Why not vanillas?

KcChiefsFan

Question

I was just wondering why people care so much if you make a 'vanilla' card. Not all cards used are effect monsters, and a lot of people just want to duel for fun and make cards that they like. I just don't get the point of downgrading a card because it doesn't have an effect. The point isn't to make the strongest card, right? I don't know. Just wanted to hear your guys' thoughts.

[quote name='KcChiefsFan' timestamp='1315624871' post='5503727']
You're saying you could make the most popular cards of all time? Please go ahead. Under my impression, nobody in the world could create a card that had so much of an effect on the world of Yu-Gi-Oh! ever again. If you honestly think those cards aren't creative/good ideas, then fine. But we disagree with a fiery passion my friend. Lol thanks for your posts.
[/quote]
That's NOT what she was saying. What she was saying is that, if Dark Magician and Blue Eyes had never been made or shown in the first season of the anime, then released them and their support in Photon Shockwave (this being the first time they would have ever been seen), she would see them as lazy for making them.

I am actually amking a realistic set with magic set editor and Vannilas matter because in a elemental hero deck a lot of vannilas have good support and fusion and In my upcoming set a couple will support and be supported and if you have vannila people look at them alone and say Meh. but if you want to bring it out in a set use other cards then people will think Wow this card is really usefull in strategy and Vannilas could be helpful in other sets.

Harpie Lady cards would probably get some good reviews, although you'd probably still have to make some Spell/Trap support since they Harpies are a pretty underpowered archtype anyway.

It's not that Vanilla's are bad, just that there's nothing really to rate on ordinary Vanilla's. Blue Eyes and Dark Magician were made when the game was 90% Vanilla monsters. Times have changed, and Effect monsters are more prominent now. Heck, even Vanillas have support in the form of Effect monsters. (see rescue rabbit)

[quote name='No. 34 Terror-Byte' timestamp='1315683622' post='5505156']
Like i said, people ONLY have an issue when people post only normals because there isnt much to comment on, if its not just normals, then no one has an issue
[/quote]

Maybe not you, but some people do. I remember when I made this post, there was something that I just looked at that had like 7 cards. They were all really good, but a few people commented saying... "You have some good cards, but vanillas? 1/10". That's why I made this post.

It's true, and if you have spelling mistakes, it's even worse... as long as

[quote name='Yankee' timestamp='1315373001' post='5497917']
Like I said, if you have good flavor text and a good pic, it's a good card. However, many members have begun to ignore this, having seen vanilla's be destroyed since they first join the site. They automatically assume they are bad, simply for being vanilla.
[/quote]

[quote name='Yankee' timestamp='1315373001' post='5497917']
Like I said, if you have good flavor text and a good pic, it's a good card. However, many members have begun to ignore this, having seen vanilla's be destroyed since they first join the site. They automatically assume they are bad, simply for being vanilla.
[/quote]

Yeah, some really good cards I've seen on here have been criticized JUST for the fact of being a normal monster. When a really good card is made, and some idiot has to say "It's okay, but its a vanilla.... 1/10". I just don't get that.

[quote name='No. 34 Terror-Byte' timestamp='1315689194' post='5505338']

Disregard negative comments from low level members, typically (not always) low level members arent really activave and barely know much about the game, so dont let them get to you. Higher level members realize the importance of all cards.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Thanks for the comment and help.

[quote name='Miror B.' timestamp='1315689373' post='5505347']
Level doesn't mean sh*t. Disregard anybody commenting on a card that says "Vanilla's suck 1/10". Just means they see the template and make huge assumptions.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what this original post was about, why people make those assumptions, and then Marco Polo here decided to reiterate my point and rant about how vanillas are only about pictures. Thanks for the help Miror B.

There are only 5 things that matter that you can customize on a Vanilla monster. It's attack, it's defense, it's attribute, it's type and it's level.

The best way to do a vanilla would be to make some really, really clever support for it, but people usually think that just means "equips" or some garbage like that. But just a pure vanilla and nothing else? It just reeks of laziness and unoriginality.

[quote name='KcChiefsFan' timestamp='1315362948' post='5497663']
I was just wondering why people care so much if you make a 'vanilla' card. Not all cards used are effect monsters, and a lot of people just want to duel for fun and make cards that they like. I just don't get the point of downgrading a card because it doesn't have an effect. The point isn't to make the strongest card, right? I don't know. Just wanted to hear your guys' thoughts.
[/quote]
1.You're probably making a Lady Gaga vanilla with 9998 ATK, right?
2.No, the point isn't in making the strongest card; it's not like they're all retards who can't think off a level 1 which wins the duel automatically.

The point of every card here, wether it's a vanilla or not, is making the most beautiful, jaw-dropping, epic and interesting card.
When you bring out an eff monster, people comment on the eff itself.
However when you make a vanilla and publish it -
You must make it perfect, otherwise it'd be pathetic.

