"God did not create the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Catterjune

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay why dont you give me reasons why creationism isnt true? Because through this entire debate you have given everything but that.

I'd send you to find my thoughts on it, but we all know you would make another dead end response so I'll condense my general thoughts.

Evolution at its core is undeniable. I'm not going to paste that big response I gave you already in regards to this. And evolution accounts for everything up to the moment of first life. Now, there are a variety of theories that speculate on how this happened, and whether it be from the climate or a meteor/alien poop many of the speculations have some sense within them. The problem with Intelligent Design in this regard, is that first life wasn't intelligent at all. And then there's the greater problem that someone with the powers to create life has somehow remained absent from it ever sense.

You can never truly confirm or disprove anything. But, in order to progress as a society, we have and we must continue to make logical conclusions based off of observations in real life that we can then prove in a variety of studies and examinations. Creationism is neither a logical conclusion or one that can be studied/proven. Condoning something like that is, in the long run, a detrimental act for us all.

butwhat if our progression went to far and we end up destroying something this world needs to survive. You do realize once Evolution becomes the biggest belief in the world it will end up just like christianity... A bunch of people will come up with different ideas based on what they feel is right about evolution which will prodice sects which will only result in the same violence and hatred as christianity has done in the past.

You can't progress too far when it comes to something like this. Belief in religion(or rather, some allowing some concepts associated with it to dominate your lifestyle) was not progression, but regression. By embracing technology we open up many more opportunities to conserve our planet, help people, and eliminate the differences which divide us. I'm sorry, but the line "what if we progress do far and destroy something" is a really silly thing to say.

Evolution can't become like Christianity because it uses what evidence points to as being right whereas religion leans to whatever it feels the right thing is. There is no room for opinions, at least not when it comes to the big message. Those who actually understand evolution are in the same boat when it comes to what they believe in.

And the ramifications of logic spreading shouldn't matter. It's logic. We should be teaching logic for the sake of teaching what's correct. No harm -should- come from that.

well say for example a scientist discovered something he feels should be added to the theory of evolution but another one says it shouldnt eventually these two theories keep going and going and going because no matter how much evidence they gather they still cant come up with the truth. however this is just an example, say for instance a evolutionist inquisition starts those who believe in evolution do not believe in an afterlife therefore their ideas in death would be different which would could result in more bloodshed even though this is highly unlikely (like 2/10 chance) then again thats survival of the fittest for ya.

ADHD, that's what I said. Quit being stupid.

well say for example a scientist discovered something he feels should be added to the theory of evolution but another one says it shouldnt eventually these two theories keep going and going and going because no matter how much evidence they gather they still cant come up with the truth.

That doesn't happen. In science you're achieving a material goal. If there is a disagreement it is either extremely trivial and or doesn't last for long.

however this is just an example, say for instance a evolutionist inquisition starts those who believe in evolution do not believe in an afterlife therefore their ideas in death would be different which would could result in more bloodshed even though this is highly unlikely (like 2/10 chance) then again thats survival of the fittest for ya.

But evolutionists won't do that. Using fear and violence to spread an idea is a tactic for religion. Logic, as I said before, works on its own. And believing in evolution isn't a religion, many Christians and theists in general believe in it. The chances of something like that happening is astronomically low. You seem to be missing that a world guided by reason won't end up doing such stupid things.

And if that's an example of survival of the fittest it's an extremely deluded one.

Have you ever considered that religious people may actually live out a particular lifestyle because they want to, not because they think they have to?

AronRa pointed out one of the most fascinating points about modern religions. People occasionally change their religion. "For the last twenty years I've believed that the Buddha was an enlightened being who remained on the material plane to show the way to enlightenment and escape Samsara, but now I believe that an ever-present God spoke to the distant ancestors of a certain ethnic group, promising them a certain geographical landmass."

Education is the cure for ignorance. Willful ignorance has no cure. Thus the sheep are separated from the goats.

well say for example a scientist discovered something he feels should be added to the theory of evolution but another one says it shouldnt eventually these two theories keep going and going and going because no matter how much evidence they gather they still cant come up with the truth. however this is just an example, say for instance a evolutionist inquisition starts those who believe in evolution do not believe in an afterlife therefore their ideas in death would be different which would could result in more bloodshed even though this is highly unlikely (like 2/10 chance) then again thats survival of the fittest for ya.

