd be asked to pay the medical bill. You will have to pay the medical bill. The hospital won't do it for free!

Archived