KORRA HAS ARRIVED!

Astro Dude

LoK was made with an older demographic (at least early teens, iirc) in mind, so I guess they're allowed to get away with a bit more? That was still pretty intense.

On the whole, I felt pretty let down by the finale. The flash back was bad storytelling. I am not a fan of "oh he used bloodbending to take away their bending" (reasons stated somewhere earlier in this thread). I have mixed feelings about Iron Man Iroh.

But the most important thing, I didn't feel the emotional payoff for any of the characters. Asami and her dad? Meh. Mako and Korra? Meh. Mako and Asami? Meh. It just didn't feel satisfying. I really liked the Tarlok/Amon scene though.

Korra gaining her powers back isn't a Machina [i]per se[/i], we've got plenty of previous evidence of how amazing the Avatar State is. It still felt cheap and rushed though. I would have [i]loved[/i] for season 2 to deal with the emotional fallout of the loss of bending for Korra and Lin. I think that would have made for phenomenal stories. Instead, they've basically tied up every loose end and given me nothing to speculate or look forward to in S2.

Well, except for where the f*** all these Air Bison came from. I still want to know the answer to that.

And one last thought: After Beifong lost her bending, wouldn't she have been stuck in her uniform, since it requires metalbending to put on? :P

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, HOLY CRAP.

I actually didn't see that coming at all. It was like, WOEH.

As for it being rushed, I agree, but I think part of it has to do with a lot of the viewers being anime fans used to shows like Naruto where they would have taken 50 episodes to do what they had to do in 2.

And that last part, with the boat, THAT caught me be surprise. I was all, "Hey bro, what's that cap you're unscr...OH MY*Drowned out by explosion*

[quote name='Comrade Trollestia' timestamp='1340501279' post='5961658']
Holy crap man, how'd you know?
[/quote]
I pretty much guessed but I didn't say anything because I was already sick and tired of people talking about Amon Theories. :T It wasn't even a serious guess, I just put together the Amon is Tarlock, Amon is Yakone and Amon is Aang's brother and came out with Amon is Yakone's son who is Tarlok's brother who is in no way related to Aang.

[quote]Korra gaining her powers back isn't a Machina per se, we've got plenty of previous evidence of how amazing the Avatar State is. It still felt cheap and rushed though. I would have loved for season 2 to deal with the emotional fallout of the loss of bending for Korra and Lin. I think that would have made for phenomenal stories. Instead, they've basically tied up every loose end and given me nothing to speculate or look forward to in S2.[/quote]
The problem with Korra's ending was that, like I'm sure you already know, it was written to only be one season. It looks like after they wrote it, storyboard-ed it, recorded the voices, and then got the phone call telling them they'd get 14 more episodes they didn't think to redo the ending.

[quote]Well, except for where the f*** all these Air Bison came from. I still want to know the answer to that.[/quote]
"And then saw in the trailer there's a slightly different species of flying bison, just some subtle differences in the horns and the uh pattern, and the idea is that Aang found kind of a herd of these things on some island after the war." - Bryan Konietzko

[url="http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Transcript:San_Diego_Comic-Con_2011"]http://avatar.wikia...._Comic-Con_2011[/url]

My thoughts on Season 1 as a whole:

Honestly, I was rather underwhelmed. If you really think about it, Korra had very, very little involvement in any of the major events in Republic City. Well, that may be incorrect. She's involved to a degree in them, but she has almost no control over the situation. In TLA, if there was a problem Aang would dive headfirst and correct it. With Korra, she always either did nothing or made the situation worse.

Episode 1: ... I guess she ruined Lin and Tenzin's day. She stopped a small time triad but... they were just triad members.
Episode 2: She met and helped out Mako and Bolin. But in the long run Mako, Bolin, and Pro-bending didn't matter in the whole Amon and unbending plot.
Episode 3: She saved Bolin sure, but if they didn't win the previous round they wouldn't have needed the money for the tournament away.
Episode 4: Korra and Tarrlok captured a few random mooks. Korra also got punched in the clavicle.
Episode 5: Relationship filler. If Korra never appeared, it's likely Bolin and Mako wouldn't be around. Meh, two more homeless people keeping the hobo with the bush company.
Episode 6: If Korra didn't exist, Tahno and the Wolfbats would have won, Amon would have shown up and unbent them, and then he and his buddies would have escaped. Korra did exist and the exact same thing happens.
Episode 7: Really the only episode where Korra contributes and even then it's not all that much. She suspects Sato's an equalist, so in this fictional world where she doesn't exist and Mako and Bolin never met Asami, Sato delivers the equalists their robots and the metalbending police don't get unbent until episode 10. Asami is none the wiser. The police also don't suspect a thing.
Episode 8: I assume after the tanks are first used, Tarrlok gets his anti-bending police state thing passed. And then... he... continues having it.
Episode 9: The only real episode where the fact that Korra exists is fundamental to the plot. And that's only because she's the damsel in distress. Beinfong and Tenzin infiltrate equalists thing to save Beinfong's men who were presumably injured last episode and... never find out Tarrlok was a bloodbender.
Episode 10: Tension escaltes in Republic City. Whoever's left in the police force gets unbent. Lin gets unbent. This is exactly what happens anyway. The only difference is Tarrlok would probably get unbent around here in this parallel non-Korra universe. It's also the first time Korra didn't completely ruin everything. Right here Korra saves Tenzin outside of the Police Staion.
Episode 11: Second time Korra is actually useful. She saves Tenzin, Jinora, Ikki and Meelo.
Episode 12: Final time Korra is useful. She pushed Amon out a window into the harbor, and exposed him as a fraud. Even then, she lets him get away and it's up to Tarrlok to finish him off.

