The Official YCM Created Card of the Day Reviews

JerryFreelance

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a looooooooooong period of down time, the reviews are finally back up!

The next reviews will not be personal selections though...

They will be part of my new contest, which can be found HERE. If you're a great card maker, join up now. This competition is definitely for you.

February 5th, 2008

DimensionalGuardian-Tyaro.jpg

Dimensional Guardian - Tyaro [~Star*Trainer~]

"Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can add 1 Spell Card that has been removed from play to your hand. If there are 3 or more face-up monsters on your side of the field, you cannot activate Spell or Trap Cards. When this card is destroyed by a card effect, you can remove 2 Spell Cards in your Graveyard from play to add this card to your hand."

Not a huge deal with OCG/Errata/Grammar, but a couple tiny errors.

Now, as I was editing the effect [i had never looked at it before], I noticed that if you have 3 monsters, you can't activate spells or traps... When a card maker does that, he/she is saying "brace yourself for the amazingness of my effect". And amazingness I found.

The effect is pretty cool. It's essentially a recycling bin. We all love to recycle, don't we? I know I don't xD...

So basically, when this card gets Saku'd, just remove 2 spell cards in your graveyard from play... And this comes back. Next, you waste a summon on this and get spell cards back. So you recycle the world. Then, you use them again.

Unfortunately, from there, this card is broken.

A cost needs to be added... Something like... "Discard a card from your hand to add a spell card to your hand" or "The spell card cannot be used the turn this card's effect is activated"

Or something.

But since I know the card will be edited, I will not call it broken. Instead, I will grade it as if the cost was there. I know Star, he'll argue it for sure.

This card would for sure be limited... Great recycling :]

[align=center]Art – 7.8/10 [Yeah... Don't like it all too much... Kinda reminds me of Derek_Whaley xP... Nothing against you though ;)]

Name – 8.8/10 [rofl Tyaro. Most of you won't understand that... But Tyaro puts it over the top.]

Effect – 9.4/10 [With the cost, the card is a beastly recycler. How awesome is that?!]

Balance of Level:Stats:Effect – 8.4/10 [Would be better if the ATK was a bit lower, but I do love my level 4s ^_^ Pretty good balance]

Overall – 8.6/10 [34.4/40]

Grade - B

Verdict – You made it Star :]

Great recyclability makes this card great. You're lucky I graded on the balance scale. I'm NOT doing two reviews of the same card xD[/align]

Here's the next entry in the ownage club that still needs a name! xD

February 6th, 2008

roboreaperwu1.jpg

Roboreaper [~Deity Mitsu~]

Finally the majestic skill of Deity Mitsu has returned. One of the greatest card makers has graced my competition with his beautiful card.

Re-introductions aside, the card he brought to the table is quite unique. First off, it's an 1800 4* attacker, and I think we all know how I feel about those types of cards ;)

But that aside, the special ability.

Now, when Roboreaper kills something... It becomes even bigger! It gains a level star. But at the same time loses ATK. Now, this may seem like a bad thing, but when it comes to Ritual monsters, there's not a better card to have for tributing! By the time this puppy gets to Level 8, it's ATK will most definitely be low, but it's a low attacking Level 8 monster that can be killed for Demise! Of course, if you're running Demise, you can just get rid of the Manju and Sonic Bird you used to get his stuff to your hand, but if you're not, just chuck this puppy into your deck, and you're golden!

Now you may be thinking, "but bhim, its ATK goes down all the time! How will you ever get it to level 8?!" Guess what bub... It's a machine too. Not only can you jack it up with some equips and field spells, you've also got Limiter Removal on your side! Jack the ATK of this baby the heck up! Then, you've of course got your Megamorph too. So basically, use these awesome cards to jack up its ATK, attack, do something, and then bust out your Demise!

Basically, this card's got a lot going for it... And with a card creator like Deity, you're probably not gonna go wrong. It can fit into a lot of different decks; just beware of System Down when you're playing this card.

Finally, errata...

"When this card destroys a monster by battle, increase the Level of this card by 1 and decrease ATK of this card by 100. When this card is destroyed, inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to the Level of this monster x 100."

Just a couple changes; mostly new vs. old errata issues...

This card would be unlimited, as the effect is a bit underpowered...

[align=center]Art – 8.1/10 [it's kinda like it's jumping out of the fire... Kind of ironic considering FIRE owns STEEL in Pokemon... But w/e]

Name – 7.4/10 [Mehh... Could be a lot better IMO]

Effect – 8.6/10 [Minus the errata issues and the fact that it'll probably be dead quickly, the damage dealt should probably be upped to about 150 or 200... But quite unique]

Balance of Level:Stats:Effect – 9.3/10 [The decreasing ATK with upper level is quite a nice touch... Great balance overall.]

Overall – 8.35/10 [33.4/40]

Grade - B

Verdict - Ahhhhhh... Just missed it Deity... Make another one and I'll grade it. It was just a very small part that got you down... I guess this means another grading period, but it's worth it to assemble the best team of card makers.

