YCM: How Our Society Is Messed Up And How It Can Be Fixed

Nathanael D. Striker

Of course they feel self-validated by flocking on a common victim. They're "cool", so long as they can say "I'm not as stupid as member X!". If they join in the bashing of member X, then they're not at the bottom rung, and therefore have a chance to be viewed as funny, and maybe eventually popular.

And the anonymity of the Internet allows this system to perpetuate, because they don't get to see the expression on the face of member X that they are bashing, or hear their emotions in their voice.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I am reminded through all this of those awful concepts of popularity that High School settings on TV wanna sell, with the stereotypical "cool" kids and the "losers".

Is that even a real concept IRL in High Schools? I mean, there's no such thing as an untouchable student, and at least from my personal experience people don't segregate themselves into specific social classes that tend to dislike other social classes of segregated people. People are just themselves and get friends from the most unlikely places, and people have a life they usually rather would try to enjoy instead of, whatever the media wants you to believe.

I'm aware this is probably not very on topic, but it just made me think of that, and how I dislike High School Musical-like settings for that reason.

Why are people using their blocked users list as a form of compensating? That just implies they're easily irritated by small nuisances. Not exactly the embodiment of masculinity, guys.

Of course they feel self-validated by flocking on a common victim. They're "cool", so long as they can say "I'm not as stupid as member X!". If they join in the bashing of member X, then they're not at the bottom rung, and therefore have a chance to be viewed as funny, and maybe eventually popular.

Underline: When you have someone who has card art that looks freaky as hell all up their signature's butt you don't actually want to have to see it.

Bold: Masculinity is overrated.

Onto the Italics now, shall we? I know plenty of people who themselves define cool. They don't let anyone shape that, and set the model for being "cool."

I am also slightly offended that you think YCM works that way. I do not see this thinking whatsoever in our members. They don't think "I'm not as stupid as" or any of this bottom rung crap. We all may be stupid but we aren't absolute jerks.

And they should be looking at themselves in a mirror saying "dangit, why can't I be as stupid as member X"

That is what I love about YCM. We can all be pretty dang stupid while talking about the stuff we love.

I simply do not see this desire in people on this forum to just hop on a bashing train to be more popular. We hop on the bashing train because its fun and often members don't know when to shut up =P

I know I am somewhat contradicting myself here...

Why are you even using the blocking feature for a majority of who you block absolutely no content?

My main focus in terms of this topic, however, is not the matter of social darwinism Striker put light on as a whole compared to the rarer scenarios where legitimate antagonism does happen. It could not be blatant, of course, but there are many occasions of very negative emotions invoked thanks to a false sense of justice combined with even falser tenacity (where it is obvious that nobody cares to be indomitable) to publicly shame a person. Why would anybody be charitable to superfluous conflict and not the attempt to better understand whoever they had a problem with privately? It certainly seems like people enjoy flocking together above a common victim to feel self-validated.

____

In the six years I've been here, I've realized that people do that because the "respected" members do it, so they think they'll become big by joining the mob.

EDIT: Goddangit! Everybody's posting uberfast! :O

I was considering just adding people I lose to on DN all the time onto my ignored loser user list.

I have only "had" to use it when I can't freaking stand people's sigs.

xD
So your penis is like 20 inches long. Thar, write that down.

Derailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg

Why are you even using the blocking feature for a majority of who you block absolutely no content?

My main focus in terms of this topic, however, is not the matter of social darwinism Striker put light on as a whole compared to the rarer scenarios where legitimate antagonism does happen. It could not be blatant, of course, but there are many occasions of very negative emotions invoked thanks to a false sense of justice combined with even falser tenacity (where it is obvious that nobody cares to be indomitable) to publicly shame a person. Why would anybody be charitable to superfluous conflict and not the attempt to better understand whoever they had a problem with privately? It certainly seems like people enjoy flocking together above a common victim to feel self-validated.

