• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

inb4lock as we know nothing except what the mechanic is called.

OT: With nothing to go on, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that the monsters will have two "forms" or something that they continuously shift back and forth from. Well, it'd be pretty cool to have bipolar monsters.

Bipolar monsters certainly would have some interesting flavour.

I think Arc Summon sounded way cooler, and was also easier to write.

What intrigues me the most is how the game will change this time around. I thought Crystal Beasts and Gladiator Beasts were plenty powerful and that destruction was rampart enough. Then Synchros happened. After that I thought Synchros were already overkill for the game, and with cards like Quasar being able to be done in one turn, where else could they go? So Konami released Xyzs and the power of the game overall is a lot higher than during the Synchro era. So what's next?

Have known that piece of news for a while, but I still don't think it was right to open up a discussion just yet. There's no ground for us to stand on. Only endless speculation.

What conditions can there be?

Synchros = Add Levels

Xyzs = Overlap pairs of Levels

Pendulum = Huh....

Maybe they would make this more varied than just one way, and will get pretty chaotic from cards asking you to "Tribute 2 WATER" to "When a Level 9 monster is destroyed" or outlandish things like that.... but going that way, they'd just run out of things to do for some other generation after this, and that wouldn't be a good idea if they want to keep the ball rolling.

I thought maybe consecutive levels like "1 and 3 have a 2 in the middle", but that's stupid for border Levels 1 and 12. So maybe it'd be like "I have 2 and 3, so I can go 4 or 1 because they are consecutive", which sounds iffy at best but hey, new mechanic needs to be easier right?

Maybe it won't have Levels incorporated in it, and will just give you the ease of for example a DARK Fiend needing a DARK + a Fiend. In which case you'd wonder why aren't Fusions like this already.

The mechanic could also be about equal ATK stats, but that'd greatly limit the mechanic's ability to give you a beater when you need it, not to mention discriminating DEF stats.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore.

Any ideas?

Double sided cards really aren't hard to do... I mean, they can have a essentially index card so that the card can be used in a non sleeved deck, and it allows for a really expansive mechanic with tonnes of variety. I mean, even just the trigger to flip the cards could be radically different from one card to another.

It kinda makes sense in a way.

Maybe cards that can be flipped upside-down for a different effect?

idk if YGO cards are big enough to hold that though

Double-sided cards would be more silly with sleeves because you'd then have to take the card out of the sleeve and change sides.

It could be worked around probably. Maybe ~~Konami sanctioned~~ sleeves for them or some shit.

Every TCG that has done this has gone and said that the idea of two sided cards is silly anyway, so I doubt Konami will waste time on something other TCGs have done and failed. Xyz were riding on the concepts of TCGs using overlays, so expect something similar I reckon

Maybe it has some sort of "move back" mechanic.

MLP does the "pay cost and friend moves back home from attending the problem", CFV has the "I move my card back/front", Pokemon TCG has the "retreat to the bench and choose another pokemon".

I have no idea what kind of interesting applications could they do with a Senet-like mechanic in Yugioh, especially when they already kinda failed when they made the original Senet cards. Regardless, moving back and forth is what a pendulum does, so maybe I could be surprised.

Based on the tiny bit of information we have, I am of the opinion it will involve two monsters switching back and forth at determined intervals. Maybe different lengths of time as one or the other for each pair.

Double sided cards, while not outlandish, are improbable due to card sleeves, as Konami is hopefully aware that while it really isnt a massive deal, it would be tedious to take the cards from the sleeves to flip them over.

I would be interested to see two-sided cards in the form of being split down the middle on the face of the card, but that leaves less room for art/stats/name/etc, so more unlikely than double-sided cards.

So, assuming we are correct that pendulum summoning will involve two or more forms of a monster or multiple monsters switching places, etc., multiple cards are more likely. Something like this?:

• 2+ monster cards, possibly a new color/frame design
  • Both must be in hand to Summon
  • Both have the same summon condition written on them
  • Cannot control both at once
  • After set number of phases/turns or maybe even just a specific event occurring, they are sent back to the hand, and the opposite/next replaces it.
  • Perhaps all Pendulum monsters are limited by default, making it more difficult to make the pair. (Just an IMO there, less speculation and more what I would like to see)

Just my small collection of what I have gathered as the most agreed upon and likely from the next to no information we have. In all likelihood not true at all, but this is a speculative thread.

Archived