You need to find a great pic, a beautiful card template, an astonishing description, a very fitting name, fitting ATK&DEF (not necessarily strong) etc.
If you don't have any of the above - your vanilla is not worthy because it is boring and casual.

thing is vanillas are useless without support is all or part of something big... some ppl, not me, see that vanillas is just a picture thrown on nothing, some ppl work hard on descriptions and ppl forget that... plus the lore is FLAVER text to give an idea... plus some noobs just look at pics and when they see yellow they get crazy, they want red... lol

[quote name='KcChiefsFan' timestamp='1315624871' post='5503727']

I don't know if you understand my post at all. I haven't posted any cards, and I'm not the type to make weird cards that don't make sense and s***. No I haven't made a Lady Gaga card... My post was just asking why people get mad at normal monsters being posted. I was new to the site and didn't know. Why do normal monsters have to be so "astonishing"? Some of the stupidest effect cards posted get great reviews because of their effect, so what's the difference with a normal monster? I don't get it, but whatever.

And what in my post did I have anything to say about super strong cards? Dude I've dueled before. I know you have to have a balanced deck. If I mentioned or alluded to cards having to be strong let me know, but I don't think I did. Thanks for the post and opinion bro.
[/quote]
@strong cards ~ you thought the point of the card maker is making the strongest card, I said it isn't.
@Normal Monsters ~
1.All those Normal Monsters are bullshit, I haven't seen a single Normal card in my entire experience here which was decent +.
2.In effect cards, there's something to review; However Normals have just a description - which means we will just look at your card and decide wether it looks good or not. The card maker has a horrible template, so anyone who wishes to create normals using it - is doomed for negative comments.
Normals have to be astonishing to succeed.

[quote name='KcChiefsFan' timestamp='1315670336' post='5504581']

Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up- what my impression was, was that she was saying her cards were more creative and everything.

@Strong-Show me where I said that. I NEVER said that. You don't have to make up damn lies to prove a point.
@ Normal monsters- And sometimes people post cards that were an idea they had and they wanted to show people. Not just because they think 'ooh this card is sooooo strong'. And I've been here for about a month and seen several good normal monsters.
[/quote]
What idea could there possibly be behind a vanilla?
And you're new, your judgement isn't as good.

[quote name='Miror B.' timestamp='1315676821' post='5504804']
Then you have no point in being here. Good day sir.
[/quote]
I'm not here for vanillas, are you?

And there's nothing besides beauty in vanillas.
There's a description, but other than that there's none.

[quote name='Marco Polo' timestamp='1315568911' post='5502144']
1.You're probably making a Lady Gaga vanilla with 9998 ATK, right?
2.No, the point isn't in making the strongest card; it's not like they're all retards who can't think off a level 1 which wins the duel automatically.

The point of every card here, wether it's a vanilla or not, is making the most beautiful, jaw-dropping, epic and interesting card.
When you bring out an eff monster, people comment on the eff itself.
However when you make a vanilla and publish it -
You must make it perfect, otherwise it'd be pathetic.

You need to find a great pic, a beautiful card template, an astonishing description, a very fitting name, fitting ATK&DEF (not necessarily strong) etc.
If you don't have any of the above - your vanilla is not worthy because it is boring and casual.
[/quote]

I don't know if you understand my post at all. I haven't posted any cards, and I'm not the type to make weird cards that don't make sense and s***. No I haven't made a Lady Gaga card... My post was just asking why people get mad at normal monsters being posted. I was new to the site and didn't know. Why do normal monsters have to be so "astonishing"? Some of the stupidest effect cards posted get great reviews because of their effect, so what's the difference with a normal monster? I don't get it, but whatever.

And what in my post did I have anything to say about super strong cards? Dude I've dueled before. I know you have to have a balanced deck. If I mentioned or alluded to cards having to be strong let me know, but I don't think I did. Thanks for the post and opinion bro.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1315510391' post='5500478']
If Blue Eyes and Dark Magician (and their support) never existed, and then suddenly everything came in the next new booster, yeah, I'd think Konami were lazy for making them.
[/quote]

You're saying you could make the most popular cards of all time? Please go ahead. Under my impression, nobody in the world could create a card that had so much of an effect on the world of Yu-Gi-Oh! ever again. If you honestly think those cards aren't creative/good ideas, then fine. But we disagree with a fiery passion my friend. Lol thanks for your posts.

[quote name='PikaPerson01' timestamp='1315510391' post='5500478']
If Blue Eyes and Dark Magician (and their support) never existed, and then suddenly everything came in the next new booster, yeah, I'd think Konami were lazy for making them.
[/quote]

Those two cards created Yugioh, in terms of popularity and how many new fans those cards created. Yeah it was because of the anime, but so what? Who would've guess the two most popular cards of all time were vanillas. I'm just saying that normal monsters can be good too and I was asking why people ripped other people for creating vanillas, no matter how creative they were. Not you in particular obviously, in fact NOT you at all, but others. Thanks for your input, but I have to disagree with you. But hey, this is an opinionated post, so feel free to believe what you want and I'll do the same.

[quote name='Miror B.' timestamp='1315680047' post='5505006']
No, but I have seen some well thought out ones before.
[/quote]
This.
If people put more effort into them, they could actually be good.
Instead, we get stuff like this:
[quote name='Dragonruler321' timestamp='1314143112' post='5464500']
[img]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5520/262399.jpg[/img][/quote]

Archived