Fakemon Central

bury the year

Blu = genius

i also like the old vs. new. tying in the time travel scheme would further emphasize the gap between the ancient and modern. If a team were to be based on the ancient-favoring side, I could see them wanting to use the time travel to bring back the world's ancient roots.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it seems people really like the time traveling idea, I have a suggestion that we should intertwine it into the story. Basically, there will be points in which the character(s) must travel back to the past in order to accomplish something e.g. foil the villain team's scheme. To make things interesting, we will have two pokedexes. One for pokemons unique to this region that only existed in the past and one for the present (basically we'll split one pokedex into two and buff up each with official pokemons). We could also two sets of pokemon leagues (gym leaders, elite 4's, etc.) but you can only access the ancient league once you beat the modern league. Finally, to tie in with the professor, a machine that emulates dialga's (or a new legendary) time powers will be used for time traveling.

Excellent idea. The character got stuck in the present? maybe he can move forward by traveling to the past. There could be even geographical or natural obstacles such as a lake or river that prevents the character from reaching a Town/City (before obtaining Surf), but it is dried up in the past, or vice versa. Or perhaps the character could travel to the past to obtain certain HMs.

demiveemon, thank you ^^

Yeah, I actually proposed that the villain team's goal is to bring back the old world order as the leader is someone who hates changes (the professor has an opposite mindset of seeing change as a natural occurrence). Furthermore, I could imagine that at the final confrontation with the villain team's leader, it would take place in a fused form of both the ancient and modern versions of the region. By this time, the villain team is using the powers of the region's legendary pokemon to change the region back into its past so that's why it would look like a amalgamation of both old and new.

EDIT: Veno, yup, all great ideas to add into that :D

okay so everyone are fine with Greece being the main inspiration (though obviously the hellenic region could be incorporated to some extent). Are everyone also alright with the Ancient/Modern (or maybe preservation/change even) as the general theme for the fake generation?

I think everyone needs to hold their horses a bit so we can focus on one thing at the time (look at Omnis region on Tumblr please) so I'm just gonna set up a few things that could be of importance for us to vote on early.

1. How many timelines should there be? 
[ ] 2 - Ancient / Current [ ] 3 - Past / Present / Future

2. How many Pokedexes should there be?

[ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3 (this option can only be chosen if you have voted for 3 timelines)

3. Should there be a set theme for the starters?

[ ] Yes [ ] No

3.1 If yes, then what should they be based on?

- write your own suggestion

about theme for starters

This could be anything from wanting us to stick to classic themes that most or all pokemon games have stuck to (such as the fire type being related to a chinese zodiac, water types being amphibian creatures and grass types being based on ancient creatures or animals that have to do with 'evolution') to there being a common theme between all three starters (such as what they did in gen 6 where the starters were based on a 'class' commonly found in RPGs).

Copy the 'questionnaire' and place an x in the box for whatever alternative you like the best. If you don't like any of the options then please add your own option to the question. When these things have been voted upon we can start talking about things like what animal/thing the starters should be based on, what the professor is like, what kind of place the starting town is etc.

[x] 2 - Ancient / Current [ ] 3 - Past / Present / Future

[ ] 1 [x ] 2 [ ] 3 (this option can only be chosen if you have voted for 3 timelines)

[ ] Yes [ ] No [x] Impartial

My answer is impartial as far as "Should there be a set theme for the starters?". I don't think the starters need to necessarily be based on the fact that the region is Greece inspired, such as the fire starter being a cerebrus, the water starter being a kraken, and the grass starter being a chimera (I feel the aforementioned ideas should be reserved for legendaries/pseudolegendaries, anways). I wouldn't mind if the starters went along with how the Pokemon games have done it, the Chinese zodiac, etc. The general concensus of everyone else's opinions for the starters' theme is good enough for me.