The only reason Amon lost at the end was because he grabbed the idiot ball. He could have told the Lieutenant that the ends justified the means, that his waterbending would have been the final trump card against Korra, that his waterbending was what took away people's bending... really, anything. He suddenly loses his charisma and starts coming out swinging? He waterbends a whole cyclone of water instead of just bending himself back to the surface and making it look like he swam? Amon's been slapping Korra around for a whole 11+ episodes and suddenly he's too stupid to start talking?

tl;dr - Korra wasn't proactive at all. She just hung around and let the plot happen around her.

My thoughts on Season 2?:

There's only 2 real conflicts as of now that I could imagine the second season could be about. The fisrt is some spirit world shenanigans. Koh the Face Stealer took Avatar Kuruk's wife. Maybe he steals one of Avatar Korra's friends? Or maybe Hei Bei is upset his forest is still being destroyed. Or Won Shi Tong decides he wants revenge on the Avatar who desecrated his library.

The second conflict is one that doesn't have really one major antagonist. No one "kill the head and the body will die". I remember when I saw the first episode of Korra (just Welcome to Republic City, not Leaf In the Wind), I was hoping that the bending triads would play a much bigger part. Instead of just having evil firebenders, we have evil earth, fire, and water benders all campaigning against each other, scheming, plotting, fighting, all with Korra stuck in the middle.

tl;dr - 1) Spirit World 2) Bending Triads

I'll have to admit, Hatcher is kind of on the ball with this one. I know that it was only supposed to be 24 episodes and half of it was going to be with Amon, but I think they could've worked the story into more of a tighter string of events than we saw. Though it has its good moments as well as it's sad ones, as any Avatar series does, I have to also agree it was a bit rushed.

Though for the finale two episodes points go to the following:
Korra: For Spartan Kicking Amon out of a window
Mako: For Lightning Bending Amon in the f*cking face
Melo: For yelling "jail break" while they were escaping
Tarrlock: For blowing himself up like a f*cking boss . . .

[quote name='Phantom Roxas' timestamp='1340480587' post='5961544']
Am I the only one who thought the ending was a blatant Deus Ex Machina? Aside from that, the finale was pretty damn awesome.
[/quote]

Like Vairo said, not [i]per se[/i], considering energybending was a trick Aang learned and it would make sense that he'd be able to pass it down to Korra when the time came, since apparently you can unlock the ability without any real training.
It's more that energybending was a deus ex machina to begin with when Aang learned it RIGHT before fighting Ozai with no real acknowledgement of the skill beforehand (though they did mention lion turtles once or twice before).
[quote name='Wandering Artist - Issun' timestamp='1340488615' post='5961580']
The baby is an airbender, remember?
[/quote]

Not necessarily, he hasn't shown any signs. Bumi was Aang's son and he was born without bending.

Amon's identity, eh, I'll admit I wasn't as psyched as I thought I'd be, but I'm not dissatisfied either.

As for season 2, I don't know what sort of main conflict will happen, but I know a few things that they can address.
-The whole process behind Amon's power and restoring bending. I think an explanation like bloodbending sealing the chakras or something like that could make some sense. Energybending would flow energy through the chakras and make them open again, restoring bending in the process.
-That whole love triangle thing. I also think the show's nudging for Bolin/Asami, though that may just be me.
-Unexplored characters, like Aang's daughter Kya, or Zuko's daughter, who's supposedly the new Fire Lord.\
-Fate of Zuko's mom maybe? They acknowledged it in the first episode, maybe they'll tie it in with a new storyline, though they don't [i]really[/i] need to show what happened to her.

I'll acknowledge that the ending was a little rushed at the end there. My main biff was that Amon acted irrationally. I figured he would have just swam up rather than making a spiral tower.
But still, LoK was pretty awesome as a whole, despite its flaws. I'm looking forward to the second season and expect great things to come.

[quote name='Wandering Artist - Issun' timestamp='1340516140' post='5961742']
Didn't Katara say that the baby was going to be an Airbender in the very first episode?
[/quote]

I think that was just intuition.
Plus, if the first 3 were airbenders, then it's highly likely the 4th will be too.
It's just that there's no way to tell until you're older.

