Blueblood [ OoC | PG-16 | Started | Not Accepting ]

Aix

I have a really long shift at work today, so i wont be able to get the rest of Eryn's interactions done until tonight. But I'll try to finish them when i get home.

Again, because Chaos Sonic has me confused and I wanted to make sure, are we piloting a standard mech at the start of the rp, or are we flying what we specifically put in our apps? I'm assuming its the latter.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be fine for you guys to pilot your custom mechs actually, but Sonic, if you want something special for later on into the series, you can start off with just a Gawain then. Um in this universe, we'll call the Gawain... Beowulf MK-II (MK-II cuz why not). You guys can have special treatment of sorts since I'll have it that you guys are assigned to Lonn's flagship.

I think we'll start soon, I'm almost done the IC post. Getting the interactions done isn't 100% necessary since a lot of you misunderstood and put "what I think of everyone" instead of "what past interactions have I had with everyone". Herrman's diary is completely cool though.

Since i really like writing content for this rp, would it be alright with you if i wrote bios for the empire's standard mecha, aix?

Sure. If you have anything else you want to add to the OP go ahead and post them here.

Actually... what if, instead of Verena herself casting lightning, I have her mech be able to cast lightning, or similar to that? Would that be a possibility?

Lightning cannot travel through a vacuum... I think... so it wouldn't work in the majority of battles.

Lightning cannot travel through a vacuum... I think... so it wouldn't work in the majority of battles.

Lightning as it looks like lightning on Earth doesn't happen in a vacuum. There is nothing to act as a medium for electrons to flow so it just dissipates in all directions and it couldn't be seen since the light we see from lightning comes from the resistance of the air heating the molecules causing it to giving off the signature light.  (<- Physics major)

Should be fine for you guys to pilot your custom mechs actually, but Sonic, if you want something special for later on into the series, you can start off with just a Gawain then. Um in this universe, we'll call the Gawain... Beowulf MK-II (MK-II cuz why not). You guys can have special treatment of sorts since I'll have it that you guys are assigned to Lonn's flagship.

Oh no I thought you said we'd get the mechas that were in our apps would be given to us later XD

My bad at misinterpreting!

I meant Draegan's regeneration is fine, but his mech's isn't. Anyway, I finished the IC post and it will be up soon. For people who are posting, I'd like the more perceptive of characters to perhaps note upon that there are lights in the sky, it is daytime, but still vaguely visible. An enemy fleet is above and somehow undetected by defenses. Most of you will actually be standing with Lonn, behind as you are part of his personal crew. Will be updating OP with some stuff.

Id assume a few chaacters would be on standby as a precaution no? Perhaps one or two squads of mecha?

The thing is, the expectation is that warping can be picked up and there are scouting drones in a large perimeter around the planet.

Y'know, I keep wondering why everyone's trying so hard to be a non-conformist right from the start. It's like there's a global misconception that 'oh, if my character doesn't break / transcend the rules of the universe somehow, he's not worth writing'. 'Oh, the plot starts from that direction, clearly my character must do something else to set themselves apart'.

The 'main character starts out as a superhero' trope is more of a visual medium strategy - it does not translate well in purely written works (that are by nature longer in overall structure and less reliant on impressionism to captivate the audience). Good stories are mostly about everyday people (everyday in the sense of their respective universe) getting themselves in over their heads, and trying hard to accomplish their goals, armed only with the same qualities that those everyday people have. And yes, there are countless 'chosen one' stories where the protagonist does end up special - but in comparatively very few of those did they actually start out that way. In the vast majority of cases, they start off average (or commonly less than average, but that's a different story), so that when they do earn their 'chosen' status and powers, whatever they may be, it feels like they deserved them.

This applies doubly to community RPs, where your character isn't the main character; rather, he can be thought of as a part of a roster of equally important characters. In Warcraft III, Arthas beat Illidan. Your character can't be Arthas. Rather, your character will be one of the members of the raid party that defeats Illidan in World of Warcraft, and you have to work with that in mind. The more outlandish and special your character is, the more the story will gravitate towards him, and the more the story gravitates towards a few limited characters, the less likely the RP's success is.

tl;dr rather than write your character unique and special, try to make a character that earns the right to be unique and special. That means sometimes you just have to go with the flow, and your character can't be that special snowflake that's already shooting at the enemy when everyone else is still in their pajamas.

[this was not written in response to a specific post, just something that I thought was worth pointing out, after reading through some of the applications]

Y'know, I keep wondering why everyone's trying so hard to be a non-conformist right from the start. It's like there's a global misconception that 'oh, if my character doesn't break / transcend the rules of the universe somehow, he's not worth writing'. 'Oh, the plot starts from that direction, clearly my character must do something else to set themselves apart'.

The 'main character starts out as a superhero' trope is more of a visual medium strategy - it does not translate well in purely written works (that are by nature longer in overall structure and less reliant on impressionism to captivate the audience). Good stories are mostly about everyday people (everyday in the sense of their respective universe) getting themselves in over their heads, and trying hard to accomplish their goals, armed only with the same qualities that those everyday people have. And yes, there are countless 'chosen one' stories where the protagonist does end up special - but in comparatively very few of those did they actually start out that way. In the vast majority of cases, they start off average (or commonly less than average, but that's a different story), so that when they do earn their 'chosen' status and powers, whatever they may be, it feels like they deserved them.

This applies doubly to community RPs, where your character isn't the main character; rather, he can be thought of as a part of a roster of equally important characters. In Warcraft III, Arthas beat Illidan. Your character can't be Arthas. Rather, your character will be one of the members of the raid party that defeats Illidan in World of Warcraft, and you have to work with that in mind. The more outlandish and special your character is, the more the story will gravitate towards him, and the more the story gravitates towards a few limited characters, the less likely the RP's success is.

tl;dr rather than write your character unique and special, try to make a character that earns the right to be unique and special. That means sometimes you just have to go with the flow, and your character can't be that special snowflake that's already shooting at the enemy when everyone else is still in their pajamas.

[this was not written in response to a specific post, just something that I thought was worth pointing out, after reading through some of the applications]

unless this is referring to the IC which I have not yet taken a look at, it's completely wrong.

Our characters are either racists or morons. And a robot in this case.

Our characters were all meant to do well in the first place, because as Aix says in the first post they're all closely acquainted to the fucking Admiral.

Archived