The Pen & Sword Lounge

Ren✧

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I couldn't think of anything for the contest. Next contest should have a prompt rather than a rule.

I am taking suggestions for next contest, so far the 'fly on the wall' idea seems to be most popular, but I am open to any ideas. Thanks for voting, btw

Show dont Tell.

...that's what you have been saying for like a week now...

And while I agree that showing allows for a more established scenery, I feel as if there needs to be a balance between the two otherwise you find yourself with a LOT of unneeded fluff. 

Guys, we should compile a writing guide.

Sounds fun! :D...unfortunately I'm about to find myself quite busy over these next few weeks, but I'll try to contribute what I can.

Telling is often used for humorous effect.

its not exactly a balance.

Also I think youre thinkin of showing as description.

let me give an example.

Show: ''I will not bow down to you!'' Ray exclaimed, clenching his teeth, he tightened his fists and dug his feet into the ground, with an intent gaze on Max, who coldly laughed at him.

Tell: ''I will not bow down to you!'' Ray exclaimed. He was angry, and frustrated at having lost. He glared at Max, who laughed at him in a superior way.

See the difference?

Telling is often used for humorous effect.

its not exactly a balance.

Also I think youre thinkin of showing as description.

let me give an example.

Show: ''I will not bow down to you!'' Ray exclaimed, clenching his teeth, he tightened his fists and dug his feet into the ground, with an intent gaze on Max, who coldly laughed at him.

Tell: ''I will not bow down to you!'' Ray exclaimed. He was angry, and frustrated at having lost. He glared at Max, who laughed at him in a superior way.

See the difference?

Oh okay! I never really saw that as showing, really just more eloquent writing, lol. I thought you were referring to over-describing things to build up the scenery. That is one of the reasons I couldn't really get through some of JRR Tolkens novels, I didn't like the excessive description. 

Oh nono, showing isnt just about description. Its just a part of it

And showing a scenerry is of course, MUCH better than telling someone about it

Hard

But worth it

The gentle petals on the flower, with a single drop of morning dew sliding down its lime green sides, gently moved in the wind.

Sounds better than

The pretty flower moved in the wind

XDD

Regarding 'show not tell' description:

I am aware I go too far in places, but I agree with DL's comments.

Regarding the next contest:

Hopefully I'll be in a better position to make more of an effort next time. No real suggestions as to what do.

Regarding a writing guide:

I can post a shed ton of quotes and advice from my 'Do the Work!' book that have helped me in places.

Yeah, I'm more of a show person. Unless motifs require telling, I see no reason to explain things.

Can't really say much for the writing guide. My writing is basically fan-service if not anything boring.

Well, I mean. If things that happen don't make sense and you're not really going to explain it, then you're probably not showing either.

Like, the writing should be able to reasonably, even easily, imply what it is you as a writer are trying to tell the reader– be it through action, expression, etc. If you can't do that, then telling is definitely your best option.

I mean, unless you want to keep it ambiguous. But you gotta be careful between being ambiguous and looking like you got no idea what you're doing.

Like I said, telling is usually used for some form of humorous insight into characters thoughts.

Its pretty fun.

But telling when you could SHOW is...not recommendable.

Another important point is to try to not use words like would,should,could,going to (verb),was (verb)

Well, isn't first-personing all about monologues? It's just constant talking and explaining from one's point of view really.

It doesn't necessarily need to be. A first-person speaker could spend their entire time trying to be a 3rd person speaker, while continuously doing it wrong because people aren't omnipotent.

Yeah, but it doesn't have the right feel. It's all about seeing through their eyes and knowing only them. Unless the character IS omnipotent, then it might be interesting.

Well I mean, you can still get to know them simply by HOW they talk about the world around them. (pronouns, word choice) Not to mention the fact that they're still interacting with the people around them. You don't need to be TOLD their every passing thought to understand the narrator as a character. Especially when what you really need to know about them as a character is the exact opposite of what they tell you they are. (looking at you, Nick Carraway)

Archived