Read this:

well say for example a scientist discovered something he feels should be added to Sliding Filament Theory but another one says it shouldnt eventually these two theories keep going and going and going because no matter how much evidence they gather they still cant come up with the truth. however this is just an example, say for instance a Sliding Filament inquisition starts those who believe in Sliding Filament Theory do not believe in an afterlife therefore their ideas in death would be different which would could result in more bloodshed even though this is highly unlikely (like 2/10 chance) then again thats survival of the fittest for ya.

Rumor has it there has been dissent about scientific theories before. For example, one day this one Jew pointed out that Newtonian physics is a load of crap. We had to wait for a solar eclipse to see if he was right or not.

*DISCLAIMER: Newtonian physics is wrong, but it is infinitely simpler and the factor of error can be discarded for most practical applications.

Prove creationism is false.

No.

It is not up to anyone to prove the opposition wrong, only to prove that they are right. Science is not a debate, last-one-left-standing. It's a search for truth. If Theories X and Y attempt to explain something, and Theory X accounts for two-thirds of it, and Theory Y accounts for half of it, Theory X isn't right. They're both wrong. So, it is up to you, or anyone else, to supply positive evidence for Creationism.

Obviously this does not include the Bible, though I think I can at least be safe in assuming you don't jump to that particular book for all your answers.

EDIT: Natural selection is environmental pressure affecting reproduction of organisms with particular traits. Right now, the only significant traits that determine reproduction rates among humans (excluding massive accidents and deformities) are physical attractiveness and monies. Money is not a physical trait, so the only thing we can say is that it might be possible that the human race is gradually becoming sexier.

Ooh, I had a shitton of laughs. I would like to cordially extend thanks to ADHD, random troll, Vuvuzela, and Cakey for putting on such a stunning show. It really showed the idiocy of society and how religion (and its followers, or at least those seen in this play) is slowly dying and actual science is slowly being more accepted. But now that the play is over, can we please stop acting? I'd love an actually intelligent debate.

...owait

Unfortunately for ADHD he still cannot grasp that most atheists and agnostics dislike radicals and not every religious person in sight, which would be like 90% of the population. And unfortunately he cannot grasp the simple policy that one cannot be hated if one does not interfere in another's life. If a religious person came up to me and started preaching, I'd be a tad annoyed, but I'd just shut the door and I might call the cops (rapists, y'know). If a religious person came to the Board of Education in my district and we started learning creationism, I'd feel like my rights have been infringed upon. Tell all your religious folk to keep their beliefs to themselves and disputes will stop. Let actual science take its own course, and let it not be interfered by whatever bullshit religious theories you'd like to propose.

Ha-rumph.

say for instance a evolutionist inquisition

This idea is so unspeakably retarded that I think I may safely say without the slightest lack of confidence that, at least among people with IQ's greater than those of glasses of water, nobody expects the evolutionist inquisition. Their chief weapon is mutation. And natural selection. Mutation and natural selection. Natural selection and mutation. Their two chief weapons are natural selection and mutation.

@Dark: Since society is slowly becoming less religious the play would be a general compliment to at least some facets of society.

And you guys are just gonna' start him up again. But if that's what you want then :S.

The play took more of a past-future role, wherein you depicted (or rather, ADHD and the troll depicted) a society where morons roam free, and eventually the debate inside of the play moved towards a more intellectual standpoint once you and Dr. Cakey entered in Act II.

The play is complimenting future society, really.

*Sigh* You really don't want to actually have a rational discussion do you?

Unfortunately for ADHD he still cannot grasp that most atheists and agnostics dislike radicals and not every religious person in sight, which would be like 90% of the population. And unfortunately he cannot grasp the simple policy that one cannot be hated if one does not interfere in another's life. If a religious person came up to me and started preaching, I'd be a tad annoyed, but I'd just shut the door and I might call the cops (rapists, y'know). If a religious person came to the Board of Education in my district and we started learning creationism, I'd feel like my rights have been infringed upon.

You must not be part of "most atheists." I have not posted a single thing about religion or creationism themselves, have never preached to anyone, and yet you've been at my throat for wanting everyone to be able to have their own beliefs without having other ideas forced on to them.

Archived