Sword Art Online

[color=#008080][color="#0000cd"]It wasn't even as bad as you guys are actually making it out to be. Pretty much EVERYTHING off screen would JUST be grinding. Pretty much the reason behind a lot of the pacing. Just no point in watching nothing but Kirito solo a few dungeons and bosses with zero character progression.[/color][/color]

[color=#008080][color="#0000cd"]By the way, Accel World isn't even THAT good. I could just as easily dis on how terrible some of its aspects like its romance and ridiculous plot devices. At least SAO actually stays very true to most MMOs and as long as you've played one...or really any video game you're not going to have too much trouble figuring simple stuff out. [/color][/color][color=#008080]<----Totally didn't have a much longer post already typed out that got way more into detail.[/color]

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it weren't good I wouldn't even be discussing it. Some things [i]need [/i]to be shown however, I was completely confused for the first 10 minutes of episode 3, it began so abruptly, that I thought I had accidentally skipped an episode. Oh and I don't know about you, but the first boss was definitely far from "grinding" to me, If this anime can work too incorporate the story with the action scenes that well, I don't see why they [i]wouldn't[/i] add that. Also, there is no point in watching just Kirito's dramatic adventure that just so happens to be in a virtual world because even the main protagonist has no stable character progression. The first episode he's a laid-back aspiring teen who seems to be a lone wolf, two episodes later contrary to his seemingly secluding nature (so strong in fact, he cannot bear the thought of journeying with another person.) he ends up joining a guild. That and the fact that he has become completely cold and distant due to the death of a character with less than 20 minutes of screen time.

It's not so much what's wrong, instead what really irritates me is that there is so much potential for this anime to be amazing. The pacing and exclusion of key elements is what may end up making this anime simply mediocre.

[quote name=''Night' timestamp='1343285389' post='5989177']
If it weren't good I wouldn't even be discussing it. Some things [i]need [/i]to be shown however, I was completely confused for the first 10 minutes of episode 3, it began so abruptly, that I thought I had accidentally skipped an episode.
[color=#0000CD]That's actually a fair misunderstanding. I was annoyed by the beginning too.[/color]
Oh and I don't know about you, but the first boss was definitely far from "grinding" to me,
[color=#0000CD]I didn't say that first boss was grinding at all. Grinding would be like fighting a bunch of monsters by a certain random village near the town of beginnings. You know, the thing he was going to after the first episode. [color=#0000CD]The first boss fight not only showed what boss fights (along with a little bit more of some minor game mechanics) were like but also introduced other important characters through it. Also the point in which that Beater thing and he randomly became some sort of bad guy for a bit.[/color] But you guys did seem to have a sort of problem with it not being shown and were annoyed as to why they skipped to room 49 so I gave a simple reason as to why I think that may be. You're bringing up points I myself agree on and didn't really say anything against. Merely that most of what wasn't shown wouldn't be interesting. Like grinding to level 42 and from there from to 48 when with the guild.[/color]
If this anime can work too incorporate the story with the action scenes that well, I don't see why they [i]wouldn't[/i] add that.
[color=#0000CD]I agree completely. I was disappointed myself when the action scenes were skipped out on.[/color]
Also, there is no point in watching just Kirito's dramatic adventure that just so happens to be in a virtual world because even the main protagonist has no stable character progression.
[color=#0000CD]Well the point of the virtual world is to get in that survival element. It's not like the world is normally like that and you don't absolutely have to fight because you aren't trapped and won't die in real life too. I got nothing for the rest of that sentence though.[/color]
The first episode he's a laid-back aspiring teen who seems to be a lone wolf, two episodes later contrary to his seemingly secluding nature (so strong in fact, he cannot bear the thought of journeying with another person.) he ends up joining a guild.
[color=#0000CD]Well I agree for the most part but it's really more contradictory to episode 2 rather than episode 1. In episode 1 he does make friends with Klein and has no real problems showing him the ropes of the game. He even offers to take him with him to the next town. Weak to peer pressure maybe? Or was that probably showing he really isn't that bad of a guy and actually wants to help people and if anything is contradicting it really was just the last two minutes of episode 2 in which he suddenly pretends to become the true loner type for reasons I still don't completely understand? MAYBE a combination of both. Simply speculation. Any of the three would get him into their guild though and you can't really forget he was hiding the fact that he was a beater. Something he seemed so proud of at the end of episode 2. So the end of episode 2 can probably be disregarded as just him pretending.[/color]
That and the fact that he has become completely cold and distant due to the death of a character with less than 20 minutes of screen time.
[color=#0000CD]I don't actually have many quarrels for that. Maybe I don't have a good reason to but I still liked her as a character even if it was for so short. Although I do believe splitting this into one more episode at least still would have made it all around better I don't completely dislike it.[/color]

It's not so much what's wrong, instead what really irritates me is that there is so much potential for this anime to be amazing. The pacing and exclusion of key elements is what may end up making this anime simply mediocre.
[color=#0000CD]Again, something that I can't help but agree on.[/color]
[/quote]

Accel World's romance is just poorly handled because it became a harem series for no reason, and I still can't really support the relationship between Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime, and while Chiyu seems to be the alternate love interest in spite of her relationship with Takumu, she's kind of annoying. The plot doesn't bother me, although I don't think there's a clear cut main villain beyond maybe Vanquish, the Armor of Catastrophe, and possibly the creator of Accel World. If it's the latter, then that would be way too much like SAO. Haruyuki is at least a more likable character than Kirito.

I also had the feeling that I had skipped an episode, even though I knew I was watching episode 3. It's like [C], although far worse in terms of pacing.

[spoiler=Episode 4]
Loled at that fail of an attack.
Better episode then last week; we got lots of intel about PvPing, healing, and that Kirito's apparently part of a group that's at the front lines. Which makes sense, at least that there's a group of people actively advancing through the game.
And Silika wasn't really annoying like I thought she might be at first and I'm glad she got her pet back.
But I hope next episode we can see some of that frontline action.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Phantom Roxas' timestamp='1344016970' post='5996424']
[url="http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Versus"]There was a crossover with Accel World.[/url]

THIS NEEDS TO BE AN OVA.
[/quote]
I heard about this...I also heard it would be an amazing idea for SAO to have a crossover with the Heros from Fate/Night.

Despite it's supposed flaws I am enjoying this anime and I'm willing to stick it out to the very end. I actually like a good murder mystery myself so I'm looking forward to ep 6. Just give it time as this is going to be a 25 or so episode long series. My only real concern in any anime is if the ending is rushed.

[quote name='Phantom Roxas' timestamp='1344656008' post='6003638']
[spoiler=Because AW/SAO crossover fanart is amazing.][img]http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q458/Phantom_Roxas/tumblr_m25cmcoBfN1rry1e9o1_500.jpg[/img][img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8k18pV1gQ1qk6h3bo1_400.jpg[/img][/spoiler]
[/quote]I saw that Shiroyukihime thing before, but it and that other one really is amazing.

Archived