This is all assuming that I am accepted, of course

[X ] 2 - Ancient / Current [ ] 3 - Past / Present / Future

[ ] 1 [ X] 2 [ ] 3 (this option can only be chosen if you have voted for 3 timelines)

[X ] Yes [ ] No

I am going to be a very big proponent of having everything stick with out Greek/Hellenic theme. So I am going to be advocating that the starters be based off of Greek mythical creatures or Greek demigods/heroes

I would prefer if the voting is done via a thread poll so this means Rinne would need to create it. Furthermore, we need some organizers so that when we do vote, the results can be collected and posted on the front page (I'm not so sure about having a tumblr on this as there are some things we need to discuss about first).

Anyways, I've noticed you included an option for a future timeline and a third pokedex. I'd have to argue against this because, with the theme and tentative story we have so far, it would seem the goal is to determine the future, itself. Either the future will be just like the past (if the villain team wins) or natural change continues (the good guys win) - the future is dependent on the winning side. So in this case, the future has yet to be determined and thus we can't go there. I can imagine the tagline being something along the lines of "To fight for the future, you have to look into the past!" (from the protagonists' perspective). As for starter themes, I, personally, think that should take a backseat for now considering we haven't even organize the story/theme information yet. And as we've discussed in the past pages, the professor would be pretty essential to the story because he's the inventor of the time traveling machine as well as symbolizing the idea of New/Modern/Change as opposed to the villain team.

I would assume that the present in financial crisis, right? Like Greece is at the moment. 

And I was just thinking that maybe the professor, while trying to create the time traveling device, receives a vision from the Legendary Pokemon of the main character defeating the evil organization. So, when the professor finds that such a child has recently moved in, he jumps on the chance to recruit him to fight off these rising terrorists. But, as a twist perhaps we can have the professor resent this child, as he feels that he has best served the will of the legend and should be the hero of the story, so we have the professor begrudgingly helping the hero along. Of course by the end the professor realizes that the main character is actually a good kid and there is happy endings all around.

Also, name of the region?

[x] 2 - Ancient / Current [ ] 3 - Past / Present / Future

[ ] 1 [x] 2 [ ] 3 (this option can only be chosen if you have voted for 3 timelines)

[x] Yes [ ] No

Stick with the classics.

We discussed about the financial crisis issue but we haven't arrived at a decision yet. I personally think we should have the region in a recovery state - gradually getting out of a financial crisis. The idea is that the villain team's leader believes the recovery to be too slow and that his method is the only way to restore the region to its true glory - its former glory. So basically his intentions is to help the region but he's going about it the wrong way. But if the region is still in a crisis, it would make his actions seem justifiable which isn't the intended goal considering he's the villain, not the hero. The good side believes instead of forcing the region to go back to the days of old, the best thing to do is to help it change - move forward instead of looking back.

We discussed about creating an RP around this region later on so the idea of having a single main character would be problematic. As for the professor's resentment, that would make him almost like the villain. He should be helping the characters because he believes in the idea of change and it shouldn't matter who helps that change occur. He shouldn't be selfish, believing himself to be the "chosen one" or something; that fits the villain better.

We've only discussed the name briefly but we mentioned using "Forra" derived from the Greek word Fora.

We discussed about the financial crisis issue but we haven't arrived at a decision yet. I personally think we should have the region in a recovery state - gradually getting out of a financial crisis. The idea is that the villain team's leader believes the recovery to be too slow and that his method is the only way to restore the region to its true glory - its former glory. So basically his intentions is to help the region but he's going about it the wrong way. But if the region is still in a crisis, it would make his actions seem justifiable which isn't the intended goal considering he's the villain, not the hero. The good side believes instead of forcing the region to go back to the days of old, the best thing to do is to help it change - move forward instead of looking back.

We discussed about creating an RP around this region later on so the idea of having a single main character would be problematic. As for the professor's resentment, that would make him almost like the villain. He should be helping the characters because he believes in the idea of change and it shouldn't matter who helps that change occur. He shouldn't be selfish, believing himself to be the "chosen one" or something; that fits the villain better.

We've only discussed the name briefly but we mentioned using "Forra" derived from the Greek word Fora.

