Christmas Numbers Tournament [Shut Down; To be Rebalanced by MARCH]

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er, I meant more in PMs, but sure. Just get a time set up with evilfusion.

Though, considerign you're probably not the only one... Everyone can feel free to do their next rounds whenever. The deadlines will remain, but please prioritize getting your matches done.

After losing game one, Chris was able to decide to go first!

Both players drew 5 cards and Chris started the duel off.  He played Lonefire Blossom, which he then tributes with its own effect to summon Silvan Spiritree Regia.  Chris then sets four spells or traps (because Heavy Storm was banned) and passes.

Dave opened his move by summoning Chronomaly Nebra Disk and used it’s effect to search out the field spell Chronomaly City Babylon.  Dave then set four of his own cards and ended his turn.

Immediately after Chris drew his card in his Draw Phase, Dave activated Compulsory Evacuation Device to return the Spiritree to Chris’ hand and preventing it’s effect.  This effect resolved without Chris activating any of his set cards.

Chris then activates his set Foolish Burial to send Dandylion to the Graveyard, netting him two tokens.  He followed this up with Crane Crane to bring back Dandylion, but Dave was prepared and activated his set Torrential Tribute to destroyed all the monsters on the field.  Because of Dandylion, Chris emerged from this play with two tokens remaining on the field.  Chris was forced to end his turn, having already Normal Summoned.

Dave begun his turn by playing the Chronomaly City Babylon he had searched earlier, however Chris immediately responded with a set Mystical Space Typhoon to stop any plays before they could happen.  No doubt he did this to prevent Dave from summoning a Chronomaly Tuna Guardian from his hand and going into a Rank 5 Xyz, since Dave couldn’t actually make use of the field spells effect having only a single Chronomaly in the Graveyard.  Dave was forced to set a card then end his turn.

Chris opened his turn by activating a set Miracle Fertilizer.  (The state of mind created by banning Heavy Storm is very clear in this game, with Chris setting a great number of spells that couldn’t even be activated on his opponents turn.  In a different format, a card like Black Rose Dragon may have averted such plays.)  The target for Miracle Fertilizer was Lonefire Blossom and Dave decided to chain his own Mystical Space Typhoon, preventing Miracle Fertilizer from resolving.  This forced Chris to end his turn.

Dave drew and immediately played Star Drawing (despite his other card being likely Tuna Guardian) and used it to destroy one of Chris’s Dandylion Tokens.  Then during the Battle Phase he played Call of the Haunted to revive Chronomaly Nebra Disk which then attacked the other Dandylion Token.  Chris activated Mirror Force which destroyed both of Dave’s monsters.  In this shows the cleverness of Dave.  Dave waiting to use Call of the Haunted in fear of Mirror Force because if Chris used Mirror Force on his Star Drawing, he would destroy a token and get a monster and if Chris waited and used Mirror Force on Nebra Disk, there would still be one less token.  With both his monsters gone, Dave had to end his turn.

Chris started off his turn by played the field spell Sacred Sylvan Peak and using it’s effect, discard the Regia he had in hand to place Sylvan Peaskeeper on top of his deck.  Then he Normal Summoned Sylvan Leaflow, hoping to use it to get off Peaskeeper’s effect, but then Dave activated Solemn Warning to negate Leaflow’s summon.  Chris was forced to end his turn at this.

Chris: 8000

Dave: 6000

Dave set a single card and advanced to his End Phase where the Sylvan Peak activated.  This effect revealed the Peaskeeper from the top of Chris’ deck that it had placed there the previous turn.  Then Peaskeeper was able to summon Lonefire Blossom and with that Dave’s turn was over.

Chris began his turn and immediately Dave activated Breakthrough Skill to target Lonefire Blossom, neutralizing it before it was an issue.  Chris then responded by using the effect of his field spell, Sylvan Peak, to discard another Regia and place another Peaskeeper on top of his deck.  He then set his final card and ended his turn.

Dave did not make any moves on his turn, but in the End Phase, Sylvan Peak activated, excavating the Peaskeeper it had placed there which allowed Chris to Summon Dandylion to his field.  Then Dave was able to end his turn.

Chris drew, then used the effect of Lonefire Blossom to tribute his remaining Fluff Token and summon a Sylvan Spiritree Regia from his deck.  Chris then used Sylvan Peak to send his face up Lonefire Blossom to the Graveyard to place Peaskeeper on top of his deck.  This time he was able to immediately utilize Peaskeeper by sending it straight to the Graveyard with Spiritree Regia’s effect.  This let him draw a card and special summon Lonefire Blossom right back to the field.  After a moment of thinking, Chris tributes Dandylion with Lonefire Blossom’s effect to summon 2 Fluff Tokens and another Lonefire Blossom from his deck.  Then he used the second Lonefire Blossom to tribute the first and summon Spore from his deck.  He then attacked with his only attack position monster, Sylvan Spiritree Regia, for 2700 damage.  In his Main Phase 2 he set a single card and ended his turn.

Dave: 3300

Dave opened his turn by Special Summoning Chronomaly Tula Guardian from his hand thanks to Chris’ field spell.  With a face-up Tula Guardian he was able to Special Summon Chronomaly Moai and overlay to summon Tiras, Keeper of Genesis.  He then used this new Tiras to destroy Spore in the Battle Phase and used the Tiras effect to destroy Spiritree Regia.  In his End Phase, Tiras detached a material, leaving it with only one and then Sylvan Peak activated revealing Sylvan Treefender Oark who let him return Sylvan Spiritree Regia to the top of his deck. With this, Dave’s turn was over.

Chris drew a card and activated Lonefire Blossom’s effect to tribute a Fluff Token and Special Summon a Treefender Oark from his deck.  Chris then banished the Treefender Oark in his Graveyard to summon Spore and then Synchro Summoned Crimson Blader with a combination of Spore and a Fluff Token. Crimson Blader destroyed Tiras and Treefender attacked directly.  Chris then set a monster and ended his turn.  

Dave: 700

Dave drew his card and seeing it, scooped.  With this Chris showed the power of his Sylvan deck!  The matched moved into game 3 where ultimately Chris emerged victorious.  Thanks for reading!

I think the only annoying thing about reading that is that the turn where I had Lonefire and Dandy out I could have just won and realised exactly how to right after I missplayed, but oh well.

Also, who plays around BRD against Chronomalies anyway? I mean sure, if he has it and can make it he wins, but the chances of that are so slim that the tactical advantage shifts towards me with 4 backrows.

I think the only annoying thing about reading that is that the turn where I had Lonefire and Dandy out I could have just won and realised exactly how to right after I missplayed, but oh well.

Also, who plays around BRD against Chronomalies anyway? I mean sure, if he has it and can make it he wins, but the chances of that are so slim that the tactical advantage shifts towards me with 4 backrows.

Didn't I make clear people play BRD in other formats?

Archived