"God did not create the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Catterjune

Guest PikaPerson01
"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he writes in the excerpt.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper [fuse] and set the universe going," he writes.

But also...

"The 'god' that Stephen Hawking is trying to debunk is not the creator God of the Abrahamic faiths who really is the ultimate explanation for why there is something rather than nothing," said Denis Alexander.

"Hawking's god is a god-of-the-gaps used to plug present gaps in our scientific knowledge."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/02/hawking.god.universe/index.html?hpt=C1

inb4religiousflamewar

inb4tccan'tinb4

So can both sides just agree to an armistice for this topic? Hawking says due to the laws of gravity it's entirely possible for something to form from nothing, but does not go on to say that it is impossible for the laws of gravity to have been created by an intelligent creator, or higher being, or anything else and not necessarily the Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Ancient Greek, Norse God.

So... go ahead you brilliant 12 year olds. Prove you know better then one of the most famous theoretical quantum physicists in his own field.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe in God (religious ones), but the idea of a "creator" has passed trough my mind lots of times.

Then I ask myself, does this creator have a conscience or is it just an unknown force?

Those are my exact feelings. You made my heart miss a beat when I read that, so accurate on my point of view, well done indeed.

Guest JoshIcy

Personally I agree with the whole "God created the laws of the universe and let it create itself" thing.

If that's the case then "God" has always been a Metaphor and that even in the Bible, Jesus' actions were more of a public display of sincere compassion to show that we can all forgive regardless. And well... People went overboard with it over the years.

If that's the case then "God" has always been a Metaphor and that even in the Bible, Jesus' actions were more of a public display of sincere compassion to show that we can all forgive regardless. And well... People went overboard with it over the years.

Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. And I am in no way implying you imposed there was something wrong with it.

God.....is the creator. He is the alpha, and the omega. He gave everything a beginning and an end. When the end approaches, a new beginning occurs. This is the cycle that has been going on since Time began. In a way, everything that happened was due to the beginning and ending.

I wish I could live to the day we really find the answer to our existence, and when it turns out to be neither, I will ask one question: "Now, who created this creator?". I will then watch the same dispute continue.

This is all a matter of opinion, really it is, can you or hawkings or anyone for or against either side, give hard evidence that what they say is correct?

Nope, not a chance in hell. Yet we still think what we say is the dead truth.

You remember that question about which comes first, the egg or the chicken? This situation is that same question, just with different words.

Guest PikaPerson01

I believe this belongs in Debates more than in General, but PikaPerson, if you prefer this stays in the main section, let me know.

Err... what is there to debate exactly? <_<

I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking did in fact say the above (or at the very least, due to his paralysis, typed it out)

Though considering it's probably a flamewar in the works, it's probably better to just keep this away from the hellhole that is general.

The community's opinion on what he said? I believe that potentially constitutes a debate, whether people agree with those statements or not... Like I said, you decide on this one.

Isn't there a "Universal God" Thread?

It's sad that it's had to come down to that, but still.

That's true.

I've been told to believe it when I was younger.

But now that I'm older, I can choose for myself.

Even though it sound crazy, I believe it.

It's just my personal opinion :P

Say hi to Kent Hovind for me.

The number of gods that can be disproven with some scientific knowledge and common sense is amazing.

Now, I'm open to the possibility to the theory of a "Creator" God, but not a one that demands that I stop committing "sins" and worship him.

Cause if I did, I would choose Theistic Satanism instead of Buddhism.

But there MIGHT be, I'm not saying there's not, but there MIGHT be a chance, probably 50% chance of a creator god.

We don't completely know how the universe was created, so we have to have multiple theories.

Considering that the universe came from nothing, has the nothing been always been there?

Or was it somehow placed or made there or whatever the correct term or phrase is.

Archived