Sword Art Online

[spoiler=:O We got some action this episode.]*Doesn't talk about what the title of this spoiler is about*
Would it have been okay to punch that guy instead of looking disgusted before you knew that you probably can't punch the guy? No? Didn't think so.
I never imagined that 2 episodes of SAO in a row would make me feel so sad... *should have imagined that*[/spoiler]

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler='Overly cautious spoiler, just go watch the ep now.']
Well someone's been recovering quickly, and apparently Kirito's body got stronger from the SAO leveling too. What? The skills transferring i understand, but the line about Kendo sword feeling light bugs me.

And by the look of the opening, things are taking a turn for the incestual. ...*sigh*...

Other than those gripes, good episode, Sogou is going to be like Nomi looks like, and I want him beat repeatedly with swords.
And next ep Mario begins his quest to find Princess Peach
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spoiler Stuff]
[color=#0000CD]I'm pretty sure him being better at kendo and kendo sword being light is more of a mental thing. Not as much that he actually got stronger. He did prefer a heavier sword after all and would constantly use one with that kind of weight. He was used to it. Although I still think that may have been a really quick recovery and that him being in some pain after the fight was just some way to try and balance it all out. :I[/color]

[color=#0000CD]And yeah...the opening and a lot of the episode kind of screamed incest a bit. Not my kind of thing so it caused me to take a bit of a step back. Although I took a step forward because I wanted to punch that Sogou guy.[/color]

[color=#0000CD]By the way, this is a previous episode thing but I kept thinking Klein was going to pull out that revive item from the Santa boss to revive Asuna or maybe Kirito. :I[/color]

[color=#0000CD]Oh, and cool. There was some action.[/color]
[/spoiler]

At the time of this being published, in LN form, the author didn't know how to write a female main character without a love interest. (Liz, Silica, Sachi, and Sugu were all results). Needless to say, he got better at writing motivations for females.

The author was afraid that this would turn into a harem. :P

[quote name='useD Swordsman' timestamp='1350175899' post='6043905']
[color=#0000CD]I can certainly see that.[/color]
[color=#0000CD]Is that also a problem he had for Accel World?[/color]
[/quote]
Nail on the head.

Well, I found it. This is the Afterwards from the LN Volume that starts Fairy Dance/ALO/where the anime currently is. This was written in 2009, btw.

[i]"Furthermore, I am sorry for another new heroine appearing, I am truly sorry. I believe that everyone too is gradually sensing the unpleasant trend...perhaps from now on the same kind of development...

No, however, after thinking about it, Accel” is like that too. It’s not that I was particularly aiming to write like that. Without the ability to write a sculptured group of multi-viewpoints, the number of female character increased and inevitably, without exception, they form a connection with the main character.

...I am sorry, perhaps, it’s because around 40% simply likes that stuff..."[/i]

[quote name='iKira' timestamp='1350765516' post='6049168']
[spoiler Dat Blondie]
Had better not steal Asuna's or Sugu's (brief but semi interesting) spotlights
This totally going to turn into a harem, isn't it?
[/spoiler]
Kirito is made of Gary Stu man
[/quote]
[spoiler Regarding the harem thing (Some might not want to know this)]
By the end everybody is sort of attracted to Kirito, but know that KiritoxAsuna is OTP. So, its like the lowest form of harem you can get.[/spoiler]

fyi, people (around the web) are upset that Kirito is still godly. He has a week before the marriage, what did everyone expect to happen? :S

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1350768973' post='6049209']

fyi, people (around the web) are upset that Kirito is still godly. He has a week before the marriage, what did everyone expect to happen? :S
[/quote]
Well yeah, I can understand keeping SOME of his skills

But good lord, that man makes Alucard look weak by comparison sometimes

Remember that one scene where those thugs attacks were actually lower than his regenerative abilities?

Now THAT was some Gary action xD

[quote name='iKira' timestamp='1350769968' post='6049226']
Well yeah, I can understand keeping SOME of his skills
But good lord, that man makes Alucard look weak by comparison sometimes
Remember that one scene where those thugs attacks were actually lower than his regenerative abilities?
Now THAT was some Gary action xD
[/quote]
Wasn't he like 40 levels ahead of them? My level 60 pokemon can decimate level 20s at worse odds than 10-to-1 with ease.

He barely kept any of his skills. He lost Dual Blades and the sword skills. He now has 1 handed swordsmanship, night vision (due to being a Spriggan class), Illusion magic (Spriggan), fishing, and I think I saw tracking.

This was described better in the LN, but VRMMOs are done using brain reactions (as if your internet connection was your brain). Some people are just better (reason he got Dual Blades), but everyone gets better brain activity (connection) the more use to FullDive they are. 2 consecutive years compared to the half/full year that ALO has been online (this is further expanded in GGO and Mother's Rosario, sadly). This was the reason for his amazing speed.

However, most of it this episode was that we are use to comparing Kirito to strong frontliners and high level monsters. We can't be mad that he just picked off a weak player in no time, can we?

Edit: btw, I not denying that he is a Gary Stu. But what action protag isn't? :P

[quote name='iKira' timestamp='1350772051' post='6049256']
Well, you have a point about his level being so much more higher than theirs and that most shonen protags [i]are[/i] Gary Stus
but his is so much more casual. It's like he's a permanent Super Saiyan.
Was it ever explained in the LN if people actually die in ALO?
[/quote]
The good thing though is that his Gary-ness does not last past ALO.

The way ALO works is that when your health reaches zero you burst into flames known as 'Remain Light'. In that state you can see (and maybe hear, idr) but you cannot be heard. You have 1 minute in that state before you respawn back to the last city you were in, hence why Kirito said "a game you can die in is to easy." (it has to be a neutral or ally city though)

About him(Kirito) as he is now, is he really the strongest player there and if he was to be attacked also wounded will he die that instince or will he just stand as in the ep-where low players attacked him and he got no really any damage or is it different now?

[quote name='.Mikel.' timestamp='1350773354' post='6049274']
About him(Kirito) as he is now, is he really the strongest player there and if he was to be attacked also wounded will he die that instince or will he just stand as in the ep-where low players attacked him and he got no really any damage or is it different now?
[/quote]
No, he isn't the strongest. It should explain how the damage is calculated in ALO next episode.

ALO has no level system, so all players get the same amount of health. As far as I know, there is also no auto regenerate in ALO.

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1350771696' post='6049250']
Edit: btw, I not denying that he is a Gary Stu. But what action protag isn't? :P
[/quote]I dunno. =o

Kirito is clearly awesome because of that. :P

It would have been hilarious if Kirito chose to be a girl, it's not like this time he'll revert to how he actually looks like, right? ;3

I think a good reason to complain is that theoretically, just because you're good at a game doesn't mean you should automatically be good at another. However, I think this could be justified by the fact that, as LZ pointed out, the NerveGear is tied to your brain functions, so you should be good at it physically and thus could have a feel for the controls, and it's like playing another installment in a game after being so awesome at the last one.

[quote name='iKira' timestamp='1350777985' post='6049320']
So, will GGO's plot be more like SAO or will it be intermediate like ALO?
Because right now, it seems like ALO is only just to save Asuna before the wedding and nothing else whereas SAO was a long term survival.
[/quote]
GGO is the darkest of the story lines, imo. The illustrations and actual story was chilling. ALO does get better, but I remember thinking it was too girly when I started reading it.

Archived