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1340515504' post='5961739']
That whole love triangle thing. I also think the show's nudging for Bolin/Asami, though that may just be me.

My main biff was that Amon acted irrationally. I figured he would have just swam up rather than making a spiral tower.
[/quote]

-you werent the only one.

-It looked like he was out of air and just needed to get up FAST.

BolinxAsami might end up happening as a matching of spades. Kind of funny that the BolinxKorra and Asamixthatoneguy pairings seemed to have much better chemistry and were only torn apart by the revenge of KataraxZuko.

[quote name='King of Games' timestamp='1340500865' post='5961657']
Am I allowed to say I called it? Cuz I definitely did. *takes bow*
[/quote]
I guessed that T would be a bloodbender and that Yakone was capable of bloodbending without movement, but my streak ended on Amon. Just too many plausible identities for me to think of the best one. I didn't know this was originally written for one season(actually I forgot), so I chose a more elaborate identity that would require another season for explanation, not knowing Amon was going to explode. >_>

One thing, if Amon had just swum up, people would've seen the scar was fake since it had washed away. Then they would've put 2 and 2 together.

Plus, he'd taken lightning to the face and just been sparta kicked out a window, it's safe to say he was pretty angry and not thinking with the utmost clarity. Also, he was being attacked by Mako, so if he simply swum up he'd be open.

Poor Amon. Why did u asplode. D:

Anyhoo, while I'm a wee bit disappointed as well, I don't think the finale was [i]bad[/i].

But Asami/Bolin is painfully obvious and cliche as hell. They should have gone with Korra/Asami, despite how little sense it would have made. :D

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1340515504' post='5961739']
-Fate of Zuko's mom maybe? They acknowledged it in the first episode, maybe they'll tie it in with a new storyline, though they don't [i]really[/i] need to show what happened to her.
[/quote]

Read the graphical novel series, "The Promise." It's heavily implied that the third installment will reveal the fate of Zuko's mom, when it's released.

[size=5][size=8]OH MY GOD[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=8][size=5]THE EQUALISTS ARE TEAM PLASMA FROM POKEMON[/size][/size][/size]

[size=6]AMON IS GHETSIS[/size]

[quote name='Comrade Trollestia' timestamp='1340518629' post='5961752']
[size=5][size=8]OH MY GOD[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=8][size=5]THE EQUALISTS ARE TEAM PLASMA FROM POKEMON[/size][/size][/size]

[size=6]AMON IS GHETSIS[/size]
[/quote]

I will never complain about anything in LoK 5ever.

Man, and I wanted to ship IrohxKorra. They seem good for each other.

Wait...this isn't going to turn into one of those shipping threads, is it? Also, we all know how shipping in the Avatar series will do to people. It will turn them into monsters, which will cause a "Die for our ship" situation.

[quote name='King of Games' timestamp='1340559315' post='5961898']
Tenzin x Penma, .....oh wait.

i think the part i disliked most about the finale was Tarlok's sudden change in attitude. He was a manipulative dick the entire show, so i was expecting a twist where he was lying about Amon that never came.
[/quote]
Well he's broken, defeated, and wants Amon taken down. Of course he had a change in attitude.

I think Amon's water tower was out of pure survival instinct. He was basically drowning at that point and I think it was a gut reaction. A bit of an odd one, but when you're a master prodigy waterbender, I'll let it slide. Aang did the same thing the first time we saw him go into the Avatar State.

I actually almost feel like the ending we saw wasn't the ending that was intended. I mean, with the way Korra pushed Mako away and everything, it really felt like we were setting up for S2 to be about Korra dealing with her loss of bending/finding out how to get it back (but maybe I'm just biased because I love the idea of this), but then all of that got undone in the next 5 minutes.

Ps, http://slipstreamborne.tumblr.com/post/25737322928/how-book-one-air-should-have-ended

PPs, I ship Iroh x Bumi.

Oh, [i]The problem with Korra's ending was that, like I'm sure you already know, it was written to only be one season. It looks like after they wrote it, storyboard-ed it, recorded the voices, and then got the phone call telling them they'd get 14 more episodes they didn't think to redo the ending.[/i]

Hatcher answered my thought. I didn't realize they didn't get greenlit for 2 seasons from the get-go. That makes sense.

I don't think any amount of logic would have worked on the Lieutenant though. You can extol the virtues of bending and how it will help the cause all day, at the end of the day, your boss is still a dirty lying bender who has betrayed and destroyed your cause simply by existing.

And here's another thought:
What has defeating Amon accomplished, exactly? Sure, they've set the equalist movement back, possibly beyond recovery, but it doesn't change the fact that [i]strong anti-bender sentiments still exist[/i]. You still have quite a sizable percentage of the population of Republic City that resent Benders. Stopping Amon hasn't fixed the problem, only the surface symptoms.

Geeze, Korra's a terrible Avatar. Aang saved the world at 12, Korra can't even win a pro-bending bowl.

Archived