36304979.jpg

this thread feels like striker's last-ditch effort at gaining some respect

ycm is a very elitist message-board.  actually, society in general tends to work that way.  sometimes people don't like you, sometimes people do.  it's just how you present yourself.  if you wish to become more and more accepted, try to avoid a couple of unlikable qualities, i.e. being whiny, being bad, ignoring others opinions and trying to butt into things that don't concern you.
Take notes, FinalFan.

Okay, I'll be serious now. This thread presents no solution other than "people please be nicer to each other, pretty please". So really, for a slightly more legit solution not really then would you guys like it if us mods simply deleted/locked stuff on site when things start getting ugly and if things continue hand out warns? We actually aren't cracking down much really, I admit that. However, whatever we do, it's up to the non-elites to present themselves with dignity and earn that "respect". There's no magic button that resets everything like Striker wants to imagine there is. Best way is to try to be a helpful member as Sleepy said and listen to any advice thrown your way.

And the anonymity of the Internet allows this system to perpetuate, because they don't get to see the expression on the face of member X that they are bashing, or hear their emotions in their voice.

There's an interesting phenomenon I've seen where a new member uploads a card at RC, gets some cut-dry direct criticism, takes it offensively and starts thinking he/she is being targeted by those sorts of "cool" wannabe members, and just start flaming and go away.

Guess there's also a need to raise awareness that you can't be too harsh with new people from the get go. Everyone's taken those kinds of comments badly at least the first time before we learn better. =0

Somehow I am reminded through all this of those awful concepts of popularity that High School settings on TV wanna sell, with the stereotypical "cool" kids and the "losers".

Is that even a real concept IRL in High Schools? I mean, there's no such thing as an untouchable student, and at least from my personal experience people don't segregate themselves into specific social classes that tend to dislike other social classes of segregated people. People are just themselves and get friends from the most unlikely places, and people have a life they usually rather would try to enjoy instead of, whatever the media wants you to believe.

I'm aware this is probably not very on topic, but it just made me think of that, and how I dislike High School Musical-like settings for that reason.

Those media examples are exaggerations of the concept.

A more accurate view is that there are people who have a small circle of friends. They're confident people, and can interact with others and make friends easily, but they don't always hang around with those other people all the time. They stick to that small circle. They don't usually target specific demographics, either. The "jocks" don't really target "the geeks". They usually focus on one easy target. Someone they can get a reaction from, without fear of retaliation. This type of targeting can be completely harmless, or it can be incredibly malicious. It varies.

But because they make friends easily, they have several "friends of friends", making their numbers and popularity seem much larger than it typically would be. Whereas the more quiet, introverted people tend to only have a few friends, and that's it.

Underline: When you have someone who has card art that looks freaky as hell all up their signature's butt you don't actually want to have to see it.

Bold: Masculinity is overrated.

Onto the Italics now, shall we? I know plenty of people who themselves define cool. They don't let anyone shape that, and set the model for being "cool."

I am also slightly offended that you think YCM works that way. I do not see this thinking whatsoever in our members. They don't think "I'm not as stupid as" or any of this bottom rung crap. We all may be stupid but we aren't absolute jerks.

And they should be looking at themselves in a mirror saying "dangit, why can't I be as stupid as member X"

That is what I love about YCM. We can all be pretty dang stupid while talking about the stuff we love.

I simply do not see this desire in people on this forum to just hop on a bashing train to be more popular. We hop on the bashing train because its fun and often members don't know when to shut up =P

I can testify since I've been here with no vacations since 2008, that the site has had darker times. Right now I don't really see not-so-nice people. I've seen worst.

____

In the six years I've been here, I've realized that people do that because the "respected" members do it, so they think they'll become big by joining the mob.

EDIT: Goddangit! Everybody's posting uberfast! :O

I have to be honest here in my asking the following question, but exactly who are those "respected" members? I have certainly been here for a while, myself (over four years), but I have no idea as to exactly who those people that inspire negativity are anymore. It certainly is dynamic, but who now so that I could at least understand the concept empirically and not anecdotally?

