Stan Alda's Random Card Generator

Stan Alda

I've finally gotten my Random Card Generator in a releasable condition (i.e., it works now)! Are you in need of a seed for your next big thing? Do you need a random deus-ex-machina card for your fic? Are you just bored out of your mind and need a time-killer? This generator may very well be the thing for you! Be careful; it's addictive!

Check it out here: [url="http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=3506"]http://www.generator...or.aspx?id=3506[/url]

[i][b]So what does this wondrous program do?[/b][/i]
This uses an algorithm of some sort (I really don't know how it works) to randomly select words or phrases from up to 8 lists that the creator of the generator (i.e., me) has compiled. The program then strings the selected words/phrases together to create a list, in this case a list of the various parts of a Yu-Gi-Oh monster:[list]
[*]An Attribute (EARTH, WIND, FIRE, WATER, LIGHT, DARK, DIVINE)
[*]A Level (1-12)
[*]A Type (any one of the various types, including Divine-Beasts; also includes Tuners)
[*]A Summoning condition (Normal, Nomi, Semi-Nomi)
[*]An effect
[*]A condition for the card's effect, either Ignition or Continuous
[*]An ATK value (0-5000)
[*]A DEF value (0-5000)
[/list]
[i][b]What doesn't it do?[/b][/i]
The generator has only 8 lists that it can choose factors from. As you can see above, 5 of them--Attribute, Level, Type, ATK, and DEF--are essential to having a proper card. It simply can't have enough parts to make a complex card. In addition, it doesn't have "logic" thingies that produce "If X is selected, then Y will also be selected" factors. Also note that it's [i]random[/i]; not only does it not create automatically balanced cards, it is [i]impossible[/i] to make it produce automatically balanced cards. There's only a small chance of creating a result that makes sense. (The other generators on the site work in exactly the same way.)

Therefore, it cannot make:[list]
[*]Fusions, Rituals, Synchros, or Xyzs
[*]More than 1 effect
[*]Union, Gemini, or Spirit monsters
[*]A name
[/list]
[i][b]Here's a sample of what it produces:[/b][/i]
--
WATER
Level 5
Beast-Warrior/Effect/Tuner
This monster cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. When this monster is targeted for an attack; Return 1 Spell or Trap card on your opponent's side of the field to your hand.
1400/1800

Remember to leave suggestions and critiques of the program here. If there are any mods reading this, could you possibly sticky this thread somewhere?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly one of the "problems" people will notice, is it has the tendency to come up with effects that are either under-powered, overpowered, or just un-playable.
EX:
[quote]WATER/Level 6/Warrior/Effect/Tuner: Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Decrease this monster's ATK by 500; Return 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field to their hand. 4700/4300 [/quote]

Are we supposed to get only Tuners? Also, here's my 5 examples:

[spoiler=1 - Exiled Lord of Searing Flames]
[size=3][color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(251, 253, 254)]FIRE/Level 10/Zombie/Effect/Tuner: This monster cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. Pay 2000 Life Points; Banish 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field. 2900/1800[/background][/font][/color]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=2 - Secret Star Fish]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(251, 253, 254)]LIGHT/Level 2/Fish/Effect/Tuner: Discard 1 card from your hand; Increase this monster's ATK by 1000. 1000/2400[/background][/font][/color][/size]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=3 - Machina Garuda]
FIRE/Level 9/Machine/Effect/Tuner: Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster declares an attack; Return all Spell/Trap cards on the field to their respective owner's hands. 3900/600
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=4 - Spark of the Forbidden Spell]
DARK/Level 5/Thunder/Effect/Tuner: Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute. Send 1 card on the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; Return all cards on the field to their respective owner's hands. 3600/500
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=5 - Koa'ki Meru Datrock]
DARK/Level 9/Rock/Effect/Tuner: Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Attribute as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. When a monster on your side of the field is destroyed by a card effect; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck. 3800/1700
[/spoiler]

[quote name='Armadilloz' timestamp='1349976014' post='6042281']
Mostly one of the "problems" people will notice, is it has the tendency to come up with effects that are either under-powered, overpowered, or just un-playable.
EX:
[/quote]
It's [i]random[/i]; not only does it not create inherently balanced cards, it is [i]impossible[/i] to make it produce automatically balanced cards. The other generators on the site work in exactly the same way. There's only a 1 in 50 chance of creating a result that makes sense. I'll make sure to clarify that in the initial post.