I think the cut and dry 'the villain has to be like this' makes things boring. Of course being selfish is a trait usually suited for an antagonist, but it doesn't necessarily mean that a protagonist can't demonstrate it as well. Something that I have grown tired of is a hero that is always self righteous, that is always out for the good of everyone, and someone that is without fault. Adding depth to the character I think makes the region more interactive. The one destined hero thing can be adjusted for an RP, making it a group of people that are destined for something. You could even go so far as to make someone like the oracle of one of the legendaries(in Greek mythology we would probably turn towards Apollo's oracle, the Oracle of Delphi), but that seems a little out there even as I type it 

And that's why I suggested the villain be someone who's overall intention is for the good of the region and not just because he wants to rule the entire region or something. Hell, that's more depth than a lot of past pokemon villains if you think about it. Like I said, he's going on about it in the wrong way. But seeing as how this is pokemon we're talking about, he'll still need to be fought before he can realize the errors of his ways. As for the professor, himself, I still stick to my point that he shouldn't feel like he's the one to fix things. He should serve as a guide of sorts for the characters (in the RP). Thinking the other way would make him too similar to a villain, or at the least an anti-hero. Again, this is pokemon we're talking about. The story should have a stronger sense of simplicity as opposed to all these little complications in the characters; we shouldn't strive for a story that's overly complex or preachy either.

And that's why I suggested the villain be someone who's overall intention is for the good of the region and not just because he wants to rule the entire region or something. Hell, that's more depth than a lot of past pokemon villains if you think about it. Like I said, he's going on about it in the wrong way. But seeing as how this is pokemon we're talking about, he'll still need to be fought before he can realize the errors of his ways. As for the professor, himself, I still stick to my point that he shouldn't feel like he's the one to fix things. He should serve as a guide of sorts for the characters (in the RP). Thinking the other way would make him too similar to a villain, or at the least an anti-hero. Again, this is pokemon we're talking about. The story should have a stronger sense of simplicity as opposed to all these little complications in the characters; we shouldn't strive for a story that's overly complex or preachy either.

True enough, but for the sake of the argument, lol, I feel like a villain with good intentions has been done before. I mean we can see it in Pokemon even, Team Galactic was pretty much a PITA organization that was just trying to free enslaved animals...with more enslaved animals...but I mean they had decent intentions, they just didn't really think it through. But I agree that while Pokemon games should have a simplistic plot line(something that is both endearing and frustrating), I feel like if there is an RP the plot should be more interactive than that of a Pokemon game.

i agree with Blu that the professor should be a guide of sorts, as they always are. As far as the villian wanting to bring the region back to its 'glory days', how far back is that exactly?

Well my idea wasn't advocating for anything else. Even if he resented the main character, he obviously has faith in the Legendary and as such will do as asked. So while he is no longer the hero, he, begrudgingly, helps the main character along. But it seems as if it is generally thought that it is a bad idea to give the professor any dark attributes, so I'm fine with him being a good natured inventor. 

demiveemon, hmm, I thinking we could take this back to a really old time like an Ancient Greece-esque timeline. This would involve some restrictions for the characters naturally like maybe having to wear clothes from the past and having to not use pokeballs and such.

Renegade, do you mean Team Plasma? I don't think Team Galactic ever had that goal. And even then, Team Plasma was actually a roused by Ghetsis who did wanted to rule the entire Unova region. In fact, didn't he established a new Team Plasma for that purpose in Black 2/White 2? As for the RP, the story can have various layers added on but the layers should still be representative of how the Pokemon series really is. So I have no arguments about making a more content-rich story, just not one that is overly complicated with some kind of vast lore or something.

demiveemon, hmm, I thinking we could take this back to a really old time like an Ancient Greece-esque timeline. This would involve some restrictions for the characters naturally like maybe having to wear clothes from the past and having to not use pokeballs and such.

Renegade, do you mean Team Plasma? I don't think Team Galactic ever had that goal. And even then, Team Plasma was actually a roused by Ghetsis who did wanted to rule the entire Unova region. In fact, didn't he established a new Team Plasma for that purpose in Black 2/White 2? As for the RP, the story can have various layers added on but the layers should still be representative of how the Pokemon series really is. So I have no arguments about making a more content-rich story, just not one that is overly complicated with some kind of vast lore or something.