There's an interesting phenomenon I've seen where a new member uploads a card at RC, gets some cut-dry direct criticism, takes it offensively and starts thinking he/she is being targeted by those sorts of "cool" wannabe members, and just start flaming and go away.

I think we've all seen it.

That's why you have the "cool kids" and the "cardmakers"

I feel RC people need educating on what reviews are and to not just want "dur hur 10/5 send it to konami".

And also what Yugioh is.

Anyyyy who

People need to be willing to accept other people. Noobs shouldn't expect jack squat handed to them, and instead should earn it.

Elites need to not be so godang better at Yugioh than I am condensing and emos need to not be dramatic and emotional about everything. =3

Basically take a joke and give everyone hugs rainbows and friendship

But because they make friends easily, they have several "friends of friends", making their numbers and popularity seem much larger than it typically would be. Whereas the more quiet, introverted people tend to only have a few friends, and that's it.

Or they have no friends

*sits in corner*

I can testify since I've been here with no vacations since 2008, that the site has had darker times. Right now I don't really see not-so-nice people. I've seen worst.

But what changed that?
My money is on....

People started standing up for themselves

Seeking law, order, and justice

Realized YCM is not for making cards

And finally, stopped caring what others said. 

Also the whole "rules" and "mods who actually do things" comes to mind.

For such an unjust society to exist the government must've been crap. 

This is just my view as someone on the outside looking in. I don't see the appeal to bashing people, therefore I can't say with certainty what the motives are for people who do this. I also tend to exaggerate things when I'm focusing on a specific phenomenon, such as people flocking to victimize someone. If everyone in a group say Member X is stupid, I imagine that Member Z might do the same to draw attention, however unsuccessfully, to the fact that Member Z is, in fact, not as dumb as Member X.

Whether this is literally true, I sincerely doubt it. But I can see it as a subconscious action or motivation that goes along with the "fun". But I also can see that people follow the mob mentality. They don't try to defend the member because they'll probably get attacked in return, so them joining in is a way of feeling accepted.

[spoiler=b**** please]
7sNbeZI.jpg
I had to zoom out to get it all.[/spoiler]

>Ignoring coolspy
1300044776986.jpg

*Ahem*

who are those "respected" members?

TCG SECTION MASTER RACE
Could just be people who are typically seen everywhere, and are generally known by a lot of people.
Which is kind of ironic in it's own right, because said "respect" mostly comes from the fact it, again, depends on who you hang with. Since, you know, the kind of aura one gives off depends on how you communicate with people, more so then actual words/interests. I mean, nobody exactly "chooses" who they hang with, part of it is the fact something about someone just 'clicks' with them- BOOM; Instant friends.
(I've probably said this before at some point, but it's still true)

I think we've all seen it.

That's why you have the "cool kids" and the "cardmakers"

I feel RC people need educating on what reviews are and to not just want "dur hur 10/5 send it to konami".

And also what Yugioh is.

Anyyyy who

People need to be willing to accept other people. Noobs shouldn't expect jack squat handed to them, and instead should earn it.

Elites need to not be so godang better at Yugioh than I am condensing and emos need to not be dramatic and emotional about everything. =3

Basically take a joke and give everyone hugs rainbows and friendship

Welcome to the herd [/insert pony image here]

The issue is that more often than not, those RC "cook kids" don't actually even exist. 

I think it's fine to treat new members more kindly. There's a way of saying someone's card sucks without telling them "your card is awful". Newly enrolled people are much more likely to get scared away. Eventually they get more experienced and can gradually learn that everything CAN be hugs and rainbows like you say.

This is just my view as someone on the outside looking in. I don't see the appeal to bashing people, therefore I can't say with certainty what the motives are for people who do this.

I suppose it reflects inner weakness. Often the aggressive people are quite weak or attacked IRL or by other people....and feel the need to sort of "get revenge". This is starting to sound like your last post, I'm trying to think of a way to word this....

basically your aggressive people break down like this 

1. Those who have pride (and its often justified)- they don't want some idiot showing up acting like he is better when he is not

2. Those who are weak on the inside- these people don't want to keep being subject to being weak IRL or whatever so they think the Internet is a perfect spot to let out a wild roar (Hi)
3. People who just like to step all over people. They think they are better than everyone and don't want squat to challenge it.

