• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going mad am I?

Why would like 5 seconds of effort to swap a card around in a sleeve be a reason for why a mechanic is silly? It's not like it's demanding much...

Also there's precedence for double sided cards working as a mechanic in other TCG's just to say. So it's not entirely dumb as an idea.

Its because tournaments are dum as is in terms of time. People have always been trying to abuse it to their advantage. This will just further enhance it by "fake-struggling" to get the card out and flip it.

That would work, but the material sleeves are made out of wouldn't allow that without reducing the quality of the sleeve.

Decent quality clear sleeves exist already. They aren't as good as coloured ones but they would still get the job done for possible double-sided cards.

Looking at the name of the mechanic and the advertising poster for Arc V with Yuya, and the look of his two monsters, my guess is similar to Kano's about two monsters that reside in the extra deck and either can be summoned by X means, but from there said Pendulum monster A can swap back and forth with designated Pendulum monster B and back, by returning one to the Extra Deck to summon the other at X designated time/condition/etc. Like Gladiator Beasts more than anything.

Obviously these will be more powerful than Synchros and Xyz, given the power creep of the game and it's in Konami's interests to want to shift the game towards people using them to make their cut, at the expense of having to commit two monsters to your extra deck for every pair of Pendulum monsters.

Just my thoughts, irrelevant as they are.

Here's part of why double-sided cards can't be a thing:

You would need to have your Extra Deck sleeves be different from the Main Deck ones. It goes against other mechanics in the game, like flipping a monster face-down with Book of Moon, not being able to shuffle different cards face-down with effects like "Wandering Mummy", which as pointlessly irrelevant as they are, it's still something that has to be honored by the game. It's part of why people are given the same sleeves at world's, to keep the conditions of the game of having all back sides equal regardless of card protection, for the sake of details along those lines.

That said, flipping them back and forth would also not cut it. We have some potential expensive releases in this game along with cards that get worn down stupidly easily. Now designing a mechanic where you are forced to keep taking it in and out of the sleeve constantly just sounds inconvenient. It sounds reasonable and easy enough for a casual environment, but it can be a headache at tournaments.

The most reasonable idea is to have it represented in multiple cards. That'd actually open up the possibilities for making more cards, and giving the main character their Utopia-like boss turn into different monsters. Because you know, a pendulum doesn't always just move back and forth, if you let one constantly moving with no guides, it'll gradually shift it's swinging angle and make a full 360 degree trip everyday, Using that idea, I think 12 Levels = 12 hours = 12 angles (30 degrees each) = different sizes, will be something potentially implemented in some way.

TECHNICALLY double-sided cards can be a thing, it's just the whole issue of sleeves which would be the deciding factor.
I mean, it's like how Xyz monsters have a Rank, and anything Level related cannot be used on/with/to interact/etc with them. So double-sided cards cold be a thing, but you couldn't Set/Book of Moon/etc them. Now the issue here, is the fact they would need their own deck/etc, because they would have to be considered completely new assets, because they have their own little mechanics/gimmicks/etc to them all on their own, much like how Xyz monsters do. So really, if they DID add double-sided cards, they would need to make another zone for them, and then figure out how to integrate such a thing.

They can. They can do anything, but that doesn't change that it would be inconvenient.

The most successful "flip it back" idea is probably from My Little Pony, and that's an entirely different kind of card from the rest.

I could see double-sided cards, but not double-sided monsters. Although slight new technicalities like what happened with Xyzs and "Ranks" could alter the mechanic of monsters a bit, but double-sided ones just interfere a lot more with the concept.

There's the "Token monsters can't be flipped down, and aren't treated as cards" weirdness, but that's just something that had to happen, and was introduced very early in the game when they didn't have as clear of an idea about their long-term goals and such. I doubt they'll get something so "not very smooth", for saying it in some way.

I think I prefer 2 cards in the Main Deck to 1 card in the extra/new zone, or 2 cards in the extra for that matter. Main Deck deserves a new mechanic.

Definitely.

People, before bringing up the new next stage of the game, step back a little bit and realize you are already playing with 3 piles of Decks (Main, Side, and Extra), which already is very out there considering most other TCGs out there only need 1. The idea of making a "new sort of Deck zone" just because the Extra Deck has become the way it is, it just doesn't feel right. Think about potential new players when you tell them you need 4 decks to play Yugioh.

The first one (Main Deck) is just for your backrow and means of getting your second one (Extra Deck).

The third one (Side Deck) is made because there's a ton of really really bad match-ups that make for inherent disadvantages that need to be compensated, so a ton of potential decks out there can just auto-lose for something other than "more power-creeped deck". OR you can just screw up specific decks with it, your choice.

Then a fourth for what the..... ? No, just no. There's a limit to how much complexity you can add to a game before it becomes dumb, unappealing, and needlessly complicated for outsiders that could otherwise be your future customers.

The most successful "flip it back" idea is probably from My Little Pony, and that's an entirely different kind of card from the rest.

That's only really because MLP's TCG is like bizarro Pokemon, in the sense that you have starter Pokemon, then do stuff with said card by adding more to it. Plus, in a TCG where the back side of specific cards won't matter, they are free to do whatever they see fit with them.
It's also like how Pokemon's TCG has Legend cards that require you to play both at once, in order to form the whole card:
Ho-OhLEGENDHeartGoldSoulSilver111.jpg
Which, in and of itself, is similar to Duel Masters' God Link mechanic:
Dm24-13.jpgDm24-15.jpg
The difference here, being that both cards can function both in and out of said Link, then do something much different when they are linked.
So really, we mostly just have to wait and see what happens, as far as potential mechanics go.

So?  It could be like a transformation form.  I mean, it's kinda obvious.

Synchro's and Xyz's were kind like Contact Fusion and Rituals combined (the Synchro's were more apparent in that regard), so it could be like that. But I've got a feeling it'll be something like LV Monsters + Transformation Summon. A1 Monster does B condition and replaces self with A2 version, who can return self for A1 with C condition. They'd have contrasting effects (like how Inti does damage and Quilla heals) and probably have a condition that wouldn't let the other one be on the field.

Why don't we just laminate our cards?
Degrades the ever living hell out of the quality of them, but you never have to worry about spilling anything on them.

I did this with my old Duel Masters cards when I was a kid. Regret it now. That sh!t is worth a fortune now. I could have raked in 2000 or so bucks now if I didn't laminate them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to recall back if the teasers about synchro and Xyz, that they referred them as monster or Summonings first before all come to light? From this one, it  just said pendulum summon. I could think it's an summon mechanic being introduced than monsters but I might be reading too much into it. 

Archived