The Newest BS Law The American Government Wants To Pass.

OmegaWave

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Mr. Striker' timestamp='1321672254' post='5651856']
[spoiler=Current Numbers][u]Senate[/u]
51-47-2
D - R - I

[u]House[/u]
242-197-1
R - D - V

D=Democrat
R=Republican
I=Independent
V=Vacant[/spoiler]

Anything can happen with these numbers.
[/quote]

Well you see, to pass a bill, it must be approved by 2/3 majority votes in both houses of Congress. Though the number of Democrats and Republicans aren't very far apart in the Senate, there is almost no way 60 Senators would agree with the bill.

[quote name='Random Dude' timestamp='1321677578' post='5652013']
Well you see, to pass a bill, it must be approved by 2/3 majority votes in both houses of Congress. Though the number of Democrats and Republicans aren't very far apart in the Senate, there is almost no way 60 Senators would agree with the bill.
[/quote]

I think you are mistaking the bill process for the Amendment process. You only need 50% + 1 vote to pass something in any house. However, 60 senators prevents the filibuster, which you brought out.

[quote name='Random Dude' timestamp='1321680254' post='5652099']
Actually, the last line would be the Supreme Court since this new bill is pretty much against the first amendment. If Obama passes it, the courts can no doubt put that law out of existence through Judicial Review.
[/quote]

That'll mean the bill will be law for a few years if it comes to that. Only once has a case been grabbed by the Court recently. Bush v. Gore (2000).

[quote name='Random Dude' timestamp='1321719535' post='5652610']
I would think it would be resolved pretty quickly since it is unconstitutional. It would take maybe a few months since pretty much everyone in our generation is gonna complain about it and protest. And probably ignore the law anyway since it's bull.
[/quote]

That's actually the irony of it all. Once you pass a law, people actually do it illegally MORE.

That's one of the debates across the country for example in the case of legalizing marijuana. Because right now it's illegal, people do it more. But if you legalize it, such activity will go down

[quote name='ragnarok1945' timestamp='1321420410' post='5645840']
you believe it wouldn't if it passed?
[/quote]
I'm not even considering what it would do if it passed as much as I do other needless hypotheticals. The fact that people here have gone into even more Amerirage spasms(when the bill originated from a SIXTY FOUR YEAR OLD in TEXAS) over this is just YCM idiocy shining through.

[quote name='ragnarok1945' timestamp='1321751662' post='5654073']
That's one of the debates across the country for example in the case of legalizing marijuana. Because right now it's illegal, people do it more. But if you legalize it, such activity will go down
[/quote]
It would probably go up, actually.

[quote name='ragnarok1945' timestamp='1321751662' post='5654073']
That's actually the irony of it all. Once you pass a law, people actually do it illegally MORE.

[/quote]
Currently, the only way to get it is through dealers that you have connections with, but if it's legal, it's gonna be a lot easier to get to.

Archived