League of Legends

Shrekstasy

I don't see why a lot of people have been playing Malph top/support lately. Sure, he can work, but is woefully outclassed by EVERYONE, and is usually a key instrument to our downfall.

A top laner that is good, safe, useful lategame, and easy to get would be Garen. Practice with him for a bit, learn when to R, know the good builds, and you can even carry late with him.

Malphite is much, much better than Garen lol. Garen has a mediocre laning phase, his late game is actually really really weak. He's not that useful.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malphite is much, much better than Garen lol. Garen has a mediocre laning phase, his late game is actually really really weak. He's not that useful.

Have you never used Garry?

Well, nothing Steam-related. It's just a silly build I have for him that makes him really fun to play. Can almost 1v1 Tryndamere, too.

But then also does Garen stuff, like being better to surprise people with right out of the brush.

^ I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, Garen. I've been playing him a bit, but apparently I've somehow figured out how to be bad at him...I keep getting rekt by my lane opponent. I've also been learning to jungle, which has been fun even though I'm not great at it. Nunu's a cool guy, and so is Lee, but he's fricking hard.

Garen's laning phase is relatively easy and effective, as poking your enemy laner down is easy with Q and E, you don't have to worry about mana, and stepping out for the passive has him recover. 'Course, you still have to play this combo smart, as with any champ.

By lategame, he should be one tanky SoB. He should preferably have Sunfire, Cleaver, Randuin's, and the like, letting him charge right into the middle of the enemy team to cause chaos. Like the said before, you should play smart about this, since you can't just AFK teamfight, but with enough items, he becomes too tanky to want to focus in a teamfight, but with Cleaver, E, and his Execute, he's too dangerous to ignore. He can also take burst pretty easily with his W. Quite the opposite of useless, I'd say.

That sounds like a recipe to die late game a lot.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but it sounds like a super silly fun thing to try in Normals sometime.

Garen's laning phase is relatively easy and effective, as poking your enemy laner down is easy with Q and E, you don't have to worry about mana, and stepping out for the passive has him recover. 'Course, you still have to play this combo smart, as with any champ.

By lategame, he should be one tanky SoB. He should preferably have Sunfire, Cleaver, Randuin's, and the like, letting him charge right into the middle of the enemy team to cause chaos. Like the said before, you should play smart about this, since you can't just AFK teamfight, but with enough items, he becomes too tanky to want to focus in a teamfight, but with Cleaver, E, and his Execute, he's too dangerous to ignore. He can also take burst pretty easily with his W. Quite the opposite of useless, I'd say.

He's super easy to kite around late game. The only people he can safely jump on late game is the front line, which isn't very effective. Current adcs and mid laners can kite him to hell and back and he will die. He doesn't provide anything for his team except being tanky where as other fighters like Renekton, Lee Sin, Jax, Shyvana all have better survivability, damage, engage, cc and mobility.

Garen is definitely a fun champ. I play him against certain champions or if I just want to have fun in a normal, but he is not very that useful late game.

He's super easy to kite around late game. The only people he can safely jump on late game is the front line, which isn't very effective. Current adcs and mid laners can kite him to hell and back and he will die. He doesn't provide anything for his team except being tanky where as other fighters like Renekton, Lee Sin, Jax, Shyvana all have better survivability, damage, engage, cc and mobility.

This is rather true, but all that means is that you have to play Garen a bit smarter. I was coming up with an example for in the middle of a teamfight, where having the ADC/APC run away instead of doing damage would be terribly ineffective. As such, they are normally easy to catch up to as Garen, and even if he/she escapes, you've probably attracted the attention of not only that carry, but also one or two other champions who are trying to peel, overall lessening the pressure on the rest of your team.

As an example, assuming there's another frontline or engager on my team, I normally wait a few seconds or get tricky with the terrain before going in, as immediately running towards a carry at the very START of a teamfight is a sure-fire way to get clubbed with CC and stuff.

Outside of a teamfight, I just try to get stuff like Flash or Heal out of carries, if I can. You know, try and catch them off guard and such. If that's not possible, I'll just skulk around, applying pressure to said carry and the area around it before moving out. Because, trust me, I know about how much people can kite nowadays. Though, sometimes, if a carry has no escapes left, it becomes an easy Q-E-R smackdown, which is always fun.

In terms of Garen, I actually went Garen bottom lane with my brother and he went Maokai.

I swear Maokai initiating on the ADC plus Garen's silence stopping escapes then spinning to win is really badass.

And in terms of IE/TF/Shiv making you easy to kill: you still have boots then two spots for situational use. The TF and Shiv make you really slippery anyway, so you're really only in danger if you're being overwhelmed by multiple people. That's why you don't charge in headfirst and let somebody else initiate (because Q>R assassinates anything squishy really well and you can outrun pretty much anything else anyway with Q).

That sounds about as dumb as the Gragas-Jax botlane my friend and I have tried. It sorta worked, too (at least after I stopped being the one to play Jax). 

I'll try Garen again (might even try an offensive build) in a few days, but I'm on vacation with spotty wifi access. Spin to Win with tons of AD sounds amazing, though.

The reason I level his Q though is because I like running fast and it crits while procing TF's Sheen and Shiv that can also crit. It outdamages Gangplank crits.

Though I kind of build them similarly now for some reason.

You'll get more damage maxing his E. His E can crit for each spin.

If anybody wants to play add me on NidaleeShotGG on NA or Akdong Musician on LAN

Archived