YCM: How Our Society Is Messed Up And How It Can Be Fixed

Nathanael D. Striker

Does anyone here actually remember me back when I entered as Kenta the Forbidden One? Because back then I was the typical noob. I had no knowledge on the game. I acted stupid. I didn't care what I looked like - simply jumping around the place without a single thought. Everyone hated me back then. And really, I deserved it.

Except I learnt. It eventually came to me that YCM was the same as real life, and that you needed to blend into the flow of the society to make your own respected space. I took critisism, gradually altered my character; learnt how to make comments that make me look smart, when in fact I'm not. Obtaining competitive skills on the game helped me take a seat in the TCG section, and when I realized, somehow I was suddenly in the center of this gigantic cult, respected for no real apparent reason.

Coming from my experience, anyone can become popular in the internet, as long as he/she wishes to learn. Those who are hated are hated because they don't know how to accept, and people like those will be isolated in virtually any community, really. There is absolutely no problem with how YCM, or the internet itself for that matter, tends to treat noobs.

Nice to see you around again.

And we all most of us start noobish. Back when I joined, anything that people from the TCG section said sounded mean to me, and I reacted accordingly, knowing nothing of the meta, and wondering what kind of card this "TeleDAD" was that people kept talking about in that one thread of a custom card.

I wasn't even familiar with the internet tendency of abbreviating words for everything.

It's hard to not put myself in the new members' shoes at times because of this past. 

Even the ones that look noobish can eventually smack out of it and turn out pretty decent members.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you sincerely find no intelligence in the community? If you had properly read anything in this topic, it would be very easy for your overly-cynical mindset to be debunked like the delusion it is. Many people here are not idiots. Armz isn't, Evilfusion isn't, TGM honestly isn't, Sleepo isn't, Crouton is smart, too, Striker is more of depressed than idiotic, Aix isn't an idiot, eiter.

WAIT WAIT YOU JUST FORGOT ABOUT ME RIGHT?

YOU DON'T THINK I'M WORSE THAN TGM OR AIX OR SOMETHING RIGHT?

Here is how to survive YCM.

• Join the site
  • Don't give a s*** about everyone else
  • Have fun
  • Get into Graphic Design to make yourself seem cool.

EZ

have a nice gif sig too don't forget it's a classic

Coming from my experience, anyone can become popular in the internet, as long as he/she wishes to learn. Those who are hated are hated because they don't know how to accept, and people like those will be isolated in virtually any community, really. There is absolutely no problem with how YCM, or the internet itself for that matter, tends to treat noobs.

To be fair, though, sometimes depends on where you go, and what your doing.
GTM, this other site I go to, it hardly does anything on a more realistic matter, outside of just shenanigans in the Playground(The site's off-topic section, btw).
So it's not like it's rocket science to fit in there, as long as you can just post stuff you find on either Reddit or Funnyjunk and act like your married to Miku Hatsune(w/e)

But yea, in general, if your just 'different' from the norm, then it might take longer for someone to fit in.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7205300

I agree with the first three though.

Because Graphic Design is a skill that requires talent, not to mention it's an asset that can be used in real life. 

Don't think anyone gives a fuck, nor finds it the least bit impressive that you can steal art off of DA, paste it onto a template you didn't make, and type a couple of sentences. 

Because Graphic Design is a skill that requires talent, not to mention it's an asset that can be used in real life. 

Don't think anyone gives a f***, nor finds it the least bit impressive that you can steal art off of DA, paste it onto a template you didn't make, and type a couple of sentences. 

m8 it was complete sarcasm

D=

I know and respect that GD takes skill.

I knew that sarcasm would be hard to see in what I was saying so I added the RC thing which is obv bull crap

I'm stupid, not completely retarded

m8 it was complete sarcasm

D=

I know and respect that GD takes skill.

I knew that sarcasm would be hard to see in what I was saying so I added the RC thing which is obv bull crap

I'm stupid, not completely retarded

One does not simply joke about Graphic Design. 

You've been disowned, it's over m8. 

• 2 weeks later...

One does not simply joke about Graphic Design.

Oh how absurd this is from behind the curtain...

I'm certain many, if not all people who use the Graphics Design section on this forum would be better off going elsewhere more popular and dedicated to Graphics Design if they were as "serious" as you say.

OT: I've a very Aristotelian approach to YCM - reap what you sow. It is really as simple as that, for me at least.

Oh how absurd this is from behind the curtain...

I'm certain many, if not all people who use the Graphics Design section on this forum would be better off going elsewhere more popular and dedicated to Graphics Design if they were as "serious" as you say.

OT: I've a very Aristotelian approach to YCM - reap what you sow. It is really as simple as that, for me at least.

Same can be said about anime/manga sections, role playing, creative writing, music, literature, and a ton of topics at general, etc.

Truth is, some people like this place and are used to being here. It doesn't make the work any less serious, and you can never assume this is the only site they are at. For all one knows they could also be in those other "more serious" sites.

Just a thought that came to mind.

We're all here because we do or at some point did like yugioh, what goes on in the off-topic sections of the forum is irrelevant to the point of this thread.

Just something that came to mind over the last page or 2.

I think some people have no freaking idea or cares in the world what Yugioh is. They are some of the best people on the site.

Same can be said about anime/manga sections, role playing, creative writing, music, literature, and a ton of topics at general, etc.
Truth is, some people like this place and are used to being here. It doesn't make the work any less serious, and you can never assume this is the only site they are at. For all one knows they could also be in those other "more serious" sites.

Just a thought that came to mind.

That is all well and good, however when one makes reference to using these skills in later life, there's a clear misstep being taken when staying here rather than going somewhere that could make better use of those skills. That, and I've seen no evidence of any other section being able to be used in "later life."

Archived