• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes he did!

And here’s another competition hopeful!

February 7th, 2008 [bONUS!]

newlotus.jpg

Surprise Attack Lotus [~Organization_XIII~]

So the first thing you notice about this card is that it’s a 5 star monster, but with only 800 ATK? What’s up with that?

Well, when you see a high level monster with low stats, you know it’s gotta have a sick effect to make up for that low ATK stat… So, if you read the first sentence, you learn that this card likes to gamble! Maybe that has something to do with the Surprise Attack in its name… Hmmm…

So you toss a coin, and then this card gets some effect? That’s pretty cool I guess…

Let’s take a look at its “Heads” effect.

It doubles the attack power of this card each time someone activates a spell. Unfortunately for crazy people, it’s original ATK. Nice touch Org… Otherwise people would be playing spells left and right, jacking up this card to infinity!

Unfortunately, its max ATK by that effect can only be 1600… Which kinda sucks…

Maybe Org shoulda made it 900 ATK base… But that’s okay. I’m sure the Tails effect has something else in store for us…

Nope; if tails… The opponent gets to jack up his/her life points to the sky!

Hmm… So let’s take a look at this card.

First off, it’s underpowered. WAYYY underpowered. The original version was level 4, with 1100 ATK points. That means, that if you flip heads, it could get up to 2200 ATK!

So I told Org to take the ATK down a couple hundred… But when he did that, he jacked up the level! Now what’s bad about this?

First off, it gives you only one way of summoning it; special summoning it with Shining Angel’s effect. Because who wants to tribute summon a monster that can only get up to 1600 ATK?

What he should have done was keep it level 4; that gives you a normal summon too, so now there’s more abusability, but lower the ATK… 1600 max, 1700, 1800 all work. But lowering it to 800 with 5 stars is not just underpowered, it’s unplayable!

Then, there’s the errata…

“gains”, not “gets” when talking about stat increases/effect bonuses.

“based on the result”, not “equal to the result”…

Other than that, it’s all good :]

So basically, this card would be unlimited due to lack of playability.

[align=center]Art – 8.9/10 [Great artwork! It totally works!]

Name – 8.4/10 [That’s a cool name. A bit bland-ish, but cool. And it totally works with the effect!]

Effect – 8.6/10 [Nice effect, a bit unique, and definitely staple-able, in the right body…]

Balance of Level:Stats:Effect – 5.2/10 [HORRIBLY underpowered…]

Overall – 7.775/10 [31.1/40]

Grade - C+

Verdict – Unfortunately, the underpowering of this card just kills it…

It’s quite sad actually, as such a staple effect got owned because of too much underpowering…

ORG: You can make another card and enter it TOMORROW.[/align]

Mmkay

I've decided I'm giving out easy Bs...

So here's how it's gonna go down.

First off, dark vega... If you're not gonna make 'em, don't spam on my thread. Thanks :]

And Org: Thanks ;)

And finally, here's my new grading system, with WEIGHT.

Grade: Weight:

Artwork 20%

Name 15%

Effect 35%

Balance 30%

Which means that if you get 10s on name, effect, and balance, you automatically get in ;)

For those of you that want to know how this will be done...

Lessay these are your stats:

7.9/10

8.4/10

3.2/10

6.4/10

Normally that would result in a:

6.475/10 [25.9/40]

But now, that would be:

7.9/10 = 79% = .79

8.4/10 = 84% = .84

3.2/10 = 32% = .32

6.4/10 = 64% = .64

Then...

.79 * 20 = 15.8

.84 * 15 = 12.6

.32 * 35 = 11.2

.64 * 30 = 19.2

And then....

15.8 + 12.6 + 11.2 + 19.2 = 48.8/100 = 4.88/10 = F

Just a little 3rd grade math for ya ;)

So that's my new grading system, and that's how I will be grading the rest of the cards I ever grade.

So make 'em godly.

As soon as I get another post in here, I'll begin a review.

Well, I believe that Dj is next... But I'm not sure. If I'm wrong, please tell me and I'll apologize.

February 9th, 2008

10yl27t.jpg

Lukai, the Tao Blitzer [~Dj-Osiris~]

Basically, this card is one of Dj's Dual/Duo monsters. Allow me to explain. A Dual/Duo monster is a monster card, but while it's in your hand, you can make it a spell card! It's pretty neat that you can have a card be two things at once, huh?

So basically, you can use it as a monster, and at 1700 ATK, this card is nothing to sneeze at. But then, if you want to use its Spell Card effects, kill a monster and return it to your hand. Basically, now you can use this card as a monster AND a spell at the same time. Very cool if you ask me, and quite useful. Talk about getting the most out of your card ;)

So now, we get to the Spell Card.

Basically, you pay 500 Life Points to activate one of two effects.

You can kill a face-up trap card, which is quite useful for cards that own you like Gravity Bind. There are only a handful of cards that stay face-up as traps, and so that part of the effect is pretty balanced. There's really only GBind and maybe your opponent runs Solemn Wishes or the like...

Then, the other effect is adding a Dual monster to your hand. Pretty useful when you want a different spell. And it's a +0, so there's no brokenness in that. Very very good balance and effect.

So essentially, this card is pretty useful. We'll have to wait and see what other Dual monsters Dj brings to the table, but for now, this card has excellent potential.

Oh, and did I mention the lack of any OCG errors other than "reveal" = "show"?

Because of its ability to be two types of cards at once, this card would be limited.

[align=center]Art – 8.3/10 [Looks cool, and a nice touch with the holo’ing part!]

Name – 9.1/10 [For some reason, I really really like this name!]

Effect – 8.7/10 [Pretty cool effect, and the Duality of the card is neat too :)]

Balance of Level:Stats:Effect – 9.8/10 [Excellent balance overall of the card, and once again, the duality is awe-inspiring ;)]

.83 * 20 = 16.6

.91 * 15 = 13.65

.87 * 35 = 30.45

.98 * 30 = 29.4

Overall – 9.01/10

Grade – A-

Verdict – Congratulations Dj! The first card graded on the new review system scored an A!

It is a pretty darn good card, and the duality is just so original and useful![/align]

Archived