Unban Crab

Brushfire

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean a strike for moderators only. If all the mods just said "we're not going to do anything until you help us". All hell would break loose and YCMaker would be forced into action.

That seems like a really good plan to get the entire mod team demoted =/

I feel that it has a 45% chance of succeeding

hey guys isn't it possible that she could both have made a completely valid point and yet still clearly deserve a ban?

I don't know if this possibility was brought up given I haven't read the whole thread

At this point I don't think this thread cares about Crab's situation

But I was thinking the same thing

hey guys isn't it possible that she could both have made a completely valid point and yet still clearly deserve a ban?

I don't know if this possibility was brought up given I haven't read the whole thread

It's possible, but in this thread, no more f*cks will be given for Crab.

Bottom line, we can argue about ways to get YCMaker's attention, despite how right or wrong they are, but it's not going to get anywhere because YCMaker doesn't care enough.

No, you are actually the first person to float such a possibility. Yes. Really.

Mod strike is a stupid idea and would basically be meaningless. Frankly, we're assuming YCMaker even makes much money off ads. It could be just enough to cover the hosting fees, which I assume are minimal (no idea the extent of the software/hardware behind YCM, just assuming here).

Mod strike is a stupid idea and would basically be meaningless. Frankly, we're assuming YCMaker even makes much money off ads. It could be just enough to cover the hosting fees, which I assume are minimal (no idea the extent of the software/hardware behind YCM, just assuming here).

Not too long ago, he was estimated to make right around $40,000 a year off the site. Even if activity has been cut in half, that's roughly 20,000 a year for doing jack.

He'd probably be making closer to 60k or 70k if Xyz's were executed. But this is YCMaker we're talking about, he likely cares more about enough money than lots of money.

Winning over his attention just isn't working. Wait until more YGO Card Designs like "Cheale", or "Kibren", or some other randomly named crap comes out. Eventually, yugico or some other site will be up to date, while YCM is so behind the times that he'll have to come back if he wants to make more than a measly 2k a year.

It's really all a matter of time. Whether it be something to effectively replace/update this site. It's a matter of time.

Does that figure accommodate the cost of server upkeep? Because it seems a little off to me.

For those who are curious as to why we need YCMaker around in the first place:

1. Upkeep of the Card Maker, the point of the site itself. Currently, the maker is an outdated, mildly glitchy program that would take about twelve minutes to update if someone actually cared enough to do so and was also the admin. The fact it hasn't been is in itself incredibly telling of what YCMaker cares about this place.

2. Upkeep of the Forum, in all of its glitchy majesty. There are more and more errors we find weekly with the system that we're unable to help people with, solely because we lack the passwords to actually tamper with the underlying code. Even worse is when we get to the Mod Tools that other members can't see, which are almost completely broken and a total embarrassment to anyone with even a mild knowledge of programming.

3. Upkeep of the Moderators, because we're not all going to be here forever. While we have a limited ability to promote others, we can't demote by any means outside of totally destroying the account (which we can only do to promoted accounts, mind, thanks to a glitch). Our Super Moderators in particular are going to become scarce soon, especially since YCMaker never promotes those even on the blindingly scarce occasion he does appear.

4. Miscellaneous things in service of the forum that should have been done months ago, like adding or changing the names of subforums. The sub-admin capability we mentioned earlier would have given us the ability to cover most of these, but looks like that was an empty hope.

If the status quo keeps and YCMaker doesn't show again, we can expect the forum to eventually buckle beneath its own shoddily-programmed weight after the flow of new members chokes because the Card Maker itself is a totally useless piece of junk. But we'll all have left long before that, because the difficulty of policing the area and the lack of dexterity with the subforums would have made the place almost uninhabitable.

Just making it clear why Crab was doing this in the first place.

(PS to the person who said Crab's situation was parallel to accidentally murdering a person, no it isn't. YCMaker can make a new account just by logging into his software administrator account, and also accidental murder is called manslaughter and doesn't necessarily mean jailtime, what is wrong with you)

The last time I checked was slightly over eighteen months ago, and at that time he was earning just under $40,000 from this site. That's going to be decreasing continuously, and I'd say now is probably below $20,000. So he still isn't doing too badly.

