Deck Master Tournament [Congratulations to BrokenHeart15]

Yeah, I'll be making another sometime, I'm sure. And I've learned a lot from this tourney, too, for next time.

Like Gishki Emilia is abusable if you can use it as a material for Gigas, because it will simply bounce it to DM Zone in the End Phase.
Like Kaiser Sea Horse is too weak, despite the idea that a 2400 normal summon is bonkers. 500 drop was way too much.
Like Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Hawk and maybe Snake, because I REEEEALLY screwed up on Hawk and may have screwed up on Snake.
Like Dimension Wanderer should count as a Photon or Galaxy as a DM and it should be a Once per Turn burn x200, not twice x100.
Like Ancient Gear Soldier promotes PUSHPUSHPUUUUSH for game way too much, and should be toned down a bit if done again.
Like Sabersaurus being a vanilla that isn't in an archetype means it's a horrible DM choice >>

So I hope people have actually learned by trial and error as much as I have, because I can tell a good number of things I could have done better.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I pretty much hated my DM and simply used it for Overlay fuel or the push for game. It seemed like it was made to combo with Hysteric Party but since I never drew Hysteric party once in my any of my matches it just sat there. I was deeply saddened.

But I learned to live with it. I just wanted to squeeze as many of the harpy cards as I could in one build.

Like Sabersaurus being a vanilla that isn't in an archetype means it's a horrible DM choice >>

Well, My deck was just kinda Dino-Beat. I couldn't think of anything! I guess I could have picked Aeolo or something but eh. I thought It's effect would be archetype specific, and since only half my deck is Jurrac...Yeah.

2-1'd Chris. These were the first games I actually felt I was playing, actually. It was fun, thanks.

EDIT: Irony here. I can't relally explain why I felt I was actually playing, but yeah, it was kind of unbalanced here, thinking about it. It just felt more interactive than auto-win/lose since we actually traded blows...

And so the Swiss Rounds are over. The decks and their standings for the entire tournament will be revealed after the tourney ends, so for now:

1. AixDivadis with 3 Wins, 1 BYE, and a Tie Breaker of 3. His Deck Master was Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Snake

At the start your Standby Phase: Send all "Fire Formation" cards you control to the Graveyard. Draw 1 card. This is not optional if you control a "Fire Formation" card.

2. BrokenHeart15 with 3 Wins, 1 Loss, and a Tie Breaker of 5. His Deck Master was Armageddon Knight

Once per turn, when you Normal Summon a DARK monster: You can negate that monster's effect(s), if any, and send 1 DARK monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

3. Dwarven King with 3 Wins, 1 Loss, and a Tie Breaker of 5. A Loss to BrokenHeart15 cost him 2nd Place. His Deck Master was Ancient Gear Soldier

At the start of each of your Battle Phases: Select 1 monster you control; That monster must attack first, and your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

4. Mugendramon with 3 Wins, 1 Loss, and a Tiebreaker of 4. His Deck Master was Sishunder

Once per Duel: You can place 1 Lv. 4 Thunder-type monster in your Graveyard in the Deck Master Zone; That card becomes your Deck Master, then place this card on the field. You cannot place another Deck Master during the turn you use this Ability.

As such, the Semi-Final matches are:

BrokenHeart15 vs. Dwarven King

Mugendramon vs. Aix Divadis

Get your matches done ASAP. Due to the small amount of competitors in this round, you have until the 23rd unless an extension is required. There is no tying in this round, so whoever shows the most effort to duel their opponent will be the victor without contest, should the time limit not be met. Any stalling from either side will be dealt with swiftly and strongly.

That said, good luck. The Final Match will be planned for a certain time so that the whole of the community who wishes to watch may do so, if at all possible.

Also, please make sure that your opponent uses their Deck Masters properly. If their ability is mandatory, make sure they follow it. Otherwise, simply make sure the ablity is executed properly.

With that, good luck, and finish the round over with posthaste so that the finals may begin.

*Clears throat*

Despite recent issues with down time, I will NOT be extending the deadline for this round. Why? I said stalling would in no way be tolerated, yet there was blatant stalling. The semifinal duel of BrokenHeart15 vs. Dwarven King will be decided by me if it is not at least started in the next 2.5 hours.

And that's the end of the semifinals. The finals will be discussed with the participants for times they should be available so that this match can be announced to the public for viewing.

Your Finalists are BrokenHeart15 and Mugendramon.

Due to the fact that this will take some planning, Dwarven King may make a case to defend how he was not stalling if he belives he has enough grounds to do so. The Finals will not happen immediately, most likely, but I still stand by the fact that I said stalling would NOT be tolerated.

And that's the end of the semifinals. The finals will be discussed with the participants for times they should be available so that this match can be announced to the public for viewing.

Your Finalists are BrokenHeart15 and Mugendramon.

Due to the fact that this will take some planning, Dwarven King may make a case to defend how he was not stalling if he belives he has enough grounds to do so. The Finals will not happen immediately, most likely, but I still stand by the fact that I said stalling would NOT be tolerated.

I don't see how me not even being online when Broken was is stalling? Hell, I wasn't even on the internet for 24 hours, then logged on to find the site was down.

