Anime: Subbed or Dubbed?

Fusion X. Denver

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Subbed
    • Dubbed
    • Either

Typically prefer Subbed. If I wanted to watch Cartoons with English Voices, I'd watch American cartoons.

However, some Dubs are pretty good.

It probably depends on which version I see first. For example, since I watched the Dub for Code Geass first, the Sub just sounds weird. It's the opposite for Angel Beats.

wouldn't this be in anime and manga? :/

Usually subbed, but dubbed depends on the actors and how much they're into it. Dubbing with the most bland and emotionless acting tends to piss me off. That, or the godawful lines(Looking at you, 4kids). Most Japan does from what I've seen is just use very unfitting voices for characters.

Either, I guess.

I prefer dub if it's out there, but I don't mind subbed.

[quote name='Poison Love' timestamp='1321902953' post='5657210']
Only watch Dubs of much older anime (Or it depends on how western the anime is)

Subs all the way otherwise
[/quote]
But older dubs are worse than newer dubs...

[quote name='Poison Love' timestamp='1321903838' post='5657241']
I cannot stand a majority of the current dubbing voice actors. I perfer the dubs of like, Cowboy Bebop ettc
[/quote]
Vic Mignogna
Dave Wittenberg
Johnny Yong Bosch
Etc.

Most VAs do it better now... ._.

Look its not that i dislike the current dubs really, i just dont really do that much watching of dubs lately anymore. The only anime i've watched as of lately are Zexal, Ben-to and Tiger and Bunny. Idk about you, but i dont particularly like hearing the same voice actor in english over and over again (not going to give out any names but im sure you can guess which voice actor(s) i mean) But i deal with it.

[quote name='Poison Love' timestamp='1321904741' post='5657277']
Look its not that i dislike the current dubs really, i just dont really do that much watching of dubs lately anymore. The only anime i've watched as of lately are Zexal, Ben-to and Tiger and Bunny. Idk about you, but i dont particularly like hearing the same voice actor in english over and over again (not going to give out any names but im sure you can guess which voice actor(s) i mean) But i deal with it.
[/quote]

Yeah, some companies overuse the same VAs. That can be annoying.

Luckily for me, however, the anime I care about that get dubs tend to be dubbed by an array of different companies. Very little overlap in that case.

Either.

I watch all of the Yugioh series dubbed, because it's more convenient that way and it is easier to understand. For others, subbed is better. For example, I just got done watching Angel Beats subbed (I don't think there is a dubbed version, but I think it would suck regardless). It had amazing voice acting. Right now, I'm re-watching Death Note, because the first time I saw it on Adult Swim. Now, I want to see how it is subbed (and because that show is f***ing awesome).

[quote name='Dante v. Nero' timestamp='1321907645' post='5657350']
For example, I just got done watching Angel Beats subbed (I don't think there is a dubbed version, but I think it would suck regardless).
[/quote]

There is a dubbed. After watching both, I personally prefer the dubbed, but I can respect someone feeling the opposite since subbed VAs were great too.

The one thing I like about dubbed is if I want to check something in another dub real quick, I can listen to the dialogue whereas for subs I have to stay rooted in there without pausing so I don't miss anything.

[quote name='~Coolio~' timestamp='1321914120' post='5657714']
Yeah, and subbed irreversibly drags your vision to the bottom of the screen.
[/quote]
This

And subs often have voices I think are terrible for the character.

IE: Yami Bakura

His dub voice fits much more than his girly, squeaky original voice. He's supposed to be menacing, but... I can't take him seriously.

It all depends on the VAs, for me. I'm familiar with a lot of names in both dub and sub, so when I watch a new anime I usually pick the one with the most familiar names.

Unless it's FUNimation, which always holds priority for me.

Or 4kids, which holds no priority for me.

[quote name='~Coolio~' timestamp='1321914120' post='5657714']
Yeah, and subbed irreversibly drags your vision to the bottom of the screen.
[/quote]
I never have a problem with this, one quick glance and I've finished reading it.
I watch dubbed if I can't watch the subbed for whatever reason, but I prefer subbed.

Archived