Guest Kakashi Hatake

The last time I checked was slightly over eighteen months ago, and at that time he was earning just under $40,000 from this site. That's going to be decreasing continuously, and I'd say now is probably below $20,000. So he still isn't doing too badly.

Man, now I want YCMaker to get out and give me the site. o_O

Guest Kokonoe

I don't plan on striking, so there goes that idea. 8'D

Nor do I. Neither does Yuzuru. Pretty sure LZ isn't going to as well. Cinnamon probably won't either.

A strike by moderators or members would never be effective because as stated he generates his revenue from the card maker. Since he has the domain www.yugiohcardmaker.com he procurs quite a few guests. Adding xyz to the card maker would likely generate no extra revenue because the average person visits the card maker and is happy with a simple effect monster or vanilla (this is how I found the site).

Guest Yuzuru Otonashi

The best part is that, even as a joke, it was terrible. Crab's name came from the card Kanikabuto, which literally means "Crab Helmet".

the-more-you-know.gif

Having done a slight amount of research I found this page: http://widestat.com/yugiohcardmaker.net. The estimate for the amount YCMaker would earn on this site clearly shows that YCMaker has a vested interest in the site but it also shows that the card maker is where his profit is from. I believe should the card maker begin to be outclassed it will draw his attention but as a new member would know, googling Yugioh Card Maker turns this website up as the primary result.

Without XYZ's or whatever the hell they're called, YCMaker is losing a lot of money and has an angry forum. I'm certain that by now he knows that the card maker is outdated and the forum wants him back. Him coming back and fixing the card maker would earn him a lot more money, and make the members of the site that he 'runs' a lot happier. I don't see any reason for him not to come back. YCMaker is just being extremely lazy in my opinion, seeing as though I'm pretty sure I saw a post before saying that he isn't really busy.

Him coming back, shutting down the site for almost 6 days in total and only banning a single member is just completely and utterly stupid. Seeing as though getting his attention, which we have been trying to do for like, a year or so now, would most likely have gotten his attention, but he hasn't done anything, doing something as ridiculous as merging his account deserves a ban. So to stay on the actual topic of the thread, Crab should stay banned.

I kind of want to play devil's advocate here, mostly because I can probably guess with a lot more clarity as to why YCMaker doesn't seem to be around. First and foremost, I am going off Mihails' revelation as to YCMaker's identity that it is Will Adams-Keane. I did a slight bit of research on this person out of curiosity, and he's apparently quite the busy fellow. Member Accounts in quite a few places, no to mention his personal life. Most likely he outgrew this place. He keeps an eye on it because it is a financial investment, but I think he has other projects on his mind, not to mention college/life in general. He appointed mods to keep the forum in check, and he would handle the technical side of things. But, over time, his interest started to fade in this place and most likely in the game in general. He doesn't really want to invest more into a product that he really isn't much interested in anymore, but he can't just abandon his source of revenue, so he keeps an eye on things. And that's what he does when he logs on, he makes sure things are at least functional, and then he leaves.

Now, if we look at it through this perception, what happened to Crab is also the logical response. I don't think YCMaker concerns himself with the forum at all. That is the job of moderators. However, Crab overstepped the lines and kind of attacked his source of revenue. And no leader that I have ever met enjoys a coup. So, he got on and banned her for I guess upsetting the balance.

The big problems we have though is that his absence is kind of destroying this place because he is the only one with the power to actually change things on the forum. The solutions are pretty obvious.

1. YCMaker should be more active or transfer some of his absolute power over to someone who is active on the forum so that they can do what is necessary.

2. There should probably be a list somewhere of any significant changes made to YCM that is updated perhaps once every week or so.

3. Set up the card maker to make Xyz Monsters (which I suspect he probably isn't able to actually do on his card maker, but that's another issue for another place).

And no, I'm not saying that I don't sympathize at all with this dilemma, and I actually enjoyed hearing about Crab's actions. But, chances are that YCMaker isn't going to do much of anything about this place because he has other concerns and he has lost interest in this.

tl;dr this forum has seen its best years and will now steadily decline into death.

Archived