I don't see much of three here. One and two are dominant.

Oh and adding a fourth

4. Those who are aggressive simply because it is fun or they get a kick out of being stupid or annoying people (Hi again)

This all sounds like ramblings in my head but hopefully I'm not just being stupid.

I think I'm becoming 2 and 4 IRL....=P

>Ignoring coolspy
1300044776986.jpg

*Ahem*
TCG SECTION MASTER RACE
Could just be people who are typically seen everywhere, and are generally known by a lot of people.
Which is kind of ironic in it's own right, because said "respect" mostly comes from the fact it, again, depends on who you hang with. Since, you know, the kind of aura one gives off depends on how you communicate with people, more so then actual words/interests. I mean, nobody exactly "chooses" who they hang with, part of it is the fact something about someone just 'clicks' with them- BOOM; Instant friends.
(I've probably said this before at some point, but it's still true)

This exactly. It really varies from person to person.

I've had people tell me they had never seen me around despite being here for the last 6 or so years. I've seen many people not know DL (you know, just the person with the most posts in the entire forum).

Social problems are not entirely possible to solve on our own, but it's a good start.

BTW, just out of curiosity, am I in anybody's ignore lists? (of course if I am, the person that apply to this can't see my post haha)

To make a long story short, this thread is just YCM trying to do a social analysis.

Should harsh comments be reported? Not going to give a warn, unless it is a persistent problem, but once reported, a mod could step in and just say "don't be so harsh". If these things were reported, even things that are just borderline harsh, it would be easier to keep track of who's causing the bad feelings around YCM. Sure it might swarm the Report Centre, but it's better than us sitting on our asses all day doing nothing.

I have to be honest here in my asking the following question, but exactly who are those "respected" members? I have certainly been here for a while, myself (over four years), but I have no idea as to exactly who those people that inspire negativity are anymore. It certainly is dynamic, but who now so that I could at least understand the concept empirically and not anecdotally?

_____

Well, in regards to the TCG section circa 2009-2011 (probably before that), which is where I saw the bulk of member abuse, the "respected" members were the ones who were good at the game, and were seen by others (like myself, admittingly) as funny for abusing the bad players, and got huge reps for it. Most of them left for better things in life (college, one of them got married and sold his cards, some likely quit the game, some got sick of the community, a few were perma'd, etc.)

BTW, just out of curiosity, am I in anybody's ignore lists? (of course if I am, the person that apply to this can't see my post haha)

You can just ignore sigs or posts or PMs or all three

but yes

i am ignoring you (r sig)

stupid ponies

go away

Nah you're good.

To make a long story short, this thread is just YCM trying to do a social analysis.

Which is needed, IMO.

I love actually thinking for once and having an intelligent conversation.

Learning so much

Your Penis is 20 inches long, mine isn't long enough, etc etc

_____

Well, in regards to the TCG section circa 2009-2011 (probably before that), which is where I saw the bulk of member abuse, the "respected" members were the ones who were good at the game, and were seen by others (like myself, admittingly) as funny for abusing the bad players, and got huge reps for it. Most of them left for better things in life (college, one of them got married and sold his cards, some likely quit the game, some got sick of the community, a few were perma'd, etc.)

This is pretty accurate. The respected people were skilled, but had terrible attitudes and a penchant for trolling and being jerkasses. Because of their site experience and reputation, they were spared truly harsh penalties. They still accumulated a sizeable warn list, and numerous short-term bans that proved completely ineffective to curbing their behavior.

It's like trying to fire someone who had worked at your company for years. They deserved to be gotten rid of, but they spent so much time...ugh.

Thankfully, the worst of them were purged in one swoop. Looking back, we've seen an incredible improvement. For one, I don't have to hand out numerous warns daily because of a repeat offender being an arrogant jerk AGAIN.

Archived