YCM: How Our Society Is Messed Up And How It Can Be Fixed

Nathanael D. Striker

Not gonna lie Striker I was able to read only half before you started sounding like a villain with a just cause.

You all are looking in too hard at all this. This is just a meeting place for various hobbies and other activities, so naturally we will form into our own cliques. I'm sure nobody would give a damn if someone like Fuse posted in TCG because that's simply not the clique he hangs out in. I'm not saying that there isn't any elitism or anything, but this is just the sort of elitism that you'd expect from any group of people this diverse. Literally every single forum operates very similarly, so the fault doesn't lie with us, but rather with how humanity operates as a whole. Worst case scenario you end up with my kind of reputation, which is none xD. Anybody who seriously lets this get to them needs to calm dawn, drink some strawberry milk, and try to sooth their butthurt.

I agree. People who let idiots get to them are the real idiots.

Though I disagree with the bold.

Elitists and Undesirables exist for different reasons. Honestly, I would kind of hate it if I was seen as elite. And I know some people fear being rejected, So in a way these "classes" of people are just for people to avoid something they dislike.

That doesn't mean that there aren't freaking noobs on this site though. Notice how they all create cards though.

So, in a just world, their would only be "those who make cards" and "cool people"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happens if they're left alone or have somebody to vent to?

Regardless of the above question, it is still not exactly good to act aggressive with somebody as volatile as whoever we might betalking about. If you see somebody being picked on by others, it is not exactly a showing of the victim's personality if they're flustered compared to how much it shows about the people willing to team up on somebody who is obviously distressed.

I think it falls on two people here.

The person who is "bullying" another often just enjoys being aggressive or dominating the weak.

The weak are too...weak to do something about it. They don't realize that continuing to post is only making them look more stupid. They should take it upon themselves to dominate or leave, whichever one they want. 

I also wish more people understood the "friendly" aggressive. YCM would both be better and more boring if people just excepted that most of us are a rowdy bunch. Not saying we should reject the quiet either, though.

So how do we deal with people like Thar, who are incredibly in-your-face with their trolling, and do not let you ignore them?

You are posting in HIS status, continuing to TALK TO HIM, and acting like POUTING will get anything done.

Thar is not PMing you, flaming you, or attacking you. He is simply using what you give him. And sharing the joy to all of us who enjoy stuff like that. =P

We seriously need to teach people how to ignore people....I mean I'm pretty sure there is a tab while editing our profile that says "manage ignored users" helping you keep a list of all of those you don't like for you. =D

ZNUvuhj.png?1

See, it's easy and I just added Maxxion to the list to see how it worked

=P

Of course I'll be taking him off of it, but still

We seriously need to teach people how to ignore people....I mean I'm pretty sure there is a tab while editing our profile that says "manage ignored users" helping you keep a list of all of those you don't like for you. =D

It's more a matter of actually stop caring about what they say. The opinions of those who don't matter do you shouldn't matter to you. Have you learned nothing from Kill La Kill? :p

ZNUvuhj.png?1

See, it's easy and I just added Maxxion to the list to see how it worked

=P

Of course I'll be taking him off of it, but still

JESUS MAN

COVER THAT SHIT UP

YOUR BLOCKED MEMBER LIST IS LIKE YOUR DICK MAN. WAY TO SHORT AND NEEDS TO BE SEEN LESS.

It's more a matter of actually stop caring about what they say. The opinions of those who don't matter do you shouldn't matter to you. Have you guys learned nothing from Kill La Kill?

I haven't watched Kill La Kill.

And I know but I'm giving a solution that's kinda silly while kind of legit

We really do need to be able to ignore others.

I'm gonna disagree here.  "Just get over it," is a poor excuse for taking the piss out of people.   You can't (for sake of example) call someone a twat and then tell them they shouldn't care what people say about them.  

I know I'm an idealistic moron, but I do believe that we should try to make a bit of an effort to be nice to people. 

I don't really believe in the concept of elitism at YCM.

I've seen people that were previously picked on so badly (I.E. Shard, Kingdom Neos, etc) being left alone and eventually become an active part of the site.

There is no "unforgiving" part in here, and we all have made stupid comments at least a couple hundred times in this site. I started out awful here myself back in 2008.

Remember what YCM is in it's core. It's a community that organizes itself to discuss specific topics. Be it Yugioh or any other card game, be it anime, etc.

When someone is picked on, it's usually not an issue with the person but with the subject. Sometimes it's just a disagreement, sometimes that member is just contradicting something so regarded as true that people look down on their view in general. 