Yes I did mean, Team Plasma, was a bit mixed up there for a moment. And that's fine not wanting a vast lore, but I think we should also remind ourselves that we are creating an entire 'world'...okay really country put into an already existing world, but you know, so there is going to be a lot in depth planning going on there

Renegade, yup, I'm not arguing with you on that; just making sure that since we're creating a new region, we should have the mindset of staying true to the source material.

EDIT: demiveemon, exactly why the villain thinks he should bring it back to that time. But he's doing it in a literal sense. But Ancient Greece was even way before the Renaissance Era.

Blu, ohhhh. I suck at history. Anyway, sounds good to me. So, since we have a solid idea that the villian will bring the region to ancient ways/time I suppose we should talk about how exactly the villian's bringing back the ancient ways/time. Whether it be Dialga, or another Fakemon with the power to control time. I personally don't think another Pokemon needs to be created that has the same control of time that Dialga already has.

It would make a lot of sense for an antagonist to be wanting to take it back to the antique era. Greece was really well off back then (especially if it's during Alexander the Great's time) and would probably be considered what we today call a 'super power'. I think we should definitely play on more things than just the economy for why they might want to take the region back to the past though, it would just be good if they have more arguments for why they are actively working to make that happen. I've already suggested pollution as a possible thing, as this is something that wouldn't be an issue in the past, or at least not in the same way or as much of an issue. 

Going back would of course introduce lots of new game mechanics as pretty much everything we know about Pokemon wouldn't exist in such an era. No pokedex, no pokeballs, different clothes, no fancy gadgets etc. If things as pollution is used as an additional plot point or whatever it could also cause 'ancient' forms of certain pokemon to have a completely different typing combination than those found in present day as well as letting the player be able to obtain pokemon that have gone extinct in the present day (this could of course be due to other things such as extensive hunting or just natural selection).

Yeah would be neat with a proper poll, however, back when I did the polls on the fauxkemon thread the polls glitched out after you had used them once (it still accounted for any results of previous polls, even if these had been deleted and the new polls were unrelated). It might be better to use an external website to make polls. The reason to why I included the starters was so that we could start to design some fakemon. As long as we have a general idea for the plot we can always return to it when other info (such as info about professor(s) etc.) has been added. Also, by creating some Pokemon and stuff we might even get ideas for things we might want to include in the plot/world building.

This is where some thinking and research really needs to be done. I know that Dialga can control time but Celebi also has time-related powers. And I really think we should have new legendary pokes play into the story as well. So for me, I say we should make a new legendary but I'll have to research some things first before just throwing out an idea.

Master Red, while I don't mind pollution playing a part in the villian's motives as well, I don't think the whole idea that some pokemon have alternate typing and such due to pollution should be used. The thing about Ancient Forms can be discussed further but keep in mind that we can already have Mega Evolutions and two pokedexes for this region so that could be too much. If we've finally decided on a general plot premise and themes, we can definitely get started about fakemons. Now, since the player would naturally start off in the present, we should only have three starters including for both pokedexes.

EDIT: Crap, sorry for the double post, I thought it would get put into my previous post as well.

Myths that could be connected to time travel

Ananke - Personification of Destiny, Necessity and Fate
Chronos - Personification of Time

Mnemosyne - Titaness of Memory and Rememberance
Rhea - Titaness of Female Fertility, Motherhood and Generation

EDIT:

'ancient form' was just the word I used to group together any alterations a certain pokemon which might be found in both timelines could have. A different typing could be an example but then we'd also have pokemon that only exists in the past because they've died out (just as some pokemon will only exist in the present as they are man made). It's true that we have megas too, was just a possible suggestion as I think pollution would definitely be a selling point for anyone arguing that the world was a better place in the past :)

Something stuck out to me when someone mentioned Alexander the Great and how Greece was prosperous during this time. What if the main villain is descended from an ancient king of the region, and thus he believes he is entitled to rule as well. That way we through in the villainous attribute of wanting to rule, as well as having the 'I just want to better the world' motive. 

Archived