I do apologize that I choose to do other things aside from stare at my computer screen for 24 hours. And yes, this is my case. I have nothing riding on my participation. And even though I enjoyed playing, I'm not going to pointlessly argue with you. If you wish to give Broken the win, then so be it.

I don't see how me not even being online when Broken was is stalling? Hell, I wasn't even on the internet for 24 hours, then logged on to find the site was down.

I do apologize that I choose to do other things aside from stare at my computer screen for 24 hours. And yes, this is my case. I have nothing riding on my participation. And even though I enjoyed playing, I'm not going to pointlessly argue with you. If you wish to give Broken the win, then so be it.

Multiple factors led to this choice, all of which have been saved as screenshots in case I have a need for thim. I wouldn't hand off a win if one side didn't earn it for the side receiving it. In this case, you either just didn't care enough to treat your opponent with any sort of importance or you just stalled because you could. Either way, they don't exactly help a case to stay in. When you make an obligation, it's YOUR job to follow it through. You didn't and treated what was actually multiple opponents with disrespect in this fashion, so you got disqualified. This time you just happened to take it one further and just decided that not showing up for a day was okay, despite obligation to your opponent. That's all there is to it.

You just happen to stand out because of the fact that you're actually in the top 4, though people disappearing for a day or more without any explanation and refusing to stick around for so much as 5 minutes to see if their opponent was online or to explain why they weren't available at that time isn't sporting or fulfilling their obligation to participate or drop when unable to/lacking care to do so. Not even checking if the site was back before the deadline was over for over 2 hours just drives the point home for me, personally.

I could go more in depth, but you said you don't want to "fight". So there's the logic behind your disqualification as short and sweet as possible.

Multiple factors led to this choice, all of which have been saved as screenshots in case I have a need for thim. I wouldn't hand off a win if one side didn't earn it for the side receiving it. In this case, you either just didn't care enough to treat your opponent with any sort of importance or you just stalled because you could. Either way, they don't exactly help a case to stay in. When you make an obligation, it's YOUR job to follow it through. You didn't and treated what was actually multiple opponents with disrespect in this fashion, so you got disqualified. This time you just happened to take it one further and just decided that not showing up for a day was okay, despite obligation to your opponent. That's all there is to it.

You just happen to stand out because of the fact that you're actually in the top 4, though people disappearing for a day or more without any explanation and refusing to stick around for so much as 5 minutes to see if their opponent was online or to explain why they weren't available at that time isn't sporting or fulfilling their obligation to participate or drop when unable to/lacking care to do so. Not even checking if the site was back before the deadline was over for over 2 hours just drives the point home for me, personally.

I could go more in depth, but you said you don't want to "fight". So there's the logic behind your disqualification as short and sweet as possible.

Sorry, by no internet for 24 hours, I mean my internet was LITERALLY out. As in, no internet for me period. And congratulations, you have screenshots showing me sending a message and waiting for as long as I could, only to miss Broken by mere seconds. *applauds*

Also, do explain how I treated multiple opponents with disrespect? My duel with Striker was done within a reasonable time and we both enjoyed it. My duel with Mugen was done rather quickly as well. Though he didn't enjoy getting "sacked". Hell, my first time against Broken was even done rather quickly. The only duel that was rather hard to accomplish was my duel against Doodle. And that was because we are in COMPLETELY different timezones.

All of my duels were done in reasonable time, and I conducted each duel in a respectable manner, even agreeing when I "sacked" my opponent and telling them I wished it hadn't ended that way. I play this game for fun, not to be an ass.

In other words, just say you don't like me and end it. No need to make up these..."excuses".

And no, I don't want my match with Broken. I just don't want lies and slander said about me.

If I was acting on personal preference, I'd probably have disqualified Broken and moved on. Have you ever seen how I interact with him in any non-professional circumstance? It's not pretty at all, and it's something is rather like to avoid in any way possible. But that's not the right thing for a host to do, it's the host's job to remain as impartial as possible.

Losing internet is understandable, but you didn't clarify that. And you didn't "miss him by seconds". He was online at the time you PMd him that you "missed him", and replied less than 5 minutes later. You also looked at the PM about... 3-4 hours after that and offered no explanation for how you missed someone who was online at the time you said you missed them. The PMs shows that you in no way attempted to offer ramification for "missing" by popping up for a grand total of 3-4 minutes while your opponent was online.

I also removed names from one of your PMs with a past opponent and asked someone with no stock in the tourney which deserved the win if the deadline wasn't met. They said your replies came off as standoffish and stalling. I was even afraid I WAS being prejudiced, so I took an extra step to make sure you weren't cheated because I simply didn't want you in the top 4. I'm man enough to admit I dislike you, but that won't change how professional exchanges go.

I'm not spreading "lies and slander", I'm just telling it as the facts lay out. If the facts are showing something false, then you made all the wrong impressions with them. It's my job as a host to remove what appears to be riffraff and to keep things running smoothly. Do I root for people in my time away from the professional aspect? Yes, I do. It won't affect your standing in the professional aspect.

I apologize if you feel slighted or cheated, but I did what I could with the cards I was dealt and assessed the situation as best I could.

Archived