Overall a nice card though, that can combo very well and with many great cards.[/align]

Why yes Yankee... Yes it was...

Dang it you caught me xD

No it wasn't but a good way to get some? lol

Plus, it forces me to do reviews agian, which is always nice xD

So here's the next one!

February 7th, 2008

2004554440995677783_rs.jpg

Phineas, the Phoenix Being [~arpeejajo~]

Since he posted the effect, we can start with errata:

"When your opponent has 6 cards in his/her hand, you can discard this card from your hand to the Graveyard. Then, your opponent randomly discards 1 card from his/her hand. When this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon it to your side of the field in face-up Attack Position. If this card is in your Graveyard, you can pay 2500 Life Points to Special Summon it to your side of the field. If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect, destroy all cards on the field except this card. This card cannot declare an attack during the turn it was Special Summoned."

I know it looks like a lot of errors, but most of it is just personal preference really...

Now then... The card!

First off, it's Level 7, which means that it sucks to normal summon it... Maybe that's why arpeejajo decided to make it a Special Summonable card!

On top of that, it has 2650 ATK, so if it's in your grave and you want to Sp. Summon it, you just pay 2500 Life Points, and now if your opponent has a clear field, it was worth it already.

Now, evaluating the effect from the very start.

First off, your opponent has to have six cards in his/her hand, which means that it's never gonna get its effect unless your opponent passed his/her entire first turn of the game...

So unfortunately, that kinda sucks. 5 would be infinitely more reasonable, and 4 would probably be okay as well, although maybe cutting it close. So basically, you have 6 cards on the first turn, your opponent has 6 cards on the first turn... You ditched this card [but not really], and now you both have 5 card hands!

But since we already said that's almost impossible, look at the next effect. Now this is where the abusability begins...

This card gives a reason to play Lightning Vortex. Use this for Vortex's effect, and you're in an owning situation right there. That's a reason to limit both cards right there. But not only that, Phineas gives so many cards out there a chance. There are a lot of cards with great effects that aren't used because you have to discard something. But with this card, you get ready to bring down the ownhammer on so many decks. You could probably build a whole deck based on this card.

Now, the upside/downside [your call] to all of this is that it's a discard, and thus a cost. Otherwise, it could totally be used in Dark World decks. Now, the reason this could be a downside is because maybe your deck has huge holes that can be exploited by DW. But since this card is a cost, you're safe... For now ;)

So basically, you hope it doesn't die... Right?

So let's say you're battling away, and all of a sudden you draw a Lightning Vortex. Play it and send Phineas to the field. Next turn you've probably got a clear shot! But wait! Your opponent Saku/Mirror Force/Widespread RUINS you. Well, now what? You just got screwed!

Think of it this way. Your opponent just lost a key card, AND a huge chunk of life points, a net loss of +150 to be exact. How? Simple. Phineas' other effect. Kill 2500 of your own life points to bring it to the field again. Now you have a huge attacking beast at the cost of only 2500 LP, and you just "ownzord" your opponent!

From here, the abusability makes this card a favorite by many duelists already. It's lookin' pretty nice, probably limited...

But then...

It...

Does...

What...

No...

Card...

Should...

Ever...

Do...

It just HAS to go and kill everything...

That makes this card broken. Think about it. With so many ways to get it out, then you kill the field. And for what?! *sigh*

It looks like this card won't be making it after all...

BUT WAIT! THERE'S ONE MORE SENTENCE?

Can it do it?

What?!

It can't attack the turn it's special summoned?

Apparently, Phineas is a very kind man-god. He is so nice, he'll let his opponent set some defenses before he brings the thrashing.

That part just makes it perfect.

Look at it like this. Phineas can't work in a monarch deck. How great is that? Want me to explain?

Once you special summon him, you can't tribute him for Zaborg or Raiza, so you better have Thestalos or someone else if you want a 2400 life point buffer zone... That alone makes this card too much for a monarch deck. That, and the fact that you have to have like, 8+ tributes for a monarch deck to run well... That means that a 2 tribute monster isn't gonna fit well there, unless you're all about dead draws...

But nevertheless, there are still so many decks you can make, and you could probably make it its own deck!

The sheer magnificent beauty of this card puts it at the portion of the list we like to call limited. The great balance is still overruled by the amazing abusability there is with this card...

[align=center]Art – 8.6/10 [That's some pretty cool art, and it works!]

Name – 8.4/10 [Reminds me of some show my sister keeps yelling about... Phineas and Pherb or something... I think it's a Disney show... But nevertheless, it's still kinda neat]

Effect – 9.6/10 [so... Many... Possibilities...]

Balance of Level:Stats:Effect – 9.3/10 [Very nicely done, and everything comes full-circle VERY well.]

Overall – 8.975/10 [35.9/40]

Grade - B+

Verdict - Ohhh! JUST missed it arpeejajo!!! SOOOOO close to an A!!!!!

One of the GREATEST cards I have seen. This card is super duper fantastic! So many abilities and new openings and rebirths for some cards... I love it so much :][/align]

Archived