[quote name='Mako109' timestamp='1349976110' post='6042286']
There's also the occasional grammar flop.
[/quote]
That's an honest mistake on my part. I'll fix it eventually.

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1349976094' post='6042285']
Are we supposed to get only Tuners?
[/quote]
The way I set it up, the odds of getting a Tuner and a non-Tuner are about equal. I'll fix that soon too. Like I said, it's only a beta.

I tried this for a second time (the first was posted in Stan's status), the first one was bad, and the second one is broken:

DARK
Level 2
Dragon/Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. Send 1 card on the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; Change the Battle Position of 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field.
4600/1900

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1349976321' post='6042290']
I get the feeling that this should be in...the games section? :o
[/quote]
You've got a point, but it creates written cards, so I wasn't quite sure where to put it. If a mod decides that it belongs in Games, they can put it there if they need to.

I've been playing around with this thing, and I either get a card that is bad or broken, like this one:

DIVINE
Level 2
Dragon/Tuner
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. Send 1 card on the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; Draw 2 cards from the top of your Deck.
4100/1800

It actually sounds better in games, cuz I'm loling at several of these XD

Btw...current favorite:

[quote name='みゆきサン' timestamp='1349976214' post='6042288']
[spoiler='Myriad of the Perfect Mind']LIGHT/Level 3/Psychic/Effect/Tuner: [Normal] Offer 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute; Destroy all cards on the field except this card. 2700/1900.

Because a walking OTK that can be E-Teleport'd is amazing.
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Here are some of my new ones:

[spoiler=Deck Leviathan]
DIVINE
Level 4
Sea Serpent/Tuner:
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute. Pay 2000 Life Points; Send the top card of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard.
800/2200
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ancient Moth of Flames]
FIRE
Level 9
Insect/Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. Pay 1000 Life Points; Increase this monster's ATK by 1000.
0/2900
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Knight of 10 Blades]
EARTH
Level 10
Warrior/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster is targeted for an attack; Your opponent cannot activate the effects of Spell or Trap Cards during their next turn.
4100/4500
[/spoiler]

This is actually fun, and can inspire me in the future.

Tyranno Plesiosauria
WATER
Level 8
Dinosaur/Effect/Tuner
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Send 1 card on the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; Increase your Life Points by 1000.
2800/5000

Surpricingly the same here...except with this:

[spoiler=Human God of the Underworld]
DARK/Level 4/Divine-Beast/Effect/Tuner: Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute. Pay 1000 Life Points; Return all monsters on your opponent's side of the field to their hand. 3200/100
[/spoiler]

A level 1 monster with level 11 stats. LAWL

[i]EARTH / Level 1/ Beast-Warrior / Effect[/i]
Offer 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute; Change the Battle Position of 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field.
[i]ATK: 3300 / DEF: 4000[/i]

I've done another 5 more, and I think I finally managed to get a balanced card out of this.