The best you can do is try to really get focused on what you like to talk about. The site does have aggressive people, but you can't even let yourself feel dominated. As harsh as a reply sounds at times, you have to always take a step back and see when something makes more sense. If those aggressive users start attacking you as an individual, what you have to do is report them since there IS law enforcement in the form of mods. If not, maybe you are just being stuck up in your pedestal and need to be more objective.

I particularly don't care about social position in this site. Members come and go a lot, so if you worry too much about it, you'll see how in a couple of years no one will remember you anyways. There was this LiAM user from back when I was new that said to have worked real hard for a few years to build a reputation, then got absent for a while and upon coming back no one cared.

You'll also be happier if you don't concentrate on social status. Social status is really easy:

You try to be a good member. Help out others, improve the quality of your work, and know how to recognize when you are not in the right. I'm sure the meanest of the high-rank members in this site would not mind you like that.

Do you have a personal story to this?

Also, this thread's posts appear too quickly. There's 10 new ones posted during the time I took to write this.

Should be longer now.

[spoiler=b**** please]Accurate measuring tool. 1 user = 1 inch.
7sNbeZI.jpg
I had to zoom out to get it all.[/spoiler]
OT: 

If those aggressive users start attacking you as an individual, what you have to do is report them since there IS law enforcement in the form of mods.

This. Feel free to PM me or any of the other mods.

So how do I get people here to not think of me as an idiot?

Haven't you and I had this discussion like...five times?

Anyway, I feel like I should be criticizing the content of the original post for stating the obvious and mostly just preaching about a situation without a real "fix" involved. If your view was so easy to do, I'm pretty sure bigotry and prejudice would be gone from the world by now.

This elitism that is spoken of exists EVERYWHERE in the entire world. People claim a status, and use that status to KEEP that perceived status by showcasing their weaker counterparts as entertainment for the people in between. The amusement of their peers sets them above one group. Popular kids pick on the "loser" kids, etc.

Actually, I recall about a year or so back, we had a number of members who were nothing short of jerkass trolls that had accumulated a following of people who liked them, and had a high post count and reputation, which I noticed gave them essential immunity from punishment, despite a ridiculous number of offenses. Ah...the sweet thrill of permabanning the lot of them, plus instating the unofficial policy that if they resurfaced and resumed their old tricks, to squash them before they could regain that status and the implied immunity associated with it. We have a much better community now.

I forgot what my next point was.

[spoiler=b**** please]Accurate measuring tool. 1 user = 1 inch.

I had to zoom out to get it all.[/spoiler]

OT:

I was considering just adding people I lose to on DN all the time onto my ignored loser user list.

I have only "had" to use it when I can't freaking stand people's sigs.

xD

So your penis is like 20 inches long. Thar, write that down.

OT: If these undesirable actually exists, the redeeming should come from themselves, in my opinion.

I agree completely.

Why are you even using the blocking feature for a majority of who you block absolutely no content?

My main focus in terms of this topic, however, is not the matter of social darwinism Striker put light on as a whole compared to the rarer scenarios where legitimate antagonism does happen. It could not be blatant, of course, but there are many occasions of very negative emotions invoked thanks to a false sense of justice combined with even falser tenacity (where it is obvious that nobody cares to be indomitable) to publicly shame a person. Why would anybody be charitable to superfluous conflict and not the attempt to better understand whoever they had a problem with privately? It certainly seems like people enjoy flocking together above a common victim to feel self-validated.

this thread feels like striker's last-ditch effort at gaining some respect

ycm is a very elitist message-board.  actually, society in general tends to work that way.  sometimes people don't like you, sometimes people do.  it's just how you present yourself.  if you wish to become more and more accepted, try to avoid a couple of unlikable qualities, i.e. being whiny, being bad, ignoring others opinions and trying to butt into things that don't concern you.

Why are you even using the blocking feature for a majority of who you block absolutely no content?

My main focus in terms of this topic, however, is not the matter of social darwinism Striker put light on as a whole compared to the rarer scenarios where legitimate antagonism does happen. It could not be blatant, of course, but there are many occasions of very negative emotions invoked thanks to a false sense of justice combined with even falser tenacity (where it is obvious that nobody cares to be indomitable) to publicly shame a person. Why would anybody be charitable to superfluous conflict and not the attempt to better understand whoever they had a problem with privately? It certainly seems like people enjoy flocking together above a common victim to feel self-validated.

Why are people using their blocked users list as a form of compensating? That just implies they're easily irritated by small nuisances. Not exactly the embodiment of masculinity, guys.

Of course they feel self-validated by flocking on a common victim. They're "cool", so long as they can say "I'm not as stupid as member X!". If they join in the bashing of member X, then they're not at the bottom rung, and therefore have a chance to be viewed as funny, and maybe eventually popular.

Archived