[spoiler=Blue Moon Werewolf]
LIGHT
Level 5
Beast-Warrior/Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster is Normal Summoned from your Hand; Draw 2 cards from the top of your Deck.
4900/4700
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Holy Tyranno]
DIVINE
Level 9
Dinosaur/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute. When you take Battle Damage; Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard.
1200/3000
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Mental Mind Golem]
WIND
Level 11
Psychic/Effect:
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute. When a monster on your side of the field is destroyed by a card effect; Increase this monster's ATK by 1000.
4800/2800
[/spoiler]

The balanced card of the lot imo.
[spoiler=Divine Jellyfish]
WATER
Level 2
Divine-Beast/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. Pay 2000 Life Points; Change the Battle Position of 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field.
0/1900
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hell's Zombie]
FIRE
Level 2
Zombie/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster is targeted for an attack; Return 1 Spell or Trap card on your opponent's side of the field to your hand.
2100/1900
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hey, this one [i]almost [/i]makes [i]some sort[/i] of sense!]Flaming Dinobeast
FIRE
Level 11
Dinosaur/Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. Your opponent cannot activate the effects of Spell or Trap Cards during their next turn.
4600/900
[/spoiler]

EDIT: [spoiler=And this one doesn't make any sense. What. So. Ever.]Nonsensical Gladiator Beast
DIVINE
Level 6
Beast-Warrior/Tuner
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. As long as this card is in your hand; Increase this monster's ATK by 500.
1600/2800
[/spoiler]
But yeah, nice little thingamabob you have there. I suggest lowering the ATK values by a bit (the DEF can stay) and completely removing the DIVINE Attribute.

EDIT2:
[spoiler=The most lolzy of them all.]Dawn Warrior
DIVINE
Level 2
Warrior/Effect
Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Attribute as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. As long as this card is in the Graveyard; Destroy all cards on the field except this card.
3300/1100[/spoiler]
2 DIVINE monsters for a Level 2 3300 ATK monster! EPICOSITY!

EDIT3: Cuz I'm toying with it.
[spoiler=This one makes sense until you look at the ATK and DEF]Electrocuter
WATER
Level 3
Thunder/Effect
[Normal] When this monster is banished by a card effect; Special Summon 1 [monster of the same name as this card] from your Deck. 3200/4600
[/spoiler]

EDIT4: Final edit, promise!
[spoiler=This one is actually balanced!]Aquadragao
WATER
Level 7
Dragon/Effect
Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Attribute as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this monster is Normal Summoned from your Hand; Return 1 Spell or Trap card on your opponent's side of the field to your hand.
[/spoiler]

EDIT5: Okay, I lied
[spoiler=Three cards that make some sort of sense. I must have a record or something.]
Typhoon Fairy
WIND
Level 4
Fairy/Effect
[Normal] Destroy all monsters on the field.
0/2400
[/spoiler]

EDIT6: I give up. I'm just too lucky with these cards.
[spoiler=Just look. Another one that makes sense.]Giant Soldier of Flames
EARTH
Level 4
Pyro/Tuner
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute. Offer 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute; Destroy all Spell/Trap cards on the field. 1900/2400[/spoiler]

I have some new cards: (I feel like I'm getting addicted to it lol)

[spoiler=Sage of the Stormwinds]
WIND
Level 7
Spellcaster/Effect:
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster declares an attack; Return 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field to their hand.
1800/4400
[/spoiler]
Replays galore.

another balanced card imo:
[spoiler=Thunder Servant]
LIGHT
Level 7
Thunder/Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters on your side of the field as Tribute and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this monster is banished by a card effect; Draw 1 card from your Deck.
1100/1200
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Poseidra, Poseidon's Mage]
WATER
Level 5
Spellcaster/Effect:
You can Special Summon this card from your hand by offering 1 Monster on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster declares an attack; Return all Spell/Trap cards on the field to their respective owner's hands.
4400/100
[/spoiler]

WTF?:
[spoiler=Dark Flame Emmisary]
DARK
Level 9
Pyro/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 2 Monsters [of the same Type as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. As long as this card is in the Graveyard; This monster can attack twice during your next Battle Phase.
4600/2200
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Rockstone Caller]
EARTH
Level 5
Rock/Tuner:
Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned from your hand by offering 1 Monster [of the same Attribute as this card] on your side of the field as Tribute. When this monster declares an attack; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck.
3600/1600
[/spoiler]

Archived